Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentine's Day      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 browneyesboo
Msg: 126
Valentine's DayPage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I made a teddy bear at build a bear with my grand daughter.
I put a red heart headband on it...gave it a rose bouquet
bracelet, named it after me, then went home and gave it to
my roommate.

Gave him something to think about, but I just wanted to make
a bear.

My granddaughter made a giraffe with a tutu and roller skates.
We had lunch and ice cream and then I went home to wait for
the next storm which dumped about 14" of snow on us.

All in all...a great day. Made especially better when the bookstore
was closed on Sunday and I had the day off.

Life is good.
L
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/18/2015 8:54:55 AM
My Ex boyfriend called me valentines weekend and I told him I will not go back with him. He wants to be friends. I went shopping and out to eat with my mother and daughter. We spoiled each other rotten LOL. There was alot of women alone shopping.
 petula1908
Msg: 128
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/18/2015 1:51:42 PM
As Valentines Day fell on a Saturday then of course people would be out alone and shopping, as normal. Your ex wants to be friends? We all know what that means....lol!!
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/18/2015 2:08:36 PM
Yes it is the the norm for people shopping to be shopping on sat but it was valentines day and a lot of women where alone buying jewlery etc for them selves. I only saw one couple at the jewlery counter. My ex wants FWB He can take a long walk on a short pier LOL.
 LuvFishes
Msg: 130
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/4/2016 4:18:40 AM
Well I have passed up a harbor cruise, dinner and live music... yeah I am getting pounded by my coworkers who are in mid to late twenties... I explained have done that probably 3 of the last 5 yrs of dating.

I did get our young, single women to get together and have a night out on VDAY... they find they actually have a blast, they are loud and loads of fun. They have had couples who have joined them because of their joy. Impromptu singing, drinks, great food they have empowered each other.

As for the harbor cruise : I can see how they are thrilled by the romance but first year was because of relationship... hmmm the others to remind me he's still around. Probably in my 30's it was important to receive flowers, balloons and candy. X spouse was very romantic and thoughtful. Nah... I don't miss that I guess age changes my perspective. Surprise me out of the blue is always better to me. Or be playful while were creating a meal, kiss, tender moments would be more of a turn on and appreciated a whole lot more.

LOL actually it's my nephew BDAY- Feb. 14 doing the family dinner thing which is more important. Boss sends flowers to each female staff so none of the girls feel left out. But it's never been my favorite holiday... 4th of July is.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 131
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/4/2016 7:50:12 AM
I've never understood the hype around Valentine's day.
Show your partner that they're special every day.
I've always preferred the spontaneous surprises of flowers or a gift at other times of the year; on V day it seems more contrived or an expectation.
It's a big deal to my fiance, so we celebrate with dinner, cards, chocolates.
Last year was the first real effort I made for Valentine's Day. I made him a video slideshow complete with a song, of pics of us from our years together. He still watches it.
If you treat it as a big reminder that you are single and make an effort to celebrate with other singles...seems odd to me.
Celebrate the other loves in your life...children, parents, friends and let it be a reminder that you are fortunate in so many ways.
It's just a day.

My fav holiday is Halloween :)
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/4/2016 11:48:05 PM
I am lecturing on the history of chocolate to those who are enrolled in our University of the Third Age and will hand out little heart shaped chocolates to the older set as no one woos or romances you once you are elderly. So good on you for going to the nursing homes with your adorable pets.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 133
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/5/2016 4:08:43 AM
This year, I'm taking my son to a youth Pride dance on the 13th.

On V-day, I'm cooking a "love day" meal for my family and best friends. (My guinea pig, Cinnabunz, will have a large veg plate.)

If I celebrate the day with self-love -- or with a lover -- or with family and friends -- I'm celebrating it. Then again, it's an every day event for me.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 134
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/5/2016 5:19:56 AM
I send out cards to friends.. try to make it a bit of a special day with him without going overboard and buying into the frenzy.
I like recalling silly bits - in grade school we would make boxes.. and then each kid in the class would pop in a Valentine ( you bought a giant book of them for next to nothing)
Always one kid who messed up - I got " to my teacher" twice.
Maybe I taught him something LOL
Stores hawking everything with " Valentine" label. Perfume, socks, etc
 CecillyAnn
Msg: 135
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 9:21:24 AM
I once read a book called "Waiting" which was the true story of a woman's experiences as a waitress. She said that Valentine's Day was the worst day to be on dinner shift because most of the couples seemed to be absolutely miserable!

I think our society puts way too much emphasis on living in pairs.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:29:25 AM

I only saw one couple at the jewlery counter.

Yeah, understandable. The guy would have already bought a piece of jewelry for his gal, bringing her or just by himself, at least the day before (like buying Xmas presents before Xmas).

My ex wants FWB He can take a long walk on a short pier LOL.

Well, it wasn't insulting that he wanted to be friends again, with assuming more-than-friends engagements intertwined. A lot better than him wanting you to, say, take a long walk on a short pier, right? I know it's a little off-topic, but I don't understand why some gals get More Upset at a guy if he wants something in-between (like casual dating aka FWB) than never wanting to see/talk ever again. I would assume, if anything, it would mean they Some feelings about you -- which is better than not caring if you get hit by a truck, right?
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:38:10 AM
Gosh, it's been a year already since I last posted here. And, here I am in Florida again celebrating birthdays. Yesterday, my Sister turned 58 and we went to see the Orlando eye. Biggest "ferris wheel" I've ever been on and the view of Orlando was wonderful. Then saw the wax museum and the aquarium. On the 13th my Mom turns 90 and we're having a party. Florida is a great place to celebrate Valentines Day even if everyone tells me it's "chilly" here. I'll take a chilly 65 degrees any time.
 Walts
Msg: 138
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:38:43 AM
I'm hoping I can get another bottle of lube, replacing the one from last year. She's a tough grind but, a little easier with the gooey stuff.
 Maleman999
Msg: 139
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 10:46:33 AM

I once read a book called "Waiting" which was the true story of a woman's experiences as a waitress. She said that Valentine's Day was the worst day to be on dinner shift because most of the couples seemed to be absolutely miserable!

Maybe some guys were pissed off because of yet another Hallmark holiday where society orders guys to shell out more money, even if they haven't finished paying off the credit card bill on Christmas gifts less than two months earlier, and the misery spreads to the woman, which ends up making them both miserable. Valentine's Day should be in the middle of the summer-six months away from Christmas.

Or maybe the couple is at a stage where they know the relationship is pretty much over, but they have to go through the motions of being all lovey dovey on Valentine's Day to not cause any suspicion. But it would be hard to keep that act up for any length of time.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 140
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 3:51:27 PM

I once read a book called "Waiting" which was the true story of a woman's experiences as a waitress.

There’s a movie by that name as well, starring Ryan Reynolds. I was horrifically scarred forever by a nutshot no woman should ever have to see.

(No, they weren’t Ryan’s)

Valentine’s Day is nothing but a commercial scam. Who the heck is Saint Valentine anyway? I know Saint Patrick is the saint of booze, and Saint Nicholas is the saint of commercial excess…maybe saint valentine is the saint of SO guilt?

When I was a young girl my dad would bring home three heart shaped boxes of candy, for me, my mom, and my grandma. None of us blackmailed or threatened him into it. Some women have to have something to show others to prove she is loved (or else), I guess.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 141
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 6:38:56 PM
This year I'm going to do what I do every year: Buy myself some fresh cut flowers and send myself steamy messages. I'm never disappointed :)
 coffeetogo127
Msg: 142
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/6/2016 8:42:18 PM
As a musician, married to a musican, I don't think I have ever celebrated a Valentine's Day. It was guaranteed one of us would be working if not both. Well not since elementary school when we would all bring a class set of valentines.

I lie- one year we both played the same gig- a Viennese ball- we managed to leave the orchestra for one dance together - I guess the conductor was in a good mood to allow that! Champagne was available, only after we played!
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 143
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 1:26:38 AM
The only good thing about this time of the year (commercially) is the food. I always love the treats -- especially around Chinese New Year! (My bestie and I are going to chase those, this morning). My other friend gifted me with two mortar and pestle sets made out of different materials in observance of the trifecta of celebration: Chinese new Year, V-Day, and my son's excellent grades.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 144
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 9:57:57 AM
Valentine's Day was my wedding anniversary. If I was still with ex hubby, this would our 24th wedding anniversary. Makes me a little sad because I never wanted to get divorced, even though I was the one who eventually filed. Not a happy day for me.
 daynadaze
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 12:07:59 PM
This is my granddaughter's first year to get to take valentines to school. She's not sure how this works but she's excited. Her class is going to have ice cream sundaes, she's not an ice cream eater but I'm sure she'll love the toppings, like sprinkles. Also it's her birthday a week after Valentine's Day, so it's a fun month for me. :-)
 Maleman999
Msg: 146
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 12:49:03 PM
If there are seasons for dating, I would think the time frame from about November until after Valentine's Day would be the slow season for starting new romantic endeavors, since it could be awkward about what to do at Christmas and Valentine's Day with someone you just met. The new person could be the love of your life or someone you split up with a week later.

As far as Valentine's Day being a wedding anniversary, it could be worse-if you would've got married on your birthday. You can block out most of the hoopla about V-Day, but it's harder to ignore when people are reminding you of your birthday. I know a couple who got married on one of their birthdays, and I'm sure they weren't thinking about how it would feel if things didn't work out and the constant reminder was a birthday.
 cooldog65
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 6:14:00 PM
Just like Karma, I was also married on Valentine's Day (1995). Divorce was final by January 2001.

After the divorce, she said being married to me ruined Valentine's Day for her. Sour grapes.
 lil_poppy
Msg: 148
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 8:49:39 PM
I'm going to buy a bottle of red wine, some chocolates and a tin of Fancy Feast. I'll put on something sexy and a Barry White CD on and the cat and I will slow dance til dawn. Just like last year.

Are you b!tches jealous? Lol
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 149
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 9:56:23 PM
OMG...I loathe Valentine's Day...it's all about spending money to create romance and make women feel special...why ?
What makes this day more special then any other day...because some greeting card company, or flower peddler says so.
Men hate feeling obligated to spend a fortune to make a woman feel loved, and so should she......
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Valentine's Day
Posted: 2/7/2016 11:34:01 PM
I am with you. The charades that go on with men having to buy roses which are five times the normal price just so the wife wont get grumpy or he wants some action that night. I know a guy who badmouths his wife every chance he gets, she is a psychopath etc. but guess what!! Come Valentines Day the roses will be brought home and just to shut her up.
It is a day that can make the single person who is alone, feel lonely and sad and the sooner it is over, the better.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Valentine's Day