Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 101
Men Who Never Learned to CookPage 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

mash garlic and oregano in something called a "pilon", grate stuff, peel veggies, make "sofrito", etc. For big projects, like making "pasteles en hoja" which is a Puerto Rican tradition and my stepdad (who I consider my dad) was an old school Puerto Rican, it required the participation of all of us, like an assembly line.

Belle, you're making me hungry.

We do a thing we call Hallacas, which is a mix of indian (carib), African and Spanish. Usually only during the holidays. We flatten white corn turned yellow with Anato on a banana leave, then put giso, some capers, olives, garbanzo, a piece of red pepper. We fold it, boil it and usually make about 50 to 100 of them. It takes that assembly line to make it. Men and women and usually some Ponche Crema to drink. We eat them through the holidays and exchange them with friends, family, coworkers. It takes so much work that it usually involves the whole family. The usual place would be a matriarch's house as opposed to a male relative.

Growing up I saw our maids or my mom cook. I did not learn until I went to college and missed all that great food. I can taste something and immediately tell you exactly what is in there. The only thing I don't do is bake. To exacting. I cook by feel so everything is a pinch of this, a pinch of that, and I can't stand to follow a recipe, I have to give it my own touch.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 102
Men Who Never Learned to Cook
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:11:22 PM
LilMarleen:
You invited him for 3 days, he stayed for 10. HOW? He was getting on your nerves and you felt overtaxed and you cooked every meal for 10 days. WHY? If you didn't want to do those things, why didn't you just say so and refrained from doing them, rather than putting up with it and then acting like a martyr?

Although Jim had extended his trip to 10 days, I took him to the airport on the fifth morning.

You're right: I over-functioned badly and didn't have appropriate boundaries with Jim. As an attorney, he was very persuasive. I learned from the experience.

"Jim must have though he died and went to heaven!" a male friend said. We laughed.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 103
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:45:02 PM

You may want to go & Read the Rules of this Forum..... If a Subject can be Gender Neutral, the Rules say it Should be Gender Neutral/Inclusive. Don't like it, go make Your own Forum......

Do you really have to be a boyscout about it?
 OneKewlDood
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:46:43 PM
I have a good repertoire of meals I can make; my chicken cutlets are to die for, I make the best pasta sauce you've ever had, and I have a secret recipe for hamburgers that'll knock your panties off. If I'm lucky. ;o)

I can also make a number of breakfast treats like omelets, french toast and poached eggs.

Guys who can't cook tend to get fat, because all they eat is fast food and frozen food. You need to learn to cook in order to survive. or get married as soon as you move out of your parents' house.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:53:41 PM
Now Kewl.... please stop teasing.
Where is my invitation to dinner.

Or breakfast!!! I adore poached eggs - but cannot cook them.

I will bring some Australian wine for dinner and champagne for brekkie.
 OneKewlDood
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:58:01 PM

Now Kewl.... please stop teasing.
Where is my invitation to dinner.

If you're EVER Stateside and in the New York area, let me know. Seriously. I'll cook for you anytime. ;o)
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/20/2015 3:08:00 PM

You're right: I over-functioned badly

And was that his fault, though? In doing so, was it more like "He would be such a better match, I would be having such a better time if he liked to cook in the kitchen every day with me on this visit or was halfway decent on it -- it just killed the vibe/mood" -- or more like "What a jerk! I asked him to help me out, and he said no way!"? :)

and didn't have appropriate boundaries with Jim. As an attorney, he was very persuasive. I learned from the experience.

I'm assuming that was the initial 3 days vs the 10-days-turned-to-5. I think if you meet someone LD, you very well may have built up enough that 3 days may be kinda short. 10 is too long for most people's situations, I would say. But unless one casually/lightly dates LD as if it's no-biggie, I would see 3 days as a bit short.

If you didn't want to do those things, why didn't you just say so and refrained from doing them, rather than putting up with it and then acting like a martyr?

Well, first, I think it was something she was putting upon Herself -- you can't blame the other person (by that alone, at all). I could see if it's one of those "Ugggh, this is not a good match," one may want to escape into the kitchen anyway -- and the angst about said guy only increases with thoughts of "Gee, he could make this trip a bit better if he could just help me out a bit here."
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 108
Posted: 1/20/2015 3:20:27 PM

Belle, you're making me hungry.

Some pasteles en hoja right now would be soooooooooo good, lol.

We do a thing we call Hallacas, which is a mix of indian (carib), African and Spanish. Usually only during the holidays. We flatten white corn turned yellow with Anato on a banana leave, then put giso, some capers, olives, garbanzo, a piece of red pepper. We fold it, boil it and usually make about 50 to 100 of them. It takes that assembly line to make it. Men and women and usually some Ponche Crema to drink. We eat them through the holidays and exchange them with friends, family, coworkers. It takes so much work that it usually involves the whole family. The usual place would be a matriarch's house as opposed to a male relative.

I know what they are, I used to make them with my first boyfriend who was Ecuadorian. His family used to do the Hallacas factory assembly which I participated in, and my family used to make the Pasteles en Hoja, which only my family participated in (so as to not leak the recipe, lol). The hallacas I had, were sweet.

We usually ate the Pasteles en Hoja with "coquito", a traditional Puerto Rican drink which is very creamy and sweet.

Growing up I saw our maids or my mom cook. I did not learn until I went to college and missed all that great food. I can taste something and immediately tell you exactly what is in there. The only thing I don't do is bake. To exacting. I cook by feel so everything is a pinch of this, a pinch of that, and I can't stand to follow a recipe, I have to give it my own touch.

My mom cooked 6 days a week, and we had to help by principle. Everything was done from scratch, my mom was not born in the U.S.A., so she did not understand short cuts or buying things already made, that was like blasphemy, lol. So there was a lot of prepping for the meals because everything had to be fresh. To this day, if my mom looked at a "hamburger helper", she would say "wtf is that?". I don't think I've ever had a poptart, a hot pocket, or anything like that, my mom wouldn't support such purchases, they were not considered real food.

Recipes= a suggestion, lol. I don't measure anything when I cook because I do it all by eye. For example, the way I would make rice, is by first rinsing the rice, put the rice in the pot, then pour water until you cover all of the rice and a dash above it, take the salt dispenser and shake it three times above the pot, then add one semi circle of olive oil (so it doesn't stick to the pot, and it has that glow that makes rice look beautiful). Take a table spoon and stir the mix, then stand the spoon in the middle of the pot. If the spoon stands after you let go of it, it has the right mix of everything and you leave it alone. If the spoon drops, you f*cked it up, lol.

You have it good man (not knowing how to bake). My mom is a professional Baker, so we also participated in that, greasing the molds, cutting baking sheets, learning how to work the "kitchen aid mixer", making frosting, making sugar flowers, decorating cakes, making styrofoam figures and spray painting them, etc. We made all kinds of stuff, carrot cake, tres leches cake, coffee cake, croquets, pastelitos, flan, bread pudding, mini pizzas, bunuelos, etc. My mom even had a business (store front) for a while, before she moved.

Gratitude was the law of the land in my household, everyone contribute in one way or another, because it was not fair for it all to fall on my mom.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/20/2015 3:45:12 PM

He was a police officer.
Your Dad was a Police officer ? hummmm

He had seen a few accidents over the years. People hit by cars while changing tires and cars falling on people if not improperly jacked up . He told me to put on the flashers and sit in the car with the seat belt on...if there was plenty of pullover space. If not, put the flashers on and get well way from the vehicle and well off the roadside. Better to wait a few hours than to be dead.

Well you were given excellent advice ! As I was a profession Union Teamster driver for 37 years., mostly local & some otr.....retired at 57.... with full pension.^^^^
As that was the same advice I told to my sons & my friends ,etc....if you have car troubles, etc... never just pull over but way over if your you have car troubles.4 ways etc... And if possible if you can make it to a off ramp the better if sleepy etc....

As a lot of drivers are day dreaming, half asleep etc...etc etc.. & think the shoulder is a 'live lane' too ....it is not !!!!.....and you here later in how someone was killed because of that helping another etc off the shoulder !

As for the LH,..... so I guess those men who can't cook,clean or cuddle.... & don't want to hike is a no no.....imo maybe keep looking..... or get a pet......jmo cheers
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2015 4:16:13 PM
One of the key things I'm getting from what everyone is collectively saying, is the importance of being aware of one's expectations, and the even greater importance of communicating them clearly.

Lots of stories of people coming to visit, and not pitching in enough.

Where I came into my majority, I was actually considered rude and odd because I wanted to pitch in and help with chores while I was a guest. The people around me expected guests to provide them with opportunities to show off skills of various kinds, and felt I was intruding on their private lives if I did any work. Weird.

One possibility with Literate's jerk-visitor, was that he thought he was flattering her by asking for advice all the time, especially on the hikes, and all the while she was getting more and more impatient with what she saw as neediness and childishness. A bit like the classic old date stories where young women pretend to be unable to cope with minor tasks, in order to give their date opportunities to be the "big strong hero." And all the while, the guy is thinking "Jeez! If I stay with this nitwit, I'll be stuck tending to BS crap all the time!"
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:25:25 PM
norweigianguy123: I don't know what "LD" means. I speak English, not Acronym. Please enlighten me.

Live and learn.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:51:53 PM
LD is Long Distance.

i would think that if you had invited someone to stay with you, you would have taken some time to know him beforehand. He obviously wasn't a match or you expected too much. Was he at least good in bed?
 CharminC
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:53:12 PM
Thank you, thank you IG and Belle!!!!
I now have new recipes added to my bookmark.
I love trying new ones and new flavors.
Discovered Papa Rellenos and chimichurri sauce last summer and they both have become favorites.

she did not understand short cuts or buying things already made, that was like blasphemy
^^^
I very much agree. The flavors are so different between store brought and from scratch.

I actually prefer to cook alone. My kitchen is my domain and I am the master. Anyone who comes is a guest, so I do not make them work in the kitchen, ever because it is my pleasure to cook for them and feed them.
But!!! .... at the same time I would rather they stay out my way lol.
I get to lap up all the gratitude as they stuff their faces during the meals. Greedy lil sucker I am for praise :P
Guest do insist on dishes and I am most humbly grateful. :)

See what a great thing it is to know how to cook!
All it takes is a cookbook or go on youtube. Easy peasy. One recipe at a time.
 ginghamgal
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:30:35 PM
It wouldn't bother me. As long as he was willing to do other household chores. Such as washing dishes.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:49:35 PM

Discovered Papa Rellenos and chimichurri sauce last summer and they both have become favorites.

What!!!!!!! You just discovered this fantastic combo? They are all my favorite, chimi on steak, yummmm. (Wait, I think you're vegetarian/vegan), ok....on tofu, lol

And papas rellanas? Oh my goodness, with some cheese inside, or ground beef, or chorizo.....yummmmm

Have you ever had yuca fries? The ones that grate the yuca then roll it lightly in flour, fry it crispy and accompany garlic mojo, to die for
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/21/2015 7:03:20 AM

I actually prefer to cook alone. My kitchen is my domain and I am the master. Anyone who comes is a guest, so I do not make them work in the kitchen, ever because it is my pleasure to cook for them and feed them.

Quite an interesting notion. I am currently remodeling a house with my gf and we had an argument about what we want in a kitchen. She, like you, prefers a closed kitchen so she can cook. I in the other hand, like to entertain. I wanted an open kitchen. Not so much to put people to work, but so they can see what I am doing and I can explain the process. Unless I am doing a paella, when I invite people, they arrive BEFORE I start cooking, not just to sit down and eat, but to be part of the process.

I love chimichurri. I do a South American marinate for skirt beef that is out of this world. I recently revived an old Spanish way to cook potatoes that is out of this world. We call it Tortured Potatoes. Ymmm. Sabrosas.
 basilisk123
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2015 7:12:21 AM
I love open kitchens! They are so cool! I make a decent quesodilla. Lol :P
 CharminC
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:18:51 AM
'What!!!!!!! You just discovered this fantastic combo? '

I know .. I know *hangs head*
Been on the internet for years and just now Im sampling other cuisines.
Trying to reach far beyond and into the nitty gritty than just the staple, American and Asian.. meat and potatoes and chow mein/pho. It's absolutely FASCINATING when you go into other countries then deeper into small cities and towns and sample their recipes and ingredients. Then try and incorporate into your own fare.
I LOVE chimichurri on eggs with a splash of hot sauce

btw... not vegan but not a potato chip and pop drinker either. :)

'Quite an interesting notion. I am currently remodeling a house with my gf and we had an argument about what we want in a kitchen. She, like you, prefers a closed kitchen so she can cook. I in the other hand, like to entertain. I wanted an open kitchen. Not so much to put people to work, but so they can see what I am doing and I can explain the process.'

If I were to design my own kitchen, it would be open (fully stocked baby!) with the stove on the island facing my company so I can watch, see, and interact as I cook. But! My formal dining area would be closed off with french doors and an opposite wall to wall windows looking out onto our BC forest.
*dreams*

'I love chimichurri. I do a South American marinate for skirt beef that is out of this world.'

Ahhh this is making me crave a wrap

'I recently revived an old Spanish way to cook potatoes that is out of this world. We call it Tortured Potatoes. Ymmm. Sabrosas.'

Gimme recipe! ...... please?

edit*
chimichurri is great on quesdillas! lol ;)
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:38:30 AM

If I were to design my own kitchen, it would be open (fully stocked baby!) with the stove on the island facing my company so I can watch, see, and interact as I cook. But! My formal dining area would be closed off with french doors and an opposite wall to wall windows looking out onto our BC forest.
*dreams*

That is awesome. We are placing the stove in an island. If money permits I want to get a Wolf stove with a cool looking hood.

Papas torturadas:

Get your regular baking potato. Cut in half the long way. Make incisions with a knife so it looks like a checker board. Do not cut all the way through. Get a cookie sheet with a lip (so nothing spills out). Place half on it and sprinkle with salt and fresh grounded pepper. Pour virgin Olive oil. Turn so the cut side faces down. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. Check, since each oven will be hotter than others. When they are crunchy, they are ready. Serve with sour cream and chopped parsley.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:46:16 AM
Great post!

Sadly ladies, my culinary deficiencies won't be revealed until after you've discovered my high thread count cal king and taste in scented candles.

I'm the worst bachelor. Very debaucherous and licentious fellow here. Bought all types of kitchen gadgets and they're all spotless. My stove is pristine. I did figure out how to clean my microwave though.

The bedroom and bathroom areas get a lot more attention then the kitchen.

The clerks at 7/11 gave me VIP status. I take out more trash then anybody else at my complex.

I do get amusing looks wheeling my big cart of groceries to the small trunk in my vette on the few occasions I'm proactive about shopping at the chain stores.

The few times a woman has cooked in my kitchen, she can't find sh!t and when she does, she's like WTF?! I bust out laughing every time I see them scrambling to find anything. The only time I stock up on food is the day they come over. One gal laughed when the ruse was obvious that all the food was bought that day. Lmao.

Most of the crap I have are impulse purchases bought at CVS while picking up razors, meds and other medicine cabinet and night stand essentials.

Come to speak of sh!t...I've got a bunch of vegetarian nonsense about to expire since my last attempt to go veggie impressing someone. $80 at Trader Joes buying tofu, carrot juice, soy cheese, meatless chicken and sod burgers.

Damn. Back to 7/11...

“show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually dirty kitchen, and 5 times out of 9 I'll show you an exceptional man."

"show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.”

- Charles Bukowski
 _shakti_
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:55:57 AM

Come to speak of sh!t...I've got a bunch of vegetarian nonsense about to expire since my last attempt to go veggie impressing someone. $80 at Trader Joes buying tofu, carrot juice, soy cheese, meatless chicken and sod burgers.
Aww adorable, lol.

The necessity of cooking sometimes irks me, even just for myself. Especially with shift work, working doubles, etc.. so I wouldn't mind going out to eat, or ordering in with someone. I afford myself that luxury quite frequently, interspersed with culinary creativity dependent on my mood and energy level.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/21/2015 9:22:38 AM

Get your regular baking potato. Cut in half the long way. Make incisions with a knife so it looks like a checker board. Do not cut all the way through. Get a cookie sheet with a lip (so nothing spills out). Place half on it and sprinkle with salt and fresh grounded pepper. Pour virgin Olive oil. Turn so the cut side faces down. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. Check, since each oven will be hotter than others. When they are crunchy, they are ready. Serve with sour cream and chopped parsley.

Sounds delicious and I'm gonna try it because it seems easy, almost like making kale chips.

Ever tried a potato cake? Here's how I do it: You peel and boil about half a sack of potatoes (unless you like the peel) with salt to taste. Mash the potatoes with some butter (not alot) and a little bit of milk is optional. Place aluminum wrap in a pot (where rice is usually made, or chicken stew would be made), coat the inside portion of the aluminum wrap with butter (to avoid sticking). Place half of the mashed potatoes in the pot with the aluminum, then pour your filling (I usually do cheese), then coat with other half of the mash potatoes, then even it out so it's flat. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30mins-1 hour, or until you notice browning on the top or sides. When you take it out, leave it alone to cool down (this is important). When it's nice and cool, turn it over onto a big plate and take the aluminum off the top. If you turn it over while it's hot, it will break apart.

Doing this cake allows you to have a side to your dishes for the week, because it preserves well and heats well, so it can travel too.

Goodness gracious, chimichurri marinated skirt steak..................I think I'm gonna go to one of my favorite Cuban restaurants soon, to get it with coconut rice and black beans. Or the horror! having to cook it myself, lol.

btw... not vegan but not a potato chip and pop drinker either. :)

Oh, I think I may have gotten you mixed up with Shakti :-), so I was careful not to include non-meat options, lol.

Marinating meat in chimichurri overnight is like perfection, so tasty, so flavourful.....yum. Chimi is good on anything, lol.

I prefer open kitchens because it allows air-flow, so the kitchen doesn't get extremely hot, not allowing certain foods to cool down a bit. It does mean that the smell of food travels to other rooms but whatever, nothing lingers forever.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/21/2015 9:22:53 AM
My husband is great at cooking - that is, if you consider someone a 'great' cook for heating up the leftovers I cooked for his dinner two nights before.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/21/2015 9:48:29 AM

We do a thing we call Hallacas, which is a mix of indian (carib), African and Spanish. Usually only during the holidays. We flatten white corn turned yellow with Anato on a banana leave, then put giso, some capers, olives, garbanzo, a piece of red pepper. We fold it, boil it and usually make about 50 to 100 of them. It takes that assembly line to make it.

Really interesting, I used to help my ex-wife to make nearly the same thing, but she called it nacatamales. I think the difference is she was from Central America while this is South America.

I don't know what GISO is?

But if you look up how they are both made, it's quite nearly the same. It is a long process to make them.

I really loved this for breakfast with a sunny side egg on top with jalapeno.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/21/2015 9:51:27 AM

I don't know what GISO is?

It means a stew of something, like cooking meat in sauce but the sauce is the result of the spices used with a little tomato sauce involved. It's like slow cooked meat.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook