Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 76
view profile
History
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I'm a classic case of "use it or lose it".
My writing skills were much better years ago when I wrote more often. :/
 MeMeMeatlast
Msg: 77
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Bladder ?
Posted: 2/18/2015 8:58:52 AM
People who spell " LOSER " .... " looser "
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 78
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Sphincter?
Posted: 2/18/2015 9:02:43 AM
Haha - that one's been bothering me for about a week now.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 79
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Sphincter ?
Posted: 2/18/2015 9:16:46 AM
Saying you're Scotch instead of Scottish.

Adamneve is not 1 person.

Having 1 wife is called monogamy, not monotony, but the experience could indeed be monotonous.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/18/2015 11:45:33 AM
Yeah, drives me nuts when people say elemnopee when singing
the alphabet instead of l m n o p. I usually laugh at text speak...
takes me forever to text because I use the entire word with
punctuation.

I know lots of people that can't spell to save their life...but they
still have a great vocabulary.

I've found as I've gotten older, I've started using words that are
words but don't sound like sensible words in the proper context.
Lossless and lossy are my new favorites. While I might use them
at work, it's more fun to use them out in public and appear stoopid.

It's always best to be underestimated...at least in my opinion.
People who need to know, know what there is to know about me.

People might pass me over because of the way I sometimes speak
or how I write, but I'm okei with it. There really are worse traits to have.
 Forte31599
Msg: 81
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?
Posted: 2/18/2015 12:07:51 PM
Perfectly justifiable. My son is part of the texting generation and yet he writes to me with perfect grammar, every time. As do I. You should expect the same from anybody you might consider as a suitor.
 daynadaze
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2015 12:08:03 PM
Scotch is an adjective meaning "of Scotland". The modern usage in Scotland is Scottish or Scots, and the word "Scotch" is only applied to specific products, mostly food or drink, such as Scotch whisky, Scotch pie, Scotch broth, and Scotch eggs. "Scotch" applied to people is widely considered pejorative in Scotland, reflecting old Anglo-Scottish antagonisms, but it is still occasionally used in England, though the usage is considered old-fashioned [1] and Ireland, and is in common use in North America.

The verb to scotch is unrelated to the adjective. It derives from Anglo-French escocher meaning "to notch, nick", from coche, "a notch, groove", extended in English to mean "to put an abrupt end to", with the forms "scotched", "scotching", "scotches". For example: "The prime minister scotched the rumours of her illness by making a public appearance." Also, in the traditional children's game of "hopscotch", known as "peevers" in Scotland, it refers to the lines one hops over.

The above is from Wiki, so take as you will.

I know my mother has always told me that we are (on her side) Irish, English, German, French and Scotch Irish, according to Wiki Scotch-Irish is only used in America, the meaning is that same but in Scotland now they hardly ever use the term Scotch or Scotch Irish, they just say Scottish. So Scotch is not actually wrong, it's just an archaic usage.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/18/2015 4:39:40 PM
^^^
I'm err on the side of a mother's wisdom :)
 cooldog65
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2015 9:03:04 AM
I've seen well written profiles or posts that spell out long words, but use "u" or "ur". What is the point of saving 2 letters when you've written that much already? Annoying.
 Maleman999
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/19/2015 3:14:32 PM
Is a pet peeve like a pet rock? What makes a peeve a pet?
 arwen52
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2015 10:16:07 PM
I'm with you, OP. Here's my take: if a guy can't put together a halfway decent sentence, then we probably aren't going to be a good match. Either he is not that bright or he's incredibly lazy. It's the written equivalent of a slovenly appearance. If you want a total stranger to give you attention, you need to be worth paying attention to.

I can forgive the occasional typographical error and a guy doesn't have to be Shakespeare, but they ought to have something interesting to say and say it decently. If they don't . . . we probably would not have gotten very far anyway.
 loveisatemple
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/6/2015 11:52:03 PM
How can you relax your standard unless you text speak? It is not a matter of snobbery, really.

Either people want to make a semblance of effort in being understood, or they demand others make all the effort in making sense of their gibberish.
 Strings6
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2015 3:55:04 AM
Just another way to judge people without knowing them,i have never seen the full list of all the rules of proper grammar and spelling but I suspect is it is a long one and that most people break more than one on a daily if not hourly basis.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2015 4:28:29 AM
I am more comfortable with writing than I am with speaking.
I had to write various reports and analysis over the years.

Strangely, poor spelling and grammar doesn't bother me. Though I admit to using trying to use proper punctuation and spelling even when I text.
However, if a person asks me to proofread something they wrote, such as a cover letter or some other type of business correspondence, I hope they don't take it personally if I end up making a lot of corrections. I am polite about it. The best way to check prose for flow is to actually read it out loud.

I am a far from gifted orator, so as long as I understand what someone is trying to convey to me, I tend to overlook spelling and grammar mistakes.

This post probably has some grammatical and spelling errors, so I can't judge too harshly.

However, some text-speak, combined with poor spelling does stop me in my tracks at times.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/7/2015 5:53:38 AM
I refuse to lower my standards.

Not only must she have no children, but she better know proper grammar, boobs or not!
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/7/2015 7:24:43 AM
I occasionally send someone a message correcting their spelling when an error is so grotesque that it will probably prevent anyone from messaging them. One example was a headline saying "Looking for intelligance".

It's kind of a thankless job; they generally correct the error, but rarely express appreciation for my help. Such is the life of a martyr, I suppose D:
 Never_in_Life
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/7/2015 7:44:50 AM

Not only must she have no children, but she better know proper grammar, boobs or not!

I'm with you. but slightly different.
Not only can she have children, but she better have proper boobs, grammar or not!
 Maleman999
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/7/2015 7:49:41 AM

One example was a headline saying "Looking for intelligance".

That's ridiculous. Everybody know the proper spelling is "In Tella Gents".
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/7/2015 5:13:36 PM

I'm with you, OP. Here's my take: if a guy can't put together a halfway decent sentence, then we probably aren't going to be a good match. Either he is not that bright or he's incredibly lazy. It's the written equivalent of a slovenly appearance. If you want a total stranger to give you attention, you need to be worth paying attention to.

I see Arwen52 and I have the same take on this. It's not the bad spelling or grammar so much as the lack of interest in trying to get it right - and the mindset these days that it's to be excused because well, they just don't feel like trying.

When I was a kid it was kind of shameful to speak or write poorly. People actually worried about this and tried to hide it or got help to get around it socially and publicly for fear of being judged as stupid. Imagine that!
 Demidar
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/7/2015 5:32:29 PM
At this point in my life I see no reason to relax my standards for any reason . Most likely I will finish my time alone and that is fine with me . Not willing to do the drama , etc , any more .
 Cynderella
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2015 8:06:29 PM
I can only speak for myself and say at one point in my life I refused to write. My spelling was and is ugly to say the least. I would get stuck and find a new word instead which left my writing/poems empty and plain...
Thanks God for spell check or I would never find a date!
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/8/2015 7:06:39 AM

I can only speak for myself and say at one point in my life I refused to write. My spelling was and is ugly to say the least. I would get stuck and find a new word instead which left my writing/poems empty and plain...
Thanks God for spell check or I would never find a date!

You could send me a message that looked like it was typed out using your nose while you were blindfolded, and I'd still date you.
 cooldog65
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2015 8:00:21 AM
^^^^^ Ain't that the truth Pig! That was classic!

The B.C. women...Ahhh...
 Cynderella
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2015 3:38:09 PM
Awe You two Gentleman just made this Lady's day...you got me blushing.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 100
Posted: 3/9/2015 12:20:40 AM

Ain't that the truth Pig!

The truth indeed.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?