Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 the_summerwind
Msg: 26
American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

If it's really obvious that its propaganda, they may start looking for alternative sources that tell the truth.
The film maker won't be getting my dollars to support their propaganda blockbusters.

^^^^

As in this Movie.... The moviemaker did NOT say, direct or expose that.... that War is good, fair, right , glorified, entertainment, or only propaganda ,,,
,but in what War is... & in what is is & to the Combat man & women who serve for their country & deal with then..... & now....as we who served get it from both sides.....
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 27
American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?
Posted: 1/29/2015 6:07:59 AM

in what is is & to the Combat man & women who serve for their country & deal with then..... & now....as we who served get it from both sides.....

Actually if you want to see both sides, maybe some context is in order:

http://i.imgur.com/eB9SSoq.jpg
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:14:46 AM
Sometimes I just have to wonder about you.

Actually if you want to see both sides, maybe some context is in order:

505 confirmed kills- true
His enemy wore uniforms and were encamped in the countryside in the snow. 40 some confirmed kills in one day. Almost like shooting fish in a barrel?

160 confirmed kills-true
His enemy seldom if ever wore a "uniform" and were predominately located in urban settings. Selective targeting?

Then:
His weapon was chosen because it fit his small frame. He could of had any "cutting" edge technology if his era.

Now:
His weapon was one best suited for the job even though it's considered "cutting" edge.

Then:
He wrote a book about his "sniper" carrer. I would have to presume he would have talked about his "kills" since that was the basis for the book.

They named a military rifle in his honor.

He was invited to military ceremonies
by his goverment after his career because of his "celebrity" status?

This song in his memory is not a national anthem, it's a song produced two years ago by a Swedish Power Metal band.

He was featured in a HBO special, but was edited out as it made the run time
excessive.

He was a soldier for his country and did as he was ordered.

Now:

Wrote a book

Edited by? People who sensationalize to make money?

Movie ? Yep....haven't seen a studio yet that scales back box office draw.
oth of these men fought for their country, regardless of what the circumstances were or are, they followed orders from their superiors who in turn are controlled by the politicians we elect.

I think it's a pretty cheap shot to try and compare "soldiers" from different era's and wars in an effort to show what? That in your opinion one was more honorable than the other?

Once again the cut and paste brigade charges on.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:23:58 AM
USAAF Brig. Gen. Paul Warfield Tibbets, Jr. dropped an atomic weapon on Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945

60,000 people died instantly. many thousands more died later from radiation poisoning, etc.

USAAF Major General Charles W. Sweeney dropped an atomic weapon on Nagasaki, Japan on August 9, 1945

60 percent of Nagasaki was destroyed

or more accurately, each was the pilot of the plane that dropped these bombs

each was able to take out many thousands of human lives so perhaps they deserve even more accolades?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2015 10:27:47 AM
I don't think the movie is outward propaganda to any one cause. But most media has hidden propaganda /marketing.

For example, some Navy 'cook' might see it and say 'gee cool job I want it' but others might say 'NO WAY'. How viewers react will be subjective!

My understanding is he capitalized on his experiences because he heard others were doing the same. You want propaganda see "Green Berets" with John Wayne. One would think it was written by the US military.

each was able to take out many thousands of human lives so perhaps they deserve even more accolades?

I wouldn't be shocked if there is a written record someplace but lets be honest, the audience wants something a little more dramatic on screen.

Apparently Drone operators are suppose to get a raise( combat pay) because of their stress.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2015 11:40:09 AM

Apparently Drone operators are suppose to get a raise( combat pay) because of their stress.

Don't underestimate the amount of stress some non-combat jobs are subjected to.

Example - my old trade was an intelligence trade during the cold war (mid-1970s to mid 1980s). I sat inside a nice, comfortable, air-conditioned building. My biggest fear of physical injury was a paper cut. But my trade also happened to have the nighest incidence of alcoholism, drug abuse, suicide and divorce of ANY TRADE IN THE CDN MILITARY.

Most of our postings were in the far north. Anybody here ever been to beautiful downtown Alert, Churchill, Tuktoyuktuk, or Innuvik? Isolation was a significant concern.

There was also the little detail that if we fvcked up what we were doing, we might miss any warning signs of an impending WW III - or conversely, START one if we misinterpreted something. And at all times, because of what we were doing, we were very, VERY well aware of just how close we were to the brink sometimes because of events that we saw - the vast majority of which are still unreported or unknown outside of our own circles.

Bottom line - not being shot at doesn't mean stress-free.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/29/2015 11:54:49 AM

I think it's a pretty cheap shot to try and compare "soldiers" from different era's and wars in an effort to show what? That in your opinion one was more honorable than the other?

Once again the cut and paste brigade charges on.

^^^^ @crookcatcher

As you see that HFX RGB Frank, as I like to call him does some wonders here & after awhile you'll just have to get use to his tirades etc....

I did not know they were still accolades for these Military men ? As most returning men & women returning from WW11 back to the civilian lives or made careers in the Military.
There is no good War. Most who served will tell you that.
As when Truman ask the Military if we invaded Japan what would be our losses, 500,000 soldiers was our estimates, to drop the bomb, Japanese their loss's would be 110,00 -210,000. And if the US continued with the Starvation Blockade & Firebombing missions, the Japanese losses would have been 10 million people.....
So, dropping the 2 bombs for a Unconditional Surrender, ended the War & saved lives on both sides...
 gtomustang
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/29/2015 12:14:12 PM
Perhaps the world war of the 1940's (since, historically speaking, world wars existed before America was a country, so can we really start counting from the time America finally joined in as more than just a colony?) was the only "good" war, in that the Nazis were a parasitic (they existed by stealing from the conquored), idealistic (as much as nationalistic) enemy that took over more of the world than ISIS even wet-dreams about. They made a bureaucracy out of genocide, they searched the occult for weaponry.

I'm reading the book right now, and yes, he does see it thru the eye of a soldier--that things are simple. The enemy is only one kind of an enemy. Black and white. It keeps one from going crazy in combat, because to ask, "If someone invaded my country and disbanded my army for following orders and hunted us, would we fight back? If the invader chose to support one group of Americans against all others and establish that one group in charge, would the rest of us fight back? If all we knew about the invader was what our own government had told us and what we saw in movies, would we fight back or lay down our arms?" is a great way to start associating with the enemy, "Dances with Wolves" style. Chris Kyle compares the SEAL way of fighting to the Army's Green Berets as the former beats the enemy into submission, the latter wins hearts and minds...and there is a history of GB's finding common ground with the indigents as a result.

The book talks about winning war, and losing at marriage. He puts country after God but before family, while his wife puts family before country. Who is right? The reader is left to decide. Kyle doesn't portray himself as the best, just the guy who got offered the most targets and had no problem taking the opportunities offered by war. There might be a question to ask, "what happens when you dehumanize your enemy into a label--a skinny, a haj, a muj"? Or what happens when going from war to home takes a few hours on a plane rather than days on a ship like in the old wars--is there enough time to decompress?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2015 12:55:08 PM

Perhaps the world war of the 1940's (since, historically speaking, world wars existed before America was a country, so can we really start counting from the time America finally joined in as more than just a colony?) was the only "good" war,

There is NO good war, not for the average guy anyway( although if defending ones home you have to feel good about it). The powers just make rhetoric for the mass population to 'FEEL GOOD. Most wars are about money (economics at its core) regardless of the desires of the leader at that time. US entered WW2 because of what would have happened when we lost our trade partners(we also learned wars will get the economy moving). Japanese decided that attacking Pearl Harbor would humble us to stop sanctions( present situation with RU perhaps?) . We all know what the Germans needed!

The elites share in war profiteering regardless!

Good book that breaks down everything to barrels of oil!

"Blood, Tears and Folly: An Objective Look at World War II" by Len Deighton
 gtomustang
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:13:06 PM
I figure the term "good war" is relative, in that its any war where you feel like you aren't a pawn for the rich who of course find a way not to go. Even the American Civil War was about making money off cotton, rather than slavery (side note, its when we first decided that Egyptian cotton was such a great thing, so that the northern factories could keep producing something seen as quality) and the wealthy could pay someone to go in their steed. Certainly, corporations and bankers made money off selling supplies before we entered, during, and after.

Today's DemocracyNow was stating the increased odds any country had for intervention during a civil war....if it had oil. After the Spanish War, there was a general who wrote a book, "War is a Racket". Can't remember his name off the top of my head, but many of the 1% of 1938 (or 36?) wanted to use him as president for a coup, and he ratted 'em out. Took a bit of back room deals for them to get out of getting arrested for treason.

another good book I always recommend, Greg Palast's "Armed Madhouse". Starts at Osama bin Ladin and goes thru the invasion of Iraq and ends with American election scandals. Puts a hole in the theory, "War is diplomacy by other means", shows documents and has interviews that reveals war may be the plan put int0 place separate of diplomacy.

sad to say, if you see war in that way...you reconsider going to war. its no longer simple black and white, once you swallow the red pill.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:42:54 PM

Sometimes I just have to wonder about you.

