Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentine's Day      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Valentine's DayPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
It's always seemed to me that Valentine's Day is the day of competition amongst women to see whose man wins the "Best Boy" contest and which BF went the furthest to please his woman. It's a day made for women to test their men.

Dee4166
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 4:36:44 PM
And some of us give of ourselves EVERY single day.....
Is there a prize for that somewhere that I'm unaware of?

Last I checked and Life...has said that as well....the reward is that you get the "warm and fuzzies"....
Sorry not all of us are as "upbeat" as you seem to believe we SHOULD be about a made up "holiday"....

@charmin and cool........I will make sure to send you BIG B-Day wishes on V-Day..... ;-)
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/30/2015 6:04:33 PM
I am single now and I love it. I will be with my mother my best friend on valentines day and she spoils me rotten LOL. I wish that I could find a man as good as my mother or I am staying alone. We will go to a great place to eat .I will spoil her too LOL.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/31/2015 7:21:21 AM
No plans, and no worries.
 petula1908
Msg: 55
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/31/2015 2:11:54 PM
kj5 21

If we were out together no one would be looking at me. You are much younger and hotter. lol!
 petula1908
Msg: 56
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/31/2015 2:13:44 PM
Hi Ozsealady

I lived around Mosman for 18 years, Kirribilli, Cremorne and Lavender Bay for a few more years. Born and raised in that area and
now living further north. Fingers crossed you find someone compatible to take with you on your special day.
 Dreamin_of_you
Msg: 57
Valentine's Day
Posted: 1/31/2015 8:15:45 PM
IT IS nice to be upbeat about life and living.

However, as some have pointed out, not everyone enjoy's February 14th.

I see it as just another day with the exception that Hallmark makes a bundle .

I'll be spending this VD day just like all the rest. Dreaming...
 geekgrrrl
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 1:23:46 AM
I always buy myself a dozen roses on VD. Why shouldn't I? I love roses and I think I'm awesome! If I get some from anyone else its icing on the cake :)
 loveisatemple
Msg: 59
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 5:31:41 AM
I kind of like V day, as I like chocolate, but not the commercial hype or overpriced dining on that day.

Op, that plan sounds lovely. For the life of me I don't get the hate about a day like that. Call your family, call your friends. It is important to remember people, and the spirit of the day.

My exes hated it. I usually did something homemade, dessert, cartoon card, a meal, and yes I bought flowers for them on different occasions like this. They loathed gender roles and I didn't feel constrained. They loved the flowers, to my surprise, more than I like them. Once, a guy did that spontaneously, and while I thought it sweet, didn't know him that well. A tiny cactus or plant would have pleased me as much.

If you know someone who needs cheering up, call them on that day. I was going to meet a guy, supposedly interested in a ltr and we had been talking before V day. He disappeared and reappeared after V day. I was a bit put off. It would have been corny to say Happy V day, but better than my wondering if he was on a date or just afraid of that day. He turned out to be another flake I never bothered meeting.

As for hating couples, I guess I never cared seeing that often gloaty display. I was a waitress for a bit and V day always started off lovey dovey, then turned into a war when the check came, who pays stuff, tears. The only time couples annoy me is when they entwine hands and block the sidewalk, appear frantic if you try pass them, ergh.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 60
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 11:23:06 AM
BF made a motel room reservation over a month ago. A local motel, with a jacuzzi in the room. I can hardly wait! Around here, by February, I need to feel hot! LOL!

My candy heart would say, "Against all odds", or "Really?", "What was the chance?", and finally, "Blessed".
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 61
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 11:47:50 AM

I always buy myself a dozen roses on VD. Why shouldn't I? I love roses and I think I'm awesome!

Because V-Day is for couples. I guess the same reason why you would go to a fancy restaurant on VDay evening, all dressed up, and "buying yourself" some fancy meal, with a mirror on the other end.

"No, you're schmoopie... no, you're schmoopie..."

That would be a great comedic thing to do, as other couples in the place are looking. :)
 geekgrrrl
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 4:49:35 PM

norwegianguy123 said:

Because V-Day is for couples. I guess the same reason why you would go to a fancy restaurant on VDay evening, all dressed up, and "buying yourself" some fancy meal, with a mirror on the other end.

"No, you're schmoopie... no, you're schmoopie..."

That would be a great comedic thing to do, as other couples in the place are looking. :)

It's not something I'd do but sounds like you have a plan. Go for it! I'm sure everyone will find your antics hilarious...lol :P
 petula1908
Msg: 63
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 5:16:27 PM
When I was younger I was sad if alone on Valentines Day, that was the truth. I would send anonymous cards to a guy I fancied and then waited to see if he responded. lol!! There were a couple of occasions when chocolates were delivered to my door as well as cards, anonymously and I never found out who sent them. I made the mistake of sending an anonymous card to a close friend of mine to cheer her up but when I confessed it was me, and not the guy she was hoping it was, the look on her face of such disappointment, I never did it again.

But the day soon passes and we just get on with life. Now that I am older it means nothing really and as you say, I like to give gifts any day of the year and there does not have to be a special occasion to do so. Certainly not being ripped off for chocolates and such like that are back to normal price the day after.
 petula1908
Msg: 64
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 5:22:26 PM
Il Capitano

I agree that with some immature females that may be the case. And woe betide the guy who does not step up to the mark! It is all just manipulation really and who are they kidding? The last thing it really is, is romantic and loving. Get me flowers, chocolates, other gifts or no nooky tonight!!!
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 65
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/1/2015 5:57:39 PM

I like chocolate, but not the commercial hype or overpriced dining on that day

I told him since V-day falls on Saturday, too crowded on Sat. Nite ( I hate crowds) let's do LUNCH on Friday the 13th instead, NO ROSES, I got them last year.

And if u love chocolate on Feb 15th, things go on clearance...

;0P
one year I waited 1 week & got Godiva 90% off at Macys
 ozsealady1
Msg: 66
Valentine's Day - I love it when a plan comes together.
Posted: 2/1/2015 10:22:50 PM
YAY!!!!

Have invited a charming man I met in real life to accompany me to the Twilight concert overlooking Sydney Harbour.
I did not mention it was my birthday nor V day, merely Saturday week.
He said yes!!! YAY!!! Said it sounded very civilised. I agree.

I have paid for the tickets and he is bringing a gourmet picnic dinner.
So I will be enjoying charming male company, delectable food, stunning scenery and beautiful music.
A wonderful way to spend my birthday. (Sorry Eric.)

I did not tell him it was a date.
We have not had a date. Met and spent time together via sailing and boats.
Rafted up together with other people for a few days last month.

He is a widower, (10 years) with his own yacht, lives on land, works part time and likes many of the same things as me.

The last day I saw him he hand fed me grapes whilst I was lazing in a hammock on the foredeck of my boat after he made me delicious coffee on his earlier that morning. My boat does not have a coffee machine. His can make cappachino.
So I know he makes great coffee and can pour wine like a professional.

Could be a memorable evening.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/2/2015 2:23:11 AM
Great to hear Ozsealady! You kids have fun!!

I was chatting with a lady last week, and she said she was hoping too meet someone.."especially with Valentine's Day coming and all". ..lol

pfffft, Nobody bought me chocolate on super bowl Sunday. :P
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/2/2015 9:14:29 AM
OzSea, u have exhibited much wisdom...I think u just snatched the grasshopper, is that how it goes, out of someone's hand?
 calguy14
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/2/2015 9:19:16 AM
Trying to figure out how much I have to spend. :)
 BeckyHT
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2015 9:31:19 AM
Ozsealady, you can make it a memorable evening with the right invitation. LOL.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 71
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/2/2015 9:56:44 AM

too crowded on Sat. Nite ( I hate crowds) let's do LUNCH on Friday the 13th instead, NO ROSES, I got them last year.

Hmm, Valentine's Day on a Saturday night, or going out on FRIDAY THE 13th. Which sounds more cozy? No roses? Geez, I guess you can't complain if he wears a goalie mask since it's Friday the 13th. :)

BTW -- there's some dude coming up behind you, trying to hit on you! Look out! ;)
 ohenryx
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/2/2015 1:28:49 PM
Now here’s one that I’ve never encountered before. This is for a Valentine’s Day Party, being put on by one of the Meetup groups that I’m a member of.

• It's a Valentine party and you are invited with your "date".

Bring someone who is definitely not your present mate.

A fun and exciting evening will be on hand.

So Bring that "ex-sweetheart" or "ex-angel" that you've canned.
We will give all our "dates" away as we come through the door,
And hopefully find a new one.

So bring a friend of the opposite sex, requirement for entrance.
We'll group by astrological signs.

Bring a bottle of wine and snacks and let's enjoy a pleasant event

I don’t think I’m going to attend this one. You have to bring a “friend of the opposite sex”, that is a “requirement for entrance”. I can just see me inviting a woman,

“Would you like to go to a Valentine’s Day Party with me? And oh, by the way, I’m going to immediately give you away when we get to the party.”

Somehow I don’t see this going over well. In the comments section for this particular event, one woman even mentioned that “the ex-ladies probably won’t take this as well as the ex-men”.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 73
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/2/2015 1:35:21 PM
I wouldn't call it a Valentine's date because we are doing it this weekend instead of the 14th. We bought tickets to the ballet, Romeo & Julliet. For the event she bought a new dress, new underwear, an incredibly awesome coat (Peta friendly). I am making reservations to a very expensive restaurant with enough time to then make it to the event. We have a baby-sitter for the whole night. She finds Valentines to be silly. We are doing this simply because we have tickets and we want to do something decadent, decked out, extremely sensual, and all out sexual.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 74
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/2/2015 1:52:17 PM

She finds Valentines to be silly. We are doing this simply because we have tickets and we want to do something decadent, decked out, extremely sensual, and all out sexual.

Very cool.... but what does she think about Steak & Blowjob Day (March 15th)? Google it, if ya never heard of it... it's funny.
 activemelaney
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/2/2015 2:11:06 PM
^^^ ohenryx

That's all a bit odd.

I help to organize a few Meet Up events. What we learn is to not make requirements on social events. For example, announce a dance and 50 people sign up. Make it a costume dance and 15 sign up...all female. Make any event 'corny' such as dress up, or your bring a partner, astrology signs and it becomes a chick event. It's best just all to get together for fun and let the men feel less obligated to have to think about it. We have potluck events and we actually state it's ok to bring a bag of Cheezies.

Re your event if you want to go. Why not just message a female member of the group that you know and go together? It is easier for both of you..
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentine's Day