Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lyingcheat
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISISPage 3 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

Without Christianity, there would be no me or you, and that I am sure you know but will never say on here.

What?

It might be true to say that without christians there would be no christianity.
But it's not true to say that without christianity specific individuals would not exist.
They might still exist as the non-christian version. And still refer to themselves as 'me' and other people as 'you' without noticing the absence of 'christianity'.

This ^^^ isn't a theoretical hypothesis. It's the reality for much of the worlds population. There are lots of me's and you's all getting along fine "Without Christianity".

Nor does the non-existence of christianity preclude the possibility of the US.
The US would still exist, full of me's and you's, whether or not anyone invented 'christianity'.

Is this ^^^ not obvious to you?

This is the problem,people think we would have been able to build these WESTERN societies without Christianity.So why the f#$% do we have this and not the non Christian lands?Race?Please tell us.The rest of the world can thank us for dragging them along.

What do you mean by "societies"? If you are referring to the development, the advances, and the wealth well... science built that. In a remarkably short period too, but they had to shove religion aside to do it.
If you are referring to the laws, the civilisation, the 'culture'... then sure, long standing superstitions and myths made an early contribution - particularly the ideas of the Greeks, and even the Romans. But secular philosophy extended the concepts and, again in a fairly short period, proceeded to shove narrow religious concepts aside and make genuine progress toward equality for all - an idea which is still widely resisted by many religions. Funnily enough.

Eric_Summit
Msg: 52
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS
Posted: 2/6/2015 8:39:35 PM
Those who are charmed by the allure of the ancient Muslim world can invite those radicalized Islamists to brunch.
They are an unpredictable lot and it is impossible to know where the meeting will be heading after coffee is served.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/6/2015 8:56:46 PM
Eric, do you actually know any Muslims? Work with anyone that is of the Muslim faith? Friends with anyone of the a Muslim faith? I have a few Muslim friends and work with a few. One I know is a young Lebanese Canadian lawyer who calls me his Office Mom. How cool is that. I'm sure there are some cool Muslim cyclists that enjoy the outdoors and many of the things you do. Not a damn thing wrong with the majority of Muslims. In fact, I personally know more fvcked up Christians than any other religion.

Terrorists are a different story. I, for one, always thought you would intelligent enough to know this. so, when you're trying to be trite or "cute", maybe think before you engage your typing fingers.
 calguy14
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/6/2015 9:04:50 PM
The Japanese copied that which the white Christians showed them.Same as the Chinese.Buddhists do nothing but space out.
@lyingcheat
Science was available to many.The Industrial Revolution began with the British and the Germans jumped right in didn't they?What did these countries have in common besides white skin?Christianity.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/6/2015 9:35:13 PM
Q: Eric, do you actually know any Muslims?
A: Yes, from work and school. There was a Muslim couple in my wedding party.

Q: Friends with anyone of the a Muslim faith?
A: Yes, in the past. Including one longtime friend who was yanked from his car for taking photographs of the Holland Tunnel entrance with a zoom camera lens literally a foot long, in 2002. I likely gave him more of a serious grilling than the Port Authority P.D. who (justifiably) turned his car inside out and deleted all his digital images before handing his camera back. He got out of his vehicle in a traffic jam on the Route 1&9 approach and started snapping pics. He then got all mouthy with an older woman who said he shouldn't be taking pics. He is lucky he wasn't arrested.

Q:Work with anyone that is of the Muslim faith?
A: Several. I will never forget having lunch on October 8, 2001 with a very Westernized Muslim coworker who was born and raised here. Our office was on Wall Street and we were still in temporary offices. He turned to me, in all seriousness, and said the attack was the only avenue left to express their dissatisfaction. I responded that I would pretend never to have heard his outrageous words leave his mouth and would attribute it to temporary insanity.

The one thing that I have noticed is that Muslims are hesitant to speak out against radicalized Islamist terror. If people of my flavor of Christianity were running around, declaring "WASP spring" and committing countless atrocities in the name of the religion...I would speak against it. The reality is "WASP spring" is not happening, and we all know it. Muslims, in general, must do a WAY better job of living in harmony with those around them.
 tgif111
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/7/2015 5:08:00 AM
the mighty Eric Summit said:

Muslims, in general, must do a WAY better job of living in harmony with those around them

a wise man said:

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing

the guy in the White House needs to do more and he needs to have a strategy.

imagine FDR responding to the attack on Pearl Harbor with "the only thing you have to fear is your own Christian guilt."

during the German blitzkrieg think of WINSTON CHURCHILL telling the British people:

let's not defend our island, the cost may be too high, we will not fight on the beaches, we will not fight on the landing grounds, we will not fight in the fields and in the streets, we will not fight in the hills; we brought this upon our selves because of Christianity so let us just surrender.

what if the great REVEREND DOCTOR MARTIN LUTHER KING had said this:

“I've seen the promised land and it is Islamic. I will get there with you because I fear for my life and will bow down to the jihadists. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of Allah and not Jesus Christ.”
 another_nail_in_my_heart
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/7/2015 5:13:25 AM
I heard the pancakes were delicious
 flyguy51
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/7/2015 5:31:24 AM

The one thing that I have noticed is that Muslims are hesitant to speak out against radicalized Islamist terror.

I have also noticed this trend to a disappointing extent. While many Muslims do condemn terrorist atrocities outright, a disappointing number attempt to make excuses or minimize it, shift blame, say "you do it, too"... some have said, much like the Pope, "If you offend someone's beliefs, expect to suffer the consequences." Some will say, "They aren't really Muslims."-- a "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Islam: claimed as the greatest standard of human bahavior and comportment ever bestowed upon mankind by God, but... the reality is not so great.
 tgif111
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/7/2015 6:17:09 AM
Does Islam Say: "Kill The Infidels"?

I asked this question on an Islamic website and the answer it gave me took 5 minutes to read and the question was not clearly answered. it also tutored Muslims on how to answer this question to inquiring infidels. the red flag was "before you answer this question ask them this" which to me is a sign of bullshit.

I worked in a steel mill for 30 years. we didn't tolerate bullshit.

if I remember my Bible passages the most violent Jesus got was with the money lenders in the Temple where he over turned tables and blasted them verbally.
 Walts
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/7/2015 6:37:27 AM

if I remember my Bible passages the most violent Jesus got was with the money lenders in the Temple where he over turned tables and blasted them verbally.

If you want to understand the past/history, I would suggest reading or quoting something other than the bible. Just a suggestion though.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:00:14 AM

The one thing that I have noticed is that Muslims are hesitant to speak out against radicalized Islamist terror...

Much like how so-called christians will not speak out against radicalized right-wing christian extremists.

So we can only assume anyone here who has no spoken out against
KKK
Westbro Baptish Church,
American Center for Law and Justice
America's Promise Ministries
Aryan Nations
Christian Association of PrimeTimers
Christian Coalition
Stormfront White Nationists
White Aryan Resistance
etc....

...support them and what they stand for.

You never see a so-called christian in here and one of those groups attempts to change the USA constitution, so we have to assume that all those people who do not speak out only do so because they support those groups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to understand the past/history, I would suggest reading or quoting something other than the bible. Just a suggestion though.

Cafeterias christians do not read the bible, they just cheery pick the derp that suits them best.
 tgif111
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:20:14 AM
I can't understand why anyone would say this:

If you want to understand the past/history, I would suggest reading or quoting something other than the bible. Just a suggestion though

walts I suggest you keep your suggestions about my choice of relevant references to yourself.

just a suggestion though.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/7/2015 8:35:38 AM
I can understand why Walts said the above line...because it's true.

And I agree. Muslims around the world should be standing up and stating loud and clear that they don't support the terrorists. I understand that some are in fear of their lives, I get that...but the majority should stand tall and disavow what the terrorists are doing.
 etourdi65
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/7/2015 9:03:43 AM

This is just proving the President's point made in that speech and taken out of context by the right
seriously you are whining about people not taking things in context...that's too much...
 tgif111
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/7/2015 9:10:49 AM
my post was :

if I remember my Bible passages the most violent Jesus got was with the money lenders in the Temple where he over turned tables and blasted them verbally

walts post was:

If you want to understand the past/history, I would suggest reading or quoting something other than the bible. Just a suggestion though

where did I go wrong? what is it that I misstated? is this character walts saying that Jesus did NOT upset tables or get mad at the money handlers?Jesus was a historical figure. books other than the Bible support my statement.
did Jesus do something more than getting upset at the money handlers?
did Jesus fight someone in combat?
did Jesus kill someone?

Blue Moon please explain.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/7/2015 10:53:52 AM

where did I go wrong? what is it that I misstated? is this character walts saying that Jesus did NOT upset tables or get mad at the money handlers?

You left out all the parts where he kills people.

Jesus was a historical figure. books other than the Bible support my statement.

Nope, there are no historical texts that mention jesus.

did Jesus do something more than getting upset at the money handlers? did Jesus fight someone in combat? did Jesus kill someone?

For starters jesus was a charter in a book and it is well understood that the character named jesus, also plays the role of god in the same book/s, and as per the text in the book/s is actually a complete ***hole who goes around killing everyone and everything.
 high-ground
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2015 11:17:44 AM

You and your people, Republicans

So scoot-boot, you go around making assumptions that there are no liberal Christians, and all Republicans are Christians. You always make assumptions and post them. Then again everything you post is just to stir the pot. There are many making respectful post's here without slurs. Do you think you can make your points without your unrefined comments !

And before you go making another assumption, I'm not religious nor Republican.
 high-ground
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2015 11:29:26 AM

For starters jesus was a charter in a book and it is well understood that the character named jesus, also plays the role of god in the same book/s, and as per the text in the book/s is actually a complete ***hole who goes around killing everyone and everything.

HFX, just to be unpartial please express your opinion of Mohammed, and the writings within the Koran?
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/7/2015 11:42:50 AM

There are many making respectful post's here without slurs. Do you think you can make your points without your unrefined comments !

There are also others than are not, but for some reason you have either failed or intentionally avoided them.

And before you go making another assumption, I'm not religious nor Republican.

That's right, never make an assumption, because for all you know the person could be just making it up, much like how many present their age on their profiles.

As it shows just how desperate they are and the lengths they will go to deceive people.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HFX, just to be unpartial please express your opinion of Mohammed, and the writings within the Koran?

Did you mean to say impartial ?

If you did, coming from the person that is clearly not impartial I find that question rather ironic.

But either way, also a character in a book.
 daynadaze
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2015 1:26:23 PM
Yes, please quote and cite those historical documents where a god or a son of god is an actual real being or human being, or has written anything in it's/their own hand. I have yet to have read one, and I'm sure this would be very interesting to many here, from both sides. The only thing I've ever read in this context was a man who wrote as thought Biblical people were real but with no actual proof, just that's where his belief started from so for him they must have been. There is a lot of written history from this era, so finding real history shouldn't be hard.
 midnite_icecream
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:23:16 PM

President Barack Hussein Obama is nominally the chief executive of the United States of America.
The Crusades happened about 800 years ago and clearly has nothing to do with our country or our citizens.

Additionally he is playing into radicalized Islamic terrorist hands by embracing their love of the word Crusades.
His main job is to protect Americans and American interests...not incite further senseless terrorist violence.

The principle is the same is it not. Where's your evidence he's "embracing their" it. More bias. Yet, ironically, you want him to embrace the use of the word "Islamic" to reference them, thereby playing into their hands.
I'm curious if your referring to Obama by his full name, middle name included, is intended as some kind of admonishment of him.

so far no one can justify his statement. won't just ONE liberal come out and say "yeah he was stretching it there". but no, you'll defend this guy no matter what. THAT is the problem.

Stretching what where. You focused on the petty stuff of the poster you addressed but forgot about quoting where he said "And no, it isn't. It's an accurate recollection of some of the real abuses committed in the name of Christianity on the past. " Because it doesn't suit your POV. The comparison Obama made is justified.

he refuses to call them what they are.

Why unnecessarily legitimize their "cause" ie madness, by prefacing "terrorists" with "Islamic". Speaking of diversionary tactic, you attempt to "out" another poster as a man, which has zero to do with the thread topic. As Obama suggested here..

President Barack Obama decried groups like ISIS that commit violence in the name of religion and warned that such "distortions" are not unique to any one group of people.

You surely know it's not an attack on Christianity. It's not rocket science to want to avoid a backlash against peaceful Muslims..Muslims are American citizens too (to Eric) and deserve the same protection don't they?

The one thing that I have noticed is that Muslims are hesitant to speak out against radicalized Islamist terror.

I agree here. I think there's a mix of fear (at least among the general community) and mistrust, and keeping support, anger and resentment at the West to themselves so as not have to deal with reprisals. Less inclined to think leaders should be afraid to speak out. There is one, Jamal Rifi, an outspoken leader of his community whom I admire. He maintained his composure, stance and levity, in spite of threats to his kids. A True Blue Aussie.

where did I go wrong? what is it that I misstated? is this character walts saying that Jesus did NOT upset tables or get mad at the money handlers?Jesus was a historical figure. books other than the Bible support my statement.
did Jesus do something more than getting upset at the money handlers?
did Jesus fight someone in combat?
did Jesus kill someone?

I thought you understood the wider implications of both religion after you asked the question on the Islamic website. Not sure why you couldn't see the comparison to the abuses in Christianity's past. Atrocities committed in the name of both of these faiths don't have to run concurrently with each other in equal measure to note the similarity that exist/ed between them.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:32:52 PM

So did you miss this?

Jordan vows to completely ‘wipe out’ ISIS
By Associated Press
February 7, 2015 | 8:28am

...Jordan’s interior minister, Hussein al-Majali, told the state-run al-Rai newspaper in comments published Saturday that Jordan will go after the militants “wherever they are.”

The most recent airstrikes are “the beginning of a continued process to eliminate them and wipe them out completely,” he said of the militants who control about a third of neighboring Syria and Iraq...

http://nypost.com/2015/02/07/jordan-plans-to-completely-wipe-out-isis/

#sh*tthattheydonottalkaboutonfox
 midnite_icecream
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:57:13 PM
^ It's not unusual to hear Americans being labelled as insular (no offence).. I will also readily raise my hand to having been like that. Ta for that.
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:58:35 PM

The one thing that I have noticed is that Muslims are hesitant to speak out against radicalized Islamist terror...

Its not just Muslims that do that....these so-called liberals didnt speak out against their fellow left-wing terrorists when they rioted, looted, torched their neighborhoods, & assassinated police officers . The usual suspects here actually defended the actions of these left-wing extremists/assassins & cheered them on.

Why would everyday Muslims condemn when they see a political faction of Americans condone such actions?
 aj7125
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/7/2015 7:58:58 PM
"#sh*tthattheydonottalkaboutonfox"

^^^^^^^^ You need to quit watching Brian Williams on NBC and his lies, you must believe Brian walked on the moon right? The reason is you don't have a clue what you are talking about(we know, not a shocker there). Fox news actually does have a news anchor in Jordan so your cute little quote is a swing and a miss....again! Thanks for playing.

^^^^^^ "Why would everyday Muslims condemn when they see a political faction of Americans condone such actions?"

^^^You would have to ask our President that question and the liberal looting and rioting
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS