Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 276
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISISPage 12 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

Posted by _MungoJoe_:
"they are simply accepting... lock, stock and barrel"

How hilarious that a gungrabber Liberal would embrace a classic firearm saying!

etourdi65
Msg: 277
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS
Posted: 2/16/2015 9:58:55 AM

What about him...? Are you stating a connection... or just trolling for a reaction
"And lest we get on our high horse " we have some atheists on this site who act as if Atheist's are morally superior just a little reminder that some Atheists commit atrocious acts also.

we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it.
so he says that Muslims who commit terrorist acts are betraying their faith, why didn't he say the same about Christians?
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 278
Posted: 2/16/2015 10:55:32 AM

"And lest we get on our high horse " we have some atheists on this site who act as if Atheist's are morally superior just a little reminder that some Atheists commit atrocious acts also.

How many of the atheist committed those acts in the name of atheism?

....so he says that Muslims who commit terrorist acts are betraying their faith, why didn't he say the same about Christians?

It is almost like you are so wound up hating the black guy in the Whitehouse that you have failed to understand you just asked a question that sparked this entire debate.

Ergo the title of the thread: "Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS"
 cotter
Msg: 279
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2015 1:07:14 PM
Message 297 ...
... atheism produced Stalin.
I doubt it ... but you go ahead and keep shouting it. I wonder what the echo will be? (Answer: Laughter.)

Which just proves that evil people do evil things.
Ohhhh ... those horrible evil "Atheists" ... what will they do to mankind next?

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Stalin_was_an_atheist
Argument
Apologists often point to people like Stalin, trying to make a point about atheism:
***Stalin was an evil murderer.
***Stalin was an atheist.
***Thus, Stalin's atheism has something to do with him being an evil murderer.
***Therefore, atheism causes evil.

The point of the argument is to try establish that it's wrong to be an atheist, because if too many people are atheists, bad things will happen.
For the believers, "non-believers" are just evil and we are at the root of all the evil in the world ... right?

When was the last time "Atheists" invaded (or even encouraged the invasion of) a sovereign nation?

President Obama is not a Muslim but he is knowledgeable about it ... because of / based on his familial background. I consider that as an advantage as opposed to the idiot in the previous administration who openly encouraged hate and animosity towards Muslims. Our troops were encouraged to call them demeaning names and treat them in a demeaning way. Then they wondered why the Muslim troops they were supposed to be training eventually turned on them. How ignorant can our troops get?

Does anyone remember that episode (under the G"W" watch) in Afghanistan when Bibles sent to a soldier in Afghanistan for local distribution were confiscated and destroyed? The "X-tians" in here went ballistic when it was revealed in 2009 ... insinuating that it was (Muslim) President Obama who ordered the bibles be confiscated and destroyed ... but in truth, G"W" was the president when it happened. The Bibles were confiscated and destroyed under the Bush administration.

Also, there was no denying that the intent was to go out and proselytize as they had a film of the soldiers planning to distribute them ... not to mention, they were printed in the country's main Pashto and Dari languages. The story was merely brought to light in May 2009 but the incident was filmed in 2008.

It is just another example of how the "X-tians" go out of their way to distort anything President Obama does ... even to the extent of blaming him for something that clearly happened on the "Dumbya" watch.

Trying to convert Muslims to another faith is a crime in Afghanistan, but apparently some of our good "X-tian" soldiers just don't always get that. Some of the over-zealous will take every chance (even put their fellow soldiers in harms way) to spread the "good" word.

"Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war
With the cross of Jesus going on before
Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng
Blend with ours your voices in a triumph song

Christ, the Royal Master, leads against the foe
Forward into battle, see His banners go, oh

Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war
With the cross of Jesus going on before
Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane
But the cross of Jesus constant will remain.
"

Is this what our military has become? I guess that's what happens when they push "church" on our soldiers in boot camp. Or are they purposely recruiting from the ranks of the proselytizers? I don't recall any of that being an issue when I was in the USO ... and none of my friends stationed in Vietnam mentioned this kind of behavior going on.

I had a feeling this "evangelical" trend was a relatively new development and then I found numerous articles that discuss this phenomena. I know my daughter was subjected heavily to mandatory "church" while in boot camp with the Air Force. (Mandatory in the sense that if she did not attend, she would be chastised by her fellow trainees.) I found a mention of some sort of "Reagan rule on classifying chaplains" and then found something that apparently also references the incident in Afghanistan I mentioned above ...

http://genealogyreligion.net/tag/chaplain-gary-hensley
Onward Christian Soldiers

(Excerpts)

Over the past few years I have become vaguely aware of a strong religious current running through the US military that more or less parallels the rise of the religious right in American politics. At first blush, this seems unremarkable. Whether as handmaidens of power or agents of empire, military organizations have throughout history mostly been conservative institutions and aligned, in spirit if not soul, with institutional religions. Yet despite this alignment, beneath the surface there is often a tempering profanity that borders on irreligious. The pragmatism and fatalism often engendered by war can have this effect, one which Paul Fussell brilliantly illuminated in The Great War and Modern Memory, Wartime, and elsewhere.

In at least some quarters of the American military, however, this tempering appears to have been lost and replaced with evangelical zeal. My first whiff of this came last year, when I posted on the Army’s euphemistic “spiritual fitness test.” What was a whiff became a stink after reading Jeff Sharlet’s “Jesus Killed Mohammad: The Crusade for a Christian Military,” an article which I somehow missed when it appeared in 2009. What Sharlet describes is a fairly recent development, one which was just getting under way when I was commissioned as an Army officer in 1987. While I sensed that something was changing over the next few years, I was unaware of the official impetus behind it:

The turning point occurred in the waning days of the Reagan Administration, when regulatory revisions helped create the fundamentalist stronghold in today’s military.
----------
Starting in 1987, however, Protestant denominations were lumped together simply as “Protestant”; moreover, the Pentagon began accrediting hundreds of evangelical and Pentecostal “endorsing agencies,” allowing graduates of fundamentalist Bible colleges—which often train clergy to view those from other faiths as enemies of Christ —to fill up nearly the entire allotment for Protestant chaplains. Today, more than two thirds of the military’s 2,900 active-duty chaplains are affiliated with evangelical or Pentecostal denominations. “In my experience,” Morton says, “eighty percent of the Protestant chaplaincy self-identifies as conservative and/or evangelical.”

The most zealous among the new generation of fundamentalist chaplains didn’t join to serve the military; they came to save its soul.

One such zealot, Sharlet recounts, is Lieutenant Colonel Gary Hensley, who was for a time the chief Army chaplain for all of Afghanistan. Apparently not satisfied with saving the soul of the American military, Hensley thought it would be a good idea to have bibles printed in local languages and distributed to Afghans. In this video, the bibles are on display and Hensley is heard saying: “The special forces guys – they hunt men basically. We do the same things as Christians, we hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down.”

Hensley’s superiors wisely thought this was a bad idea and ordered the bibles destroyed. They were burned. As sometimes occurs in firefighting, one incendiary was used to prevent another. The Marines, seemingly always a step ahead of the Army, had a better idea: have troops teach Afghans the “true” nature of Islam. No word on how that is going.
What do our "X-tian"-indoctrinated troops intend to teach the Afghans about their own religion?

Though there were calls for Hensley’s court-martial after these incidents, they were ignored.
Great!
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 280
Posted: 2/16/2015 1:21:11 PM

just a little reminder that some Atheists commit atrocious acts also.

Mmmm hmmm... Thank you Captain Obvious... And you figured this out all on your own...? or... was Obama's speech your first clue...?

why didn't he say the same about Christians?

And whom should he have said it about... because it was pretty clear that he was saying that about... the Crusades... the Inquisitions... and the resistance against Civil Rights...

Is there someone else you think he should have included...? Today's evangelicals maybe...?

Where is it... exactly... that you think he failed to place those events as... betrayals of faith...? Beyond your own imagination... and failure to comprehend... I mean...
 etourdi65
Msg: 281
Posted: 2/17/2015 4:28:47 AM

From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it.
He singled out Islaam to state that they betrayed their faith when they committed terrorist acts, can you find anywhere in his speech where he said that Christians betrayed their faith during the crusades, the inquisition etc..?

And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ.In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ.
By not saying that Christians betrayed their faith when committing those acts it is implied that they were acting within their faith and that their beliefs are flawed.

Islaam is above reproach because the bad actors acted out of their Faith...
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 282
Posted: 2/17/2015 4:46:07 AM
"...In today's new episode of Crazed and Wild-Eyed Murderous Extremists we will hear about twenty-one innocent men marched to the sea who were then beheaded. Johnny, tell the studio audience who is responsible..."
 lyingcheat
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2015 5:10:57 AM

From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it.

He singled out Islaam to state that they betrayed their faith when they committed terrorist acts, can you find anywhere in his speech where he said that Christians betrayed their faith during the crusades, the inquisition etc..?

And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ.In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ.

By not saying that Christians betrayed their faith when committing those acts it is implied that they were acting within their faith and that their beliefs are flawed.

That sound you hear folks is the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped.

"...In today's new episode of Crazed and Wild-Eyed Murderous Extremists we will hear about twenty-one innocent men marched to the sea who were then beheaded. Johnny, tell the studio audience who is responsible..."

Not so fast Johnny... let Barack take this one -
...ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism

That's riiiiiight Barack! But you'll get no credit and win no prizes! Because once our crack right-wing adjudication team gets through with your answer it'll sound like you said something else!
 aj7125
Msg: 284
Posted: 2/17/2015 7:13:31 AM
Dem Congresswoman Doesn’t Go PC When Asked Why Obama Admin. Refuses to Say the Words ‘Islamic Extremism’

Jan. 27, 2015 9:44pm Jason Howerton

The Obama administration’s refusal to acknowledge radical Islam is a “real problem” for the country, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) told Greta Van Susteren on Tuesday night.

When she was asked why the White House will not say “Islamic extremism,” Gabbard, an Iraq War veteran, replied:

“This is not just about words. It’s not about semantics. It’s really about having a real, true understanding of who our enemy is and how important that is, that we have to understand what their motivation is and what their ideology is — the radical Islamic ideology that is fueling them.”

Gabbard noted that Secretary of State John Kerry recently claimed that Islamic State and Al Qaeda terrorists were engaging in “criminal conduct rooted in alienation, poverty, thrill-seeking and other factors,” which she said is just wrong.

“If that’s really the cause, then the solution would be just to give them a trophy, give them a hug, give them a good-paying job, $10,000, and a skateboard so they can go and get their thrills and say, ‘OK, great, they are going to be happy and they won’t be fighting anymore.’ That’s not the case,” the congresswoman said.

“So, we’ve got to look at what their ideology is and how that’s fueling these tragic attacks that keep on occurring,” she added.

Gabbard acknowledged that her strong views on radical Islam stem from her military service as she’s seen the terrorist culture up close in Iraq. She also accused the Obama administration of failing to truly recognize the enemy the U.S. is fighting by ignoring the radical Islamic ideology.

“It’s a real problem because of a very simple reason, actually,” Gabbard said. “And that is something that I learned that is military 101, but something that’s easy for everyone to understand, and that is if you are at war, which we are, you have to know who your enemy is to defeat them.
________________________________________________________________________________

^^^^^^^^^ Nailed it, and from a Democrat. And yesterday when the 21 Christian Egyptians were beheaded, the WH statement refused to call them Christians. But hey, the President was golfing, no time to proof read any statement. He put out a statement, what else do we want? Geeeeeeze, Remind anyone when James Foley was beheaded?
 calguy14
Msg: 285
Posted: 2/17/2015 7:18:16 AM
Egypt launched an airstrike against a ISIL stronghold in Libya in retaliation for the murders.Likely a cue from the U.S.....
 etourdi65
Msg: 286
Posted: 2/17/2015 7:46:08 AM

That sound you hear folks is the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped.
yep your whole response falls in that category...
Simple question did he single out Islam and say this " their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it."?

What did he say about Christianity after his statement about the Crusades, Inquisition and Jim Crow laws, did he say that Christians who participated in them were betraying their faith?
 flyguy51
Msg: 287
Posted: 2/17/2015 8:49:57 AM
While the president speaks with perhaps too much nuance and excessive efforts to keep different faiths in perspective, the US is leading airstrikes all over the Middle East and blowing all kinds of sh!t up. Perhaps he is attempting to "speak softly while [wielding] a big stick"?

I'm not sure if he is trying to pacify two opposing sides at once, but he needs to speak in more plain terms on these matters. Not everyone is, ya know, "a reader."
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 288
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:03:03 AM

Posted by FlyGuy51:
"...While the president speaks with perhaps too much nuance and excessive efforts to keep different faiths in perspective, the US is leading airstrikes all over the Middle East and blowing all kinds of sh!t up. Perhaps he is attempting to 'speak softly while [wielding] a big stick'?

I'm not sure if he is trying to pacify two opposing sides at once, but he needs to speak in more plain terms on these matters. Not everyone is, ya know, 'a reader.'..."

Fair enough and reasonable assessment.
The issue he faces is many Americans (of all political stripes, ages, races, gender, and social stature) do not see him taking a proper stand. The security problem this creates is that it is perceived as wishy-washy and weak by jihadists. This emboldens them to attack. He needs to get out in front of it so radicalized Islamists think, "Wait a second, this guy is real. I don't want to risk poking my head outdoors for even a moment for fear of a missile finding me."
 flyguy51
Msg: 289
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:13:02 AM
^^^ I agree on taking a clear stand. I disagree on clarity having a deterrent effect with this threat. This is not a threat that can be deterred; it is a threat that must be eliminated. That is the problem with dogma that glorifies death for a cause-- religion often glorifies death and the hereafter over life here on earth, which is the only life we know for sure actually exists...
 gtomustang
Msg: 290
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:20:29 AM
"it is perceived as wishy-washy and weak by jihadists. This emboldens them to attack. He needs to get out in front of it so radicalized Islamists think, "Wait a second, this guy is real. I don't want to risk poking my head outdoors for even a moment for fear of a missile finding me." "

>>>that is a nice notion. I think some people will argue that George W (Bring it On) Bush presented a strong image. And yet terrorists still tried setting their underwear on fire. True believers don't tend to test the air with a wet finger and go, "gosh, this American president on the other side of the ocean might send me to my virgins faster if I actually attack my local dictator".

ISIS may put their videos into English so they can talk to us, but are they actually listening to us? Maybe in 1982 when Reagan retreated the Marines from Lebanon Airport after the death of 241, terrorist groups around the world said, "gee, look, America is a paper tiger! Let's start attacking". Or maybe terrorists said, "well, we've got all these plans in place, why stop now?" i think it was George Will who had a column this week saying, "you know, things aren't as bad as they were in the 1980's when the Red Brigade terrorist groups were acting weekly in Europe".
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 291
Posted: 2/17/2015 2:57:04 PM

can you find anywhere in his speech where he said that Christians betrayed their faith during the crusades, the inquisition etc..?

Yep... Right here... I've added some emphasis to help you with your reading comprehension issues...

"So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities -- the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends?

Humanity has been grappling with these questions (What questions?) throughout human history. And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds (Which part of the "questions" is this addressing? The "good faith" part or the "bad faith" part?) in the name of Christ."

Now... I realize that isn't as simple as "See D!ck. See Jane. See D!ck run. See Jane run."... and that level of simplicity is essential for you to understand it... I did add the "emphasis" to help you out... hopefully it was enough... but somehow... I have doubts...

We'll probably see you coming back to complain "he didn't say x"... even though he did... because he didn't say it at a First Grade level...

What did he say about Christianity after his statement about the Crusades, Inquisition and Jim Crow laws, did he say that Christians who participated in them were betraying their faith?

Yes... here are the exact words... With more of that "dumb it down for the idiots" emphasis...

"So this (What is "this"?) is not unique to one group or one religion. There is a tendency in us (Who is "us"), a sinful tendency that can pervert and distort our faith (What faith does "our faith" refer to?)."
 calguy14
Msg: 292
Posted: 2/17/2015 4:31:34 PM
Not specifically separating the two.He blended them together."all of our faiths".
He then goes on to equate what happened eons ago with present day Jihaadists in 2015.
 flyguy51
Msg: 293
Posted: 2/17/2015 5:06:35 PM

He then goes on to equate what happened eons ago with present day Jihaadists in 2015.

Although the three Abrahamic religions allegedly all have the same source of inspiration, they are on very different gentility schedules...
 tgif111
Msg: 294
Posted: 2/17/2015 5:11:57 PM

thank you Bob Barker!
the White House has the answer for you and our dimwitted studio audience also known as the American Public. it was simply ARMED INSURGENTS! you know, just like Jesse and Frank James, Bonnie and Clyde, the guy from Fort Hood and the kids from the Boston Marathon. just plain old misguided folks that we can't judge or put a nasty name like Islamic on. it's nothing religious of course.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 295
Posted: 2/17/2015 6:21:01 PM
This is the Ted teapuppet Cruzmissle thread.
 tgif111
Msg: 296
Posted: 2/17/2015 8:28:15 PM
if Barack Obama aka the golfer in chief were HALF the man Ted Cruz is then he'd be twice the man he is now.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:41:51 PM

Simple question did he single out Islam and say this " their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it."?

You think you've found a linguistic flaw? A grammatical error that betrays hidden meaning? You actually think that?

You are really letting yourself down.

It's become obvious that context has no significance for you. Which must make reading anything longer than a few sentences seem like an epic mystery? Even pamphlets become intriguing thrillers as you progress through them hey? Wondering how they'll end...

Somehow I doubt the insertion of your required magic words into the speech or a clumsy reiteration of the special calming phrase after every mention of christianity would de-confuse you.

My condolences.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

thank you Bob Barker!
the White House has the answer for you and our dimwitted studio audience also known as the American Public. it was simply ARMED INSURGENTS! you know, just like Jesse and Frank James, Bonnie and Clyde, the guy from Fort Hood and the kids from the Boston Marathon. just plain old misguided folks that we can't judge or put a nasty name like Islamic on. it's nothing religious of course.

It's amazing. When the first poster tried this routine (which kind of revealed he hadn't even bothered reading, or didn't understand, the speech) I pointed out that Obama had already pre-identified who the "Crazed and Wild-Eyed Murderous Extremists" were -

...ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism...

Yet you robotically repeat his gaffe (revealing that you too, haven't bothered reading, or didn't understand, the speech - and further revealing that haven't read, or don't understand, the posts in this thread).

What's especially funny though is that you've revealed, despite your pretense to know what needs to be done in the Middle East, that you don't know what 'ISIL' stands for.

matthew83co
Msg: 298
Posted: 2/17/2015 11:13:35 PM

if Barack Obama aka the golfer in chief were HALF the man Ted Cruz is then he'd be twice the man he is now.

If either Barack Obama or Ted Cruz were half the men others need to claim they are, they would be balls deep in ISIS corpses like King Abdullah of Jordan.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 299
Posted: 2/18/2015 4:57:29 AM

If either Barack Obama or Ted Cruz were half the men others need to claim they are, they would be balls deep in ISIS corpses like King Abdullah of Jordan.

Yes because being the king of a country that allows honor killings really makes you someone to look up to.
 etourdi65
Msg: 300
Posted: 2/18/2015 5:16:52 AM

It's become obvious that context has no significance for you. Which must make reading anything longer than a few sentences seem like an epic mystery? Even pamphlets become intriguing thrillers as you progress through them hey? Wondering how they'll end...
Did he single out Islam? did he make the statement? answer to both is yes..

no grammatical error, no flaw. he made a choice to single out Islam...nothing in the rest of the speech changes that, you cant get away from the fact that he specifically addressed Islam extremists as betraying their faith...

can you find an instance in his speech where he specifically names another religion and states that bad actors in that religion are betraying their faith?

Easy way to end the argument site quote in his speech where he stated SPECIFICALLY that Christians who acted in the Crusades, Inquisition etc. .. .betrayed their faith.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS