Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > The importance of individual physicality.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 26
The importance of individual physicality.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

I just don't want to look like a F.

Then you problem is rooted in your reasons for wanting to look a certain way.

Because going to the gym or doing any physical activity is a healthy pursuit, but to do said things for a goal that is based on how you look, is not healthy at all.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 27
The importance of individual physicality.
Posted: 3/6/2015 11:24:56 AM

Then you problem is rooted in your reasons for wanting to look a certain way.

It doesn't seem reasonable that would cause a pain in some of the tendons in my shoulder.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/6/2015 11:31:42 AM

It doesn't seem reasonable that would cause a pain in some of the tendons in my shoulder.

That would depend on what your motivating factor for using them is.

That said, IMO your frame size is one of the contributing factors to your pain.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/6/2015 12:02:13 PM

That would depend on what your motivating factor for using them is.

That said, IMO your frame size is one of the contributing factors to your pain

Motivated to stay healthy, remain strong and flexible, in that order.

I considered it would be that anatomy of my shoulder. I would include general frame size, but I doubt frame size was important. Some machines I don't care for, mostly some types of tricep and bicep machines since they seem to be better for someone taller or with a longer forearm. Some types of LAT pulldown machines I am not heavy enough, I weight 160 and it's hard to get a weight more than 160 lbs to pull down. If have to get my knees under a bar then I won't just float up in the air rather than pull the weight down.

I think it has something to do with the way my rotator cuff, shoulder and forearm are aligned. Some positions put too much stress on a few tendons, while for some other man would do the same movement with no problem. (Of course, it could be a minor tendon/ligament injury, but I am unaware of anything I might have done to cause that type of injury.)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2015 2:41:48 PM

Motivated to stay healthy, remain strong and flexible, in that order.

You dont need to hurt yourself to do that.

Many experts agree doing physical activity more often during the day (rather than like I and some others "usually" do and get an hour to an hour and a half at once) is actually better for your health and I agree with them.

I just have the habit and am working on changing it
Recently went down in weight on biceps because of the tendon in my arm near the elbow crook was getting sore after 20 reps 3x, more and more often. Yes it tales more reps/time, but its not causing pain now and Im not shrinking.
Also making myself turn on the stereo a few min each afternoon and just move to the music.

Flexibility is extemly imp for your vessel integrity.Take a bathrobe sash and pull your feet back with knees straight and hold it every night and morning just watching the news on the floor or bed.
Bend backwards some or raise your arms and try and touch the ceiling ( as if you are)
Other stretches can be done watching the news too or just stand and walk in place to get the blood flowing.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/7/2015 7:33:43 AM

You dont need to hurt yourself to do that.

Many experts agree doing physical activity more often during the day (rather than like I and some others "usually" do and get an hour to an hour and a half at once) is actually better for your health and I agree with them.

What I used to do a short time ago started to hurt, so something chnaged.

A new study, published in BMJ Open, says you can get away with a shorter but intense workout.

The secret, researchers found while looking at data from over 10,000 people in Denmark, is sweat. No, your perspiration doesn’t have magic properties, but if you break a sweat during your workout, your body will thank you. Here's what it takes.

Specifically, he found that men who reported more than 23 hours a week of sedentary activity had a 64 percent greater risk of dying from heart disease than those who reported less than 11 hours a week of sedentary activity.

As a general goal, aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day. If you want to lose weight or meet specific fitness goals, you may need to exercise more. Want to aim even higher? You can achieve more health benefits, including increased weight loss, if you ramp up your exercise to 300 minutes a week.

I am sure you must have read similar to the above.

I have seen many variations on what is best, I am sure we will continue to see more variations.

BUT if having more than "23 hours a week of sedentary activity had a 64 percent greater risk of dying from heart disease than those who reported less than 11 hours a week of sedentary activity" is literally true, then I see no way for the majority of people to avoid more than 23 hours a week of sedentary activity,.

Note it didn't say work at a desk an hour then take a 5 minute break, you will still go over 23 hours in a week. 55 minutes x 8 hours x 4 days will put you at over 29 hours a week. I don't see how most people can avoid having more than 23 hours a week of sedentary activity.

I am not really sure how much activity I have outside of the gym. I take the dog out a couple of times a week, I go up and down the stairs in the house at least 20-30 times a day. I would need an activity tracker to really keep track.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2015 12:41:05 AM
As long as you are moving through out the day you are doing good other than your reg workouts .

I see no way for the majority of people to avoid more than 23 hours a week of sedentary activity,

If you are getting UP and doing anything you are not sedentary.
Thank goodness for dogs,parks and stairs.Do house work. Its not for wimps if you do it right.
The vacuum and dusting high will work your shoulders
Move something or just stand every hour. It makes a difference in health.

so something changed.

Yes, it has.1:We aren't young now.

Individual physicality changes with each of us for diff reasons, after the 5o's we change quite a bit even when we do the right things or things we have done for many years have to be altered in some way or stopped and do something else.
Have access to a pool?

If one area seems to be getting more vulnerable, do what you can with it. Find something else to focus on more, and the CORE is always the best place along with being flexible.

Having strong shoulders is great, but a strong core is better.
As far as your heart and more, get flexible.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/23/2015 8:52:15 PM
dragonbytes- Have you had any tests done?
If not, that is where I suggest you start.
You have to find out WHY it's painful.
Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong, NEVER ignore it or "work past the pain".
Yes, I agree that group exercise is a bad idea for someone who finds exercise painful, it makes it more likely that you will try to keep up.
Again, start by finding the source and go from there :)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/24/2015 6:57:34 PM

I notice when I try to do some exercises which put a lot of strain on my shoulders, it's painful.

The two machines that cause this are the pectoral fly machine and the incline overhead shoulder press.

So I kept trying to find a good solution for exercising my pectoral muscles, and to get rid of the pain issue. A few weeks ago, I tried doing a lot of reps, like 30 - 50 reps with a much lighter weight. I have never tried high reps low weights, but I did this on all the typical weight exercises, triceps, biceps, ext. Wow, I really had a case of DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness), much more than usual.

Yesterday I tried the pec deck with heavy weights, but adjusting if for the least shoulder extension the machine is capable of. I believe the real problem was hyperextending my arms behind my back using the pec deck.

Wow, I was shocked and very pleased I could do 15% higher weight than I have ever done before!

One goal I have had is being able to max out the weight stacks on all the nautilus machines. A few I can do that, most I cannot. I know it isn't really important or necessary. And it would be next to impossible on some machines like the nautilus nitro lat pulldown machine. I have used 160 lbs, which is difficult for me. BUT this is my weight and I also find it difficult to get the weights down enough so I can put my knees under a straining bar. I just tend to do a pullup at that point. Any heavier weight and I might need someone to pull me down into the seat. (not that I really have to use this machine, there are other ways)

I recently saw a video on how to do bench presses without a spotter. Just roll a bench into the squat cage and use the steel safety arms on the cage. If you fail to lift the weight, it will rest on the safety arms and you can roll out from underneath. I was thinking of doing that sort of exercise instead of the pec deck.

I am eager to try this. Many websites contend free weights are a superior way to weight lift.

So the good news is, my shoulder pain has 90% gone away. If I massage the joint around the rotator cuff, I can still feel a little pain, but that was after doing a lot of heavy pec exercises.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > The importance of individual physicality.