Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Freedom of Speech?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?Page 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
@cotter:

Which "god"?

ummm ...... The one that gave them the rights?
I used "quotes" around "god given" because it's a common convention to denote sarcasm. I'd have used air quotes, but I don't think you would have seen them from there.

It's only "one nation under god" because the bible thumpers lobbied to have it added back in 1954.

Way to pull something out of context and turn it into one of your hobbyhorses. I wasn't talking about the Oath of Allegiance, nor was the person I was responding to.

I personally believe it should be removed again because the US is considered a melting pot and should welcome all ... races, colors, and creeds. Not all believe in the same god or even in any god ... and those people should feel welcome and comfortable in pledging their allegiance to our country as well.

To be perfectly honest, I'm in agreement with you - but it would be a lot easier to believe that YOU believed it if you didn't take so much delight in denigrating "Xtians" and other religions yourself.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 52
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/29/2015 6:15:44 PM

Thank you for that - I'm sure you think it proves your point.

You are welcome, as you can clearly see that because someone holds the view that there is no such thing as a god they are persecuted.

Now I am sure you can show me examples of equal proportion of where a christian is persecuted, as that would prove we are all on an equal playing field here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet it just 'Frosts Your Cookies' that those Dead White Men wrote this in the Declaration of Independence......

No, but I do find it funny when I need to remind some from the USA that the word "Creator" was used as a metaphor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank GOD for the declaration of Independence and the founders and their beliefs in God. A very low minority flinging insults is just proving said person's ignorance.

I think pretty much covers it

Is America a Christian Nation?
Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian
3:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxKA4JBesB4
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/29/2015 6:35:03 PM
@hfx:

You are welcome, as you can clearly see that because someone holds the view that there is no such thing as a god they are persecuted.

That is exactly the same thing as saying Obama was "persecuted" for being born in Kenya. A bunch of idiots making noise and acting all butt-hurt because they didn't get what they want does NOT qualify as persecution. Not only did they NOT persecute them, but they didn't actually do ANYTHING - they just whined for a while and went away.

Now I am sure you can show me examples of equal proportion of where a christian is persecuted, as that would prove we are all on an equal playing field here.

Look at any of cotter's posts. That is exactly the same persecution as what this guy went through - in other words, NONE. Cotter may be constantly and unrelentingly vociferous in her contempt for her so-called "Xtians". You may find it tedious, annoying, offensive, or all of the above - but it's not persecution - it's free speech. In (both) these cases, the subset of free-speech commonly known as whining.
 aj7125
Msg: 54
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/29/2015 6:58:45 PM
Betty Bowers was funny in that skit.

The Declaration contains five references to God — God as supreme Lawmaker, God as Creator of all men, God as the Source of all rights, God as the world’s supreme Judge, and God as our Protector on whom we can rely.

Another swing and a miss HFX
 calguy14
Msg: 55
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/29/2015 7:20:12 PM
@Walts
Then I guess you have to keep coming back to the question of why did the U.S become a great nation.Or Britain.Not because they were pagans lying in the shade of a tree all day.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 56
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/29/2015 7:27:55 PM

Another swing and a miss HFX

Go easy AJ, he can't even get ahead on the count.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 57
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 4:17:08 AM

The Declaration contains five references to God — God as supreme Lawmaker, God as Creator of all men, God as the Source of all rights, God as the world’s supreme Judge, and God as our Protector on whom we can rely.

Then how do you think it will judge you, based on how you treat others?

Also according to your profile you do not believe in invisible sky men, so right there you have already committed a mortal sin and have assigned yourself to an imaginary place known as hell.

Or did you create that profile while you where visiting the cafeteria, or maybe you lied because of how people judge others who believe in fairy tales.
 aj7125
Msg: 58
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 5:40:04 AM
HFX, I have just explained in my profile and added what I mean as non-religious. I have been very consistent in the forums that I believe in God, had POF had a "spiritual but not religious" BOX, I would have checked that. And that still would not explain it all as my meaning may be different then others with the SBNR explanation. Anyway, for your future replies to my posts about God, you now know I do believe in God. If you want to troll men's profiles, please know I am not interested, I am interested in women only.

I will pray for you HFX.
 cotter
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 9:52:14 AM
Message 30 ... You write in your profile that you are "Christian-other" but just look at all the hate and intolerance you spew in here. Holding that much hate takes a lot of time and energy ... doesn't it get old?

Message 32 ...
That poster is an atheist, I could care less what they don't believe in. But for those who believe in God, that is great!!
There you go ... the words of a true hypocrite.

He could care less (ie has no respect) what Atheists don't believe in but thinks it's great that people believe in his "god". No tolerance for non-believers ... just the "believers". So, to hell with the non-believers and hooray for "believers".

Note ... he did not have high praise for people who might believe in some other kind of "god". Hmmmm ... might be one of those "Islamophobes"? One of those "my god is the only real god" folks? (Oh well, why would we expect anything else from the hypocrite that claims he voted for the "black man in the White House"?)

Message 54 ...
That is exactly the same persecution as what this guy went through - in other words, NONE.
I have been verbally attacked in public meetings for not participating in a prayer ... and even though it was against the rules of the club, I did not interrupt their praying ... did not go out of my way to point out that it was against the rules. Only after I was verbally attacked and publicly challenged and humiliated and chastised ... for not bowing my head and praying ... that's when I reminded them that it was against the rules.

Let Me take a WAG here, When this comes up You Strongly disagree with those People... You loudly Protest against them & their desire to Pray about it....
Even though it was insinuated in Message 30... that I become rude and loud and throw an "Atheist hissy fit" ... I never do any of those things. What would be the point?

Cotter may be constantly and unrelentingly "vociferous" ((noisy, loud, vocal, raucous, rowdy)) in her contempt for her so-called "Xtian.s" ...
Another insinuation that "Atheists" or non-believers know no other way to stand up for their "non-religious" rights/feelings but to be inappropriate?

I hold no "contempt" for those people who find it necessary to treat me like that ... calling me out in public, and chastising me further in future meetings and get-to-gethers. After I reminded these so-called "X-tians" that we were not supposed to be doing religious things during club activities, they went out of their way at a club potluck to (again) break the rules and call for everyone to "hold hands and pray over the food" but one (loving and caring) woman loudly told others not to bother to ask me to hold hands and join in the circle ... drawing all kinds of attention to my "non-believer" status. If she would have said nothing, the incident at the board meeting would have stayed in that room, but she took it upon herself (in a loud, vocal, rowdy and annoying way) to make sure the rest of the club knew. What does that say about her?

After their prayer was over, several other club members came to me and apologized for her behavior and some also told me they too are non-believers but don't want to be chastised as I was and so they just go along with it all. I reminded them too that the woman and her friends were breaking the rules as it's against the club rules to hold any kind of religious ceremony at club events. In the future, I always just arranged to arrive after their praying was over.

At the time, I was the president of the club and contrary to the insinuations of some posters in here, I still made no scene about it. However, as I was the one who presided over the board meetings, I did let them know that I was not going to allow them to break the rules ... and if they needed to pray for strength to make good decisions, they could just as easily do it in their car or the hallway before entering the meeting.

Such people are showing their true selves and all their ugliness. These so-called "X-tians" like to define themselves as "loving and caring" people, but there is nothing "loving or caring" about that kind of behavior. They are their own worst enemies. The reason I hold no contempt is because I truly believe that what goes around comes around. I have no need to waste my time with dwelling on their ignorance and intolerance of others' beliefs. They hate the non-believers just as they hate the Muslims. They have no tolerance for anyone who doesn't believe as they do.

You may find it tedious, annoying, offensive, or all of the above - but it's not persecution - it's free speech.
But, but ... only "X-tians" are entitled to that ... didn't you know?

In (both) these cases, the subset of free-speech commonly known as whining.
I am sorry if I come across as being "persecuted" or "whining" ... but in reality, I only tell it the way I've experienced it. In the end, I just generally feel sorry for the people who feel it is absolutely necessary to call me out for not being a "X-tian".

My life started out by my parents attending at first a Methodist church, then a Presbyterian church and then no church at all until the neighbors started inviting us to attend with them and that's when my mother (not so much my father) announced one Sunday morning that we were going to go "church shopping". We visited the Unitarian Church in north Columbus and never looked back.

In the end, my mother and father became Humanists and were actually very high-profile in the Humanist community in the central Ohio area. I spent my formative years learning to be patient and quiet and just let the "X-tians" blab on and on, then smile and let them know that I follow the rules and the law and no matter what they say or how badly they try to make me feel or look, I'm in my rights to expect that they too follow the rules. If that means "no praying or religious activities", then they have no right to push it on me and they have no right to ask me to break the rules or the law.

I cannot remember any time in my life that I believed in any kind of god or "superior being". I have given four people life and I know how life starts and it doesn't involve any kind of superior being or magical person ... no "sky wizard".

I work in a very religiously diverse job. My employer knows I am not religious and they have experienced that I have complete tolerance for every belief I am confronted with. If a patient tells me that they prayed and their pain went away, I tell them to keep praying. If I enter a patient's home and they are "in prayer" because they pray more often during the day, I make myself quietly busy (filling a medication planner or writing nursing notes) until they are done and then I go about my business with them as usual. If a patient requests special visit times because they will be at church or celebrating a religious function, I work around it.

I have to work around patients who "fast" related to their religious beliefs and it can be quite challenging to find solutions for them related to their medical needs that also complies with their religious beliefs. My diabetic patients need to eat several times a day in order to be safe taking their medications, so since they are not going to be eating, I have to find foods for them that digest slowly and I have to get special doctor's orders to reduce their medications during those times so they don't bottom out with their blood sugars.

If I was as intolerant as posters in here are making me out to be, I'd never be able to deal with such patients. If I was the kind of ogre some of the posters make me out to be, I'd not get elected to such positions ... no one would want me around.

LMAO ... you hypocrites wish no one would want me around ... such hate!
 etourdi65
Msg: 60
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 10:45:29 AM
what Christians on here have shown intolerance? Maybe you should look at the posts of some of your cohorts and then reevaluate your definition of showing intolerance. Many of those who refer to God as sky wizard and what not are some of the most intolerant and hate filled people on here,judging by their posts and the way they treat other posters.

Tolerance-1. the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 11:34:40 AM

I have just explained in my profile and added what I mean as non-religious. I have been very consistent in the forums that I believe in God, had POF had a "spiritual but not religious" BOX, I would have checked that.

The "spiritual but not religious" jazz doesn't cut it either. If you believe in god, that makes you religious. When I first ran into that...someone being so deceptive and dishonest, saying that they weren't religious and then you find out that they are...it really irked me. Especially when you run into this dishonesty on a single's site. It's another example of how the religious play word games. Language abuse. Linguistic bullying.

Of course, it's sad...not that it has any bearing at all in any way to the above point (this is an entirely different dynamic)...that we don't have a better common word in place of "spiritual", when the meaning behind it's use is accurate and appropriate.

what Christians on here have shown intolerance? Maybe you should look at the posts of some of your cohorts and then reevaluate your definition of showing intolerance. Many of those who refer to God as sky wizard and what not are some of the most intolerant and hate filled people on here,judging by their posts and the way they treat other posters.

Tolerance-1. the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

This dilemma falls under that category of how, even though an individual or particular group/church is not of the extremist/radical/fundamental sort, that doesn't let the religion off of the hook and they are by identification etc still upholding and perpetuating something which is at it's base bad in many ways, including the concept itself of intolerance.
 calguy14
Msg: 62
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 12:20:16 PM
^^
Still clinging to the genocide thingy?Phone Switzerland now.South of the Rio Grande needs management to prevent crimes against humanity.

But what will America do with the flood of Central American youngsters?You do know that for the young women what their first order of business will be don't you skooch?Will America become an overloaded lifeboat?The Chinese peer intently.....
 robaustralia
Msg: 63
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 12:34:02 PM

Nope, please stay your hate filled essay length ramblings about your totally irrelevant personal anecdotes are somewhat amusing.

Even more amusing is your uses of the word Xtians, which obviously you read somewhere from another mis informed bigot as yourself that that is offensive to Christians, so then you decided to use "Xtians" at any opportunity to try and offend people. We'll guess what? That is another thing you have wrong.

It is no different to Xmas or Christmas.

Even more amusing is your lampooning of Zionists who have to deal with a hostile neighbour, whose creed is the total elimination of Israel. But that is just your disguised way of trying to offend all Jews.

Keep up the good work.
 cotter
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 1:24:06 PM
Message 65...
Even more amusing is your uses of the word Xtians, which obviously you read somewhere from another mis informed bigot as yourself that that is offensive to Christians, so then you decided to use "Xtians" at any opportunity to try and offend people. We'll guess what? That is another thing you have wrong.
If it makes no difference and is not "offensive", why are you making such a big deal of it?

It's because you are nothing more than a "born-again" troll here on POF ... so I see no reason to place any value on anything you post.
 aj7125
Msg: 65
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 2:49:01 PM
"The "spiritual but not religious" jazz doesn't cut it either. If you believe in god, that makes you religious"
^^^^drink

I believe in God, not god, funny how you atheists type that word. I know some atheists, even family members and they are very nice people, you and some other atheists in here are angry hateful people. I don't deceive anyone in what I believe in. When you have "certain" boxes to check on this site, I would rather tell someone what I believe or don't believe in. Thanks for playing. Like the other whiny and "persecuted" poster, chill out and enjoy life. Your hatred is really showing, maybe you should fake being happy in life a little better!
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 66
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 3:48:38 PM

I have been very consistent in the forums that I believe in God, had POF had a "spiritual but not religious" BOX, I would have checked that. And that still would not explain it all as my meaning may be different then others with the SBNR explanation. Anyway, for your future replies to my posts about God, you now know I do believe in God.

Yes, but which one?

There are 10,000's of them.

If you want to troll men's profiles, please know I am not interested, I am interested in women only.

Yes I see that, and hopefully someday you will find that younger height/weight/proportionate horny lady.

I will pray for you HFX.

I will also do absolutely nothing for you as well.
 aj7125
Msg: 67
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 4:20:22 PM
May God bless you HFX, all His children are worthy human beings, that includes you also. Smile and be happy!!
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 68
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 5:47:49 PM

May God bless you HFX, all His children are worthy human beings, that includes you also. Smile and be happy!!

The irony being, if you do actually believe in a god, and you also believe it is all knowing, then it is able to see the true motive for what you said.

So will you be asking for his forgiveness?
 calguy14
Msg: 69
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 6:05:15 PM
@skoochie
Millions?Maybe a few hundred,mostly a few soldiers.The rest of the population would welcome the stability.Ortega and the Sandinistas were a good example of the sort that needs to be cleaned out.While you lefties were bowing down to him he was engaged in a genocide against the Indians of the Miskito Coast.You don't understand that people have very few rights and are locked in a caste structure,this is why they leave.This needs to be rectified.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 6:05:59 PM
@cotter:

Cotter may be constantly and unrelentingly "vociferous" ((noisy, loud, vocal, raucous, rowdy)) in her contempt for her so-called "Xtian.s" ...

Another insinuation that "Atheists" or non-believers know no other way to stand up for their "non-religious" rights/feelings but to be inappropriate?

I am not saying or insinuating anything about Atheists as a group. I would venture that most of the people I know ARE atheists - and I have no problem with them whatsoever. I am saying it about YOU.

You may find it tedious, annoying, offensive, or all of the above - but it's not persecution - it's free speech.

But, but ... only "X-tians" are entitled to that ... didn't you know?

I think it's really cool how you tried to take my defense of YOUR right to free speech - however odious I find it - and twisted it into yet another insult so you could display even more butthurt.

In (both) these cases, the subset of free-speech commonly known as whining.

I am sorry if I come across as being "persecuted" or "whining" ... but in reality, I only tell it the way I've experienced it. In the end, I just generally feel sorry for the people who feel it is absolutely necessary to call me out for not being a "X-tian".

I have never seen anything, in any of your posts, that shows sympathy for your "X-tians". All I have ever seen is your undisguised contempt for anybody who does not share your personal beliefs. (Hint: describing somebody else's religion "X-Tian", and always quoted, isn't particularly mature, adult or open-minded. It comes across as downright bigoted). That's just ONE WORD - what you do with the rest of your words is even more insulting and denigrating. Forgive me if I have a hard time believing your sorrow who you claim call you out.

Here's a question for you - when people call you out, is it because of your beliefs, or because of the manner in which you display them? I'd bet that before these incidents, you roll your eyes, sigh loudly, or mutter under your breath, or something similar. Then - when they take offense at YOUR actions and call you on it, you feel justified in your tantrums. It's passive-agressive 101 - and exactly what you just tried to do when I defended your right to free speech.

My life started out by my parents attending at first a Methodist church, then a Presbyterian church and then no church at all until the neighbors started inviting us to attend with them and that's when my mother (not so much my father) announced one Sunday morning that we were going to go "church shopping". We visited the Unitarian Church in north Columbus and never looked back.

I've got relatives who are Pentecostal (similar to Southern Baptists, but more rabid). They speak in tongues. They manage to make most Mujaheddin look downright wishy-washy. And you know what? I've never had a problem with any of them. Maybe - just maybe - it's because I don't get in their face and insult them?

And then:

"X-tians"

"superior being"

"sky wizard"

See comments above regarding contempt.

I have to work around patients who "fast" related to their religious beliefs and it can be quite challenging to find solutions for them related to their medical needs that also complies with their religious beliefs. My diabetic patients need to eat several times a day in order to be safe taking their medications, so since they are not going to be eating, I have to find foods for them that digest slowly and I have to get special doctor's orders to reduce their medications during those times so they don't bottom out with their blood sugars.

If I was as intolerant as posters in here are making me out to be, I'd never be able to deal with such patients. If I was the kind of ogre some of the posters make me out to be, I'd not get elected to such positions ... no one would want me around.

From what I read in that, you're talking about almost exclusively Muslims - very few Christians sects require fasting, and even those that do seldom actually DO it - who are not, according to my understanding of what you've written, "X-Tians" So not, you do NOT get brownie points for being nice to those that you do not have contempt for.

Pot, meet Kettle.

I don't hate you. I don't care enough about anybody here to hate them, regardless of how out to lunch I think some of them are. I don't care that you are an atheist. I don't care that you hate "X-Tians". You - and they - have just as much right to be here as I do.

What I DO hate, though, is the close-minded, vicious, vitrol-laden way in which you express yourself. And I have the same reaction to the other trolls in who do the same things.

This is supposed to be a DISCUSSION board. Try actually discussing sometime, instead of dissing. Who knows? You might even make a few valid points and convince others that you are right. But I can guarantee you that it's not going to happen if you keep on the way you are going. You bring the "hate" on yourself. It's not your viewpoints or opinions - it's how you express them, and the contempt you show for other posters and their opinions that believe something different.

Don't like it? Fix it. You're the only one that can.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 71
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:30:14 PM

cotter:
Message 30 ... You write in your profile that you are "Christian-other"

Let Me take a WAG here, When this comes up You Strongly disagree with those People... You loudly Protest against them & their desire to Pray about it....

Even though it was insinuated in Message 30... that I become rude and loud and throw an "Atheist hissy fit" ... I never do any of those things. What would be the point?

I checked the Christian-other Box as a Historical Reference, as that was My early upbringing... At this point in My life, I won't say there is or isn't a Higher Being... I can't prove it either way, even to Myself....

As for You taking My comment as Saying You were acting Hysterical, the fact You took it that way, shows, in Your mind You might have been.... I didn't accuse You of it.... You went there on Your own....

Your hatred is shown all over the OT Forum in Your many Posts here......
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 72
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:36:13 PM
So you think Atheists have Freedom of speech, here is some nice christian tolerance for ya all.

Christians Successfully Pressure Major Billboard Company to Remove Sign That Simply Notes the Existence of Atheists
January 30, 2015 by Bo Gardiner

Days after this identical billboard in Colton, California, drew television news reports of the “controversial” sign that residents wanted taken down, comes news today that the anti-atheists have succeeded in Mobile, Alabama. There they convinced the huge billboard company Lamar Advertising to remove the sign funded by the atheist and humanist group Gulf Coast Coalition of Reason.

What shocking image prompted the outcry?

A mountain sunrise and the offensive message that atheists exist.

The sign read: “Don’t believe in a God? You’re not alone.”

read more at:

https://bogardiner.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/christians-successfully-pressure-major-billboard-company-to-remove-sign-that-simply-notes-the-existence-of-atheists/
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 73
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 8:06:02 PM
If that was not enough, how about some words from this ultra tolerant christian.

Christine Weick interrupts Texas Muslim Capitol Day speaker

myfoxaustin

Published on Jan 29, 2015

Controversial activist Christine Weick interrupts a speaker at Texas Muslim Capitol Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4-C0aZ3V1Q&x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404#t=23
 aj7125
Msg: 74
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 8:12:49 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t1gv1zeMkY

This Andrew Klavan is funny but very wise and very smart. He tells a story that is light but hits home what is happening.

He and Bill Whittle are bright people who talk a lot of sense.
 cotter
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 1/30/2015 9:09:15 PM
Message 73 ...
I have never seen anything, in any of your posts, that shows sympathy for your "X-tians".
Now I am supposed to (for whatever reason I can't imagine) have some sort of "sympathy" for "X-tians" I have contact with?

I have sympathy for people who suffer losses ... but I don't understand a need to have "sympathy" for people who are practicing their religion.

All I have ever seen is your undisguised contempt for anybody who does not share your personal beliefs. (Hint: describing somebody else's religion "X-Tian", and always quoted, isn't particularly mature, adult or open-minded. It comes across as downright bigoted).
It's not (as far as I can find) an insult. According to the Merriam Webster online dictionary, it's merely an abbreviation ...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xtian
xtian
abbreviation, often capitalized

Full Definition of = Christian

Here's a question for you - when people call you out, is it because of your beliefs, or because of the manner in which you display them? I'd bet that before these incidents, you roll your eyes, sigh loudly, or mutter under your breath, or something similar.
And you are again wrong. I do not do any of the above.

In the case of the board meeting, I merely sat there and went over my notes (reading silently to myself) in preparation for the meeting. I recall looking up briefly and locking eyes with the woman who eventually called me out, but there was no gesturing on my behalf and no loud sighing, no muttering under my breath, and no rolling my eyes.

Then - when they take offense at YOUR actions and call you on it, you feel justified in your tantrums.
I don't have "tantrums". Even when I reminded them that the praying was against the club rules, I did not even speak loudly ... never raised my voice. That's not the way I handle those situations. Why would I do that?

From what I read in that, you're talking about almost exclusively Muslims - very few Christians sects require fasting, and even those that do seldom actually DO it - who are not, according to my understanding of what you've written, "X-Tians"
Well, you're mistaken. Seems you don't know it all.

I deal with a large group of Ethiopians who are practicing a different type of "X-tian" religion. I deal with patients who are attending an Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church ... and they are considered very devout. All of them love me ... don't want any other nurse to take care of them.

... you do NOT get brownie points for being nice to those that you do not have contempt for.
You are wrong ... I do not have "contempt" for "X-tians". I feel sorry for a person who would sit in a board meeting feigning to pray all the while watching to see if someone does not participate and then loudly call them out on it. What kind of person does something like that?

This was a woman who got what she wanted and I did not stop her and did not throw any kind of "hissy fit" and did not say anything about the club rules ... until she loudly called me out on not praying. Then I quietly told her that it was against the rules and reminded her that it was all noted in the copy of the club constitution that all members receive when they join the club. Then I handed her a copy of the constitution.

She was the loud one ... not me. And she made an even bigger fool of herself at the potluck we had not long thereafter.

I've had all kinds of experience listening to people vent and yell and do everything short of standing on their head ... and just calmly responding. I have also had my experience working with occasional angry inmates. It makes no sense to yell at people who are yelling at you ... they certainly wouldn't be paying attention as they would be thinking of the next thing they want to yell.

I'm not an "angry, bitter Atheist" ... I just don't want people to shove their religious beliefs down my throat. I do not impose my Atheism on them and certainly don't try to peddle it door-to-door.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Freedom of Speech?