Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MsMicki
Msg: 125
view profile
History
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Should You Relax Your Standards? No, yes, who cares. If you relax your standards, you will get more dates but also more crappy dates. If you don't relax your standards, you get fewer dates, but quality ones, the ones that your standards allow for selection.

Your choice. Standards -- good dates, few, relaxed standards -- many dates, but they are generally more crappy.

So....because someone isn't a good speller....it will automatically be a crappy date?

Hmmmm......think I'll stick with how someone treats me when judging the date!!
 deepthoughtlighthumour
Msg: 126
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?
Posted: 3/21/2015 12:50:15 AM

So....because someone isn't a good speller....it will automatically be a crappy date?

You got me there, Micky... wanna go for coffee?

Even God spelled badly... "Gospel" for "Good Spell"... and I'm sure He'd make an excellent date.

Let's aks Mary, she knows.
 deepthoughtlighthumour
Msg: 127
Posted: 3/21/2015 12:55:16 AM
Woman in Progress, thanks for agreeing... wanna go for coffee?

(Please don't get a cow. I know I'm your grandfather's age, but I'm local to southwestern Ontario, and I'm stuck here. So most of what I say is in jest or in banterism.)
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 128
Posted: 3/21/2015 1:35:25 AM

Should You Relax Your Standards? No, yes, who cares. If you relax your standards, you will get more dates but also more crappy dates.

Or maybe you end up on a lot of fun dates, and come to the realization that maybe you were a hard ass over really stupid shit for no good reason.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 129
Posted: 3/21/2015 5:36:53 AM
Well if the date is spent passing notes back and forth rather than talking :/
I run with someone who has English as a second language.. we manage
 deepthoughtlighthumour
Msg: 130
Posted: 3/21/2015 9:39:24 AM

Well if the date is spent passing notes back and forth rather than talking :/
I'd run with someone who has English as a second language.. we'd manage

I had a date like that once. You know, passing notes. It was a disaster.

She could not spell even one word right.

I went home fuming.

It turned out later she was writing in Simplified Traditional Chinese, and I wrote in English. She could make out only some of the words I wrote. She read them as if they were Chinese characters. I have an atrocious handwriting. At one point I asked her, on the note pad, "How's the Calamari?" and she turned beat-red, slapped me on the face and stormed out of there.

To this day I don't know what my note could have meant in STC.
 MsMicki
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2015 9:51:13 AM

Even God spelled badly... "Gospel" for "Good Spell"... and I'm sure He'd make an excellent date.

Well I would at least yell the right name during sex....
 deepthoughtlighthumour
Msg: 132
Posted: 3/21/2015 10:40:02 AM

maybe you were a hard ass over really stupid shit for no good reason.

Thanks for the compliments!!!

hard azz == buns of steel.
Stupid shoot = you just doubled my IQ.
good reason = papa Socrates' little pet I must be.

I think I am so relaxed that I could meet anyone's standards today.

Today I'm the lowest common denominator.

Everyone has his or her 15 minutes.
 iamconstipated
Msg: 133
Posted: 4/3/2015 6:30:23 AM
It could be that as many on the free sites are writing you from Nigeria.
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 134
Posted: 4/8/2015 4:39:30 PM
There is no way I could date someone with bad grammar. Lately my grandson, who spends half of his time with his father, has started the "I seen a big dog at my dad's house" I have to correct him every time.

My most recent relationship just barely ended. He was an English teacher in a middle school for over 20 years. I always asked him to correct me if my grammar was wrong. I thought I had pretty good grammar but the ones that got me were
"another." So many people say that's a whole nuther story. I have since corrected myself. Another would be
"where's the keys?" It is where are the keys?

I wish I could post the Weird Al song Called Word Crimes. It's hilarious.
 DeepakTolle
Msg: 135
My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Sphincter ?
Posted: 4/8/2015 4:43:02 PM

Mine is when people say " should OF " or " would OF " instead of the CORRECT " should've " , " would've " or " should HAVE " , " would HAVE "

It's mind boggling how many people do this

I know right ?
 forums1
Msg: 136
Posted: 4/9/2015 9:32:05 PM
For all intensive purposes it shouldn't matter whether they'd of learnt things in skool, you should except them for who they our. Proper grammer and speling aren't important in life anymore.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 137
Posted: 4/9/2015 9:35:40 PM
forums1...you have pushed me over the brink with that post! Aaaaccckk!
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2015 9:51:35 PM
The "Ebonics" dialect grates on me. I cannot speak it; I can barely listen to it. It takes an individual's IQ down by at least 50 points, and most people cannot afford to lose 10 IQ points, let alone 50.
 forums1
Msg: 139
Posted: 4/9/2015 10:12:26 PM
Being an "IT guy" since the 80s, I can certainly tolerate the occasional misspelling, especially when it comes to texting/IM when it's more "stream of consciousness" type back and forth. Even in emails the occasional spelling mistake doesn't phase me (and I've noticed with the rise of 'smart' phones a lot of stuff gets 'auto-corrected' to an entirely wrong word even though you understand what they were trying to say).

But when it comes to a profile, a pile of spelling and grammar mistakes is a 'peeve' of mine - I mean, would you send a resume full of spelling and grammatical errors to a prospective employer expecting to get hired? In the same way your online dating profile is your 'face to the world', at least spell check it and try to make it readable. I've seen some horrible profiles over the years on here that just make you wonder - if they can't even put the effort into their initial presentation in a profile, how much effort are they going to put into a relationship?
 SLAFFA
Msg: 140
Posted: 4/9/2015 10:44:15 PM
Undoubtedly, lowering your standards would increase your odds here or any other site. How many mistakes are too many or what qualifies as egregious?

And for what ever it is worth, I would be a rich man if I had a nickel for every female profile I have seen on various sites that used the word women to refer to themselves, I would be a rich man. I am speaking of otherwise "intelligent" women with "well written" profiles here. "I am a beautiful, caring women" etc. All I can figure is that they posted under the influence and have never given another thought to their profile?

Feel better now?
 throttle_junkie
Msg: 141
Posted: 4/10/2015 8:07:10 PM
Unfortunately there are many who are addicted to texting and using their phones as internet devices and those little keys can make someone look pretty silly, also the "txt speak" style of abbreviating is unfortunately getting pretty common.

As far as the message you received goes, I doubt that guy can use "txt speak" as an excuse and to me at least it's a turn off.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2015 3:42:39 PM
Illiterate men seem to want to "friend" me on Facebook, and send me messages on other dating sites. I don't know which is worse.......them....or the Nigerians and other foreigners/scammers/bullshitters who write sickly sweet "love letters" to complete strangers.

When I see either, I can't hit the "delete" key fast enough.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 143
Posted: 4/14/2015 4:02:33 PM

The "Ebonics" dialect grates on me. I cannot speak it; I can barely listen to it. It takes an individual's IQ down by at least 50 points, and most people cannot afford to lose 10 IQ points, let alone 50.

Amen. For some reason I get a lot of that. And these are guys in their 30s-50s. To me that's just crazy. 20s I can see, you're trying to act cool - but 30 and up? Yes. Makes me cringe. And makes them come across as unintelligent, no matter how smart they may be. No thanks.
 bryincalgary
Msg: 144
Posted: 4/15/2015 10:42:29 AM
What forums1 and throttle jockey said.Some normal people have atrocious text spelling.If you see the speed some people are capable of it makes sense.And we won't mention texting and driving.
 Demidar
Msg: 145
Posted: 4/22/2015 5:58:21 AM
I do not expect women to lower their standards but they shouldn't expect men to lower their standards either . Looking at these forums one would think only women's standards are taken into account . To many double standards have been created to drive wedges between the genders , it is unfortunate . Used to be men and women worked together as a team , now it is more like opposing teams .
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/22/2015 7:41:17 AM
It's not a matter of "lowering standards." It's a matter of re-evaluating your approach to getting your standards met. If you have supposedly high standards and you end up only meeting "the wrong people," then either your standards aren't as high as you want people to think or you are too contrary to let not getting your standards met interfere with how you select your dates.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 147
Posted: 4/22/2015 9:16:08 AM

It's not a matter of "lowering standards." It's a matter of re-evaluating your approach to getting your standards met. If you have supposedly high standards and you end up only meeting "the wrong people," then either your standards aren't as high as you want people to think or you are too contrary to let not getting your standards met interfere with how you select your dates.

Precisely. As an example, I've seen out-of-shape people demand that their dating partners be in good shape. They could always "lower their standards" and date other out-of-shape people---but it would be more feasible for them to become the type of person they’re trying to attract.
 ItsNotAlwaysArt
Msg: 148
Posted: 4/26/2015 4:58:41 AM

I am appalled by the fact that some men can't use correct spelling or string a proper grammatical sentence together if their lives depended on it!

gack..same here. I'm working on it, I get many dont know how to type, but text speak does make me nuts!

What really binds me- you get a pop up window on a website that offers "instant online help" or verbiage to that, sure- you click.
Window pops up, you say "blah blah whatever" and you can see the "support staff is typing"...this goes on for 90 seconds and then "how may I help you"
you put your reply in
another 90 seconds of them typing
"have you tried rebooting".
Sorry for going off topic, but same same in this day and age of typed communication...catch up or at least smile when you grunt and point. :)
 smilebrother
Msg: 149
Posted: 5/30/2015 7:04:09 AM
My pet peeve: chewing gum. I hate the smell, the look, and the sound. There's nothing worse than a well-dressed woman (or man in a suit, for that matter) chomping away. Occasional chewing is not a dealbreaker for me, but daily use probably is. So - just how weird does that make me, in your opinion?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > My Pet Peeve - Is It Justifiable, or Should I Relax My Standards?