Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > pictureless profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aj7125
Msg: 51
pictureless profilesPage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
^^^^^That's all good except most won't email someone without a pic. If the woman is like the above examples, probably she needs to email first and send a pic in the email. Other then that, good luck!
 petula1908
Msg: 52
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/15/2015 8:25:05 PM
forumfella

browsing at our goodies is one thing, sending perverted sleazy messages is another. A true gentleman does not stoop that low, get it? If you saw a girl at a bar displaying cleavage, would you go up to her and make suggestive remarks? I can imagine the reaction, if you did.
 This_Knight_Is_On_A_Quest
Msg: 53
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 1:39:18 PM
Many people do not put up pictures. And most do. Is not having a pic posted worse than having an out-dated pic (i.e. one easily identified here on POF by virtue of the POF logo inserted in the 'old days'). Why do folks post out-dated pics of themselves?? Or how about the 'professional' 'glamour' shots - I don't know about you, but I always wonder what the person looks like in everyday life (e.g. check out the pics of movie stars or models - with and without makeup... BOY, I sure never appreciated what a person could do with makeup...). How many online daters have gone to first meets with a picture in mind from a profile pic and the person who turns up turns out to be completely different? [Be honest here.]
What is in a picture??

When it comes to a relationship, are you not more interested in a person's character than their appearance? If you are more concerned about appearance, why are you looking on POF? This online dating site strikes me as a website for 'ordinary people'. The glamourous types would be better off on paid sites which favour more 'discriminating' types of people. So... if you are one who cares about character, why do you insist on a photo being posted?

Down the line, if one is going to meet someone, just make sure it is done in a safe place. I met a gal a couple of weeks ago in a coffee shop - neither of us had posted pictures. While it was not meant to be for us, she had related how she had met her ex on POF many years before, so she knew what online-dating was all about.

Personally, I do not think you can tell much about a person from looking at a photo. Some people are photogenic; many are not. Looking at a pic might give a 'first impression', but in no way is it the real person.

Nothing beats getting off the chair, going out and actually meeting the person in real life. Check out the success stories here on POF to read about how people do come together. So very often it has nothing to do with a person's looks!
 gtomustang
Msg: 54
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 2:04:35 PM
Since there are no old timers here :), I'll let you know how it was done in the old days--you grabbed a certain weekly newspaper, and there'd be a list of "M seeking W" and "W seeking M" and there'd be two sentences of description, and it was up to you to call a $2.95 phone number to type in the 5 digit number at the end of the ad, and leave a message.

no photos.

If someone's worried about being caught in a photo b/c they're a celebrity in town, where are we going on a date? Personally, when I've done the "no picture" thing, in newspapers and here, I was...um...disappointed. Tho I did date two women with "glamour" airbrushed photos--one was hotter than the photo, the other wasn't.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 55
view profile
History
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 2:24:25 PM
Meh. I'll write to men without photos. I've seen profiles with fuzzy pics. Some who are still using old POF photos with the POF logo on them. One insulted me because he misunderstood a simple question I asked saying no wonder I'm still looking, yet he's one with the old POF logo on his photo. People use old or fuzzy photos, and people lie. It's h3ll in here regardless, photos or not.
 south_city
Msg: 56
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 3:05:50 PM

Personally, I do not think you can tell much about a person from looking at a photo. Some people are photogenic; many are not. Looking at a pic might give a 'first impression', but in no way is it the real person.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I had dates with women that had mediocre photos of themselves. But looked better when I saw them face to face. Having said that, sometimes pictures can reveal a trait that is a visual dealbreaker for another person. Whether it's obesity, hairstyle / facial hair, tattoos etc.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 57
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 5:22:16 PM
I don't message or reply to no picture profiles...or terrible ones (like way far away and unable to make out, sun glasses in every pic, way way too blurry)
Having every picture a bad one irritates me the way their/there/they're annoys others.
 petula1908
Msg: 58
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 7:50:53 PM
for most of us it is not okay to have no pic on a profile if we are interested in dating. but we do have the option to hide it or not. Fair enough. But expect your chances to be very limited, for actual meets. Some people can tell a lot by a pic and you do get a general impression. If someone cannot be bothered to load a clear current shot, then what does that say about them? Cameras are cheap and everywhere. Of course nothing is real until you meet but I would need a general idea of what to expect.

There is nothing to stop you showing pics of your boat, your house, your pets, your mates, or your car. Just a waste of space in most cases.

Typically men are more likely to contact a woman without pics but then would need to see them sooner or later on some form of media, surely. As for meeting up without seeing an image, that is a real blind date and what are the chances you will like what you see?? Or vice versa??
 petula1908
Msg: 59
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 8:12:10 PM
fullmoonguy

With these plenty of live meets you have had with no pics upfront, I am assuming that you showed her an image somewhere along the way before you met and vice versa?? Sure having pics up is no guarantee of deception or lies but it must cut your chances way down not to show an image initially. Because we do wonder why and then just pass by. Obviously not everyone but most, I would assume.

As for the old lame excuse of being a high profile person etc. and not showing a pic, then if you are ashamed to be on a dating site, then do not do it. There is no stigma anymore with dating site meets, at least with those who are progressive and broadminded.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 60
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/16/2015 8:21:47 PM

When it comes to a relationship, are you not more interested in a person's character than their appearance?

I'm interested in the entire package, which encompasses both a person's character as well as their appearance. I am allowed that, right?

I disagree. My S/O is not photogenic and looks better in person---yet I could still tell from his match photos that he had a nice smile, good skin, and a full head of hair.

Having said that, sometimes pictures can reveal a trait that is a visual dealbreaker for another person. Whether it's obesity, hairstyle / facial hair, tattoos etc.

Not only sometimes, but often. That's why I wouldn't meet a man without a picture. I didn't believe in wasting his time, nor mine.
 WhoamI_46
Msg: 61
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 4:20:32 AM
I for one, don't have a public picture on my profile. Because I work with the public, and this is my private life.

I do have private photos, which I will send to potentials through messages. That is my choice. It saves me from having to put up with rude and perverted emails from people who wouldn't contact you otherwise. I used to have a picture, learned my lesson.

If people are hiding something, hiding their picture is not going to change if they are married, obese etc. How many times have people fallen for a picture only to be disappointed with the meet?

I know people don't agree with it, but I for one prefer to have the private settings. It gives me more choice with who I communicate with.
 antirepublican
Msg: 62
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 6:21:36 AM
I have a different reason. I don't want to be part of the POF perp walk that pops up when people go to their inbox. I have a web cam. I'll squeeze off a fresh one whenever someone is interested enough to ask. But no. I'm not going to join the POF sex offender registry.
 Cdan1957
Msg: 63
view profile
History
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 6:47:01 AM
I did contact people without pictures, return email from women without pictures. My rule was to never meet them unless I saw a picture. Like wise I would never meet anybody unless they saw a current picture of me. I try to limit the looks of shock in the first 5 seconds of meeting somebody. However, I also realize that people would rather not have friends, family or clients coming up to them and saying "Hey, I saw your profile". So, initial contacts were ok but no meetings unless I have an idea what they look like and I would ask for a picture immediately.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 64
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 7:48:41 AM
We also have State's Attorneys/criminal defense lawyers who have profiles without pics.

In our county, folks in high-risk positions like this are able to keep their home address listings and names off of public access sites like our property appraiser's website.

There are good reasons for not having pictures.
 gtomustang
Msg: 65
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:37:04 AM
Label me a wimp, but I'm not interested in dating someone in a high risk position is gonna show up for the first date packin' heat (oh, did we discuss this in a prior post somewhere? Its always hard to tell). so, if them not having a photo up filters out people like me....mission accomplished, right?

as for people coming up to you and saying, "geez didn't I see you once on a free dating site?"...I ironically pulled that on someone this summer (I also saw another woman I recognized from here, but she was with her daughter). no, it wasn't my opening line, but it was pretty easy to tell from her profile she was "brassy" enough to handle such honesty. We had a nice long conversation in a public rose garden...and that's it. we hit it off well enough, but there was a reason she hadn't answered my emails from here (pretty sure she didn't even remember me). Looks matter.

in this age of computers, there may likely be a real reason why someone has no photo. right or wrong, that lack of photo may filter out people who won't be a good match.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 66
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 9:42:31 AM
^^^Yeah, it can be fun ... sometimes. People here ... I'm recognized a lot and I've heard, "Wow, you actually look like your pictures ... " more than once. Imagine the shock.

I used to run out of the house with little thought as to what I looked like. Yeah. Not much anymore.

I had a guy carrying one night ...

Flippin' POF.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 67
view profile
History
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 5:16:12 PM
Solely on here for the forums.
Have not met anyone, nor would I until I do post images.
Mostly, I have a deep and abiding preference for anonymity - no image insures that need.

Those women who have written commenting on something I posted or my profile were pleasantly welcomed but nothing more than messaging. I've met women from Boston, Canada (it's all the same isn't it?), Washington, Missouri, and a few others. All good, all fun. Well, all except one - she got nasty!

TK
 Jarod50
Msg: 68
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 5:59:08 PM
Those kinds of people would be far & few on websites like POF. I can understand someone having a high public profile and concerned about the status quo, but people like that are earning good $'s and can afford the expense of "upper class" dating sites. Plenty out in cyberspace, use your fav search engine to find them.

Overall, I agree with most folks on here that not having a recent clear photo of at least your face with nothing covering it is part of the minimum for online dating success, that old adage that 'looks' do matter still applies in the modern world. To those who think it's 'shallow' to believe and act like that, well tough luck, we live in a world where first impressions DO matter. Similar to a job interview in that regard. Men in particular are visual creatures, part of our evolutionary past but that's another topic.

There are plenty of applicants all over the web on dating sites, and if your profile doesn't cut it with an interested potential, stats show that profiles with pics get more responses. then its very simple to move on to the next one etc..so its very competitive, that's obvious.

We only get one shot to make a good impression, use it wisely...

My above post was aimed at "CuriousinDB". (this forums posting mechanics are fragile! I get a message saying anything I post can't be edited but then the edit option is shown...)
 CTRLvector
Msg: 70
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 7:10:35 PM
No pictures = busted or hiding something.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 71
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 7:45:55 PM

When I was single and looking, I would not contact men without a photo. There were plenty of others to choose from that did have photos. I also didn't like the idea of being contacted by men who were judging me based on my looks, but wouldn't extend me the same courtesy.

Pretty much. If you can't post a photo, you're not ready for OLD. I'd be totally fine with a selfie if the person doesn't feel comfortable going around asking people to take a full body photo of them for POF.
 matthew83co
Msg: 72
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/17/2015 8:48:40 PM

Hands up all those who would contact someone actually looking to date, has a profile up but no pictures upfront?
Excluding the obviously married looking for an affair, would it all raise a red flag to you?

If the individual does not have a picture, it's probably one of the following scenarios:

a) A social experiment to see how many responses the profile will get.
b) An attached individual who is avoiding exposure.
c) An individual who does not own a phone with picture-taking capabilities which means they do not pay for anything they need in life and use a public library computer.
d) An individual who is paranoid.
e) An individual who undergoing divorce and doesn't want potentially incriminating evidence to arise.
f) An individual who still believes it is 1885 and is awaiting the photograph plates to develop before sending them in to Walgreens for development, scanning, and eventual submission.
g) A Nigerian cat fishing scheme.
h) A other country of origin cat fishing scheme.
i) A computer illiterate person who thinks finding the picture folder on a computer is more difficult that choosing who to vote for in the Presidential elections.
j) Someone who is scouting out the site before setting up a complete profile with pictures.
h-z) Anything I didn't mention...
 WhoamI_46
Msg: 73
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/18/2015 6:12:12 AM
^^^^^
none of those reasons apply to me. This makes my life easier, and gives me more choice as to what is out on the internet. I make a fine salary, yet do not have a phone that can take pictures, again, a choice.

I think sometimes people become so jaded by what is normal and what isn't. Just because this is OLD doesn't mean what works for one, works for another. I do get emails from some very nice gentleman that have something to say other than "hey baby".

Yes there are married ones, criminals, something to hide, but in the end the truth will prevail. A picture is a picture and nothing is going to change that.

I don't have a problem sending a private picture to potentials. Again this works for me, not everyone, but to have a negative reaction to why people don't have public pics is making it sound like everyone either has to join the real world or you are just so yesterday. This is an avenue I use to meet people, not my life. So much negativity.
 south_city
Msg: 74
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/18/2015 6:38:37 AM

I'd be totally fine with a selfie if the person doesn't feel comfortable going around asking people to take a full body photo of them for POF.

I don't mind selfies either. But almost any type of photo can be a dealbreaker to someone. I have seen profiles that state "I'm not interested in anyone that has a selfie". Photos that include cars, members of the opposite sex, alcohol, pets, dead animals, sunglasses etc are also dealbreakers to some people. Largely because of broad assumptions that are made based of said photos.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 75
pictureless profiles
Posted: 2/18/2015 6:38:55 AM
Jarod50:

Those kinds of people would be far & few on websites like POF.

Would they now? Let me see where you live. Tasmania.

I live in Daytona Beach, FL, where POF has pretty much cornered the market. No idea what's going on where you live. Anyone wants to meet anyone here, even socially, is on POF. Yep.

I can understand someone having a high public profile and concerned about the status quo, but people like that are earning good $'s and can afford the expense of "upper class" dating sites. Plenty out in cyberspace, use your fav search engine to find them.

Really? How many have you tried?

My friends and I have tried quite a few. Not a fraction of the number of folks that we have on POF locally and a lot of hassle with scammers and, in my case, more "weirdos" than we have here.

I have no problem with pictureless profiles.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > pictureless profiles