Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Men Who Never Learned to CookPage 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
My wife and I used to watch Chopped together, so one day we decided to try it for ourselves. We would take turns buying each other four ingredients that they had to use in a dish. She bought me pork ribs, kumquats, bok choi, and a box of Kraft mac & cheese.

I'm proud to say I hit it out of the park, too. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 202
Men Who Never Learned to Cook
Posted: 1/23/2015 10:30:37 PM
ah, cooking in college. Walk four miles home down Spring Hill from UConn to the bungalow I had all alone, tune in FZR for afternoon jazz, mix the veggies with Italian dressing and use honey mustard or orange marmalade on the skinless boneless chicken, and study until ready to break for cooking. If ever a time its OK for shortcuts, it must be cooking in college--ya almost feel bad for dorm residents who had to make do with a hotplate :)

sometimes, it is fun to wander thru a grocery store, see ingredients you're in the mood for, and then think, "can I invent anything palatable with all this?" I'm not sure if it can really be labelled "cooking", seems more like "assembling over some form of heat." But, creativity is fun, esp. when everyone else in the store looks harried.

cooking for my elderly parents, when it was supposed to be healthy, no salt, they can't taste anything, can't eat anything spicy or zesty, and my mother's dementia means you have no idea what she'll turn her nose up at until the moment you put it in front of her? very not fun. then I was the harried one in the store.

still, there must be something said for going to restaurants...you may not find a future date when you're standing alone in your kitchen :)
 Dee4166
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2015 4:25:48 AM

cooking for my elderly parents, when it was supposed to be healthy, no salt, they can't taste anything, can't eat anything spicy or zesty, and my mother's dementia means you have no idea what she'll turn her nose up at until the moment you put it in front of her? very not fun. then I was the harried one in the store.

I can relate!!!
I work as a caregiver with an elderly couple, who are the fussiest eaters, literally, that I have EVER encountered....the one advantage of the dementia is that I can keep the menu VERY simple and serve the same favourites every week on a rotation and they think it's GREAT for the most part, unless it's a "no-pleasing" one or the other day...in which case I have my "secret back-ups" they BOTH like St.Hubert's chicken, (Qc.) and take-out it is!!!! lol

As for wandering through a grocery store...well, can't remember the last time that I enjoyed doing that...at this point, not being a big shopper to begin with, I am in and out, no perusing, wandering or otherwise enjoying the experience, just get in, get out and get back to work asap.

Nope, cooking is generally not my bag, but it IS a necessary evil and I learned how to do it when I was very young in order to survive on something more than KD and potato chips.....
I have been fortunate for the most part and tend to be attracted to men who DO like to cook....and aren't bitter, misogynistic, sexist fools who have some archaic notion of that being considered "wimmen's work"...thank YOU Gordon Ramsey!!!! LOL

And speaking of bitter, misogynistic, and sexist....yes demidar...I HAVE had counseling which is why I recognize a sick individual such as yourself when I encounter them....although I don't think anyone would need any extra help to see that as it fairly SCREAMS out from ANY of your posts...Have a nice day....
 bamagrl68
Msg: 204
Posted: 1/25/2015 4:18:47 PM
lagoodguy- LOVE what you had to say.
Cooking goes way back in our family and I also see it as an art form.
It's relaxing to me, if you are doing it right, it's hard to think about anything else.
Not to mention cooking together can create priceless memory's.
I remember watching my grandmother cook growing up, I swear the woman could make dirt taste good. She always made enough to feed a small army and there was always room at our table for one more.
There was NO question that I was going to learn, I could cook by the age of 10, simple things back then, but my grandmother passed her love of cooking on to me.
I did the same thing, all three of my children can cook, my oldest son is a chef, he talks all the time about me and my grandmother influencing his choice of profession. My daughter cooked dinner tonight and my youngest son is the desert expert.
It really warms my heart when all of us get the rare chance to cook together. It's like watching a symphony, we work around each other, but with each other and we all somehow know what the other one is doing and what to do next. Great times :)
 the_summerwind
Msg: 205
Posted: 1/26/2015 5:40:12 AM
pirate john@
so one day we decided to try it for ourselves. We would take turns buying each other four ingredients that they had to use in a dish.

Yes, to create a dish.... to start with little.....as many-times it will tell you what else would go good with it....& with a little "spice of life" can add in it's enjoyment....
 Onyxbutterflies90
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:53:14 AM

I'm sick of women that can't change the oil on their own car or change their own brakes and want me to do it for them. I'm done going out with women who can't service their own car, I'm not willing to be a garage slave.

If you're having to change the oil and brakes three times a day, then you're in need of a new car... We all realize cooking happens a lot more often than car repairs, right? Then again, I always go to a professional for such things. My boyfriend handles getting things from the top shelf. Yes, he's my top shelf slave. *lol*

I enjoy cooking, so I do all of the cooking. In return, my boyfriend cleans the bathroom weekly and does the dishes daily. Works for us.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/26/2015 8:48:51 AM

If you're having to change the oil and brakes three times a day, then you're in need of a new car... We all realize cooking happens a lot more often than car repairs, right? Then again, I always go to a professional for such things. My boyfriend handles getting things from the top shelf. Yes, he's my top shelf slave. *lol*

I am a guy. And I don't change my own oil. I take it to a place that disposes of the oil in a proper fashion, since pouring it down the drain is bad for the environment. I also don't work on my car, nor do repairs on appliances. I hire the right person, pay them and I am done.

I had a girlfriend once that wanted me to help her with a move. I rented a large truck for her, the she got all offended because I hired a couple of Mexican guys to do the heavy lifting. Yet she didn't aport a single penny to the whole thing.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 208
Posted: 1/26/2015 9:54:39 AM
bamagrl68, My mom always said if you cook then cook it cause you want to not cause you have to. Put some heart into it. Always cook it on low heat and take your time.
When I have company over and they keep walking into the kitchen mentioning that something smell so good they get drawn in and cant wait to try it. When you do put the food on the table and you see your friends keep smiling and enjoying the food. It does make you feel good. Cooking with someone who loves to cook is so much fun. Its most fun you can have outside of the bedroom.
One thing I could never do is bake. I'm working on that there is orange cake that mom makes that is my favorite. It would be my first attempt at baking.
My rule for cooking is that it has to have lots of color. My only fault is that I love food with a lot of flavor and I know that some people are not into it.
I showed my niece how to change engine and transmission oil. She been doing it ever since the car was new.
I helped her with the rear brakes and the 30,000 mile service on her car.
All her guy friends are very impressed as even the ones who talk about cars all the time never do the work them selves.
I showed her how much money she saved and also that this way she knows work is done to her level of satisfaction. She also learns she does not need to depend on anyone for anything, There is a lot to say for that.
Its not just that some men cant take care of themselves its also that many women cant do it as well.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 209
Posted: 1/26/2015 3:48:55 PM

I had a girlfriend once that wanted me to help her with a move. I rented a large truck for her, the she got all offended because I hired a couple of Mexican guys to do the heavy lifting. Yet she didn't aport a single penny to the whole thing.

^^^^ Not sure what was your point ? $$$$ hello..... Or guess she was not much in character, when getting things done or is something else that was missing in your explanation ?...,
Or if something else.... lesson learned.... move on..unless you ...never mind...lol

As I help my son to move 5 years ago, I drove the truck from here to there....like 800 miles....then He had already hired 2 college students[white... if I need to point that out] ,as also natural had his wife & his mother in law came to pick in too,....as to help unload the truck to the 3rd floor apt.....as my Son took the hardest spot in the move, at the 3rd level & in their apartment... he's like the old man I guess ..lol

As the hired help were payed $25.oo dollars a hour.... & afterwards when done .... my son & his wife treated us to pizza & beer.....as in family, is like your best friend.... is always first ......cheers
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/26/2015 5:41:17 PM

^^^^ Not sure what was your point ? $$$$ hello..... Or guess she was not much in character, when getting things done or is something else that was missing in your explanation ?

I think his point can be found in "I am a guy," to kick it off... meaning it doesn't make him less of a man to not self-repair his own car or get some cheap labor to help move... and I'm assuming, it alludes to the fact that it doesn't make a woman any less of a woman if she doesn't have warm-fuzzies about cooking in the kitchen.

I myself roll my eyes when particular gals get spirit-fingers, and get giddy about throwing out terms like "eclectic" about foodie-stuff and/or spending hours cooking, while being Disappointed when a guy isn't ga-ga about it. I can understand not having an affinity for a guy who, in contrast, Refuses to help in the kitchen... or hems & haws about it, etc. But some people, men & women, aren't going to be so about it, as they don't have the time or the taste for that in and of itself. They can understand why someone would be into it -- no doubt. But not everyone's a foodie, nor feel compelled to become an honorary one.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 211
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:49:48 PM
I would be totally happy if he could use the grill/ bbq. I can do the rest. So to me, not important.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 212
Posted: 1/26/2015 7:03:37 PM
If he was a wonderful man in all other respects?

Then he is a wonderful man.
I will gladly do the cooking.
 blueguy99881
Msg: 213
Posted: 1/26/2015 7:17:30 PM
Oz stop Bashing women.
 Maleman999
Msg: 214
Posted: 1/27/2015 7:31:44 AM
Part of the reason for men not cooking as much as women is the media perpetuating the image of the traditional role of women, which hasn't changed much from the 1950's. Daytime television during the week is still geared to women-for the stay-at-home wife and mother-with soaps, game shows, and talk/gossip shows hosted by women dominating the air waves. What topics do the female hosted talk shows discuss on a regular basis? It's usually fashion, home decorating and cooking-topics that are suppose to be geared to women. During the fashion segments, how often do they show the latest in fashion ware for female construction workers, plumbers, or garbage "persons"?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 215
Posted: 1/27/2015 4:10:41 PM
PirateJohn09- I LOVE the show, it's my favorite cooking show.
The viewers choice episodes are brutal and funny :D
Your wife gave you good ingredients-What did you make?(Did you stay true to the show and use a timer?)
Here's four, tell me what you would make with them........
(it's the desert round)
pancake mix
Gummy bears
Crackling
Canned fruit
 tennistown
Msg: 216
Posted: 1/28/2015 3:02:13 PM

There I was...
An older teen.
I wandered the supermarket
incredulously looking bewildered
at all that was there. Shelves o plenty!
And none of it, I knew how to cook.

Then I found the cans of Pork and Beans!
And the chili too! Eventually the
TV dinners in the frozen section
most had some "good for you" vegetables inside the foil.
Right next to the ice cream.

I would be alright.

Nobody's an expert cook on day one.
Still most everybody knows how to cook.
Those that don't are dumb.
Dumb as a fox.

It's not like men are going to starve.
Like a kitten that runs up a tall tree.
And meows that it can't get down!

If that was true,
I wonder why
we don't see cat skeletons
hanging up there
in all those trees.
 Dee4166
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2015 4:36:30 PM

It's not like men are going to starve.
Like a kitten that runs up a tall tree.
And meows that it can't get down!

If that was true,
I wonder why
we don't see cat skeletons
hanging up there
in all those trees.

Yup...EXACTLY!!!!! lmao A LOT of guys that I've met who "can't cook" who are also overweight....

Things that make you go hmmmmm......
 deetristate
Msg: 218
Posted: 1/28/2015 7:48:05 PM
Does he mow the lawn, do the grocery shopping, make sure my car is serviced and the tank filled, fix things around the house, move furniture when I need it moved, deal with the repairman, etc etc? Then I don't care.
 Optimisque
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2015 12:12:39 AM
This post is billboarding is it not???
 deetristate
Msg: 220
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:52:26 AM
What is "billboarding?"
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 221
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:47:05 AM
^^^
Dee....
You get that treatment after you nurture us a bit. Lmao
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 222
Posted: 1/29/2015 8:12:23 PM

This post is billboarding is it not???

ding ding ding right answer.

That's what happens when there are no mods.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 223
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:01:28 PM
I think the mods would not have nuked this thread as billboarding, the forum posters let it through. But it would get boring if she posted about every guy she dumped for whatever reason...like lack of cooking skills. Gawd knows what Bob, Tom, George, Harry, Tim, John, Ben and on and on did. Not like we all haven't had a bad date or two.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 224
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:14:50 PM
I can fake it enough for a week :)
 toxictears1979
Msg: 225
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:25:41 PM
Lol I'm trying to teach my man to cooke he's doing good he dose Sunday steak night and I have to say it's better then mine lol
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook