Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Are People on Plenty of Fish... special?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HawkingJr
Msg: 51
view profile
History
eats bush and leavesPage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Seriously, NOBODY got the tone of my original post in this thread?

SERIOUSLY?

For the record, I believe most people on dating websites are fairly normal human beings and have arrived at this point in their lives through bad luck – I’ve had plenty of real life friends who are “normal” use them, some even meeting their current spouses, and the majority of profiles I come across seem to be pretty typical examples of women. Those of us (“us” including me) who have primarily met people of questionable character on these things need to ask ourselves why we are primarily attracting people of questionable character. Well, *I* don’t need to ask *myself* that question, because I already know the answer. I’m talking about the rest of “us.”

VolkanoKing and I really don’t have the same attitude about OLD at all, so why I get jumped when making a post mimicking hers while she gets off unscathed is beyond me (well, no, it isn’t – I don’t try to be friends with anybody here and she does, so she’s forgiven; plus, you know, she’s pretty and white [we’ll see how that goes over]).

Now I do have a very negative attitude toward POF, at least partially because I hate the forums with an undying passion (obviously, I like punishing myself), but the main website itself is certainly my greatest example of dating website failure, plus it’s the most highly inefficient tool of its kind – I’ve spent more time on POF than all other dating websites combined to accomplish far less than on most of them, so I think I’m quite entitled to my negative opinion of the site. But, hey. It’s free, unlike most of the sites where I have actually gotten dates. So again, why would I leave?

Although my 3 main “relationships” came as a result of real world interactions, nearly all of my other dates were through OLD (just not POF), so overall I view OLD in a mostly positive light. As I’ve said before, it IS a double-edged sword for someone like me: I’m very much an “acquired taste,” which makes it difficult to find the handful of women who find me attractive, and OLD greatly expands my geographic range to include many such women I’d otherwise likely never meet in real life (I’ve rarely met anyone from OLD that lived in my own county, much less city), but obviously the other edge is that women who would give me a chance in real life situations based on my personality and interactions with me would automatically dismiss me online based on some pictures, stats and text, especially with so much superior competition. So it’s kind of a wash. Now being the age where I have almost no single friends and most of those non-single friends don’t have single friends and nearly all of my daily interactions are with non-single people, OLD is pretty much a necessity just for finding women close to my age that are SINGLE (not to mention also LOOKING).

There are just far better and less frustrating sites for doing so than POF, for ALL men, but me in particular.
 ApriLikesWhiteRosesOnly
Msg: 52
Are People on Plenty of Fish... special?
Posted: 2/10/2015 12:30:06 PM

As a forum reader I can say that, SOME are very...... "special"
 MeMeMeatlast
Msg: 53
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 12:37:46 PM

I mean, who makes it into their 30s without finding “The One”?

I'd guess it would be in the high 90 percentile ?
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 54
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 1:58:05 PM
Mmmmm, love is in the air.

I'm going to make a prediction right here and now. Hawking and Volkano will eventually become a couple.

But until then, Hawking.....dude, you're in Tampa. Hit up Ybor City. You're not far from it. Now that I'm single again, I may take a trip or two out there soon, myself.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 55
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 2:10:29 PM
Oooh...a matchmaker in the crowd!

Hey, my ex husband was a "short man of color" (brown) We were together for 9 years..still friends.

Re: me and Hawking- There's only one of us who has an issue with skin color and height. And it aint me.
 TALL_IQ2
Msg: 56
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 2:19:48 PM
["I'm going to make a prediction right here and now. Hawking and Volkano will eventually become a couple."]

Now, that would make quite an eruption...
Ya know, there ARE some Forumite infatuations that can develop over time, months/years online as people think they get to know an online "persona" better than they think the real person knows themself...
And with that extra "distance and unavailability intrigue" factored in there could be some heat generated... Electronically.

Put them together at dinner or in a room for a while and they may fizzle out just like most of the common "first meets" do IRL. Might hide or at least suppress their authentic "interesting" personalities so that both might say- "What do you wanna do? Oh I dunno, what do YOU wanna do?".

S
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 57
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 2:22:05 PM

Oooh...a matchmaker in the crowd!

Oh my god. And you're both in the Film industry as well.

So Vulcano, you to pair up. I will be a witness and then you guys can take my Kid novel and Halkings can write the script, and you can animate it. So now we need someone from here to write the music score.

So when are the Oscars?

LOL
 ohenryx
Msg: 58
view profile
History
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 2:22:19 PM

CuriousInDB
Pank, you and I must be the two who answered that nuclear war question "yes". I've had "debates" with folks on Stupid about that question. Bottom line: If it weren't exciting, why are there so many movies about it?

I also answered yes to that one.

Armpits are non-negotiable. No

I have no problem with unshaven women. Probably makes me unusual, but so be it.

Actually, I like the questions and answers over at OK*Cupid. I have been having much better luck getting dates there than here.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 59
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 3:55:35 PM
HawkingJR:

VolkanoKing and I really don’t have the same attitude about OLD at all, so why I get jumped when making a post mimicking hers while she gets off unscathed is beyond me (well, no, it isn’t – I don’t try to be friends with anybody here and she does, so she’s forgiven; plus, you know, she’s pretty and white

Unbelievable.

You've played the short card; you've played the "backtrack on my previous post" card; and now, now you bring out the race card. Have any more?
HawkingJr:

Seriously, NOBODY got the tone of my original post in this thread?

I think we all "got the tone" of your original post in this thread perfectly. I do believe we've heard it before.

Hard to backtrack on the written word. That's one of the things I like most about OLD. Just let 'em talk.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 60
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 4:04:13 PM

Oh my god. And you're both in the Film industry as well.

So Vulcano, you to pair up. I will be a witness and then you guys can take my Kid novel and Halkings can write the script, and you can animate it. So now we need someone from here to write the music score.

So when are the Oscars?

LOL

Now, see? My prediction doesn't sound so nutty after all, does it? All the right ingredients are present.

Coming soon to Bravo Channel - "Piggy's Perfect POF Pair Ups"
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 61
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 4:29:16 PM
Next episode: "The Career Girl and the Career Victim"
 Ouija2025
Msg: 62
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 4:39:17 PM
I eat bush and leaves, I tend to call it pizza tho
Hawking will always find some reason why his Life sucks more than others
I kinda fancy he and VK together.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 63
view profile
History
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 4:45:34 PM
“But until then, Hawking.....dude, you're in Tampa. Hit up Ybor City. You're not far from it. Now that I'm single again, I may take a trip or two out there soon, myself.”

I don’t know when the last time you were in Tampa, but Ybor is not what it used to be – it got so wild, the cops came down on it and politicians decided to make it “family-friendly.” I’m not even going to the night parade on Saturday because it’s become too pathetic. (Okay, I would still go, despite its patheticness, if I didn’t have a conflict. A pathetic Gasparilla is better than 99% of other things I could be doing, but here’s a rare moment in which there is a more important 1%. Plus it’s Valentines Day. Yay!) Anyway, downtown St. Pete, Clearwater Beach, SoHo – that’s where the real action is these days.

“There's only one of us who has an issue with skin color and height. And it aint me.”

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve never rejected a woman because of her skin color or height. Obesity? A few times (all online – no obese woman has ever hit on me in real life). Age (either direction)? Yes. Dangerous parents or exes? Quite frequently. Legal concerns? Absolutely. You are confusing the reasons why I would reject a woman (which is a situation that comes up only on those rare days that hell freezes over) with the reasons why women reject me.

You and I would obviously not be a “good match” in real life because our philosophies differ too greatly, but just like I told NDTFan, I’m sure we’d have a nice little meeting together – and I don’t have 1% of the issues with you I had with NDTFan. In current real life, usually the only people I don’t get along with are my bosses and cops, and that’s because I have a problem with authority. The forums are pretty much just a release, since I can’t stir up trouble in real life.

"I kinda fancy he and VK together."

About the only thing we have in common is that we both agree that life sucks. That's not something to build a relationship on.

CuriousInDB: I knew, if anyone, you’d take that bait. BTW, isn’t your main profile pic against site rules?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 64
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 4:51:45 PM

I kinda fancy he and VK together.

Can't really see that. I would give it a week... ten days, she will have strangled him if he runs on at the mouth like he posts....on...and on....and on.....and on. Lol j/k
 HawkingJr
Msg: 65
view profile
History
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 5:14:51 PM
"she will have strangled him if he runs on at the mouth like he posts....on...and on....and on.....and on."

I think it's been pretty well established that I am a writer and not a talker. If I'm not working, I can go entire days without speaking a single word. In fact, I think that happened on Sunday (not counting the very brief interaction with a pizza counter server).

On actual real meets, if I end up with a shy, quiet girl, hardly a word will be said at the dinner table. I kid you not -- I am only compatible with motor mouths (see: last half dozen women I dated). And I almost NEVER get into conversations about anything controversial, including politics, religion or my datelessness, except with my best friend, and she's the one who usually starts those conversations. If there's a group discussing such things, I just sit quietly and mind my own business. But if movies come up, I will sometimes talk people's ears off, though a decade as a film critic pretty much destroyed my appetite for seriously discussing movies. (Half the time if somebody asks for my opinion about a movie, I'll just lie and say I didn't see it, because it's a discussion I just don't want to get involved with in real life -- as opposed to on a movie message board.)

Some time ago, I was involved in a group meeting from another message board I was involved with which was MUCH more hostile than this one, and several of my sworn enemies showed up. We had a lovely evening together and not once did dating issues come up.

A lot of people claim they are exactly the same in real life as on these boards, but I seriously doubt that. Like one of my "enemies" was very reminiscent of Tickle Me Pank in that she just cut other posters into shreds with sarcastic wit, saying things nobody in their right mind would say in person. And in real life, this woman did not say anything like that to me in person, or to anyone else -- she was actually a very delightful person (it was actually tough to go back to hating each other on the boards after that meeting...). And on that same note, I don't talk anything like I write on these boards and I barely say anything much at all. These are dating forums -- I argue all day about dating, just like you're supposed to. Then I go home and watch the Daily Show.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 66
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 5:23:27 PM
"About the only thing we have in common is that we both agree that life sucks. That's not something to build a relationship on."

Ahhh noooo.....we never agreed that "life sucks." Life is great. Great job, vacation to Europe this spring, signed on an agent and am working on a book. 2015 is going to hit it out of the park.

ONLINE DATING sucks.

Let us make the distinction.

Hawk doesn't interest me..not because of how tall he is or because he's african american. It's because he aint got no sense of humor. At least, no perceptible sense of humor. The whole thing about us getting together (or others here) is a joke, and he's writing paragraphs about how it would never work.

Relax...and stop bein' so literal, kid!

OK, so he watches the Daily Show. I'm talking about, where's the "hey I get this thread is a joke" sense of humor. I personally absolutely MUST have a man WHO MAKES ME LAFF!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Plus, not interested in men in their 20's-30's. They dont remember the 80's. <---- of key importance!!
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 67
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 5:39:16 PM

I don’t know when the last time you were in Tampa, but Ybor is not what it used to be – it got so wild, the cops came down on it and politicians decided to make it “family-friendly.”

I'm aware of some of the changes, but I was out at The Castle last year for my birthday bash, and we had a hell of a time.

Oh, and Volkano is on to something here. I think you just might be taking shit too seriously. She's trying to tell you her heart could have been yours if you just had a sense of humor.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 68
eats bush and leaves
Posted: 2/10/2015 6:28:18 PM
HawkingJr:

CuriousInDB: I knew, if anyone, you’d take that bait. BTW, isn’t your main profile pic against site rules?

You calling me stupid, Hawking? Knew I'd take the bait?

That's okay. I think you're pretty smart (but wrong me being stupid).

You're absolutely right about the pic so I changed it out, but not because of you. SunshineGirl was asking about it in another thread at the same time you were (well, she wasn't actually asking about it).

See for yourself:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16348898.aspx
"image reported isuse"
Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help

You were right. I'm not fond of this pic of me but the shirt looks great.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 7:03:32 AM
“Plus, not interested in men in their 20's-30's. They dont remember the 80's.”

Oh, I remember the 80s extremely well. I just wish I didn’t, partially because it was spent entirely in the hellhole of rural Alabama, and partially because big hair perms are ugly.

“I'm aware of some of the changes, but I was out at The Castle last year for my birthday bash, and we had a hell of a time.”

During the “Girlfriend Era” (also my “Social Life Golden Age”), I practically lived at the Castle. I wouldn’t necessarily call it my favorite club, but certainly I never felt unwelcome there, despite standing out like a sore thumb. My second closest friend had her 2009 birthday party there and I haven’t been back since, mostly because she has hardly been back there (she lives in downtown St. Pete so the incentive to drive 35 minutes to party when she can walk and accomplish the same is about zero, despite so many old friends still hanging out there). But on rare occasions these days when I’m in Ybor on a Thursday or Saturday, I will walk by it and reminisce. Is the Senator still there? I will say, of all the clubs in Ybor, the Castle is most likely to continue indefinitely because it caters to a completely different demographic whereas nearly all the others are fighting over the same people, hence there are almost no other clubs remaining from the high point of the early 2000s.

“You calling me stupid, Hawking? Knew I'd take the bait?”

I don’t think you’re stupid. But based on past interactions, you seemed most likely to ignore the parentheticals.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/11/2015 12:48:22 PM
HawkingJr:

I don’t know when the last time you were in Tampa, but Ybor is not what it used to be – it got so wild, the cops came down on it and politicians decided to make it “family-friendly.” I’m not even going to the night parade on Saturday because it’s become too pathetic. (Okay, I would still go, despite its patheticness, if I didn’t have a conflict. A pathetic Gasparilla is better than 99% of other things I could be doing, but here’s a rare moment in which there is a more important 1%. Plus it’s Valentines Day. Yay!) Anyway, downtown St. Pete, Clearwater Beach, SoHo – that’s where the real action is these days.

Well, aren't you a little ray of sunshine?

I was in Ybor City a couple months ago. WTH are you talking about? Do you go anywhere? I was in New Port Richey last week. Sure, the hotel wasn't much ...

That may be part of the problem, Hawking. Maybe move to Alaska or ... Nova Scotia just sounds brutal. Maybe there. Somewhere north. Say what you will about us Floridians, but we're a happy people. Really. I don't think you fit in here.
HawkingJr:

I don’t think you’re stupid. But based on past interactions, you seemed most likely to ignore the parentheticals.

Caught me, Hawking. I've never been very good at reading. In fact, past elementary school, I didn't like school much. Kinda boring, you know?

Wasn't much at math either. (Cue "Don't Know Much About History", Sam Cooke.)

I like a good debate though, Hawking, the key word there being "good". You're not real good at it, Hawking. You'd lose if we were being scored.

You've got me reading your long, boring diatribes of hot air though. Not for long. You're beginning to bore me.

What are your movies about? Are they like your posts?

Ever thought of starting a thread I know there is nothing redundant on? How about this: "What percentage of HawkingJr's posts do you read?"

Oh, yeah, something about broadcasting/billboarding/ranking/voting. Those rules. I've read them so many times. Think that's what's wrong, Hawking? I'm not a good reader? I just seem to tune out rules for some reason. I have to watch that around here.

Why are all the good threads against the rules?
 Dragracer428
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/11/2015 12:59:30 PM

CuriousinDB wrote
That may be part of the problem, Hawking. Maybe move to Alaska or ... Nova Scotia just sounds brutal. Maybe there. Somewhere north.

HEY HEY I live next door to Nova Scotia, alright NS does suck but PEI does not!!!!!! LOL
OK the twice weekly snowstorms are kinda of a downer and the steady below zero temps don't help.

Screw it you're right, I'm moving to Florida, maybe Daytona Beach??????
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/11/2015 1:48:05 PM

During the “Girlfriend Era” (also my “Social Life Golden Age”), I practically lived at the Castle. I wouldn’t necessarily call it my favorite club, but certainly I never felt unwelcome there, despite standing out like a sore thumb.

Standing out like a sore thumb? Dude, just wear black, and you'll look like you belong.

hahaha, The Senator. Yes, he's still there. That old f*ck came up to me and my date the first time I went there, wearing nothing but a condom. The second time, he was wearing pink lingerie. And you're worried about sticking out like a sore thumb?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 5:11:20 PM
You had more staying power than I did. After a while of Saturday nights out getting nowhere with the women, I elected to take up Sunday motorcycle racing. Saturday nights were in bed early, to be fresh on race day. A grand way to escape the dating frustration. And since I was lousy at dating, but successful on the track, age 30 went by with no notice from me.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2015 7:46:54 AM
“I was in Ybor City a couple months ago. WTH are you talking about? Do you go anywhere? I was in New Port Richey last week.”

Those who have not been to Ybor frequently may consider it to be a bit of a “wild” place but it is currently nothing like the circus it was during the mid-1990s to mid-2000s, when it was basically the center of all night life in the entire Tampa Bay area and 7th Avenue had to be shut down every Friday and Saturday night due to the overwhelming crowd surge. Much like it’s a mini-Mardis Gras on Bourbon Street every weekend and not just during Mardi Gras itself, in Ybor at that time it was mini-Gasparilla every weekend and you couldn’t make it 5 feet along the Centro balconies without a new round of craziness happening. Now, even Gasparilla is not Gasparilla, much less non-Gasparilla weekends. I would post some pictures from that era to see if you even recognized Ybor, but undoubtedly my 8-year-old account would get cancelled. If you’ve lived in Daytona for a long time, then you should know what true “wild” is, considering it used to be the spring break capital of the world (I was last there for a film festival a year ago that my movie showed at, and much like Ybor, things seem to have calmed down there, but it was out of season).

I’m not sure why, but the plurality of women I’ve met from OLD lived in NPR. I think girls in Pasco are just really bored from nothing to do and spend most of their time messing around on the internet.

“What are your movies about? Are they like your posts?”

The one about to be released is a supernatural horror about a girl being stalked by a serial killer’s ghost. The two that I’m currently pitching to the same distributor are a teen vampire flick (nothing like “Twilight”) and a “Clerks”-ish grossout comedy about employees at a movie theater. The previous one we made was also a comedy, not coincidentally about internet dating gone awry, and before that, our biggest hit that played in tons of festivals and won a slew of awards was a neo-noir-ish action mystery about a guy pursuing the woman who shot hit him. Most of my screenplays are moody dramas or black comedies, though I also have some historical epics and sci-fi scripts. I’ve only written one that could possibly fit the dynamic you’ve seen in my posts (coincidentally, set partially in old school Ybor), and it will likely never get produced because it is dark and disturbing – not that there haven’t been more disturbing movies made, but getting funding for this one would be nearly impossible, as it would definitely be a tough sell to distributors, despite the screenplay having placed highly in several contests. But it actually is about a group of misfits who descend into madness due to their lack of popularity with women – it’s a rare screenplay that’s inspired mostly by my own personal problems (I’ve always tried to avoid that -- nobody gives a damn about my life). Interestingly, most of my protagonists are females, largely because most of my best friends have been female so I know female characters better than males. Nevertheless, the teenage girl star of my last movie rewrote half of her dialogue because she said my language was dated, but that was more a generational issue than a gender issue.

“Standing out like a sore thumb? Dude, just wear black, and you'll look like you belong.”

I’m always in black, man – maybe too much black for some of those patrons! A character very similar to the Senator appears in the screenplay I just rambled on about above. In fact, the Castle itself is in it, but interestingly, I wrote the original draft of the screenplay before I ever went to the Castle – just based the description on what I had heard, and ended up being fairly accurate...
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/12/2015 2:32:53 PM
^^^Hi, Hawking. I'm here in Tampa. Would you like to join us at the POF event at Buckets?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Are People on Plenty of Fish... special?