Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 reddhed
Msg: 150
Any single parents of disabled children??Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Do you parents who are raising children with disabilities wonder what life will be like for them when they become adults with disabilities, and especially when it comes to dating and relationships? As a young boy growing up with a disability I had many wonderful women in my life that were full of compassion. I went to day programs where young women volunteered to work with children with disabilities, and they really brightened my life at that time. However, when I grew older and was no longer a child with a disability, but a young man, I soon became aware of the fact that women now viewed me quite differently. I hope that as we evolve as a society, people with disabilities will be afforded the same considerations that all people receive. There was a time when people of color, people of different sexual orientation and women were viewed (and treated) differently, but those prejudices are slowly fading away. I hope by the time your children grow to adulthood the same can be said for people with disabilities.
 LisaLoki
Msg: 151
Any single parents of disabled children??
Posted: 4/13/2012 8:29:47 PM
Hey your daughters condition can have complex dietary and behavioral issues as well such as pica etc... Support groups are great.
 Bridgerock93
Msg: 152
Posted: 4/16/2012 6:00:18 PM
I know this was posted ages ago but wanted to put in my 2 cents. I have an 8 year old son with autism and seizures. He can walk and climb onto chairs and beds on his own and can find and drink from his sippy cup on his own, but everything else he needs help with. His father's deceased so I've got him all to myself. I love the little angel sooo much but worry about his future. I think it's going to have to be a very special guy for me to get in a relationship because I'm going to have to trust him completely with my son beforehand.
 Pink_Butterflies
Msg: 154
Posted: 4/22/2012 7:38:48 AM
Hi!! My Daughter Emma is 13, at 17 months of age she was diagnosed with Autism, 13 years later I tell you what a roller coaster ride its been with her. Where do I begin? Our therapist thinks I should write a book. I have so much Id like to say in just my first blog about Emma Leigh Rose. She is 5'9 size 11 womens shoe Ii myself am 5'3 and size 8.5/9 feet)very heavy girl beautiful curly blond hair biggest blue eyes brightest smile big heart and an old cranky soul. She hugs she says i love you she punches and hits and says i hate you go F yourself i hate myself and i wanna kill myself. thus she was diagnosed with Bi Polar, Manick depression, Sotosyndrome and the list goes on, some days i feel im raising a Monster, other days an angel, Emma became a big sister May 13 2009 months after turning 10, its a love hate relationship there, and Emmas very abusive now, but we deal with it, we have ALOT of support groups, and alot of LOVE in this home, and may God BLESS us all!!!!!!!!!

Id write more but that will have to wait for my book :)

Jenn 35 Oshawa
 LadyRedRoseOhio
Msg: 155
Posted: 4/22/2012 4:14:33 PM
I'm a biological paent of a disabled child and whe we found we couldn't have more children my now ex husband and I adopted three more boys over the next 7 ys. All four of my sons have special needs; the oldest was born two months early. AJ has cerebral palsy, mental retardation, is visually impaired, severe speech delays, has sensory integration disorder and mental health issues related to ADHD. My first adopted child TR has ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome, high functionig autism. He is at high risk for mental illness as both birth parents had moderate to severe mental issues. He has some supports in school but is doing well in maistream classes. My second adopted child, TM, was born addicted to cocaine thanks to his crack addict mother. She walked out of the hospital and left him while he was suffering withdrawal. He has behavioral issues, PDD, ODD and ADHD. He is doing well in mainstream classes with some supports and is very active in sports. He barely talks to me and I couldn't hug him unless he was hogtied but occasionally he will do something I can interpret as positive towards me. My third adopted son, DP, is a year younger than #2 and was drug exposed early in his mother's pregnancy but was spared being born addicted due to her incarceration. He was born a few weeks premature and has PDD, ODD and ADD along with depression. He also is maistreamed with supports and has made great progress in the last two years academically. Two years ago I moved our family out to a small village outside Toledo Ohio and the difference being in a smaller school system with more individual attention has made a big change in the way all the boys approach school.

As for me, making sure they get to activities and appointments has taken its toll on my personal life. I was divorced in 2003 and had a committed relationship for several years but that ended in 2009. I've been on my own with the kids ever since. It's hard, no doubt there, some days I wish things were different, but then my boys wouldn't be the people they are, and I happen to love those people more than life itself. My oldset will be in school one more year, he'll be 21 this fall, the other three are teenagers and are going though all that teenage angst stuff, but without them my life wouldn't be anything like it is. I would love to date, but they come first. And I'm ok with that.
 RD71
Msg: 156
Posted: 9/28/2012 11:13:53 PM
I found this forum 7 years too late. : (
 Tigerlily696
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2013 5:40:19 PM
Hello I came across this tread. I know it's dated awhile ago but I have a daughter and son with disabilities. Feels like I'm on a desert island most times trying to find the right connection..;). Just wanted to say hello ...and hopefully meet others
 Squibie
Msg: 158
Posted: 5/29/2013 3:16:47 PM
Hi

I feel for you. I have been a single parent of a soon to be 21 year old son with Autism. His dad is a Disneyland dad ( says he loves him, wants to help, around for a fun outing) but never around to help him or give me a break. I have been blessed with lot of "on the job training" by top professionals and would love to connect with you and share all I know if you think it cold make your life easier.

Bless you for loving your son, don't give up!
Holle
 girlinrtn
Msg: 159
Posted: 7/16/2013 1:21:58 AM
Yes, I have a son that is autistic and mr, he is 19, and I love him with all of my heart. It is a challege taking care of and raising a child with disabilities. It is also a challenge trying to date, the men I have met wanted to run when they found out the responsibility I have. I have been praying for the right one to come alone for quite some time now, but I haven't gotten an answer yet. I know God answers everything in his own time, on time and I know he hears and cares, you just have to keep the faith that the right person is out there.
 NHGAL48
Msg: 160
Posted: 10/13/2013 6:33:24 AM
I have a son who is 15 that has Downs Syndrome. I love him with all my heart, but dating is a nightmare. As soon as I tell my dates about my son, they run the other way. Where are all the nice guys?
 hartz1111
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 3:00:38 PM
Hello my name is Barb and I am a single parent of a beautiful 6 year old girl. Who's name is Raychel She has cersely parsley and is learning everyday with it. I love her very much but it makes me sad when she gets frustrated with herself because she is now aware of her limits. I also am very frustrated with daycares that say they can take her then a few months later tell me I have to find a new daycare , I m not sure with anyone else but daycare has been my biggest struggle. It makes me sad when this happens because I feel I m failing as her mother always changing daycares. I know it is hard for both of us with changes and being on a scehladar help her understand what going on and what to do. Is there any help out there. My daughter was born at 24 weeks old she was 1 pound 6 and a half oz.
 ganho2
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2015 3:19:59 PM

I have a son who is 15 that has Downs Syndrome. I love him with all my heart, but dating is a nightmare. As soon as I tell my dates about my son, they run the other way. Where are all the nice guys?

Can one ask why the guys are not nice when they make a conscious decision not to date you when you tell them of your son and the extra responsibilities that requires of you when they are looking for a new prospective dating partner? There after all a plethora of fishes in the pond?

I raised 2 daughters who were very competitive in sports where both received scholarship offers. As we lived outside the main centres it required significant time commitments to assist in their endeavours. More than 1 suggested I either give them more time or they would move on to a non custodial father who was not soo involved in their children’s lives.

I never saw that as being not nice woman. Just woman who knew what they wanted in a prospective partner and would not accept less than that.

Now with both daughters doing engineering degree’s...my time is now mine alone.

But you do have a great profile very honest and heartfelt...yet no mention of your son?
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 163
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:41:52 PM
^^^^ She posted that comment almost two years ago. She can hope for a good “nice” man without criticism from you.

Having two children in competitive sports who went on to earn engineering degrees hardly compares to raising a child with Down Syndrome.

And she didn’t ask for a profile review two years ago, either.
 shampoogirl29
Msg: 164
Posted: 8/6/2015 6:24:00 PM
I am single too. One son with autism n another son has no,autism.
 shampoogirl29
Msg: 165
Posted: 8/6/2015 6:26:37 PM
I have son with autism,n another son,who is normal. I love kids with down sydrome.
 antirepublican
Msg: 166
Posted: 8/9/2015 6:56:04 AM
To the one widow who posted recently, my heart goes out to you. You were dealt a very tough hand. I have no idea what life was like with your husband but at least you had one. That says something good about you.

The rest are lying in a bed of their own making. The man most likely to be accepting of your child would have been his bio father. You either drove him away or never connected with him in the first place.

This isn't an endorsement for marriage or any of that nonsense. It just isn't a good idea to alienate the one man who might extend himself for your child or offer you a helping hand. If you deemed him useless then that is on you too. You could have picked someone else to breed with.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 167
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:01:48 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^Wow....... Now you're on threads to pick on mothers of disabled children.
Does BA know this....why would she choose to befriend someone with your character.

You could have picked someone else to breed with

Just astounding.....your outlook on life and people....or should I say "women".
 antirepublican
Msg: 168
Posted: 8/9/2015 9:59:49 AM

Does BA know this....why would she choose to befriend someone with your character.

She does and she also knows that I admire her for this very reason. She is no longer with the father of her children. Still, she did not drive him away. She encourages him. She treats him well. As a result, she and her kids can depend on him. They aren't a couple any more but they are all a family as close as any.
 AhMazingMom4U
Msg: 169
Posted: 12/12/2015 5:32:07 PM
I have a little boy with Spina Bifida. Unfortunately (lol) there is absolutel NO drama in my life of any kind. We're a pretty happy duo, but it's a LOT of work to shoulder by oneself.
 pro100pk2
Msg: 170
Posted: 12/16/2015 12:17:31 AM
The children are hard to walk on a date
Of course if you are a responsible parent
 pbone36
Msg: 171
Posted: 12/21/2015 11:31:17 PM
I'm a single dad with an eleven year old non verbal autistic son , as soon as I mention him because woman ask before meeting about my profile and that it says I have children, right after I let them know about my son and his autism, I get ghosted , never hear from them again, love my boy far more than I could any lady so ya ......nice gals out there on pof ( that's sarcasm)
 pro100pk2
Msg: 172
Posted: 1/12/2016 5:51:29 AM
single dads
difficult to bring up children
 oceangal29
Msg: 173
Posted: 4/17/2016 7:31:33 AM
I know the feeling. I am a single parent of an adult autistic son.
 md21157
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2016 2:32:32 PM
I have 2 year old with DS and she is the best!
 Devonation71
Msg: 175
Posted: 1/14/2017 2:03:15 PM
I've been seeing lately a long time friend, it's becoming more lately. Her youngest is non verbal autistic and a couple independence issues. I think she's a wonderful kid and I look forward to being a part of her development. I think once you realize kids that are different are still just as human you really don't see a difference, their just kids who need upbring and care. As a side note it's nice to have found someone out in the real world. These dating sites blow! All of them!
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >