Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Freedom of Speech?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 226
Freedom of Speech?Page 10 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Drinks,
Nobody at Oxford, in any sort of 'official' capacity could have penned that "letter".
It has far too much 'ad hominem', to ever be considered to be a "reasonable argument".
It's just a racist 'troll'.

I live in Oxford, and while I didn't actually attend the university here, I feel I've still benefited from the heady aroma of academia, which has permeated the entire area, and which I've doubtless absorbed, involuntarily, by some form of 'cultural osmosis'. How else could I possibly know words like 'cultural osmosis'..??

The only "civilisation" Rhodes brought to, what was then "The Cape Colonies", (Later "Rhodesia", - because he was also a modest sort of racist. ) was the rhino-whip, the baton, and the rifle butt, (If you were lucky, the other end, if you were less so)
He was a "race supremacist", the architect of the "apartheid" system, his ill-informed, lunatic legacy still affects many people, even the racists who post here.

Then again, there is a 130 feet high statue of Genghis Khan in Ulaanbaatar, and he wasn't exactly 'santa' either.

Rhodes went on to establish the De Beers Diamond Company, which is still going today, and the monumental wealth, gained, by ruthlessly exploiting the natural assets of conquered 'colonies', using the 'slave labour' of the conquered peoples themselves, continues, to this day, as does his lovely, "generous", "scholarship" grant.
He was positively minted, which is why he got the statue.
Psychopathic race supremacists used to get the big bucks. Some still do.

To someone from that area, I can fully understand how a statue of a man, reviled by them, and/or their ancestors, for the worst, and most sadistic implementations, of some of the most repugnant racist policies ever recorded, anywhere, could be said to be "in bad taste".

Especially so, on the front of an establishment which is dedicated to the spread of the kinds of knowledge, which rightfully relegates such belief in "races", and moreso "racial supremacy", to nothing more than the rabid rantings of a demented, one-bollocked, Charlie Chaplain tribute act. [/Godwin. I called it!]
Too bad Hitler never left a 'grant legacy' to Berlin University eh? -They could have had a big statue of him, showing us all how tall he wished he was, like he always did.

-With the benefit of hindsight, Cecil Rhodes was a massive racist moron, but back then, everybody was.

Rhodes' statue continuing, seems like unnecessarily gloating, about the current benefits of past violent conquests, injustices, and dumb beliefs...
It also reflects the fact that wealth, however attained, continues to be 'worshiped', in preference to merit, and regardless of morality.

I think it should come down, because it's bad taste.
They could replace it with a statue of Jimmy Savile, or Michael Jackson, - if they must have a statue.

They should really turn their attention to repatriating the assets of De Beers, and then use it,
to build a 130 foot-high statue of Nelson Mandela,
facing this way, and sticking two fingers up!
JMO
 Bigguysal
Msg: 227
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/12/2016 12:03:27 PM
Really Mr. Jovian, you live near Oxford? Pity all of that intellect and open mindedness has passed you completely by. Its hard to live near a large University and be as small minded a man, intellectually devoid of critical thinking, and controlling as you appear to be on these boards.
 Onyx49
Msg: 228
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/12/2016 2:04:32 PM
omg...sanctioned racism...dream on....if this letter was wrote by anybody connected with Oxford...they would have been fired and the school issuing an apology.
But for the record...had this letter been a legit article...with that insulting language...Oxford would be a pile of burning rubble by now.
I never heard of anything negative about this school until now...I guess at some point a group will take a look and decide if action need to be taken.

But for now...we know that there is something dodgy going on there...thanks !!!
 Jo van
Msg: 229
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/13/2016 3:42:50 AM

Really Mr. Jovian, you live near Oxford? Pity all of that intellect and open mindedness has passed you completely by. Its hard to live near a large University and be as small minded a man, intellectually devoid of critical thinking, and controlling as you appear to be on these boards.

Marilyn,

It's obvious you're not a well woman.
I'm certainly not trying to be "controlling", that's all in your head.
You just don't like facts.
You don't like that I question the "validity" of primitive, superstitious myths, and like most religious people, feel I should be killed, for daring to suggest there might be an element of fiction there.
That's because it makes you face the reality that your "beliefs" are based on no evidence, if you did some critical thinking yourself, you'd stop accepting things on face value, or just because you're TOLD to believe it.
I don't do that, but you get angry, because I make you confront reality.
You're just angry with yourself, really.

Sunnydaysss:

That's nothing he brings one made up example on a thread and at best it's seen as expert advice that every parent should follow or they are being " angry"

Read it again.
There was no "advice", and no suggestions that anyone should "follow" anything.
And I don't know why you're so angry with me, (sunnydaysssssss?) as I remember it, I was always very polite to you.

Maybe I should just do as he says and then sue the fck out of him when I've proved my own point_:) get him to sign something legally

Maybe you should.
First, you'll have to find something, anywhere, where I told anyone, to "do as I say".
I suggest you do that, before you begin your legal action, and maybe quote it here, first?

I just give my opinions.
You don't have to like them, but for your own sake, stop getting so angry, and then maybe you'll see that there was no "advice" given.

That way when MR leafy suburbs comes to our city he can understand why I take no damn notice of his expert advice either way wouldn't take the risk_:)

Again, there was no "advice", "expert", or otherwise.
I'm not "coming to your city", and offered no "advice".
Calm down.
Read it properly.
I simply recounted my own experience.

The thread title here, is "Freedom of Speech",
see the irony?
 deetristate
Msg: 230
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/13/2016 3:53:49 AM
Immigrants almost always pick up the bad ideas of where they move to before the good ones.
That whole "safe space" foolishness is one of those Western/first world bad ideas.

""""Brandeis University took nearly a month to clear student journalists of wrongdoing for reporting on the university’s Take Back the Night march against sexual assault.
It did so less than a week after an outside group warned the school it was violating its own stated promises to students by investigating The Justice.
The editors also received a legal threat from a law firm on behalf of two students who were quoted anonymously – as were all self-described survivors – in the report.
“I’m glad that University administrators had the foresight to see the dangerous precedent that could have been established had they chosen to sanction journalists who were just doing their job,” Avi Gold, managing editor of The Justice, told The College Fix in an email.
Accused of ‘taking away the survivors’ autonomy over their stories’
The march in question took place nearly a year ago, featuring students who gathered together to share their stories of sexual assault. According to the paper, it has taken place at Brandeis since 2005.
“The story was written because sexual assault awareness has been an important issue to this campus for as long as I can remember,” Gold told The Fix."""

AND

:""""""""Donald Trump terrifies the "we-need-a-safe-space-from-anything-that-we-do-not-want-to-hear-" crybullies at Emory College.
While young women across Europe have no "safe space" from Muslim immigrants sexually assaulting them and the young men and women in France had no "trigger warning" before the Paris massacre yanked the whole country from their "safe space" and the folks in Brussels have no way to close their eyes to the reality of yesterday's terror attacks that killed and injured so many...... Emory college students are busy whining they they feel "intimidated" at seeing the words "Trump 2016" written in chalk on their beloved campus.
I kid you not!
Via Reason.com, titled "At Emory University, Writing 'Trump 2016' on Sidewalk Is a Racist Microaggression, Unsafe"As anyone who has spent five seconds at a college can attest, sidewalks covered in chalk messages are a pretty common fixture of the campus scene. But Emory University students had their delicate worldview shaken by the sudden appearance of one specific chalk message, "Trump 2016," all over campus.
The students were so traumatized that they stormed the offices of Emory President James Wagner, demanding answers and feelings-protection. Wagner sent an email to campus in a desperate and wildly unnecessary effort to make everyone feel safe again.
"I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here]," one student said. "But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school," she added."."""""""""

A similar "remove the statue" thing is happening in Louisiana:

"""""""A ruling Friday by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans said that the four Confederate monuments cannot be removed until the appeals process has been exhausted.

Four organizations filed a lawsuit in federal court Thursday seeking to stop a city council action that will remove four historic Confederate monuments in New Orleans.

While one group continues to fight for the future of four Confederate monuments in New Orleans, a state lawmaker filed a bill on Friday that would block the removal of similar monuments without the permission of a state commission.

Backlash against a plan to remove prominent Confederate monuments, which include Gens. Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard, as well as the Liberty Place and Jefferson Davis monuments, has been tinged by death threats, intimidation and even what may have been the intentional torching of a contractor's Lamborghini."""""""

I kind of like the NEVER AGAIN approach. Leave it as a reminder of what happened and to NEVER AGAIN allow it or engage in it.

The whole "destroy the statue" thing reminds me of the Taliban and Al Queda and ISIS blowing up art wherever they go.

History happened. You can't change it. You can make every effort not to repeat it.

chinook1111
Msg: 231
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/13/2016 7:05:06 AM
Did not some American universities experience violent attacks and protests directed towards right wing student groups in the late 60s and early 70s?Connected to the military iirc?
 Bigguysal
Msg: 232
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/13/2016 8:07:53 AM
Mr. jovian. Since so many assume I am marilyn, I went back and read her posts. She never threatened your life, or wished you dead, but she did accurately recognize yours is a life with no value and she did accurately see you for what you are: A controlling little man, living in a world of fantasy, who demands others see things the way you do. A man devoid of critical thinking ability. A narrow minded, bigot and racist AND loser . . . . most of all a loser. :-) Sorry if it is so difficult for you to face the facts about yourself . . . but only when you recognize your own shortcomings will you be on the road to recovery . . if recovery is possible. In your case, that is highly doubtful.

The good thing is as long as you continue on with your anti-Semitic rantings, the leftists here will be your friends and supporters. After all, they are rabid anti-semites themselves, anti God, anti just about everything that offends their poor little senses of justice.
 Bigguysal
Msg: 233
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/13/2016 9:24:47 AM
^^^^^^Who is bigbadpervert?

^^^^^ BigbadIrish is just another intolerant Leftist convinced of his righteousness, thinking himself intellectually superior . . . . like the other leftists here, who like to mock those with whom they don't agree.
 Onyx49
Msg: 234
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/15/2016 5:55:21 AM
The New York Football Giants, refuses to use the name..." Redskins "...on their football schedule due to the implied racism, and will only refer to them as...Washington....hopefully other teams will follow suit !!!
 oj126
Msg: 235
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/15/2016 6:07:10 AM
BB and isis fits in very well on such an anti European American hate fest.
 CaliforniaTiger01
Msg: 236
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/16/2016 10:29:53 AM
Keyword: Saskatoon. That is a city in Canada. Canadians do not believe in free speech, or anything that fosters creativity or innovation. Why do you think all their entertainers move to the United States? Uh oh, did I just insult somebody? Call the damn police, eh? Bunch of thin skinned losers who knee-jerk react to every little thing. Ban this Markus.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 237
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/16/2016 10:37:57 AM
Todd, Todd, Todd. You might want to consider very carefully whether you want people speaking freely to you.
 oj126
Msg: 238
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/16/2016 11:14:05 AM
Todd calls it. Spot on. Ask Howard Stern. Any rapeugee has more rights than a canadien citizen.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 239
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/16/2016 11:41:24 AM
Ask a " zio"? OMG have we entered a parallel universe?
 CaliforniaTiger01
Msg: 240
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/16/2016 1:19:50 PM
Threats and lies. Seen it before. Yawn, etc. Healthy debate and discussion, opinions are essential. These are things Canadians would not know about. This zero tolerance stuff is authoritarian garbage mixed with political correctness to the extreme. This site's own rules stifle any intelligent conversations it claims to have been designed for. And dating isn't even about intelligent conversation in the first place.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 241
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/16/2016 1:24:25 PM
Spread the joy of your obviously ecstatic life, bro..
 chinook1111
Msg: 242
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/17/2016 9:14:27 AM
The natives are getting uppity here in Calgary.The tsu tina band received 275 million in exchange for a parcel of land to build a ring road.Half goes directly to members.

A new Lincoln Navigator hurriedly enters the parking lot at the Timmies.A woman enters and loudly complains about speeding up the service.She barks out a large order to the young person at the counter.When the young person seeks to confirm the order she derisively asks if she has to write it down for her.

Myself and an older gentleman next to me look at each other in amazement at the attitude of this person.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 243
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/17/2016 10:13:38 AM
Ten years ago I was eating in a little sushi restaurant in North Vancouver and a man came in to pick up a take-out order. He was worked up about something and told the Japanese server to learn to speak English. Nowadays I would have made an attempt at humour to point out the irony of his statement, but back then I could be pretty intense, and when he walked by my table as he was leaving I said "You are a VERY rude man!" He looked alarmed.
 Onyx49
Msg: 244
Has Obama lost his fcck'n Mind...
Posted: 4/18/2016 11:08:05 AM
Obama, is tryna push thru another load of bullshit with an executive order regarding...gulp...undocumented immigrants
stating...if you're here unlawfully, but have otherwise been a model citizen...you can stay, but if you're a trouble maker it's hasta la vista...States like, Texas and Arizona are ready to fight over this...but should they ?

EDIT-256

Dude...listen, we've had this conversation before back when you were FGR..." Free Girly Rubs"...don't include me in none of ur dumbass, racist mentions...I don't associate with lunatics such as you....
 oj126
Msg: 245
Has Obama lost his fcck'n Mind ?????????????
Posted: 4/18/2016 11:17:06 AM
No , obongo is a carefully calculated and premeditated individual. Good to see you finally get it , Onyx. This election is a referendum on immigration ; nothing more or less. Black people accepting Western Culture have as much to lose in this fight as Whites do. DIEversity knows no bounds.
 deetristate
Msg: 246
Posted: 4/18/2016 2:09:48 PM
Obama is just encouraging more illegal immigration. And who is most adversely affected? Ask my cousin who lost a hotel job to an illegal after training that illegal. Ask my inlaw relatives who entered and remain legally. Why bother? Look up blacks against illegals online. Look at YouTube and Facebook. We need to wake up. All of us.

No one has a right to come to or remain in the USA.

No one was concerned about the minimum wage or heroin use until it began to affect others.

Why should they be allowed to stay? "Because it's nice" is not valid.

Also, all studies show that they cost more than they contribute, particularly when counting the billions sent out of the country via Western Union (i.e., earned but not spent in the USA)or some such, whether to Russia, Mexico or India or whatever.

This is not really about race.

(A comedian joked that it is Obama's revenge for how he was treated. That would at least approach a reason, more than what is the excuse given now)
 cassie2425
Msg: 247
Posted: 4/18/2016 2:48:05 PM
It's weird how this issue with illegals taking all the Americans jobs has only happened in the last 8 years...under a liberal President...and a black one that wasn't born here, oh, and he's a Muslim too.

Oh right...you guys had illegals going waaayyyyy back. Illegals from Mexico, black slaves too and what ever was left of the Indians they hadn't killed off with small pox or sphyllis. Great history, land of the free, home of the brave.
 chinook1111
Msg: 248
Posted: 4/18/2016 4:16:16 PM
The past doesn't matter,the U.S cannot absorb every illegal from the south,they have to look after their own first.Black and white need to have meaningful jobs.
 Jo van
Msg: 249
"Freedom?" - That's just some people talkin......
Posted: 4/18/2016 5:22:55 PM

This is not really about race.

Then why try to make it?

Look up blacks against illegals online. Look at YouTube and Facebook. We need to wake up. All of us.

When my late Dad worked at the car factory, in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, there was a lot of racism. An awful lot. Back then, almost everyone "white", and British, was racist.
It was all over the TV., in various "sitcoms", and the language used, would be considered extremely offensive, by today's standards. Using words like "nig0nog" always got a laugh, as did "coon", and "wogs". etc etc., ad nauseum.

My Dad, himself an immigrant, joined-in, because he was "white". Something which in later life, he admitted his error on, to me.
I remember one spectacular argument, which ended in him ripping a Jimmy Hendrix poster, from my bedroom wall, and screwing it into a ball, while telling me that it was HIS house, and he didn't want me putting up pictures of "black" men, in it.
(The irony was, that that particular poster of Hendrix was completely "solarized", and psychadelic, Hedrix had green, purple and red hair, and something like a bright orange, or maybe lime-green face! But I digress.)

I think one of the reasons my Dad joined in, was because it made someone else the "outsider". Suddenly, by openly becoming racist, my Dad was "accepted". Part of "us", and someone else was "them".

I think US-born people, with darker skins might be falling into the same trap.
It doesn't address the stupidity of racism.
And if you successfully, somehow "get rid" of all the current "them", the "illegal immigrants", then YOU will become the "them", again

I don't know why people continue to define themselves, by their skin-colour, (or some other "mystical", woo-filled, alleged "race", like "jews" etc) at all, -when that really shouldn't be what defines a person.

I'm not stupid, I know that in many people's heads, it still does. ("Define them") But maybe if people stopped describing themselves as "black people", and started referring to themselves as just "people", which is, after all, what they presumably wish to be thought of, it might be a start.

The adjectives "black" or "white" really add a whole different level of historical (and unnecessary, IMO) political baggage, to any simple sentence.
Eg "I was stopped by a "black" policeman", or "I was stopped by a "white" policeman".
Both have an entirely different meaning to " I was stopped by a policeman."

"Race" is an entirely divisive construct.
You can't make any sort of "judgement" about a person's "character", abilities, likes, dislikes, "goodness", badness", or any other ridiculous "unwritten" stereotypes, which are associated with "races", from the shade of their skin.
Anyone with any sense knows that.

And yet "we" still persist with it. Or at least, most people still do, and most people still think in terms of "race", and "self-ascribe" their own, while simultaneously not wanting to be discriminated against.

In a nutshell, I don't believe "all races are equal",
I believe there are no "races".
It serves no purpose, other than to divide, and has no basis in the new science of genetics.

I don't expect people to agree with me, or even to read it.
But this thread's about "freedom of speech".
So I did.
Goodnight
 daynadaze
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 4/18/2016 7:19:42 PM

Ban this Markus.

I thought Markus sold the site.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Freedom of Speech?