Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 201
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISISPage 9 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

Good to know. How well did that work out for the Soviet Union? China, especially during the Cultural Revolution? Cambodia under Pol Pot, or any other communist country - all atheistic societies?

Great job at refuting what was said in the study with ancient history which does not reflect a secular world of today.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 202
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS
Posted: 2/13/2015 5:44:36 AM
It did not take them very long.

‘The Crusades Were Great, Actually!’

The right-wing hysteria following President Obama’s remarks has revealed a shocking belief held by many Christian conservatives: that the Crusades weren’t really so bad.

Jay Michaelson

When I was growing up as a Nice Jewish Boy in day school, we were taught that the Crusades were one of the worst episodes in history: marauding Christian soldiers massacring everyone in sight. Especially Jews.

Most historians tend to agree that the Crusades were a dark chapter in Christian history, with extraordinary violence carried out in Christ’s name, and with Christian doctrine often a mere excuse for murder and pillage. This, no doubt, is why President Obama mentioned the Crusades as an example of heinous religious violence last week.

It would seem to be an uncontroversial claim. Historians estimate that between one and three million people died in the Crusades (including the Crusaders), at a time when the world’s population was 300 million. That’s right—up to 1 percent of the entire world population perished in the paroxysms of violence between 1095 and 1291. The equivalent of sixty million people today.

The right-wingnut controversy following Obama’s remarks, however, has laid bare a troubling trend among conservative Christians (and the politicians eager to pander to them): They are now in the business of justifying the Crusades.

You read that right. The point being made is not that Obama is wrong to compare ISIS to the Crusades because the Crusades happened long ago (this was Bobby Jindal’s cute, misleading quip), or because the historical context is different. It’s that Obama is wrong to compare ISIS to the Crusades because the Crusades were actually a good thing.

Read more about what people do when they are face with ugly truths of their dirty past:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/10/the-crusades-were-great-actually.html
 etourdi65
Msg: 203
Posted: 2/13/2015 5:56:05 AM
And 1000 years from now liberals will be saying "The Jihad was Great, Actually"
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 204
Posted: 2/13/2015 6:48:12 AM
etourdi65...that is because Liberals have this very misguided notion that they will be pals with radicalized Islamic jihadists simply because the poor darlings have been completely misunderstood for so long. They truly believe they will sit down to tea and blueberry scones together and everything will be just fine.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2015 7:17:13 AM

Great job at refuting what was said in the study with ancient history which does not reflect a secular world of today

Ancient history? I'm pretty sure China is still communist today, and I'd hardly think the Soviet Union qualifies as "ancient history". If you want current, how about the Maoist Rebels in India? Venezuela under Chavez? Cuba?

Besides - if this is such a "secular world" today, why are we discussing religion at all? Even your trolling is loosing it's edge, hfx.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2015 7:33:04 AM

Liberals have this very misguided notion that they will be pals with radicalized Islamic jihadists simply because the poor darlings have been completely misunderstood for so long. They truly believe they will sit down to tea and blueberry scones together and everything will be just fine.

A fine example of discoursive dishonesty. ^^^
You are clearly an advanced exponent of the 'just make stuff up' disruptive technique.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2015 8:35:06 AM

And 1000 years from now liberals will be saying "The Jihad was Great, Actually"

And 1000 years from now the last few christians and muslims will still be saying to each other, from their adjacent rooms at the Sunshine Farm, "My invisible friend is truer and more noble and better than your invisible friend"
And claiming "Just you wait, He'll be along any day now to smite you... and take me up to heaven"

Any day now...

calguy14
Msg: 208
Posted: 2/13/2015 9:52:48 AM
@hfx #230
I didn't know some Jews wanted first victim status at the crusades as well.Will there be a fund set up now?Reparations?
Endless holocaust reruns on the Smithsonian and now this.Must be one seriously messed up Jewish kid.Did anybody tell him about the Holodomor?
Guess what?Spell checker on this phone doesn't have holodomor.Imagine that.
 momsaysirock
Msg: 209
Posted: 2/13/2015 10:05:06 AM

Well seeing as the facts show that the less religous a place, is the better off the citzens are.

correlation is not causation. (stats 101) it may very well be that the desperately poor turn to religion, promises of a better life in the "hereafter" , and relatively wealthy people & nations do not feel that need as urgently.

Good to know. How well did that work out for the Soviet Union? China, especially during the Cultural Revolution? Cambodia under Pol Pot, or any other communist country - all atheistic societies?

Great job at refuting what was said in the study with ancient history which does not reflect a secular world of today.

the 1950's, 1960's 70's 80's & 90's are "ANCIENT" history? hmmm
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 210
Posted: 2/13/2015 10:43:30 AM

Ancient history? I'm pretty sure China is still communist today, and I'd hardly think the Soviet Union qualifies as "ancient history". If you want current, how about the Maoist Rebels in India? Venezuela under Chavez? Cuba?

How about you look at the most religious states and the USA and the ones that are less religious with respect to quality of life, education, crime, etc.. and get back to us once you learn that the more religious a place it the worse off it is.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/13/2015 10:44:48 AM

etourdi65...that is because Liberals have this very misguided notion that they will be pals with radicalized Islamic jihadists simply because the poor darlings have been completely misunderstood for so long. They truly believe they will sit down to tea and blueberry scones together and everything will be just fine.

http://netwrok.us/stuff/taliban-reagan.jpg
 momsaysirock
Msg: 212
Posted: 2/13/2015 10:48:02 AM

And 1000 years from now the last few christians and muslims will still be saying to each other, from their adjacent rooms at the Sunshine Farm, "My invisible friend is truer and more noble and better than your invisible friend"
And claiming "Just you wait, He'll be along any day now to smite you... and take me up to heaven"

and 1000 years from now the faux-intellectuals will be patting themselves on the back..and mumbling to themselves, because they are all alone in a corner. drooling.."aren't I so smart? smarter than everyone!"
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 213
Posted: 2/13/2015 12:36:04 PM

http://netwrok.us/stuff/taliban-reagan.jpg

Hmmm... interesting... the "King of the Republicans" sitting down... in friendship... for "tea and blueberry scones" with... who...? Why... the people who would became known as al Qaeda and the Taliban...

"The King of the Republicans" declared their jihad... tantamount to the American Revolution... and them... the moral equivalent of "Our Founding Fathers"... and equals under God...

I wonder if Eric_Summit is old enough to remember that...? Or... how the Repubs considered these people to be "doing God's work"...?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 214
Posted: 2/13/2015 1:07:00 PM
Gosh, the President needn't have gone so far back--the Puritans did a pretty good job. English law prevented them from burning their witches, but hanging worked fine. And for ISIS's learning curve: you can execute a witch by laying heavy stones upon them until the internal organs are crushed.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 215
Posted: 2/13/2015 2:24:39 PM

Thompson please educate yourself.Christians don't hate Jews for the death of Jesus 2000 years ago.

Agree that *someone* needs to educate themselves. . . .

Jewish deicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_deicide
Wikipedia
Jewish deicide is a long-held Christian belief that placed the responsibility for the ... the Roman Catholic Church under Pope Paul VI issued a declaration which ...

Pope exonerates Jews for death of Jesus - Jewish World ...
www.haaretz.com/jewish.../pope-exonerates-jews-for-death-of-jes...
Haaretz
Mar 2, 2011 - Pope exonerates Jews for death of Jesus ... Pope Benedict XVI has made a sweeping exoneration of the Jewish ..... Old Nazi forgives Jews.

Pope exonerates Jews for Jesus' death in new book
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../pope-jews-jesus-death_...
The Huffington Post
Mar 2, 2011 - VATICAN CITY -- Pope Benedict XVI has made a sweeping exoneration of the Jewish people for the death of Jesus Christ, tackling one of the ...

Pope's new book says Jewish people not guilty of Jesus' death
content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/.../popes...jewish.../1
Mar 3, 2011 - Pope Benedict XVI, in a new book, rejects the idea of collective Jewish guilt in the death of Jesus Christ.

Who is Responsible for Jesus' Execution
www.religioustolerance.org/j...
Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
All of the Jews in Palestine circa 30 CE were responsible for the execution of Jesus. .... Pope Innocent IV (1432 - 1492): "...strictly forbidding that Jews henceforth ...
 calguy14
Msg: 216
Posted: 2/13/2015 2:52:05 PM
Catholics know that.Nobody takes it seriously just like premarital sex ,birth control and abortion.Get over it.
 kj521
Msg: 217
Posted: 2/13/2015 3:32:51 PM
Sorry.....Sorry.....Sorry....for the interruption. ...

Just wanted to wish my two favorite posters.......Joe & Frank.....

A Very Happy Valentine's Day!

Soooo.......yeah.....that was it. OK. .....I gonna run on out of here now! :D

Edit:

Guess I should say something about the topic so.....I'm glad the President had breakfast because you know....breakfast is the most important meal and all....and saying a prayer is nice, too.....no matter who you are thanking ....so yeah that's it! OK. ...now I'm really leaving.

vvvvv I am a woman of my word! ;)
 MeMeMeatlast
Msg: 218
Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Cheerios to Froot Loops
Posted: 2/13/2015 3:35:36 PM
^^^^ Hey KJ quit being so happy and warm , this part of the forums is for rootin tootin fightin !
 thompson1919
Msg: 219
Posted: 2/13/2015 4:05:47 PM

Thompson please educate yourself.Christians don't hate Jews for the death of Jesus 2000 years ago.You actually read through Mein Kampf in its entirety?

It wasn't any harder than reading the bible.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 220
Posted: 2/13/2015 4:08:53 PM

Catholics know that.Nobody takes it seriously just like premarital sex ,birth control and abortion.Get over it.

Not sure that the North Americans' view of their ability to ignore the Pope holds for the rest of the world. If the Pope himself in the first decade of this century feels it necessary to say so, there's possibly a reason he thought that? I know, when you believe yourself the wisest most knowledgeable soul on the planet, it's difficult to accept new information, but here goes:

There are currently an estimated 6.7 billion people on the planet Earth.

Approximately 33% of those, or 2.2 billion, consider themselves Christian. That makes Christians the largest religion in the world by far. However, Islam is currently growing at a higher rate than Christianity.

Just over half of those Christians, or about 1.1 billion, are Roman Catholic (with some additional 240 million Eastern Orthodox). That makes Roman Catholics, by an overwhelming margin, the largest “denomination” of any religion on the planet. No other Christian “denomination” comes anywhere close to comparing.
- See more at: http://fallibleblogma.com/index.php/how-many-catholics-are-in-the-world/#sthash.vEGdhW51.dpuf
 thompson1919
Msg: 221
Posted: 2/13/2015 4:12:17 PM
In chapter 11 hitler stated talking about creationism and Darwinism. He said they were impossible and animals of a certain kind can change only so much. He went on to talk a great deal like a modern christian.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 222
Posted: 2/13/2015 5:51:14 PM
Awww... that's so sweet KJ...

I'd send you a consolation gift... in case the mailman is married... but they've made that an "upgrade"...
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2015 5:59:40 PM

In chapter 11 hitler stated talking about creationism and Darwinism. He said they were impossible and animals of a certain kind can change only so much. He went on to talk a great deal like a modern christian.

As somebody who has 3 copies of Mein Kampf sitting on his bookshelf and an honours degree in History & Political Science, let me assure you that your understanding of Chapter 11 is about even less accurate than Hitler's understanding of evolution.

(For anybody who's actually, seriously interested, you can read Mein Kampf in it's entirety at http://www.mondopolitico.com/library/meinkampf/dedication.htm

Chapter 11 specifically can be found at http://www.mondopolitico.com/library/meinkampf/v1c11.htm)

Regarding his speaking like a modern Christian, let me quote from said Chapter 11, "Nation and Race", for you:

All the human culture, all the results of art, science, and technology that we see before us today, are almost exclusively the creative product of the Aryan. This very fact admits of the not unfounded inference that he alone was the founder of all higher humanity, therefore representing the prototype of all that we understand by the word 'man.' He is the Prometheus of mankind from whose bright forehead the divine spark of genius has sprung at all times, forever kindling anew that fire of knowledge which illumined the night of silent mysteries and thus caused man to climb the path to mastery over the other beings of this earth. Exclude him - and perhaps after a few thousand years darkness will again descend on the earth, human culture will pass, and the world turn to a desert.

and

Aryan races - often absurdly small numerically - subject foreign peoples, and then, stimulated by the special living conditions of the new territory (fertility, climatic conditions, etc.) and assisted by the multitude of lower-type beings standing at their disposal as helpers, develop the intellectual and organizational capacities dormant within them. Often in a few millenniums or even centuries they create cultures which originally bear all the inner characteristics of their nature, adapted to the above-indicated special qualities of the soil and subjected beings. In the end, however, the conquerors transgress against the principle of blood purity, to which they had first adhered; they begin to mix with the subjugated inhabitants and thus end their own existence; for the fall of man in paradise has always been followed by his expulsion.

and

Blood mixture and the resultant drop in the racial level is the sole cause of the dying out of old cultures; for men do not perish as a result of lost wars, but by the loss of that force of resistance which is contained only in pure blood.

All who are not of good race in this world are chaff.

And all occurrences in world history are only the expression of the races' instinct of self-preservation, in the good or bad sense.

I could go on, but I'm not fond of "wall of text" posts - people tend to ignore them, so it's a waste of time.
But please tell me - where, in all of that drivel, is there ANYTHING that even REMOTELY resembles Christian thinking?

Please don't post any more until you've actually read what you're talking about.
 aj7125
Msg: 224
Posted: 2/13/2015 6:22:36 PM
Who writes this stuff for the President? I think the answer is no one does. Foot in mouth continues. He still thinks the radical Islamic terrorists are a "JV" team.

And now we hear the President making a statement on the NC killings. BEFORE any facts are in. This guy who killed these 3 people will spend the rest of his life in prison, which is definitely justified. Ferguson again?
 kj521
Msg: 225
Posted: 2/13/2015 6:26:45 PM
Ooooh....well....yeah....you weren't suppose to see that, Joe.

What are you doing out of the Off Topic anyway?
And no consolation gift needed....it's the thought that counts. ;). ;)

"This time I can feel it-and can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!"......said with my best Sally Field voice, of course!

So back to this breakfast.....Does anyone know what Pres.. Obama had?

Suddenly....I am very hungry. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Obama Uses National Prayer Breakfast To Compare Christianity To ISIS