Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sweetgirlnessa
Msg: 50
Any single parents of disabled children??Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
thank you for what you posted. for someone (me) who is going through a horrifying and unbelievably difficult time, i so appreciate your words. please contact me. Vanessa
 sweetgirlnessa
Msg: 51
Any single parents of disabled children??
Posted: 7/12/2006 9:32:45 PM
i am sorry people are not more sensitive to you child's disability. my daughter has severe brain damage as a result of being violently shaken by her baby nurse when she was just 5 days old. i will never get over my guilt at having put her in the hands of this monster. every day is a struggle. EVERY DAY IS A STRUGGLE. contact me.
 cherries4u
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/12/2006 10:16:46 PM
hi i have a son who is 1 1/2 he was born 3 1/2 mths early spent 4 mthe in the icu has had many sugerys to close the pda valve and hes blind due to detached retnias
 christina34
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/13/2006 12:02:39 AM
Hi sorry I just joined and saw your message. I am to a single parent of a daughter who has Bi polar disorder and ocd. My son has adhd so I understand where your coming from. It is very difficult to have children like these and to have to explain all the time about their conditions. I have had people say they shouldn't be on meds, that its not helping. If they could see them without meds, they would have another outlook. My ex doesn't understand about the conditions. I have taking classes on the conditions, so I know what I am dealing with. He refuses he rather I deal with everything, he just agrees to everything the doctor says. He won't ask questions just goes along with everything. He is in their life but yet not really, know what I mean? I am upfront with anyone I meet about my kids, and they tell me they don't understand how I can work full time go to school, and take care of my kids with their conditions. I just tell them that their my kids, I have to be there for them. I have to do everything I can, to make sure they have a normal as possible life. Keep your chin up, its hard but I believe it will get better.
 happymomto3
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/10/2006 12:55:17 PM
I have a 2 year old who has disabilities and since we do not know yet what he has exactly I do not know what to expect with him except I do expect to have this amazing ,happy, wonderful, loving child ,that for some unknown reason I was blessed with. It definatly wasnt easy when I was pregnant to understand and be ok with the fact that my son was not going to be "normal" ,healthy and easy. but have found I am so grateful that he is mine. if you have a child with dissabilities and need another parent to talk to let me know it is a difficult but rewarding life and I would want noother child then mine . I do know it isnt comfortable for some parents but everyone handles life in a different way and with different thoughts and feelings, and we are all right in our own way regardless of how comfortable others are with it. You always need to do what is right for you and yours
 TattooGrl4U
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2006 10:02:53 PM
Like the most of you wonderful people on here that have disabled children, my youngest son is not as bad. My son was born with sevier clubed feet. There are some people who know what this is and some that don't. My son's feet were totaly upside down when he was born, I was told by doctors that even with surgeries, there could be a possability that he 1. would never walk. 2. He would not walk untill he was much older. 3. Leave them the way that they are, 4. Do the best that we can. I had a hard decision to make. I let the Doctors do surgery on Him. He is now 5 years old and is a very bright and active child, also with ADHD. He started walking at the age of 3. He has gone threw 4 Surgeries on his feet and legs to strighten them as much as possable. This past May was the 4th surgery where they had to fuse bone to the outside of his foot. I was told also tho that this may not work and if it doesn't (having to wait a year to find out) then he will have to go threw surgery every 4 years untill he is 30 to put steel plates in his foot as it grows.

I know what it is like when other people on the street and in stores, look at you make sly, and stupid remarks like " I bet you she beats her child" But then you also have those people that have comapssion, and ask what happend, just to make sure that they do not get the wrong impression. I have been going threw this by myself since he was born, as well as my 7year old having learning disabilities, and being dislexsic.

I Will commend all you parents that, have children that are disabled and have been doing their best to keep up and keep your spirits high.. Right on all of you...
 SassySiamese
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2006 9:45:32 AM
I too, have a daughter with Down syndrome. Her father is non-existent in her life. She's going to be 11 years old in just a few weeks. But yes, I do find it hard to meet people that are willing to accept her for who she is. When I do meet someone, seems like we hit it off then poof... they play the avoidance game. I don't question it. I make two attempts to contact the person and if they don't communicate back with me, then I don't waste my time.
 sola06
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/17/2006 4:01:30 AM
Hi I have a 5 year old Autistic son and like someone said in a previous post, you do find out early who your friends are. Everyone has run for the hills on me because of my son but I don't care anymore. I love my son. It's nice to see a man taking care of a disabled child. And Believe me when I tell you that I know the challenges. Especially when they can't talk. My son didn't talk until he was almost 4 and for a long time all he did was scream and have temper tantrums because he didn't know how to communicate with us. Best of luck and if you ever want to talk just email me.

Rosie Angel's mom
 lovelylea
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/3/2007 6:55:34 PM
Wow that is so funny that you post that....my cousin also has a little boy though with Angel Mans....it is so very rare!!!! I have a son that has special needs and it makes you think twice about getting back into the dating world!!! Some people are just not that accepting...if you would like to chat, feel free to drop me a line.
Good Luck with your daughter ...i know it is a challenge, i live it as well.

Cheers Leanne
 sophiec
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/27/2007 4:13:44 PM
i have a daughter that has down's syndrome plus she is chronically ill. i find it very hard to date and find someone that accepts her and i for who we are. its tuff being single and all i am looking for is someone to understand and be patient
 tahena
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/2/2007 1:19:19 AM
Oh yes, I have two girls, who are 9 and turning 11. My 9 year old has anger management issues dealing with her sisters disability and the messy separation/divorce we went through. My 11 yr old is borderline for Aspergers, she has anxiety, some depression, behavioural problems, socialization issues, a learning disability and adhd: meds ritalin, going to see if company will cover Sertra (or something like that) as it targets anxiety etc as well as the adhd. She is going to be attending a special school for kids with behavioural and emotional issues starting in september. I fought long and hard since she was 5 to get her a psychiatrist to look her over and recommend the right cource of medications, I got her into play therapy and they worked on feelings and expressings ones emotions, bla bla bla . SO I have my own social worker , my 11 yr old has her own social worker, and a familiy worker, plus CAS is involved to make sure she gets on the right track. I hate CAS I cringe every time I see a home visit booked. Anyway off topic. They go see their dad about once every 6 - 8 weeks or so, or when they ask or tell me they want to go see him. sometimes I will suggest it so I can get a break!!! I have sole custody as dad is a disinterested one and I had to go to court to get childsupport etc.. blah blah blah. Anyway enough of that. I have been separated since april 2000 and have had two boyfriends if you can call them that. They didn't last long, couldn't cope with the girls issues let alone mine. So it'
s been me and my girls for the last 5 yrs single, hehehh.

Keep looking up.

Julie
 DrWho3000
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 8:23:20 AM
I Have A Boy Of 13 who has Special Needs, he has Learning Difficulties, Hypertonia, Gross & Fine Motor skills Delay , Aspergers Dyspraxia, & Bad behavioral Problem

I look after him alone & on my own have don for 11 years
 redsoxsue
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/4/2007 12:29:26 PM
My son has just turned 10 yrs old, entered 5th grade in a new school, and until he gets back into a routine, there will be days ( and nights ) of extreme mood swings. He was born with a genetic disorder; 22Q. Along with that, he has Sensory Integration difficulties, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Hearing Loss - amplified in right ear only, Non-Verbal Learning Disorder - he does not understand social cues making school a minefield of his peers' practical jokes, he has difficulty sleeping - often sleepwalking, sometimes cannot feel an injury but then over reacts to a small scratch, he catches every cold, every sniffle and it takes him longer to get back on his feet.
I'm probably forgetting a few things - sleep deprivation will do that...

I'm constantly doing paperwork for his medical or financial benefits ( love those forms that ask - will this condition improve in the next six months ? LOL ! ) , his IEP or just trying to get him through a school day. Each morning is a challenge starting with his clothes - even though he chose them the night before. Today they are too bright, too tight, too itchy, too something, so after 5 to 10 changes later, we are ready for socks and shoes....after 3 to 8 pairs of socks, we are ready for his orthotic sneakers...then we tie them...by this point I usually just tie them because he needs to eat before his van comes...some days, I drive him because he hasn't eaten anything. Then, heaven forbid, if some thing or one is LOUD near him, he is a WRECK ! sigh.... Now that's an extreme example; we have days where he's up and out like nothing's ever bothered him - and then I get suspicious

My husband died when my son was 14 months old. I never planned on doing this by myself and I have changed my career plans along the way. Being a Mom is great and being my son's advocate is hard work, too but after all the volunteering in the classrooms, I'm looking forward to becoming an Elementary Science Teacher
I love having an integrated classroom because SpEd kids will keep asking questions with just a little prompting and until they are satisfied with the answers they get, they won't let up !

Whenever I think it's just too much somedays, I get in the car, alone, take a little drive, crank up the music ... and scream my head off until I'm laughing at myself Works for me
 tlcntexas
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/4/2007 6:47:16 PM
OP: FYI just wanted to let you know my oldest son was born with Angelman Syndrome.

He was diagnosed when he was only 2 yrs. old and he will be 17 yrs. old this Friday!!! WOW time has flown by. A rollercoaster ride over the years but oh the smiles, hugs, and laughter have made it worth every second.

If you ever have any questions or need a shoulder...feel free to contact me.

Best of luck and many blessings to you and your "angel."
 Kerryann1976
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/4/2007 9:19:45 PM
It's sad to have a child(ren) with disabilities but you seem to make the most of it!Good for you.Keep loving your daughter more and more everyday and I'm sure she thanks you in her own way.I have a son with many mental health issues and it's very hard but I keep pushing to be the best I can for him and teach him all I know.I am also raising him without his dad who has no clue he's disabled because he wouldn't care.Anyways,keep up the good work and don't let any negativity on the mothers part put you down...you have a wonderful child so I'm sure that won't be hard.Keep smiling!
 topaz101
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/5/2007 7:04:07 AM
I am a single parent of a child who was diagnosed with moderate severe autism he is now seven soon to eight and his dad is in his life as much as he can be which is good but he cant deal with the behavioural issues that go along with my high needs child. John it doesn't matter what disability it is its a hard situation all around my son doesnt want to see his dad at all. As probably yours soon will be the same way. I wish you the best of luck and take care of yourself for your little girl.
 deetab
Msg: 76
Posted: 9/5/2007 12:35:25 PM
Hiya Parents ........
I have a son who was born with a EYE condition called NASTIMUGS
It runs IN the blood line on my moms side.In Most case its boys ,and by the age 14 it gets BAD."BLIND!!!!!!!!"
Well I have a son who has had some ruff times with his eyes over the yrs.
He strated school waering glasses but kids PICKED AND PICKED to were he would not wear them again. I was told that it really would not matter much if he did were his glasses ,That it would not help his eyes get any better. So over the yrs hes Done as much as any boy could do 100% boy!!!.. I never told him HE COULD NOT DO IT. Id let him prove me WRONG. Well as of Sep 4th he went to his eye doctor .Hes now 16 and he was won'ting very very bad to start driving. WELL he was told yesterday IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Hes 100% heart broken !!!!!!!!! So what can I do....??? His dad has told him thay will go for a 2nd check but I just don't know. Hes a Great at drawing and won'ts to be a tatto artis....Im scared it may all be SHOOT TOO....H**LL.....
PLEASE HELP ANY INFO ?????????????????????????????Heart borken MOM
 beacon_ofhope
Msg: 77
Posted: 6/18/2008 8:15:14 PM
I have a wonderfully cool 18 year old daughter who is globally developmentally delayed, and as a single parent it has been hard there are no dating sites for people like us, and we almost always scare away potential mates because of our kids...hey its the other persons loss if they don't get to know our angels!
 maria31st
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/19/2008 8:06:49 PM
i have a child not sure if you call him disabled or not hes autistic i still am working on knowing more about autism. he knows im there and he gives me big hugs and i love the fact hes here in this world right now.i wouldnt know what to do with out my boys i have 2 ages 10 & 7 maria

makes me sad that he has autism for the longest time i blamed myself, but then as he got a little older that changed .
 maria31st
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/19/2008 8:07:18 PM
i have a child not sure if you call him disabled or not hes autistic i still am working on knowing more about autism. he knows im there and he gives me big hugs and i love the fact hes here in this world right now.i wouldnt know what to do with out my boys i have 2 ages 10 & 7 maria

makes me sad that he has autism for the longest time i blamed myself, but then as he got a little older that changed .
 SJC25
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/20/2008 8:52:39 AM
I have two children. My son is 9 and has Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD, and anxiety disorder. He is a great kid, has an off-the-wall sense of humor, and is friends with everyone. He also has no clue when it comes to "social cues", can't concentrate to save his life, and worries about things such as all the police men going on vacation on the same day.
My daughter is 6 and has moderate autism. She LOVES everybody, can do second grade math, and has the ability to make anyone smile. She also has a need to routine, has the language skills of an 18 month old, and is literally fearless.
As you can see, I tend to focus 0n what my kids CAN do before I think about what they can't do.
And yes, my kids disablities have impacted my dating life, but you know what? That's ok. Someday the right guy is going to come along.
 TattooGrl4U
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 10:30:01 AM
I just read what you put in the thread about you thanking god that you have a healthy child.
Just because a child has a disability does NOT mean that the child is not healthy. That statement made me very upset that you would put that in there. My son may be disabled, but he is a very healthy and happy child.
 yummykisses4u
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/31/2008 4:03:03 PM
Hi, my name is Shelly and I was reading some of the post here. I find it very encouraging to hear I am not alone in having a child with a disability. My son is 7 years old and he was dignosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I have been looking everywhere to find out info so I can help him in anyway possible. His father passed away 2 1/2 years ago so I contributed all his problems to that trama. I feel like a bad mom for not knowing. I am determined to give him all the love and support he deserves and to find all the help possible. He is such a sweet child, I just wish the world could look beyond his disability. Good luck, to all the parents and their beautiful children.
 charlene83
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/1/2008 11:25:51 AM
I am a 25 year old single mom to a 3 year old son. We have been through TONS of health problems since he was born. I went from pre-eclampsia into HELLP syndrome (the most severe form of it) and had to have an emergency c-section 5weeks before my due date. My son didn't have many problems in the NICU just failure to thrive and had trouble learning to suck/swallow. After that it has been downhill, this is a list of everything we have been through as far as I can remember:

-failure to thrive
-learning to suck/swallow
-was on apnea monitor
-GERD
-chorea syndrome (developed due to being on Reglan and Axid for over a year)
-had a problem with a part of his skull being flat so he had to wear a STARband helmet (cant remember the name of it lol)
-was diagnosed of having a developmental delay very severe was over a year delayed
-later diagnosed with an extremely rare chromosome abnormality on the strands of the 13 chromosome (we have no idea of anyone in the world with this same diagnosis)
-still have failure to thrive
-minor heart murmur
-recurring ear infections which prompted tubes put in ears (tentative removal date is 4/09)
-speech delay has prompted doctors to look at his mouth for possible VPI- velopharyngeal insufficiency
-ADHD (severe)
-possible bipolar (just too young to full diagnose)

We now have him enrolled with the PPCD program (preK program for children with disabilities) with our local school district and he is finally learning to eat more breakfast foods (table food instead of baby food-thanks free school meals lol). Even though his speech is so delayed he is smart enough to know his entire alphabet and numbers 1-10 at the young age of 3. I love my son more then life itself and even though he has as many problems as he has I would not change him for anything in the world! I know that God made a man out there that will be perfect for us and he will come into our lives when the time is right. I wish I knew when that time would be but until then I hope to at least meet some great single parents out there and some nice single men lol!

Charlene
 Lost71
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/1/2008 2:19:59 PM
I have 5 children 9-20. My 13year old has spinabifida/hrydrocycphlus. He does pretty good now, 28 surgeries later. however the early years were hit and miss. I have used alot of alternitive methods that have helped alot. I also took him to see an amish irradologist(i spell horriable sorry) anyway he was helpful. I can send you alot of info- to you, go to my page so I can email you. cranberry is wonderful-so is a garlic supplament-tuna is high protien an is helpful once a week-fletcher castora for bowels, mix with alittle dr pepper-combined with senakot-s is very effective. My son couldn't take anything else, it all hurt his belly. We just ordered our wheelchair this year 08, he wears leg braces and thank god he has always managed to get wherever he wanted. We are now considering the mace-monte to get him more independent. I have been divorced since he was born 13years and with the help of my loving family and his older sibling we make it. Good luck to you- hope to hear from you soon-a child is always a gift from god and know that you were choosen to be a mommy with a special child! I know I am.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >