Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 the_summerwind
Msg: 50
American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Wow frank youve had a busy day googling and kleenexing eh?

Hey Frank, Bubba here .....a fun fact .... do you know that John Wayne was booed off stage when he was doing the USO Show’s in the Pacific Theater..cuz for the Marines there..... thought his movies were BS & did not show the real deal about what war is....enjoy that fun fact...
PS I did like watching Sgt. Preston of the Yukon as a youngster tho...was that make believe like the Lone Ranger too ??

I'll never forget something my mother said once (she was anti-war as well) ... "We send all the healthy and able-bodied men off to war to be maimed and mutilated and keep all the less than fit at home to reproduce." I always felt she was over-stating things, but more and more of my girlfriends were beginning to find that there was something indeed to what my mother said.

Like I said before war is hell....but most came home fine nonetheless to lead a productive life etc. So if your think most ex military is not your cup of tea, unfit...so be it....

Like I said before to those who never experience it... No war is a good war...& only those who live & die....or stayed
away from it.... as I was like Hawk Eye Pierce in M*A*S*H took care like my self, in those in ‘’harms way’’
carry on
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 51
view profile
History
American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?
Posted: 2/14/2015 4:31:02 PM
^^^^

Now there's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever saw it lol.
Every one of your posts is an attack..

Oh, I forgot... everybody is wrong, only you have it right. :p
Please, never leave the forums. Your too amusing. :D
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 52
Posted: 2/14/2015 4:54:09 PM

Now there's the pot calling the kettle black if I ever saw it lol.
Every one of your posts is an attack.

If that is the case I am sure you could quickly post one and back up what you claim.

I await proof of your claim, or another personal insult, what ever floats your boat.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:09:05 PM
^^^^

Repost what you already have posted? Why? The history is there for anyone to look at anytime they want.

Personal attacks? Please, did I offend?

Like I said, you amuse me and your forums behaviorism has lost you the privilege of any reasonably intelligent conversation.
The same plays out time and time again in every thread your in. Somebody posts, you Google and reply... which continues untill the other party tires of the game and you get your feel good last word in.

So, here's your big opertunity now. :p
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:30:25 PM

Repost what you already have posted? Why? The history is there for anyone to look at anytime they want.

Yes, please post any comment that you have taken as an attack and I will be happy to defend myself. Other wise you are making unfounded claims.

Personal attacks? Please, did I offend?

I could care less some some stranger on the internet says about me, as it says more about you, than me.

As you can not show one occasion where I have personall attacked anyone, and all you are doing is showing your bias for the ones like yourself that do.

Like I said, you amuse me and your forums behaviorism has lost you the privilege of any reasonably intelligent conversation.

More fallacies, nice work.0

The same plays out time and time again in every thread your in. Somebody posts, you Google and reply... which continues untill the other party tires of the game and you get your feel good last word in.

This is another attempt for you to run and hide when asked for proof. Not surprize, as it is typical, come in for the insults but back nothing up.
 cotter
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 5:57:23 PM
Message 48 ...
You yourself would not be where you are right now today without war.
Oh yeah ... the Vietnam War sure insured my place in society today ... I'll keep that in mind. For that matter, no Middle East war we started ever insured my place in society today either. So which war are we talking about?

Maybe you mean ... "Hey nurse! You wouldn't have anyone to take care of if we stopped fvcking up in war. If we stopped getting our people maimed and mutilated you wouldn't have anyone to take care of." Is that what you're talking about? Or maybe you mean that if we hadn't fvcked up so badly in Vietnam, I wouldn't have been taking care of so many Vietnamese people as I have. (They're actually lovely people, but I'm betting they wish we hadn't made them so sick.)

Pretty soon we'll be dealing with all the Iraqis we maimed and mutilated ... poisoned and deformed. It does keep our medical folks busy ... eh? I guess that's one thing you could say about war.

The alternative is what? Let somebody do as they please?
What has our interference in Southeast Asia brought us? For that matter, what has our interference in the Middle East brought us?

Every single post I have ever read. Not one single positive thing.
Is that directed at me?

Message 50 ...
So if your think most ex military is not your cup of tea, unfit...so be it....
Is that what you got from my post? If so, it doesn't appear you were paying attention.

I believe I wrote ...:
... more and more of my girlfriends were beginning to find that there was something indeed to what my mother said.
Where did you get the idea that felt ex-military was unfit? I was a member of the USO for several years ... even won a talent contest and was scheduled to go to Vietnam to entertain the troops. What part of that insinuates that I might be somehow "anti-military men"?

I'm wondering why you avoided answering my questions ...
... it appears you are the opinion that those who avoided going to Vietnam by defecting to wherever they went, did so because they were cowards or "shaking in their boots" at the thought of having to go to a war zone.

Of course you did write that some just wanted to continue their education (which I think is always a good idea) ... or did you mean the only reason they wanted to stay in college was so they could hang out and smoke dope and screw around (not sure what is meant by "screwing groupies ..cool")

I knew guys who went to Canada but it wasn't because they "were afraid of war & dying" ... also not because they were "dope smoking college students" either ... and I can't say anything about the "screwing groupies..cool" because I truly have no idea what that is. Maybe you could eventually explain that one to us.
So what's it going to be? Are you going to tell us exactly what you meant?
 flyguy51
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/15/2015 4:10:07 PM

What does the movie American Sniper reveal about this country?

That is a very loaded question-- in large part because it is a vague one IMO. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Um... it reveals that America makes really good movies?
That Americans like war movies?
That American troops, when tasked with going to war, do so with great dedication and ability?

What does any movie say about America? What does any war movie say about America?

"American Sniper" doesn't reveal anything new to me, really. Perhaps I have seen more war movies than the average viewer. As far as war movies that I find "revelatory" (teaching me something or making me feel something profound and new), there are many, but "American Sniper" isn't really one of them.

One thing that the hype over "American Sniper" has taught me is that the biggest critics of the movie have not even bothered watching it. Also, I find many of the critics rather hypocritical. Nobody was making a stink over "The Hurt Locker" in its neutral portrayal of our occupation of Iraq. Michael Moore didn't boldly comment about his distaste for snipers when they were saving Captain Phillips' precious behind from Somali pirates, did he?

I think that many are merely holding a grudge against Eastwood because of his debate with an empty chair at the RNC.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/7/2015 5:34:04 AM
When a chapain gets let go for not buying into the blood lust, you know there is some seriours blood lust -

Christian chaplain fired for preaching compassion and love over violence of American Sniper
Zaid Jilani, AlterNet
07 Mar 2015 at 02:31 ET

Beckum’s sermon that day was about America’s addiction to violence, citing the film “American Sniper” as a symptom of that, and how this was problematic for Christianity, a religion founded on the ideals of nonviolence. Here’s an excerpt:

...As you know two movies came out recently. Selma, the story of one of the 20th century most influential Christian leaders, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., who led a non-violent movement that changed the course of American History forever. And American Sniper, the story of the most deadly Navy SEAL sniper in American history. Selma has made 29-30 million so far. American Sniper made over 103 million in the first 4 days. Gives you an idea about who our heroes are. I don’t think it is an under-statement to say that our culture is addicted to violence, guns, war, revenge and retaliation. Unfortunately, so are a lot of Christians...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/christian-chaplain-fired-for-preaching-compassion-and-love-over-violence-of-american-sniper/#.VPq0shJ8otY.reddit
 carleyrenee1
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/27/2015 12:43:34 PM
it's a movie
it's a movie
it's a movie
cripes!
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/27/2015 5:03:44 PM

it's a movie
it's a movie
it's a movie
cripes!

So you do think that movies like this have no impact on human behaviour?

With regards to forming opinions or dictating actions.
 cotter
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2015 5:27:18 PM
I still haven't seen the movie and don't intend to ...

... but I'm betting it would be a perfect movie to show little girls and boys who are fascinated with the idea of becoming GI Joe or GI Jane ...

(I hope they add some sort of trailer movie on teaching GI Joe how to act when serving in other countries ... sigh.)
Posted: 3/27/2015 7:12:01 PM
Shucks. Following threads like this reminds me of something that thankfully I've always been smart enough to recognize: When it comes to much of politics, governmental, national and international relations and activities, and generally all of the going-ons at the larger scales...I just don't really know hardly squat. I can't. Those realms are occasionally a whole different world. How it all works, all of the concerns, and everything that's really going on is so much more, and different, than the common person believes that they know.

Often, when we think that we can judge some individual or event on these scales, the common person really hasn't the slightest idea how it all really has to work or what was really going on. I'd like this to be different. Of course I would. And I'm certainly not referring to any kind of apathy or laziness. But I usually find it hard to have much of an opinion in these areas because I admit to myself that the one thing which I do know...is that I probably don't really know much about what's really happening or how it really works.

To be clear, I'm not even talking here only about spins or propaganda or withheld information, nor am I, again, talking about a lack of effort to learn. I'm also not claiming that we are always in the dark about everything or always incapable of understanding any going-ons...and I'm not endorsing the idea that these things be esoteric. Not at all. I just mean that, in casual everyday terms, we can't know much about these spheres unless we are in the middle of them ourselves. The one thing that I know for sure is that I don't really know all that much about these things, and occasionally it is intrinsic that I won't or can't.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2015 8:22:17 AM
Have any of you lot seen the british film Kajaki? Set in and near the Kajaki dam in afghanistan. I believe its called Kilo Two Bravo over the pond. Tis now on netflix. Telling the true story of the british squaddies caught in a soviet era landmine filled wadi. Corporal Mark Wright was an edinburgh lad. The bravery and humour shown in tragedy is immense.

They waited hours to be taken out on helicopters. I remember when the Mark Wright charity was on the go in eburgh. To build the Mark Wright centre.

All the survivors contributed to the making of the film. Heres a bit of the review from the grauniad and the promo clip is in the link. Honest folks it is a top notch boss film about ordinary laddies doing a job.

"The story of corporal Mark Wright is very different. What happened on that particular day on Kajaki Dam was unique. This wasn’t an improvised explosive device, or a contact with the Taliban. Through Mark’s story we see the life of your average soldier, placed in an extreme event. No polemic or hand-wringing guilt. This was a bunch of guys caught in the wrong place in the wrong time, by the horrendous legacy of a prior conflict: a field of Russian-sown anti-personnel mines, ordnance abandoned like beer cans after a music festival. It was only a matter of time before they would be found, either by the military or, as is sadly often the case, local inhabitants once the armies have cleared out.

The bravery this group of lads displayed on that day was incredible. But it is their everyman charm that is really remarkable. None of them sees themselves as a hero: they’re just doing a job, which they pride themselves in doing well. That’s the recognition they seek. They aren’t 10ft Rambos itching to see action; they are the sons and daughters of your friends and neighbours."
http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/jun/04/kajaki-american-sniper-iraq-afghan-war-film
 cotter
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2015 3:21:02 PM
Finally got to see the film when my patient got the DVD.

I consider it mostly propaganda and no doubt a good film to show so that more people will jump to enlist so our congress can send them in to satisfy the greedy war mongers.
Posted: 10/22/2015 4:31:31 PM
A good movie which isn't propaganda or just entertainment - Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2015 7:36:11 PM

is it a true movie?

Yeah, Kinda.... But even straight up Documentaries, take Their Liberties with the Facts.......
It's the Writer's/Director's Take on a True Story.......
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > American Sniper, Entertainment or Propaganda?