&

As you see that HFX RGB Frank, as I like to call him does some wonders here & after awhile you'll just have to get use to his tirades etc....

If you hear a whooshing sound, it was the point flying right over your heads.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way, please keep missing the point that the movie glorifies war and does nothing to explain the other side of the story, because as a previous poster pointed out, if an army invaded your country and started killing your friends and family I am pretty sure you would be tossing grenades as well.

So if this was really a true war story it would show both sides and not just one.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/29/2015 2:54:30 PM
Duplicate post.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:02:24 PM
Damn your the one that referenced the comparison. That doesn't pan out the way you had hoped, so now we have to guess what you really meant even though your reference did'nt show both sides of anything. Your a piece of work Frank.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:33:54 PM

So if this was really a true war story it would show both sides and not just one.

Frank....what did I tell you.... War is Hell... As I did not go to Canada to avoid being drafted...& I don't regret those who did...see I can be nice & understanding too...the fears of War & dying, staying in College smoking dope.. screwing groupies..cool....

And Clint Eastwood, who Directed & produced, "Letters From Iwo Jima " had 4 Oscars Nominations....
Best Picture, Best Director...And.......... as most Japanese did not know anything from WW11 till now. Americans can tell the story from both sides .....

So maybe we can ship you & "done rite" off to the Middle East and get that record straight there to why....

Bye Frank

PS I did like Sgt. Yukon...... of the" Canadian Mounted Police.... "or was he a knucklehead too ?

Carry on Lad......
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:53:18 AM
Iraqi vet interviews people coming out of American Sniper movie
Howard Kim

Published on Feb 11, 2015

Adam Kokesh, ex-marine, veteran of the war in Iraq, interviews random people in the street who just sat through American Sniper in the theater. He asks the hard questions and gets people thinking for a minute. It's an eye opening video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDUPQuv6VFE#t=1004
 vlad dracul
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 12:48:15 PM
Wow frank youve had a busy day googling and kleenexing eh? Oops silly me your a rich white boy. You go online all day every day. See if there is a terrorist atrocity carried out against the west or our folk ask frank to condemn the attack.
It cannot bring itself to do that. I imagine frank watched the film unbroken and cried. Because the japanese lost. Bet youd love to have been a japanese prison guard frank eh?

Wasnt just soldiers eh frank? Lots of 'pretty young white girls' as well eh? The amount of chicken choking you do you must be turning japanese quite a bit. Nonce.

Frank can afford to be forum 'gangsta' though. Pretending he lives in south central in the ghetto. Typical rich white boy. How many valentines did you send yourself frank?
Wished id bought shares in kleenex long ago.

As for american sniper? Good on the geezer for protecting his mates. We shouldnt as nations be anywhere near the middle east but as long as our corrupt politicians put our service folk into wars then the more enemies they kill the better.

Bet hiroshima and nagasaki broke your heart frank eh? Beastly yanks killing your heroes. Nonce.
 momsaysirock
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/14/2015 1:22:05 PM
there is an awesome British sniper as well, of course Hollywood would never celebrate a non-US person. they even changed history in U- 571 to say that the US Navy captured the German Ènigma`code machine which was in fact captured by the British Royal Navy in May, 1941 before the USA had even entered WW II as a combatant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1270414/British-sniper-sets-new-sharpshooting-record-1-54-mile-double-Taliban-kill.html

killed at 2800 meters, more than 1.5 miles

(previous distance record held by Cdn. sniper Rob Furlong)

or:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/10735666/British-sniper-in-Afghanistan-kills-six-Taliban-with-one-bullet.html

killed 6 with one bullet.

¸**that ol HFX is one huge wanker, eh wot..**
 vlad dracul
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 1:33:53 PM
Oh now mom. You do know frank will be most upset by our posts? He will be be putting on his bandana and have his undercrackers showing as the arse on his fubu jeans
are at his knees.
He is going to go gangsta on us. (After a bit chicken choking about some 'pretty young white girls' first).

Aye the uk gadgie is rather good at his job as well. Bet frank hates him as well. Has frank condemned islamic state anywhere on any thread yet? Or does he do what he always does and google something about christians?

I mind when he was caught out regularly posting pretending to use his own words and another poster showed who really used the words.

Frank did not like that.

I wonder if the makers of american sniper would ever make a film called halifax tosser? Could be a hit. Frank could play the main role. After all it would be a film about him and his kleenex.

Wheres your photoshop photies frank? Scared to show your fake self? C'mon show us your kleenex collection rich boy.

Wow just noticed about the murder and attempted slaughter in copenhagen. No wonder hes not replied. The kleenex kid will be googling something about christians and going through a box of kleenex.

Na they are equals. Tosser is more a uk used version of a franker methinks.
 momsaysirock
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/14/2015 1:38:33 PM
is a tosser lower on the scale than a wanker..never was sure,,

perhaps, vlad we should be more understanding of the poor misunderstood lad`s upbringing.must have been very traumatic in order to cause him as an àdult`to post endlessly on obscure internet forums, flailing about attempting to insult everyone as the only method of validation available to him, I diagnose possible PTSD and fractured ego. my mom did not work for $20 tips-15 mins. so it is not possible for me to understand that level of trauma
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 1:45:28 PM

If you want to see both sides, maybe some context is in order

If you want to see reality enlist... there's some context for you. :/
Stop crying and start acting on something, if you feel so strongly pick a side and actually do something.
I served as an 11B infantryman sniper for a little over six years, served in two combat theaters, and have seen my share of both sides and then some. Movies, books, reports, stats, etc. do nothing to describe what is actually going on, war and those caught up in it are so multifaceted you couldn't even begin to understand. If this is a subject you would like to banter around with me about you'll have to put in some ground work or be properly dismissed to crawl back onto the porch with the other pups. :/
Freedom was won on the backs and blood of men far better than yourself, men better than myself. Men with ideals, morals, beliefs felt strongly enough to act upon.
You have absolutely no clue what real commitment is. Have you ever in your life placed something above yourself?
I truely feel apathy for you.
 cotter
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 3:02:14 PM
Message 1 ...
What does the movie American Sniper reveal about this country?
I really can't say except to say that it's not a movie that I ever expect to see and if it happens it will be because someone is physically forcing me to watch it.

I don't know where they got the information for this movie but it is my opinion that getting anything first hand from fellow snipers (for example) or from their CO or anyone military is subjective and we all know those people are all programmed to be pro-war if not actually war mongers ... it's how they earn their money, it's how they support their families, it's what gives their lives meaning.

There are a lot of us in the US who don't thrive on their war lust ... their weapon lust ... their bloodthirsty lust.

I know my daughter too is thoroughly disgusted with the war mongers and war lust popping up everywhere and I am positive she will never approve of anyone who would try to take my grandson to watch something like that either. If we find out someone is trying to take him, they will first have to get past both of us ... not an easy thing to do.

Message 16 ...
A man with mental issues killed him.
As long as nobody is ordered to shoot civilians....its war.
So what is it when the military is ordered to shoot civilians?

Message 36 ...
... if an army invaded your country and started killing your friends and family I am pretty sure you would be tossing grenades as well.

Message 39 ...
As I did not go to Canada to avoid being drafted...& I don't regret those who did...
Well that's nice of you.

... see I can be nice & understanding too...
Maybe ... and maybe not.

... the fears of War & dying, staying in College smoking dope.. screwing groupies..cool....
From what you wrote, it appears you are the opinion that those who avoided going to Vietnam by defecting to wherever they went, did so because they were cowards or "shaking in their boots" at the thought of having to go to a war zone.

Of course you did write that some just wanted to continue their education (which I think is always a good idea) ... or did you mean the only reason they wanted to stay in college was so they could hang out and smoke dope and screw around (not sure what is meant by "screwing groupies ..cool")

I knew guys who went to Canada but it wasn't because they "were afraid of war & dying" ... also not because they were "dope smoking college students" either ... and I can't say anything about the "screwing groupies..cool" because I truly have no idea what that is. Maybe you could eventually explain that one to us.

They were honestly and truly against the war as many of us were ... and still are. They didn't fall for the "Be a patriot and go to war" propaganda ... and did not believe that not going to war and getting showered with agent orange and being target practice for the Viet Cong was really productive.

I'll never forget something my mother said once (she was anti-war as well) ... "We send all the healthy and able-bodied men off to war to be maimed and mutilated and keep all the less than fit at home to reproduce." I always felt she was over-stating things, but more and more of my girlfriends were beginning to find that there was something indeed to what my mother said.

We send them off to places to experience things that put such demons in their minds that only drugs and alcohol can (not always) calm. Not only do the demons lurk in their minds, but they also have to deal with all the maiming and mutilating of their bodies. This time ... because some ignoramus wanted to be a "war president".

Message 45 ...
Freedom was won on the backs and blood of men far better than yourself, men better than myself. Men with ideals, morals, beliefs felt strongly enough to act upon.
When did they start the propaganda on you? How old were you when they gave you your first gun to play with?

Oh yeah ... buying POW's from waring tribes in Pakistan and sending them to be tortured and then eternally imprisoned until they finally decide they did nothing ... that just wreaks of morality ... eh? The folks that did that had a lot of "ideals and morals" ... right?

The people who create these wars sit comfortably back in their cozy chairs in congress and send our families off to get maimed and mutilated and killed and captured. The first rule of voting for war should be that the person has to also put on a uniform and go ... as well as send their own family first ... before they ask us to do the same!

There should have to be a vote ... nationwide. I do not trust my elected officials to make that kind of decision for me. Not with the way lobbyists are filling their pockets.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/14/2015 3:05:06 PM

You have absolutely no clue what real commitment is.

This is based on what information?
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 4:13:20 PM

When did they start the propaganda on you?

Never. I do my own thinking and do not buy everything I'm told. I'm not even much of a supporter of our government, that's a bit of a "propaganda" fail isn't it lol.

Warmongers, war lust, blood lust... Wth planet are you living on? Every soldier I know, including myself, is against war. The key difference is we know that sometimes in life we have to do what we don't want to do... people give little choice in these matters. You yourself would not be where you are right now today without war. The alternative is what? Let somebody do as they please? I'm not cut from that cloth and I will stand for those that won't or can't for themselves... no matter who or where.

Do you honestly believe that I enjoyed doing what I did? Propaganda? Do you really think men on the lines, in the middle of the shit storm, can be told (and believe) that something else is going on and not what they're experiencing? You'll be hard pressed to find a soldier who fully supports our government, we answer to a higher calling that you will never understand. Thankfully, you don't have to because of men like these... "You" were placed above them.

How old were you when they gave you your first gun?

Seven, a single shot bolt action .22 caliber rifle... Which I still have. The number pleasant meals and memories that rifle provided are countless. Twelve, on my birthday, when I was given a semi auto 12 gauge shotgun and a .30-06 boly action rifle... Still have both of those as well.

As far as shooting, I've been shooting firearms since before I can even remember. Dad took me along to all the local shoots. I can remember sitting in his lap while he held the shotgun and I aimed and fired. I have nothing but the utmost respect for firearms, have been properly trained, and know how to handle them. They are not the reason for my enlistment, firearms and my ideals are two completely different and seperate things.

What is this information based on?

You lol. Every single post I have ever read. Not one single positive thing. Every post is an argument no matter the subject or the side.
Inferiority complex comes to mind. Get kicked around in RL and take it out online or what? It's like having a discussion with a pimply teen (I wonder?), we're all wrong and you are always right. Wish I had all the answers to life. Lmfao.
However, you do bring a small amount of entertainment for me when I peruse the forums. ;)
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/14/2015 4:22:45 PM

You lol. Every single post I have ever read. Not one single positive thing. Every post is an argument no matter the subject or the side.

Which is like saying that every road sucks because every road you have driven on sucks.

Total leap of faith lacking in reasoning and rational thinking.

Inferiority complex comes to mind. Get kicked around in RL and take it out online or what? It's like having a discussion with a pimply teen (I wonder?), we're all wrong and you are always right. Wish I had all the answers to life. Lmfao.

What does ad hominem attacks say about a person?

For me, it says that they lack the ability to have rational discussion, so when faced with facts and logic they resort to personal attacks.

So please feel free to refute anything I say or stick with the personal attacks.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/14/2015 4:29:26 PM

Wow frank youve had a busy day googling and kleenexing eh?

Hey Frank, Bubba here .....a fun fact .... do you know that John Wayne was booed off stage when he was doing the USO Show’s in the Pacific Theater..cuz for the Marines there..... thought his movies were BS & did not show the real deal about what war is....enjoy that fun fact...
PS I did like watching Sgt. Preston of the Yukon as a youngster tho...was that make believe like the Lone Ranger too ??

I'll never forget something my mother said once (she was anti-war as well) ... "We send all the healthy and able-bodied men off to war to be maimed and mutilated and keep all the less than fit at home to reproduce." I always felt she was over-stating things, but more and more of my girlfriends were beginning to find that there was something indeed to what my mother said.

Like I said before war is hell....but most came home fine nonetheless to lead a productive life etc. So if your think most ex military is not your cup of tea, unfit...so be it....

Like I said before to those who never experience it... No war is a good war...& only those who live & die....or stayed
away from it.... as I was like Hawk Eye Pierce in M*A*S*H took care like my self, in those in ‘’harms way’’
carry on
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?