Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 76
Men Who Never Learned to CookPage 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

my family only cooked hamburger helper.

Article 239-1002 C of the Geneva convention forbids feeding prisoners of war Hamburger helper with object of obtaining information from such individual. Violations will be prosecute by a human's right court on the Hague.
 CharminC
Msg: 77
Men Who Never Learned to Cook
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:19:30 AM
double post
 CharminC
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:20:48 AM

A fantastic first date. Chemistry...electric in the air. Staring into each other's eyes with intensity.
The fellow tells the woman he would like to see see her again.
She answers 'It depends. Can you cook?'
He answers 'Yes'. She sighs with exhilaration
Then he adds 'Can you change the oil and filter on a Ford Pick Up?
She answers 'Show me how and I can'....the spell is unbroken
Alas, it is meant to be.

Fixed it

If my 10 yr old can cook, there is no excuse
however, everyone has a reason or story so no judgement
because they can always learn. It's not hard to.
It's when they don't want to I would raise an issue.

sidenote* holy cripes, I'm seeing reg forumites updating pics and you all look AWESOME!! Truly :)
 activemelaney
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:24:15 AM
My father made me promise never to change a tire and told my two daughters the same. I've driven for 40 years and have had maybe 5 flat tires. Never not had a guy stop within 10 minutes and offer to fix it.

He was a police officer. He had seen a few accidents over the years. People hit by cars while changing tires and cars falling on people if not improperly jacked up . He told me to put on the flashers and sit in the car with the seat belt on...if there was plenty of pullover space. If not, put the flashers on and get well way from the vehicle and well off the roadside. Better to wait a few hours than to be dead.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:25:56 AM

Err, a leaky washer? Once every 5-10 years?
New power point? Once every blue moon?
Mealtimes? 21 a week on average?

Possibly performing two basic tasks in 10 years that a 12 year old with a bit of aptitude and the ability to use google could manage means you shouldn't have to cook?

Hahahahaha! *swoon* :o)

I can cook, everyone I know can cook something...even if it's beans in a can over a flame.
I can change a tire, but I don't. I call AAA.
I can change my oil and filter, but I don't, I take it to the shop with my coupons.
I can do a lot of stuffs that I don't do anymore...and neither do a lot of guys I know.
Seriously...who's kidding who?

I don't mind cooking, I don't mind sharing the cooking, but I don't like doing everything for
anyone who doesn't want to do something for themselves...who does?

Cooking is certainly not a big deal or a dealbreaker for me.
People have their strong points usually....and with luck, in a relationship, it's all about balance.
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:26:54 AM
The only Mac and cheese I ever liked is the one my late g-ma made. She used whole milk, cottage cheese and some grated cheeses. The processed stuff is horrible. Can't eat fattening dishes like this anymore.
 chameleonf
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/20/2015 9:19:14 AM
My ex never cooked other than heating stuff up or an occasional fried egg but at least he'd ask if I wanted the same on those odd occasions. Some time after we parted ways, he asked me to make him a cookbook of all his favourite recipes I used to cook for him and apparently refers to it often and now cooks for his girlfriend. Funny how that goes. Me thinks it was more a case of me letting him get away with expectations of me doing the cooking, rather than him refusing to do it. You only get walked on or used as much as you allow yourself to be, whether it's cooking or anything else. Had I let him fend for himself frequently, I may have had the pleasure of the occasional full home cooked meal from him while he learned what he's now learned. As it was, he reciprocated in his own way with restaurant or fast food. Now, I still don't "expect" a guy to cook for me and he's s.o.l. if he "expects" me to cook for him. Every guy I've been with since has probably made as many meals for me as I have for them, probably because they wound up having to learn by fending for themselves. I like cooking - I hate the clean up. I'd gladly cook every meal if the trade off was that someone else did the cleaning.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/20/2015 9:26:41 AM

sidenote* holy cripes, I'm seeing reg forumites updating pics and you all look AWESOME!! Truly :)

Wow, look who's talking!! :p:p:p

Some beautiful lady saw my headline. :)
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/20/2015 9:58:38 AM
Growing up in a family with 10 kids altogether and country living.....roles were mostly traditional.
Being the only female amongst 4 brothers left at home...I learned how to cook, bake and clean from a young age.
The chores were split between the boys...ie: milking, feeding chickens and dogs, garbage burn, etc...
I would have gladly taken on all their chores in exchange...lol.

Throughout my years being a tomboy and a grass widow, then a real widow...I have learned how to change oil, tires, small electrical change outs, I hammer, drill and just last fall...I changed out my hot water tank by myself... ;)
Where there's a will there's a way...If I am strong enough.
Yes...I google everything.

If I had a man who would cook for me or even shared.....I would think, I have died and gone to heaven....
Have a meet today....wish me luck!
 spot4username
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:04:50 AM
I despise cooking. Always have. When my sons were growing up I cooked for them. Nothing fancy. They turned out fine (and 2 of them went to college on athletics). Sometimes they contact me asking how to make something I used to make when they were growing up so there is that.

Obviously I don't care if a man can't cook for me. It isn't even on my radar when I am thinking about qualities that I would like a potential "significant other".

I never cook now. It is just me and I don't want to spend time doing something that I don't get any enjoyment from. It just so happens to be Restaurant Week this week on my lovely little island. I made my favorite thing - reservations every night.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:05:10 AM
Wishing you good luck, Fire and Ice!

Hope your meet goes well!

:o)

I wonder how long I have to be here before I can post short
messages?
 gtomustang
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:12:35 AM
repairing cars isn't like it was 20 yrs ago. The 2007 truck I inherited from my father passed the tailpipe emissions test, but b/c a kid half my age couldn't get the computer to "find his", the truck failed and has to be driven 200 miles for the computer to (hopefully) wave its little hand to let us know where it went, by throwing a code so a mechanic can finally figure out what's wrong by pluging something in that tells it to him. WTF. And I understand a cop saying he's seen something dangerous before, so he tells his kids, "don't do that". Personally, i'd rather teach my children how to do something dangerous the right way, rather than be at the mercy of strangers, but that's just me.

One benefit of getting your hands dirty is getting to know things better, so you learn that the mechanic trying to sell you new muffler bearings for your front suspension is ripping you off. Another benefit is learning what you can, and can't do...and being at peace with either result. Knowing how to cook and run the washing machine helped when my mother got dementia and my father had no real clue of how--I could do it for them. And even when an aide who could cook moved in, I still did it for my parents since, naturally, they weren't going to be around for much longer.

If someone can't cook or can't clean or can't repair, but has a great "tool chest", then its all good :) No seriously, if someone loves playing with horses and I don't and we don't connect as a result....that's OK. Neither of us is a bad person, just a bad choice in partners. and that's all it is.

post-script:if you really want to know if you can pull off an appliance or auto repair, look on YouTube. no, seriously.
 Following_Up
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:21:21 AM

No seriously, if someone loves playing with horses and I don't and we don't connect as a result....that's OK. Neither of us is a bad person, just a bad choice in partners. and that's all it is.

+100

Just because someone does not value/participate/enjoy the same things I do doesn't mean there is a moral failing on their part, we just likely won't be a good fit.

I suppose I will never understand why people are so eager to see THEIR way as THE way.

OT - I am generally tickled when I meet a guy who 1) likes to cook for me OR 2) is appreciative when I cook for him. It's nice to be able to have those 'home dates' and still eat well :)
 cooldog65
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:24:41 AM
I have no problem cooking for myself. My skills are marginal, but I get by. My ex-wife was a marginal cook, too. We didn't starve.

If a woman cooks for me, I always say thank you and tell her how much I appreciate the work she put in.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:53:55 AM
there are also WOMEN who never learned to cook..not to be totally sexist here..
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:24:33 AM
That story you related about a guy who couldn't cook, OP, seems to be much less about his inability to cook than about the fact that he was not a match for you and about your own poor boundaries.

You invited him for 3 days, he stayed for 10. HOW? He was getting on your nerves and you felt overtaxed and you cooked every meal for 10 days. WHY? If you didn't want to do those things, why didn't you just say so and refrained from doing them, rather than putting up with it and then acting like a martyr?

Poor boundaries cannot be fixed by having silly hard and fast rules like "if you can't cook, I won't date you, ever." What about if he can't cook but takes you out to dinner five days a week? What about if he can't cook but has a cook/housekeeper? What about if he can't cook but loves your cooking and always cleans up the kitchen?

This kind of lack of flexibility and failure to look at the total situation, seeing red flags around every corner, is exactly what keeps people single.

Me, I'm happily cooking for my husband and myself several times a day because I love to cook. He's happily writing papers and doing all his other work, paying all our bills, because he loves his work and he loves to have me around to enjoy life with him.

I think it's a sweet deal, but of course, hey, he can't cook.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:34:54 AM

Me, I'm happily cooking for my husband and myself several times a day because I love to cook.

Husband?

Congratulations to the two of you!!! Awesome. I wish you guys the best!
 OtisGreening
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:37:06 AM

there are also WOMEN who never learned to cook..not to be totally sexist here..

OP is not dating women. Not everything has to be gender inclusive.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:39:35 AM
Thank you, La Jefa.
 OtisGreening
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:41:01 AM
De nada, senorito.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/20/2015 12:21:20 PM
I am quite capable of burning toast as well as anyone.

I can boil water.

My microwave is my best friend.

Heating up stuff from cans doesn't count as cooking

DOES TOO !

what IS so blasted hard about cooking?

Sometimes those microwave instructions are in really small print.

I like having a well balanced diet

Me too.
Some days it's chocolate donuts, some days glazed, some days maple bars, some days raspberry filled.

Maybe left back in 1962.
"To Serve Man" is episode 89 of the anthology series The Twilight Zone. It originally aired on March 2, 1962 on CBS.

DON'T GET ON THE SPACESHIP !

Everyone should know how to make a speghetti/Mac and cheese dish.

Chef Boy-R-Dee and I are on a first name basis:
" Boy ! That was some fine spaghetti tonight."

Extra hands make the job go faster

Or......"too many cooks spoil the broth."

Carry on.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/20/2015 12:24:40 PM
Congrats lilimarleen and hubby..

Does this mean you're off the market? :D
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:06:45 PM

OP is not dating women. Not everything has to be gender inclusive.

You may want to go & Read the Rules of this Forum..... If a Subject can be Gender Neutral, the Rules say it Should be Gender Neutral/Inclusive. Don't like it, go make Your own Forum......
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:15:06 PM
I learned how to cook from a very early age, it's a Latin culture thing, you have to learn how to take care of a house, how to take care of a man, how to take care of children, before you even get your period, lol. Mom taught me all the "women" stuff, and my dad taught me all the "men" stuff, like assembling furniture, fixing things around the house, electrical stuff, how to clean and use a gun, how to defend myself, caulk tiles, maintenance for a car, how to use tools and what are their names, how to throw/catch a ball, etc.

It's like you don't know what life has in store, so you are prepped for survival before you even have to think about surviving.

I had rotating weekly chores which included cleaning the bathroom, doing the dishes 2-3 times a week, sweeping, moping, taking the trash out, making my bed, folding clothes, etc. My siblings and I assisted my mom with cooking, that's how we learned how to cook, we were assigned to clean meat, cut it up, cut all of the peppers, mash garlic and oregano in something called a "pilon", grate stuff, peel veggies, make "sofrito", etc. For big projects, like making "pasteles en hoja" which is a Puerto Rican tradition and my stepdad (who I consider my dad) was an old school Puerto Rican, it required the participation of all of us, like an assembly line.

I left for college at 17 and haven't had the obligation of ever doing any of those household chores. I moved out and into my own place at 22, and I've never had the desire to do any kind of cleaning or cooking. Yes, I know how to do all that crap but I don't want to. I can afford to eat whatever I want and I can afford to get cleaning services every two weeks.

Fortunately, all my past boyfriends knew how to cook and were good at it. I was never pressured to cook anything so I cooked very rarely.

As for a man who never learned how to cook? I don't care, I don't cook either (by choice), I can afford to eat out every day for every meal, and so should he. What's the big deal? Women are not in the obligation to cook for a man, what kinda sh*t is that? If he cannot cook, and wants to eat, he better order out, lol.

Let's keep in mind that I am able to fend off all of these "obligations" because I have no children (nor want any), I never lived with a man (except for a roommate once) nor do I ever want to live with anyone. As long as these things don't change, I will never have to cook or clean in my life, lol. That's another reason why I don't want children nor cohabiting, I don't want the responsibilities they come with. I want to just slide in and out any dating situation, at my leisure like a d*ck, lmao.
 OtisGreening
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:18:00 PM

You may want to go & Read the Rules of this Forum..... If a Subject can be Gender Neutral, the Rules say it Should be Gender Neutral/Inclusive. Don't like it, go make Your own Forum......

Rules, whatever. They're obviously not being enforced all that well if a gender exclusive thread makes it 3 or 4 pages.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook