Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentine's Day      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Valentine's DayPage 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Oh, hate being a danny downer, but son's mom pretty much ruined V-Day for me. Couldn't much do anything right for that woman romantically, esp. the latter third, ~10 years. Ya know, flowers, date night, filling up the tank at night during the winter so she wouldn't have to do it herself during the day, etc.

Might be nice to be with a woman who has that sort of bent in her personality that would make V-Day fun again; or any day of the year. Are they really out there?

TK
 cooldog65
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/28/2015 11:23:03 PM
CharminC...

My bday is near vday

Mine is just before Valentine's Day and it usually got lumped together with it. A double occasion with a single celebration.

I got married on Valentine's Day 1995. After we divorced (final January 2001), she told me I ruined Valentine's Day for her because she will be forever reminded of our wedding date.

I have mixed feelings about my birthday as I'm hitting the big one (50).

As for Valentine's Day, the strip club sounds like a fun way to celebrate. Make sure I have a small stack of $1s.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 28
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/28/2015 11:30:04 PM

Posted by CharminC:
"My bday is near vday"

Posted by cooldog65:
"Mine is just before Valentine's Day and it usually got lumped together with it.
I have mixed feelings about my birthday as I'm hitting the big one (50). "

Happy Birthday you two crazy kids!
Reaching the 50th Birthday is way better than the alternative, too. LOL.
 kj521
Msg: 29
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:39:03 AM
TK......

"Might be nice to be with a woman who has that sort of bent in her personality that would make V-Day fun again; or any day of the year. Are they really out there?"

Keep looking! She's out there.....probably wondering what is taking you so long to notice her! :)

I have to tell you though.....you don't need anyone else to make Valentine's day fun......I haven't had a date on Vday for the past 5 years....but I have enjoyed each one.

For me.....it is a day of hope like no other. Open your eyes and heart as you are going about your day and you will see love all around you! My heart warms and I can't but smile when I see a woman carefully selecting a card or a man contemplating the flowers in the store.

The hopeful romantic in me grins like an idiot and all is right with the World! You just have to open your eyes and see all the possibilities!
 BeckyHT
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/29/2015 7:26:35 AM
My honey is insisting we have dinner again at a top restaurant, where we had our first date-dinner. He says he believes that is where I decided to continue dating him (and of course he did impress me). I was using an alias name then (like I always do in the beginning), and when we walked out the restaurant door, a friend of mine called me by my first name, and the gig was off. Was funny. He likes to remind me of how funny it was.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 31
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/29/2015 10:32:33 AM

I was using an alias name then (like I always do in the beginning), and when we walked out the restaurant door, a friend of mine called me by my first name, and the gig was off.

LOL - I would think at THAT point, he'd think "Wait.... this date went well and all, but I don't think she's necessarily decided to start Dating me quite Yet."

It's funny how it's "cute" when we're really into a gal and she lied about some stuff -- but for anyone who's not so into the other or find out the other isn't into them -- and ya find out that other person was lying to you, it's the worst thing in the world. :)
 petula1908
Msg: 32
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/29/2015 4:10:14 PM
When I was working I would buy some red foil covered heart shaped chocolates and leave them anonymously on co workers desks. It cheered me up as I was nearly always alone on that day and it was fun watching them try to work out who had left the chocolates.

However I dont like it now as it reminds me of the fact that I don't have a lover and I avoid going out where there are couples and girls in particular carrying red roses. I know that often there is pressure for guys to rise to the occasion and spend money or else the girl is disgruntled and I dislike the commercial angle especially where a single red rose is 10 times the normal price.
 kj521
Msg: 33
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/29/2015 4:35:32 PM
"However I dont like it now as it reminds me of the fact that I don't have a lover and I avoid going out where there are couples and girls in particular carrying red roses. I know that often there is pressure for guys to rise to the occasion and spend money or else the girl is disgruntled and I dislike the commercial angle especially where a single red rose is 10 times the normal price."

Petula.....

I don't have a lover either......and if we lived closer.....you and I would be out looking for some! :)

And for me....it's not the price of the red roses.....I'm a daisey kind of girl!
 ozsealady1
Msg: 34
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/29/2015 11:35:53 PM
Valentines Day is also my birthday.

Impossible to go out with friends as they are all getting mushy with their significant other.

I have bought myself 2 tickets to an open air concert at the Zoo in Sydney with a spectacular view over the harbour.
Sit on the grass, drink wine, picnic and listen to lovely live music.

Last year took a single girlfriend.
This year she is attached so I will need to find someone else.

Can get mushy.
Last year 2 men proposed on stage.

Anyone want to accompany me?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 35
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/29/2015 11:53:27 PM

Posted by OZsealady1:
"Anyone want to accompany me?"

As long as our virtual, transoceanic, and utterly torrid love affair is still in full force...sure!
I can look over a frozen swimming pool and envision it as a summery Australian harbor.
:-)
 ozsealady1
Msg: 36
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 1:27:37 AM
Anytime my darling Eric.
Anytime.

The view over the harbour is spectacular.

and utterly torrid love affair is still in full force

^^^ I need MORE of this^^^^^^^^
 petula1908
Msg: 37
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 3:30:08 AM
Ozsealady

If I lived a little closer I would go with you. I used to live in the same area as that zoo and know it well.
Hope some guy pops up for you between now and then and you can take him. It is about the best harbour in the world and as a Sydney girl born and bred, yes, I am biased.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 38
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 5:19:55 AM
Happy Birthday to the Love Babies born on V-day! XoX

It was my parents anniversary. Mine is Feb 4th, we are going out for a fancy dinner in town.

On V-day, this year it falls on a Sat. Night, we have no plans specifically & I would be happy to spend the evening in cuddling & watching TV as I hate crowded restaurants (which it will be on a Sat Nite V-day) & maybe some not too unhealthy take-out food.

Last year he surprised me w/ Gorgeous Red Roses, I do not expect them this year...expecting ruins surprises, & the same thing gets boring.

For me, a really awesome V-Day gift would be a basket w/ Cans of Hairspray, nail polish remover & Catnip!

He likes it if I give him a gift card or gift cert to a local restaurant, then he uses it to take me out, LoL!
 aj7125
Msg: 39
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 6:35:26 AM
Valentines Day is just another day, but for those who enjoy it, that's great. The florists definitely love this day!

I actually went on my first date with my wife of 22 years on Valentines Day back in 1987. Wasn't planned to be on that day, just happened to be Saturday. The irony though is that 8 years ago, she passed away on Valentines Day of cancer. Although we had been divorced, was still a very sad day, especially for my two sons.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 40
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:11:39 AM

Never had a gf on V day.

A proper V day would include a box of chocolates, a dozen roses, a bottle of Dom Perignon and a foot massage.

You being married 3 times, surely you did have a wife during V Day. What did you two do?

So far, I have had 3 reminders that V day is coming, so I guess I better plan something. :)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 41
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:21:52 AM

However I dont like it now as it reminds me of the fact that I don't have a lover and I avoid going out where there are couples and girls in particular carrying red roses.

I had a VERY poignant experience about 35 years ago.

I used to spend a month at a time on business in other states, so I was in Maryland for V-Day. Decided to go to a very nice restaurant as I like a good meal.

Big mistake, I was the ONLY one by myself, all the tables had this heart shaped d├ęcor on each table, I noticed several people looking at me with sadness.

Normally I enjoy eating out by myself, but NOT that time.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 42
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:35:17 AM
AJ, that is rough and I'm sure you and your sons are stronger from that experience.

Dragon, the first wife was too mean and got a card only.

The 2nd and 3rd got the same treatment each and every year of the marriage, minus the Dom but including dinner out. Our lower incomes back then were more focused on the boys.

Shhh.....don't let 'em know I did a copy n' paste each time:)
 Dee4166
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 7:35:28 AM
Just another made up, commercial faux holiday....
I never needed a specific date to express how I felt about someone that I was involved with buy buying a bunch of useless, overpriced CRAP....
In fact, one of the BEST V-DAys that I ever had me and my guy stayed home, played a sexy board game and each wrote an "essay" on all of the reasons that we loved each other and were grateful to have each other....But then again, we used to do that at LEAST once a month...:-)

And frankly, feeling "bad" about not being in a relationship because it's Feb. 14, as opposed to the 13 or 15, has just always seemed like a waste of time and emotional energy to me...

Who cares? As I said. the expression of real love doesn't hinge on any particular day...but on EVERY day, and that's MUCH more important than any box of chocolates, flowers or jewelry will EVER be....
 cooldog65
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 9:42:31 AM
Once I entered my 40s, my mindset changed for Valentine's Day. Prior to that, I did what most everybody else did and bought the red roses and the Valentine's chocolates.

I decided instead of red roses, a bouquet that included a variety of color roses would be a nice change. It actually cost less and in my opinion showed some originality. As for the chocolates, I just skipped them. I also spent a good amount of time reading through greeting cards just to find the right one. I also douse the card with one of my colognes.

Last year I saw all of the sad sacks at the grocery store on Valentine's Day scrambling to buy red roses and chocolates. Some of them also bought a Mylar balloon or a little stuffed animal, too. Some of them looked a little stressed. They couldn't come home entry handed. I wondered how many of them only buy roses or flowers this one time of the year.

My birthday and Valentine's Day was usually celebrated on the weekend as I work overnight and my last ex worked swing shift.
 CharminC
Msg: 45
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 10:19:54 AM
[And frankly, feeling "bad" about not being in a relationship because it's Feb. 14, as opposed to the 13 or 15, has just always seemed like a waste of time and emotional energy to me...]

You're right Dee. And I completely agree!!! I am a huge advocate for not wasting personal energy.
BUT ..in my case and for perhaps others like who have bdays close or on it, who year after year have one disappointment after another or not even crumbs. NADA it's pure rotten luck. I haven't even been with anyone during this occasion in 10 years and for 7 before that he was a drug addicted cheating di*k who used MY money to buy me crap. That's 17 years.
All that red stuff out there and the mushiness is salt on a wound.
It's one thing to deal with vday. It's another when there's a bday too.,
It's like this... seeing and hearing all that stuff is a big "Oh look! A scab*ripppppps*"
Salt on a wound I tell you. Every freaking year.
That's why I make my cake and eat chocolate with my boys. No disappointments.

My expectations are too high so I keep them way down low
*cue grumpy cat face

Sorry for the debby downer :/ Gonna stay out of this thread from now on and ignore it lol. :P
 basilisk123
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 10:45:10 AM
Lol I am kinda jealous of all the people doing stuff for valentines day...

:-/

My friend is seeing someone, so I am sure she will spend valentines day with him.

I have absolutely nothing to do, but sulk, binge watch Criminal Minds and pig out on pizza.
 MeMeMeatlast
Msg: 47
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 10:52:35 AM

And frankly, feeling "bad" about not being in a relationship because it's Feb. 14, as opposed to the 13 or 15, has just always seemed like a waste of time and emotional energy to me...

I concur, I'd rather not be a part of this automaton society saying in a robotic, monotone voice " oh no, it's Feb 14 and I'm single, oh woe is me, pass me the knife so I can end it all right now "

It's just another day.
 Maleman999
Msg: 48
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 11:15:57 AM

BUT ..in my case and for perhaps others like who have bdays close or on it, who year after year have one disappointment after another or not even crumbs. NADA ....It's one thing to deal with vday. It's another when there's a bday too.

For me, birthdays are no more special than the Hallmark holidays. I feel exactly the same the day before, the week before, the day and week after a specific calendar day. The only value I see in remembering a birthday is when I have to fill out a form where it asks for either my birth date or my current age. Being by myself on a birthday and not having any hoopla suits me just fine, since it's just another day. like any other day, to me. There's nothing special or unique you have to do to achieve having a birthday. This is a case where age is just a number.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 49
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 2:02:56 PM

Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Does anyone have plans? I will be passing out candy to the patients at the nursing home. My Dogs and I have Valentine's Day Outfits.

I love Valentine's Day with the colors pink, red, and white. I love the little conversation hearts. If you could print anything on your conversation heart what would it say? Mine would say, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Love is in the air. I love Valentine's Day !

Re-read the OP.
She's widowed, hasn't been in a LTR recently.
Plans--she is GIVING---of herself. She is positive. A beautiful lil ray of sunshine.

DING DING DING-WE HAVE A WINNER.
Any normal nice guy in a 1 gazillion mile radius of her would be insane not to grab her up!

SHE IS UPBEAT!
 ozsealady1
Msg: 50
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 2:59:50 PM
Petula I did think this could be an opportunity to say hi to you as I remember you once said that you lived in that stunning part of Sydney.

Fingers crossed I can find someone to accompany me.

I will be passing out candy to the patients at the nursing home. My Dogs and I have Valentine's Day Outfits.

People like you and your dog are rays of sunshine in nursing homes.
Good for you.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentine's Day