Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 calguy14
Msg: 126
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISISPage 6 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
@HFX
Of course liberal Hollywood Jews have an agenda.You didn't know that?

It has something to do with whether you need gloves or not to handle some things.

They would prefer not.Liberalism can destroy societies,then you can attempt to remake it to your desire.....
 etourdi65
Msg: 127
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:11:54 AM
how is this not moral equivalence?
"Lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ. In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

The point is in 2015 incidences of radical Christians blowing up people are rare.

but people using any part of a religious text to enforce laws you will be well on your way to understanding.
when you realize that most of the laws that maintain social order in our culture are based on religious doctrine you will be well on your way to understanding.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:13:13 AM

Obama wasn't making 'moral equivalencies' as some shallow thinkers have claimed, he was pointing out that all ideologies can be twisted by dimwitted dogmatism - and he gave a few obvious, well known and pretty indisputable examples from the past to justify the point.

Right and how is what he said not moral equivalence when taken in context? you pretty much show his attempt at moral equivalence in your post "Pointing out that all ideologies can be twisted "

I'm talking about fvcked up thinking. I'm not talking about 'morality' or 'equivalences'. That you, and others, see that it that way illustrates the problem - you think your favourite 'morally superior' ideology is being compared to some other 'morally inferior' (enemy) ideology and found 'equivalent', or wanting - hence the unthinking rush to defend it.

It wasn't being attacked. Just as Islam was not being attacked. No 'moral equivalence' was being drawn. And it's perfectly true that all ideologies can be twisted.

The finger was being pointed at dogmatism and blind support for witless perversions of religious ideologies.

The issue isn't christian morality vs islamic morality. Keep your religion out of it - just as terrorist lunatics don't represent Islam, the forces in opposition do not represent Christianity.

It's sane people vs nutters. Obama's speech was a warning not be a different kind of nutter and pretend you have the 'moral' highground because... christians are always nice. That message will not work.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:20:16 AM

when you realize that most of the laws that maintain social order in our culture are based on religious doctrine you will be well on your way to understanding.

Nope, sorry try again.
 aj7125
Msg: 130
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:26:14 AM
etourdi..........."when you realize that most of the laws that maintain social order in our culture are based on religious doctrine you will be well on your way to understanding."

^^^^^ BINGO!
 trinity818
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:34:39 AM

The finger was being pointed at dogmatism and blind support for witless perversions of religious ideologies.

The issue isn't christian morality vs islamic morality. Keep your religion out of it - just as terrorist lunatics don't represent Islam, the forces in opposition do not represent Christianity.

Well gee...I thought LC summed it up rather clearly with this post.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:38:41 AM

Posted by etourdi65:
"...You guys just want to conflate the issue instead of dealing with the very real issue of Muslim radical terrorists...
Here, lets end the argument. I am a Republican and a Christian I think/ believe that when Christians use their messed up interpretation of the Bible to hurt other people they are wrong and I condemn their actions, even those done in the past...The point is in 2015 incidences of radical Christians blowing up people are rare..."

Spoken like a true gentleman.
My viewpoint is the same. I condemn the actions of people who commit senseless violence in the name of their religion.
Plus, there was even a racist, Democrat, atheist who murdered three Muslim students in North Carolina this week.

Posted by HFX_RGB (aka: FrankNStein902, FrankNFurter, and Aristotle_Amadopolis) :
"So you are ok with people using the bible to hurt others, but only have a problem when they just mess up the interpretation?"

HFX_RGB is pretending like he does not understand what etourdi65 very clearly stated above.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 133
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:44:37 AM

My viewpoint is the same. I condemn the actions of people who commit senseless violence in the name of their religion

But you are ok with oppressing people in the name of your sky wizard.

Otherwise you would be outraged over people being denied rights given to them under the constitution of the USA.

So seeing as that is not the case, one has to assume you think it is ok to use religion to force people to do what your book says.

Thus putting you right up there with ISIS.

HFX_RGB is pretending like he does not understand what etourdi65 very clearly stated above.

and Becky is still trolling.
 momsaysirock
Msg: 134
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:47:50 AM
so to sum up some people's positions..because self-declared Christians commit bad acts..that makes Muslim terrorist killings OK ?

two wrongs = a right?
 trinity818
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:52:02 AM

So seeing as that is not the case, one has to assume you think it is ok to use religion to force people to do what your book says.

Thus putting you right up there with ISIS.

Are you fvcking kidding me? You think the current Christian agenda in the US is parallel to the actions of ISIS? What kind of drugs are you on?

and you've got the nerve to call someone else a troll?

You're a real piece of work.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:56:36 AM

Are you fvcking kidding me? You think the current Christian agenda in the US is parallel to the actions of ISIS? What kind of drugs are you on?

No, I said the current christain agenda is the same as the ISIS agenda.

They both want to force people to do what their books says, I did not compare thier actions, opnly their reasons for said actions.

and you've got the nerve to call someone else a troll?

You should really read what people say before you go off the rails.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 8:59:12 AM
Thought some of the normal posters on here may enjoy this here article. Link provided. Makes some good sense. Unlike the kleenex kid in new scotland.

"You couldn’t have asked for a better insight into the po-mo, relativistic, judgement-dodging mush of modern Western liberalism than the recent commentary on IS. No less a figure than President Obama got the ball rolling last week when he said at the National Prayer Breakfast that we largely Christian Westerners should come down from the moral highground on the issue of Islamist violence. ‘Lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ… [And] slavery and Jim Crow all too often [were] justified in the name of Christ’, he said.

If you heard a smartarse sixth-former who’d just discovered Richard Dawkins’ Twitterfeed and is prepping for a BA in post-colonialist codswallop say ‘We burned people 500 years ago, you know’, you wouldn’t bat an eyelid. But the leader of the free world? The face of ostensibly Christian America? The man who, for better or worse, is the embodiment of the West? For Obama to respond to Islamist violence by saying ‘we did it, too’ is surreal — like if in 1985 Ronald Reagan had said, ‘I had to queue for eight minutes the other day to pay for my loaf of bread, so let’s lay off the Soviets, yeah?’.

Bill Moyers, the White House press secretary under LBJ and now one of the key fist-clenching, head-tilting spokespeople for American liberalism, said he couldn’t sleep after he heard that IS had burned to death the Jordanian pilot. No, not because his mind was swirling with thoughts of how wicked IS is, silly, but because he kept thinking to himself: America did the same shit. He said his mind filled with images of the ‘charred corpses’ of black men lynched in America’s South decades ago, ‘tied to a blistered tree in the heart of the Texas Bible Belt’. He even got up in the middle of the night to Google images of these lynchings.

Now there’s some hardcore commitment to self-loathing: interrupting your night’s sleep to search for gruesome old images that might confirm that America’s historical heart is as black as the Islamic State’s.
Moyers says that when he reads about IS’s execution-by-burning, he thinks of America’s own historic burners, ‘our own barbarians’: ‘Homegrown. Godly. Our neighbours, friends and kin. People like us.’

I’m sorry, but if you look into the Islamic State’s flames and see yourself, if your first thought upon watching one of IS’s medieval snuff movies is to think of your neighbours and friends and how they allegedly once committed equally demented acts, then there’s something wrong with you.

Your moral compass is bust.

Here, American history is not something to study and understand but instead becomes a hairshirt of self-loathing we wrap around ourselves in order to hide from the apparently pesky task of passing moral judgement against a fiery pseudo-state in Syria. Hateful episodes from Western history are dredged up to the cynical end of avoiding making moral distinctions and decisions in the present.
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/hey-who-are-we-to-judge-the-islamic-state/16679#.VNuHmNBFBcs

Have fun reading said article*

*contains nothing about 'pretty young white girls'. Sorry kleenex kid. Dry eye under the bridge. And i dont know about rocket surgeon but it is deffo a 'rocket' (scottish slang lol look it up online)
http://www.scotsman.com/news/bolt-ya-rocket-fanny-toosh-an-a-that-1-466454

P.s. if anyone is wondering why the animosity to banned for life troll hfb twt it is because i despise the twat and wish it no well being whatsoever.
Everyone else is just dinky and if you ever visit edinburgh i shall take you on a tour of auld good pubs.
 etourdi65
Msg: 138
Posted: 2/11/2015 9:01:26 AM

And you are ok with liberal judges overriding the will of the people and present laws based on their liberal ideology forcing people to do what they say, how are you and they any different?
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 139
Posted: 2/11/2015 9:08:06 AM

And you are ok with liberal judges overriding the will of the people and present laws based on their liberal ideology forcing people to do what they say, how are you and they any different?

Please provide one example of such a claim.

And if you do I will show how they used facts and reason to come to a conclusion not some bullsh*t written in a book.

So if you can, please step up and back up your claim.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 9:10:32 AM

so to sum up some people's positions..because self-declared Christians commit bad acts..that makes Muslim terrorist killings OK ?

Summing up is not one your strengths.
Though it could be I guess, and it's just that you are utterly incompetent to an even greater degree at everything else you do.
 calguy14
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/11/2015 9:32:42 AM
DC mentioned "the tyranny of the majority" here a little while ago.

Of course LC had to get around to Israel again.

Yeah we get that part.
 etourdi65
Msg: 142
Posted: 2/11/2015 9:36:04 AM

And if you do I will show how they used facts and reason to come to a conclusion not some bullsh*t written in a book
Do you have any idea what our present laws are based on?

Examples of Judicial activism are all over the place, but you are missing the bigger picture. The point I was making is that you are ok with people with ideology similar to yours forcing people do what they say based on an ideology with which you agree. Even when the majority of people disagree.

So seeing as that is not the case, one has to assume you think it is ok to use religion to force people to do what your book says

Why is your own belief system based on whatever it is superior to anyone else's even those who derive the foundation of their beliefs from a written text?

Not trying to be mean but you are one of the nastiest people on the forums, what do you think prevents most people from following your example?
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 143
Posted: 2/11/2015 9:50:40 AM

Do you have any idea what our present laws are based on?

Yep, Right and wrong.

Examples of Judicial activism are all over the place, but you are missing the bigger picture.

So they are all over the place, but you are unable to provide an example of one because why?

The point I was making is that you are ok with people with ideology similar to yours forcing people do what they say based on an ideology with which you agree. Even when the majority of people disagree.

Correction, the point you have failed to make, as you can not back up your claim with any facts.

Why is your own belief system based on whatever it is superior to anyone else's even those who derive the foundation of their beliefs from a written text?

Because it is based on logic and facts not myths and legends.

That said, why do only cherry pick certain things from your book and disregard other parts?

Not trying to be mean but you are one of the nastiest people on the forums, what do you think prevents most people from following your example?

So you think putting bigots in their place and standing up for what is right is nasty?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 10:01:00 AM
"Not trying to be mean but you are one of the nastiest people on the forums, what do you think prevents most people from following your example?

So you think putting bigots in their place and standing up for what is right is nasty?"

Oh my giddy aunt. Its Sir Trollahad. Fighting for the put upon lol fvckin nonce. You are one of the biggest bigots on here trollahad. Your hatred is legendary.
You sit in comfort (you must because you are on here all day every day). Typical wealthy nonce with more money than working folk. So he shows how he despises
them. You are a grade A berkley hunt. It was not getting its own way when trying to get a poster banned. So it threatened the site with copyright lawyers.
Thats why it was banned.
A hate filled rich nonce who likes 'pretty young white girls' and kleenex tissues. Fvckin plum doss stoat.

P.s. wheres your photieshopped photies? You hiding from someone you cowardly nonce?

Oh and welcome back kangaroo dundee
 momsaysirock
Msg: 145
Posted: 2/11/2015 10:01:57 AM
so lying cheat, better to say Muslims good, Christians bad? let's keep it simple lol

is one of the things that so irritates & aggravates you in general about "Christian" nations that in general there you have the freedom to criticize the government or religion without much fear of being beaten to death, hung, having your head chopped off?

it might be so much better to live in a strict Muslim nation where you know you must

"mind your Ps & Qs" or lose your head..literally? it could be "Freeing" in a perverse way to know that you must avoid certain subjects..especially seeming critical in any way of the royal family, the government , the secret police, or the mullahs..then you could do something somewhat 'productive' in life rather than spend a large proportion of it on POF forums criticizing things
 momsaysirock
Msg: 146
Posted: 2/11/2015 10:39:56 AM

Not too long ago, they would break into an American's house, drag him out of that house, hang him in his front yard, take pictures with the dead American and light their main religious symbol of fire to show that their religion is the base for what they just did. This happened a lot.

yes, "not too long ago" ..you are right..although when was the most recent decade in which this might be considered "common" the 1950's, or 60's? ..before many posters here were born..or at least old enough to make their own rational decisions

vs. ISIS in 2015? and ongoing.. into the foreseeable future
 momsaysirock
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/11/2015 11:20:44 AM
the irony is rich, of people in nominally "Christian" nations saying that Christianity is 'just as bad' as Islam..while in certain Islamic nations,or areas controlled by Islamic fundamentalists, voicing the opinion that there is anything wrong with Islam could mean having your tongue cut out, or worse
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 148
Posted: 2/11/2015 11:36:50 AM

How is that different from republicans and democrats?

You are first going to have to explain how it is the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the irony is rich, of people in nominally "Christian" nations saying that Christianity is 'just as bad' as Islam..while in certain Islamic nations,or areas controlled by Islamic fundamentalists, voicing the opinion that there is anything wrong with Islam could mean having your tongue cut out, or worse

Which only means that so far the islamic fundamentalist have done a better job of taking over the government. But those christains have not given up:

Montana lawmaker wants to ban yoga pants and Speedos
Posted: 02/11/2015, 10:22am
Nick Kotecki, Digital Editor at Sun Times Network

“The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s, and any garment that ‘gives the appearance or simulates’ a person’s buttocks, genitals, pelvic area or female nipple.

“The Republican from Missoula said tight-fitting beige clothing could be considered indecent exposure under his proposal. “‘Yoga pants should be illegal in public anyway,’ Moore said after the hearing.”

Read more at:
http://national.suntimes.com/us-news/7/72/629140/montana-lawmaker-ban-yoga-pants Do you see the similarities?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 12:06:09 PM
And so to part 2 of the article i mention.

"Across the Western media, various voices have piped up to say that we in the West aren’t really virtuous enough to have a proper pop at the Islamic State. The Economist, one-time bible of the business class turned wet mag that now gives the Guardian a run for its money in the self-loathing lark, said Obama was dead right to tell Westerners to clamber down from their high horses.

‘If you think your side is too virtuous to sin, it probably will sin’, it said. An academic columnist said that before we bash IS we should ‘look to the French Revolution’, where people were also beheaded (in a brutal civil war for the Enlightened values of liberty and democracy, but hey, don’t mention that). Chris Hedges, former New York Times correspondent turned every pseudo-liberal’s favourite mouthpiece of Western self-hatred, dragged up various old and new instances of American imperialism and concluded: ‘The line that separates us from the Islamic State is technological, not moral.’

‘The barbarism we condemn is the barbarism we commit’, he said, to the cheering of a million twits on Twitter who had clearly been feeling uncomfortable with the idea that the West is not quite as bad as IS. Hedges and others dress up their moral equivalence between the West and IS as radicalism, a searing critique of Western interventionism. It’s no such thing. It’s better understood as an unwillingness to pass moral judgement on IS — to say it is wicked — disguised as a keenness to condemn the political establishment in Washington and elsewhere.

We’ve also had Glenn Greenwald, the David Icke of the dinner-party anti-war set, arguing that the Islamic State does not have ‘a patent on burning people alive’. Guess who else has done it? We have, of course! Oh, and Israel: Greenwald knows his audience and knows he’ll get a record number of retweets if he likens the Jewish State to the Islamic State. Meanwhile, a very odd column in the Guardian said we shouldn’t get on our high horses about the Islamic State’s manifesto for women, which among other things says nine-year-old girls can get married and women should always be covered from head to toe, because we in Britain still have cases like that of Ched Evans, the footballer imprisoned for rape and later released. What?

Yes, apparently Evans’ supporters — ‘each and every one of them’ — have a ‘good deal of common cause with the ideas of these women of the Islamic State’. So thinking that ex-cons deserve a second stab at life is the same as living in a state that has ditched due process in favour of killing or maiming criminals? I think this fag-packet theory needs more work.

What unites all these expressions of discomfort with slamming IS, this repeated tendency to respond to IS atrocities by saying ‘What about the Inquisition, lynchings, slavery, the Holocaust, Hiroshima, Dresden, Israel, the BNP, that terrible thing my granddad did in the Somme blah blah blah?’, is an unwillingness to judge, to condemn, to make any kind of strong moral distinction between different ways of life."
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/hey-who-are-we-to-judge-the-islamic-state/16679#.VNu0GtBFBcs
 robaustralia
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/11/2015 1:57:07 PM
MSG 160

How come you keep bringing up the KKK thing with a Guilt by Association flavour directed at Republicans?

The original targets of the Ku Klux Klan were Republicans, both black and white, according to a new television program and book, which describe how the Democrats started the KKK and for decades harassed the GOP with lynchings and threats.

An estimated 3,446 blacks and 1,297 whites died at the end of KKK ropes from 1882 to 1964.

The documentation has been assembled by David Barton of Wallbuilders and published in his book “Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White,” which reveals that not only did the Democrats work hand-in-glove with the Ku Klux Klan for generations, they started the KKK and endorsed its mayhem.

“Of all forms of violent intimidation, lynchings were by far the most effective,” Barton said in his book. “Republicans often led the efforts to pass federal anti-lynching laws and their platforms consistently called for a ban on lynching. Democrats successfully blocked those bills and their platforms never did condemn lynchings.”

Further, the first grand wizard of the KKK was honored at the 1868 Democratic National Convention, no Democrats voted for the 14th Amendment to grant citizenship to former slaves and, to this day, the party website ignores those decades of racism, he said.

“Although it is relatively unreported today, historical documents are unequivocal that the Klan was established by Democrats and that the Klan played a prominent role in the Democratic Party,” Barton writes in his book. “In fact, a 13-volume set of congressional investigations from 1872 conclusively and irrefutably documents that fact.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2007/10/44171/#4KyJ1FRgkFbssTDE.99
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS