Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 robaustralia
Msg: 251
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISISPage 11 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
Comparing the Crusades to ISIL is a non event. The Crusades were defensive against the Muslims who had been slaughtering Christians for years.No doubt excesses of force were used.However in the last Crusade, Christians ended up fighting Christians.

What the current day Islamic terrorists are doing is offensive.

Anyway attributing atrocities to Christianity throughout history means you don't understand that those atrocities are not the teachings of Christ. However the teachings of Islam condone the use of violence against any Non Muslim.Because any Non Muslim is considered an enemy of Allah.

Not all Muslims subscribe to that view however ISIL do.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 252
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:01:02 PM
^^^ I know a lot of Muslims that would disagree with the tripe you just posted. Fanatics read a book and interpret it to fit their needs...the teaching of Allah and the teaching of Christ are not immune. Fanatics...terrorists. Know the difference between people of faith and fanatical terrorists. And why is an atheist trying to teach you this?? I thought you were smarter.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 253
Posted: 2/15/2015 5:05:30 PM

Anyway attributing atrocities to Christianity throughout history means you don't understand that those atrocities are not the teachings of Christ

That statement means you really have not read that book called the bible.

Anyway attributing atrocities to Christianity throughout history means you don't understand that those atrocities are not the teachings of Christ. However the teachings of Islam condone the use of violence against any Non Muslim.Because any Non Muslim is considered an enemy of Allah.

God asks christians to kill non christians

fettah hanane

Uploaded on Jul 5, 2009

God asks christians to kill non christians

Some christians try to show that just in islam's book (quran) where the god ask for killing and they call it terrorist and violent religion not like christianity and jewish, I'm sure that those people didn't read any thing about their religion (christianity or jewish) and they have tried just to search quran's negative points, but they should search at first in their bible ( for christians) or torah ( for jews) I'm sure that they will surprise and they will find that really islam is the most peaceful religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uUxu4wsf98
 etourdi65
Msg: 254
Posted: 2/15/2015 6:51:09 PM
So? You keep equating Muslims with Christians...did Christians crash planes into buildings killing thousands in 2001? Do Christians blow themselves up on a regular basis hoping to kill infidels?

Atheists kill too..the guy in N.C. was an atheist
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 255
Posted: 2/15/2015 7:02:53 PM
etourdi65...you are 100% correct.

When we learn a crazed person has detonated himself in a pizzeria, a wedding ceremony, or a subway train station to horrifically kill others ...we don't go looking to see which Amish town is missing one of its residents...that's for sure.
 calguy14
Msg: 256
Posted: 2/15/2015 7:12:28 PM
So some morrocan guy is trying to equate christianity and islam.bfd.
Which religion levied special taxes on the non muslims?How many countries dominated by muslins slaughter christians randomly to this day?

Jews were driven out of European cities many times in the past, exact reasons don't seem to be openly discussed, my bet is the general success due to their banking system.
 aj7125
Msg: 257
Posted: 2/15/2015 7:32:19 PM
I see the liberal drivel continues
 lyingcheat
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 8:24:31 PM

I see the xxxxxxx drivel continues

Fixed it for you. ^^^

The drivel being spewed is by those who keep pretending there was some kind of 'comparison' made, or 'equivalence' drawn between holy sacred christianity and evil nasty islam.

There wasn't. It was pointed out (correctly - and unarguably) that no ideology is immune to corruption by those who seek to justify a not-very-nice agenda.
It was further pointed out that (allegedly) no god thing condones violence, so it's incumbent on all believers to have some humility and avoid righteous all-inclusive condemnations - because it won't solve anything.

Obama was presumably trying to erect a giant 'no true scotsman' fallacy by separating the nutters (of any religion) from the religion itself.

Personally I think he was being too kind, because the division doesn't really exist.

Here's the full speech - http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/02/05/remarks-president-national-prayer-breakfast

bluemoon24_7
Msg: 259
Posted: 2/15/2015 8:35:30 PM
I think you're awesome lyingcheat. 57 pages of bullshyt and a perceived slight by those with cotton in their ears and can't read.

Again, the fanatics read whatever they want into a book...including the bible or a speech. And apparently so do folks on here.
 calguy14
Msg: 260
Posted: 2/15/2015 8:35:42 PM
21 Coptic christians executed on a beach near Tripoli. Where are the police? Youtube apparently, leader spoke good english.

Vid declared they were"south of Rome"

All roads lead to Rome.
@skoochie below
Yeah, the terrible torture they live to talk about.
They pull out a chair and ask them how they like their coffee compared to WWII.
Quit crying.
 aj7125
Msg: 261
Posted: 2/15/2015 8:41:10 PM
The drivel being spewed is by people pretending there was not some kind of 'comparison' made, or 'equivalence' drawn between christianity and radical Islamic terrorists.

^^^^^^^ Thought I would fix that for you
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 262
Posted: 2/15/2015 8:59:46 PM

The drivel being spewed is by people pretending there was not some kind of 'comparison' made, or 'equivalence' drawn between christianity and radical Islamic terrorists.

If you believe it was... a comparison... or equivalence... then you are one of those ideologically hide-bound fanatics Obama was talking about... the reference doesn't just apply to religion...
 cotter
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:15:53 PM
Message 289 ...
America kills it's victims in a more humane way!!!
Yeah ... they go in and "Shock & Awe" the hell out of country that had nothing to do with the two towers ... also no WMD's!

Yuppers, they littered that country with all kinds of DU all the while poisoning the innocents (and their own military as well) ... deformed babies, maimed and mutilated are everywhere.

America does it all ...

... all the while supporting a country that uses children playing in their front yards as target practice. I guess if we're going to support something like that, what would be the surprise that we'd go invade a sovereign nation and poison them as well?

What did the innocents of Iraq do to deserve that? Oh wait, I get it ... they're M-U-S-L-I-M. They deserve to die because they were born into a family that believes something other than the pure "X-tians" ...

The Saudis flew the jets into the buildings that killed a number of people from all parts of the world ... "X-tians" and people of all beliefs. So how do you all feel about the Saudis? From my viewpoint, we've been pretty snugly with them considering what they did to us.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:16:10 PM

But you haven't... you've only re-demonstrated that you have not read, or perhaps do not understand, the speech.
Which is surprising considering I posted a link to it and gave you an opportunity to educate yourself.

Can you quote the part of the speech where Obama says anything that even implies christianity is 'like' islam? Because that would be a comparison.
Or where he says modern christianity is 'like' an insane death cult? Because that would be a direct comparison of the type you allege is there.

Can you quote some part from the speech where Obama says christianity and islam are the same? Or where he says there's no difference between christianity and islam? Because these kinds of statements would be making an equivalence.

Back up your claims - it should be easy. I even posted a link to the full speech for you.

Actually, he talks about the corruptibility of the ideologies, and he just points out - perfectly correctly - that no ideology, including religious ones, is immune.

midnite_icecream
Msg: 265
Posted: 2/15/2015 9:52:33 PM
Meh, seems the OT was just a ruse to attract the Obama haters, which it succeeded in. Trying to offer an opinion about the speech to the disingenuous is a waste of time.

more fundamentally, the real problem is egoism,, the need to feel you & "your group" are right and everyone else is wrong

We know, we know. One look around the forums tells you that :D.

Plus, there was even a racist, Democrat, atheist who murdered three Muslim students in North Carolina this week.

Did he use a gun :/

Obama seeks to validate the abhorrent actions of Muslims.

Obama was raised a Muslim.

Throughout Obama’s adult life he attended a church who praised the murderous acts of Muslims and also of those who Dammed America.

Racist much.

As I've posted before ... anyone knows that incoming elected officials are not in a position to instantly do away with programs (or wars) that were created prior to their being elected.

Agreed.
As a casual observer..IMO..
Obviously, Hitler's retention of the Bible was to convenience his own ends. The Darwin books were of no more practical use so he ditched them. Putting his own spin on what he reads doesn't automatically make him a believer of either. He saw that the Bible could still serve his twisted ideology so held onto it. All in the pursuit of legitimizing his actions. One Christian said to me we (humans) place the crown on our own head. King (or Queen) of our own lives, thus turning away from God. Hitler dramatically personified this.
 robaustralia
Msg: 266
Posted: 2/16/2015 1:50:28 AM
So in summing up we can say that Islam produced al-Qaeda, Christianity produced the Crusades and atheism produced Stalin.

Which just proves that evil people do evil things.Sadly that is Human nature.

It is rather pointless debating which ideology is superior.

I rather like the Terminator movie when a young John Connor says "we ain't gonna make it"

And the Terminator replies "it is in your nature to destroy yourselves"

Gee I would really like to have the ability to time travel and fast forward a 1,000 years and see what happens to us Humans.But I would nearly bet "we ain't gonna make it"
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:04:16 AM
The whole damn thing is pointless. I don't care who did what or why in the past. The problem is here and now.

We currently have idiots doing horrendous acts that need to be dealt with. Why they do it is moot.

The whole world is so caught up in comparing, history, and religion that it's gone beyond stupid.

The bottom line is bad people doing bad things that need to be dealt with... it's really that simple.
 calguy14
Msg: 268
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:08:28 AM
^^^^
Unfortunately that is common sense which cannot be understood by self hating libs.

More attacks in Copenhagen, including the mandatory synagogue.....

@cotter

What do you expect when Hamas installs rocket launchers in housing complexes and playgrounds?

Madmen such as these are the reasons the Palestinians lost out in that war.They lost the propaganda battle and now they lose the technological battle.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 269
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:09:40 AM

Fruitcake posted: "God asks christians to kill non christians"

James 4:11-12
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

James 1:26
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Proverbs 12:16
The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.

Please show me anywhere in the New Testament Bible where Jesus engaged or codoned any act of physical violence against anothers??? Unlike Mohammad - he was a warrior that killed many innocent people.

What is wrong with the old testament, did god make mistakes with that version?

Where can one find gods reason for changing stuff up?

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.
 etourdi65
Msg: 270
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:17:12 AM
That you have to ask this question shows how little you know about Christians "What is wrong with the old testament, did god make mistakes with that version?"

How about your Atheist boy in N.C. ?
 lyingcheat
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:17:28 AM

LyingCheat - I think most of us read or heard the actual speech...I have read it a few times and each time I have more of a wtf was that? thought.

Obama said "And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ."
Basically telling people to get off their "high horse"?? (or not to get on one) anyway.....pretty offensive.

It's only 'offensive' if you have a problem with humility, and being confronted with accurate historical references.

And again....WHAT was the point of bringing up the 1000 year old crusades??? How is that helping in any way? Whose side is he on anyway? Kind of hard to tell.

He explicitly said what the point was, in the speech. It was to illustrate the fact that all ideologies (faith) can be manipulated. No one is immune.
I'm surprised you didn't notice that since you claim to have read it.

You, and others that share your opinion, overlook that to argue against what he actually said you'll have to show the inquisition did not happen and there were no crusades. But instead you all whine that he had no right to mention it because talking about that stuff is mean and bit like reciting enemy propaganda.
Because Jebus is sacred and holy or something and always nice.

Meanwhile, you overlook too that he also said -
As we speak, around the world, we see faith inspiring people to lift up one another -- to feed the hungry and care for the poor, and comfort the afflicted and make peace where there is strife. ....We see faith driving us to do right.

Obama also heaped praise on that witless oaf ex-NASCAR driver who gave a big speech about how everyone needs to get on their knees and accept the loving christian god thing else they're going to burn until the end of time for sure, whereas I'd have been tempted to spit on him and have him thrown out. But that's just me.

But anyway, after saying how nice 'faith' can be, like supposedly a force for good, Obama went on to say -
But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge -- or, worse, sometimes used as a weapon. From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it. We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.

People have interpreted this ^^^ as somehow 'offering support for terrorists'. I can't see it myself... it looks quite a lot like outright condemnation.
But then he goes on to lay it on a bit thicker -
We see sectarian war in Syria, the murder of Muslims and Christians in Nigeria, religious war in the Central African Republic, a rising tide of anti-Semitism and hate crimes in Europe, so often perpetrated in the name of religion.

Oh no, it looks like he was right! There's nasty stuff going on everywhere!
What do we do! What do we do!

Ahha! ...Obama anticipated that question -
So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities -- the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends?

So, what can the nice people with the nice peaceful faiths and loving ideologies do to stem this awful tide?
He goes on to suggest they should start by being tolerant - as opposed to filled with hate - and maybe they could try, remembering history n'all, to have some humility (and maybe a bit less arrogant righteousness), and recognise that it's the perversion of the ideology (faith) that's the problem, not necessarily the ideology (faith) itself.

I disagree myself, but moving on...

That last bit is the important bit - he 'proved' the truth of it with his references to nasty christianity all that long time ago. You would no doubt argue that christianity is good and nice and kind, but clearly (and factually) there've been times when it wasn't. Yet now (allegedly) it is?

What happened? It's christianity now, and it was christianity then? The point is that back then it was (supposedly) just a few crazy people who had some wrong ideas and were bit sick in the head that were doing all that slaughtering, torturing, burning, crusading and inquisiting. The religion is still the same one, it was a few nutters that were the problem.
Likewise, it's entirely obvious to everyone who hasn't lost their mind that the vast majority of people who think Mohammed is special are not murderous cut-throats with an urge to take over the world.

So? Best focus on the nutters and skip the wholesale condemnation of the entire faith because it's not really practical to de-convert all the Muslims, kill all the Muslims, or try to corral all the Muslims in some distant third world location.
Unless you like the idea of being at war, and a target, for like... a really really really long time?

But all his various suggestions led to was an explosion of arrogant righteousness and questions about his loyalty. It'd be funny if it wasn't so... mmm.... tragically illustrative of just how much religion stunts critical thinking and reasoning ability.

As for your other query....
Please show me anywhere in the New Testament Bible where Jesus engaged or codoned any act of physical violence against anothers???

Sure, I'll have a go. But first it would be useful if you clarified a couple of things.

Why limit it to the 'New Testament'? Don't you believe in God?
Only the New Testament is true? Is the Old Testament all lies? Some of it is lies? Which parts are lies? How do you know which parts, if any, are lies?

Was God Jesus's dad or not?
Was Jesus a God?
Was Jesusthe God? Not a god at all, and no relation to that Holy Sacred Biblical God?

How did Jesus get to be god, if he is one, without the other guy being involved? If the big God isn't true and has no relation to christianity, who was it that supposedly did all that 'raising from the dead stuff' and 'took Jesus up to heaven'?

Who's going to be running the armageddon thing? Big God? Or Jesus? You know, the day of the big reckoning when all the graves get emptied and all the unbelievers are dispatched off to burn forever in ferociously unquenchable lake of fire.

Thanks.
If you could just clear up these few minor questions I'll get right on to your query.

HFX_RGB
Msg: 272
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:27:06 AM

That you have to ask this question shows how little you know about Christians "What is wrong with the old testament, did god make mistakes with that version?"

Then clear it up, why is there a new version, what happened to the old one, which is still only a version considering the number of times it had to be translated.

How about that, a crazy guy with a history of craziness, gets a gun and kills three people over a parking dispute who also happens to be an atheist.

Are you able to draw a coloration between his actions and his beliefs?

If not, why did you bring it up?

http://www.atheistpapers.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/militant-atheist.jpg
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 273
Posted: 2/16/2015 7:19:44 AM

But all his various suggestions led to was an explosion of arrogant righteousness and questions about his loyalty. It'd be funny if it wasn't so... mmm.... tragically illustrative of just how much religion stunts critical thinking and reasoning ability.

But... I'm not so sure that is exactly what it is... the cause of all this gnashing of teeth...

I really think it has far more to do with... Obama's racial heritage... You see... they aren't arriving at these conclusions... that Obama is bad mouthing their religion... of their own minds... Most wouldn't even have noticed half of what he said of their own accord... they are simply accepting... lock, stock and barrel... what political pundits are telling them he meant...

These pundits aren't theologians... ministers... or other religious authority... so why else would these people be so readily... willingly... and unquestionably accepting of the pundits' pronouncements...? The most reasonable explanation is... the pundits are appealing to a deep-seated prejudice... unconnected to religious faith... in these people...

What about him...? Are you stating a connection... or just trolling for a reaction...?
 thompson1919
Msg: 274
Posted: 2/16/2015 7:42:12 AM
Grow up, there is no god. If there is he is nothing like man has described him. Christians have done some very bad stuff just like every other religion around. My family were jews migrating to england due to a shortage of food. They held my entire family in the dirt of the shores and wouldn't let them enter until they claimed jesus as their lord and savior. Any who refused got a sword thrust into their chest. So Christians would literally convert via the end of a sword soaked in the blood of your relatives. Happened all the time. It's easy for us to look at the barbaric actions being taken today and view it as it is, barbaric. It really has nothing to do with religion, yet religion is the catalyst that is helping the process we see today.
 aj7125
Msg: 275
Posted: 2/16/2015 9:44:24 AM
"Historians will rank him in the upper tier of great presidents"

^^^^^^ If there is just him and Jimmy Carter, then yes, he will be above Carter

"Grow up, there is no god"

^^^^^You should probably tell the majority of the world that there is no God. You will lose on that statement.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS