Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The pope and so called selfish couples...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 74
The pope and so called selfish couples...Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Homophobia in Africa has nothing to do with Catholicism. It is ingrained in them due to typically Europeans that abused children.An uncategorized form of pedophilia,as far as I know that involves a victim of a different race.

Nope, but thanks for playing "Things Cal knows nothing about"
 Hearton64
Msg: 75
The pope and so called selfish couples...
Posted: 2/19/2015 5:26:02 AM

So westerners should have less children because
third world countries produce too many babies?

I was including westerners in the world overpopulation problem.

And the pope should not be guilt tripping people
who chose not to procreate!

It's not his place to judge or condemn according to his religion.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 76
Posted: 2/19/2015 5:31:09 AM
calguy:

@hearton

So westerners should have less children because third world countries produce too many babies?

See? Yet another problem with religion. It divides.

Seems the religious cannot see the big picture. It's all about my family/myreligion/my country/my"beliefs".

Aaarrrggghhh! Things are never going to be right on this planet before I die. Come on down, hearton, and bring your guy. We'll just forget about it all for a while.

I call it lazy brain when people who seem to be relatively intelligent just refuse to see the friggin' forest for the trees.

The Tall thread is a lot more fun than this. I'm going back there.
 littledaisymay
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2015 1:56:51 PM
This is what the Buddhists have to say about selfishness and having children:

Those who have yet to learn to be selfless will yearn to have biological children, one of the best choice of life path to learn to put others before yourself and not continue to be a self-centered person.

Those who are selfless and naturally think of others are not interested in having children. They seek out other life paths for personal growth, overcoming selfishness is just not one of them.

-----

IMO the Pope simply doesn't have the awareness yet.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/19/2015 2:11:15 PM
^^^^
Or maybe the Pope isn't a Buddhist. Since you give no source other than this is what "the Buddhists have to say" does that mean that all Buddhists support this idea?

I found this interesting, not unlike what the Pope might say -
"Family Planning
Some religions are not in favor of family planning. They say it is against the will of God. Buddhism does not interfere in this personal choice. Man is at liberty to follow any method in order to prevent conception. According to Buddhism, certain physical and mental conditions must be present for conception to take place. When any one of these conditions is absent (as when family planning is being practiced), no conception takes place, therefore a life does not come into being. But after conception, abortion is NOT acceptable in Buddhism because it means taking away a life that is already present in the form of fetus."

and this -
"Parents in Modern Society
One of the saddest things about modern society is the lack of parental love which children in highly industrialized countries suffer from. When a couple gets married, they usually plan to have a number of children. And once the child is born, parents are morally obliged to care for him to the best of their ability. Parents are responsible to see that a child is not only satisfied materially; the spiritual and psychological aspects are very important too."

and this -
"3. The third duty is to give the children a good education
A decent education is the best legacy that parents can bequeath to their children. A more valuable treasure there is not. It is the best blessing that parents could confer on their children.
Education should be imparted to them, preferably from youth, in a religious atmosphere. This has far-reaching effects on their lives."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/dhammananda/marriage.html#ch4
 robaustralia
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/19/2015 3:45:10 PM

See? Yet another problem with religion. It divides.

And so does race, politics, ethnicity,nationality and even language.

Aaarrrggghhh! Things are never going to be right on this planet before I die.

Gee, you have achieved a rare lucid moment, did you forget to take your meds?

I call it lazy brain when people who seem to be relatively intelligent just refuse to see the friggin' forest for the trees.

Now you are indulging in self praise, are your meds kicking in?

The Tall thread is a lot more fun than this. I'm going back there.

Can you please shut the door behind you?
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/19/2015 4:14:26 PM
^^^You don't have much of a sense of humor, do you, robaustralia?

I've been surprised in these forums by how conservative so many of you Aussies who happen to be here are. Where are all the fun, one-world, atheist (which is not capitalized because it is not a religion) folks I've met here and there over my lifetime and seen on TV and in the movies?

I hear all this religion; there's a poster here who calls the cops over there when someone is smoking weed. You all sound ... kinda like our crazy conservative Tea Party folks.

Just sayin'. Don't take everything so seriously.

I always thought Dudley Moore was an Aussie. I was young and hadn't thought about him for decades. I see he's a Brit. Maybe I've mistaken Brits for Aussies and thought you were the fun ones.

I'll make you happy and go now.

daynadaze
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2015 4:25:47 PM
Seems Tall has left the building again, I'm guessing he shut the door behind himself, as he muttered...I'll be back!

Since the Pope is the king of Catholics, I guess he can tell them all what to do, it's his job I think. It's when they decide they need to take over the government (any religion) that gets my back up. I find it quite interesting that the same people who think other countries with strong religious running of their governments, are so hopped up on demanding that America is a Christian Nation and use the fact that some of the founding fathers were Christians (completely glossing over that some were not). Do we really learn nothing from history?
 calguy14
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/19/2015 5:42:20 PM
^^^
The majority were always christians .This is why the U.S and Britain acheived greatness.You can't point to any other reason.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/19/2015 5:48:40 PM

The majority were always christians .This is why the U.S and Britain acheived greatness.You can't point to any other reason.

Cool story bro...

Our Founding Fathers Were NOT Christians

One of the many attacks on our country from the Religious Right is the claim that our country is a Christian Nation...not just that the majority of people are Christians, but that the country itself was founded by Christians, for Christians.

However, a little research into American history will show that this statement is a lie.

Those people who spread this lie are known as Christian Revisionists. They are attempting to rewrite history, in much the same way as holocaust deniers are.

The men responsible for building the foundation of the United States were men of The Enlightenment, not men of Christianity.

They were Deists who did not believe the bible was true. They were Freethinkers who relied on their reason, not their faith...

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html
 calguy14
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/19/2015 7:14:10 PM
@hfx
and Jefferson wrote "the power of the government is derived from the governed"
White Christians
The 1796 Treaty of Tripoli, dealing with the Barbary pirates, they wanted everything cool with the Muslims.

None of them were atheists thank God.
Founding father John Jay tried to bar catholics from holding office.Sure sounds like a Protestant to me, I would know, my maternal grandfather was one and my godfather was an Orangeman.
WASPS
 daynadaze
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2015 9:36:23 PM
Why, what horrible things do you think atheists would do to the world?
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2015 10:48:12 PM

White Christians......Founding father John Jay tried to bar catholics from holding office.Sure sounds like a Protestant to me

Yep.

The religious affilliations of most of the delegates to the Continental Congress & later the Federal Convention(the actual framers of the Constitution)were garden variety Christian Protestant, but many werent traditional Protestants, being somewhat anti-clerical. A few were unproclaimed as to affiliation, & were considered agnostic, or Deiests, or actually claimed Deist. There were only a couple of claimed Catholics.

Funny thing, there were NO Baptists, due to the fact that Rhode Island was where most Baptists resided, and Rhode Island didnt send any delegates to the convention.

There were like 55 delegates who worked to frame the Constitution. The small handful of agnostic/deists who are today's stars of the show were the minority.
 calguy14
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/20/2015 4:15:07 AM
@dayna
Hahaha, my what forgiving people aetheists are....when it comes to other aetheists.
Mao, Stalin, PolPot, Kim Il Sung, Tito, Suharto, Pavelic, Ho Chi Minh, Lenin, and arguably here at least, Hitler.

These guys get a pass, but if the pope speaks cue the the scary soundtrack.

www.patheos.com/blogs/publiccatholic/2013/03/03/aetheist-governments-of-the-20th-century-the-death-toll-of-godless-goodness/
 gtomustang
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/23/2017 5:08:50 AM
b/c justice always comes later? Or maybe celibacy and poverty vows are supposed to be punishment enough? :)
 Jo van
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/23/2017 5:47:41 AM

but he doesn't address why thousands of god preaching vicars and alike in churches have been kiddy fiddling for years.

That's why they've got 2 "popes" now. (*No Waiting!!*)
The "private pope" retired, because of his involvement in the "cover-up".
Then, there was that whole "nazi" thing...
Much better to have a completely "fresh" pope, and "draw a line under it", as politicians are fond of saying.

You know that they only wear those 'dresses', because they're faster than trousers, when they've got a trusting little 'choir-boy', kneeling in front of them, eyes closed, and mouth open, and tongue out, ready for the "sacred waffer". ("It's only one tanny waffer".)
80% of all the abuses were against little boys.
Strange really, when "god" himself preferred little girls, or "virgins", as he liked to call them....

Religions eh?
You could make it up.
And so they do.
 Maleman999
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/23/2017 6:13:16 AM
I somehow have trouble following the rules of baby breeding (gotta make future money donors) under the guidance of people who have taken a vow to never breed, or can't explain why Jesus didn't breed, even though he had followers like a rock star and could've slept with every woman around, including at least one of his followers who was a prostitute. I like to live by the rule "practice what you preach".
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/5/2017 5:35:04 PM
Seems to be quite a little battle brewing at the Vatican between Francis and his conservative opponents (as described in the article below); in his efforts to reform the church as he set out to do (re: financing practices, relaxing rules on the divorced and homosexuals, and addressing the pedophia issue).

THis kinda reminds me of the resistance that our previous POTUS was getting from the opposing party her in the US; and may very well be why the previous Pope (benedict) resigned, and perhaps why JP2 could not make any headway into such problems.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/civil-war-in-the-vatican-as-conservatives-battle-francis-for-the-soul-of-catholicism/ar-AAnNrY3?li=BBnbfcL

If Francis' character is truly what the media says it is, I won't be surprised if he too resigns (not in disgrace....but outta frsustration) to preserve his own dignity.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The pope and so called selfish couples...