Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is there anybody that is really happy in their lives?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 87
Is there anybody that is really happy in their lives?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I wonder sometimes if striving for and coming to the point of reaching total happiness in life is a natural human state or a manufactured goal everyone is taught to try to achieve. One example is the super rich: the multi-millionaires and billionaires: If they make enough money to live very comfortably for the rest of their lives by the time they're middle-aged, why do so many spend the rest of their lives trying to make even more money-often working 15, 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, and worrying about how many more millions they will make in the next fiscal time frame? A lot of them are making deals to make even more money right up to the time they kick the bucket. They can be on their death bed, told they only have week or two left to live, but some of them will still be wheeling and dealing right up to their last breath. I guess they believe that you can take it with you. Do you think Donald Trump will starve to death if he decides to retire?

But that's pretty much the same attitude with the middle class and the rest of society. Everybody is trying to achieve more than what they already have-a constant need for more material goods and to have the latest of greatest of everything. And it's a life long goal. It would very rare to hear someone say: "I'm happy with everything I have. I will never need anything else, other than food and water." Everybody is always reaching for the proverbial brass ring, thinking the brass ring is the key to happiness.
 KingAlaskanCrabLegs
Msg: 88
Is there anybody that is really happy in their lives?
Posted: 3/28/2015 9:58:58 AM

having a loving partner completes life, each complementing the other.
 deetristate
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/28/2015 3:12:13 PM
I would venture to say that most people are pretty much in a state of contentment 75% of the time. Sure, life has us and downs and you encounter people that enjoy making others miserable (it makes them happy) but you continue to live and before you know it something nice happens, if it is no more than a bird singing, someone laughing or the sun shining at just the right angle.
 professora
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2015 1:33:17 PM
yes-- for happiness.

I give my adult students a form to fill out with two columns : My lucky vs My less than Lucky.

I show them my list. short. simple.

I have more lucky than unlucky.

:)
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/29/2015 1:34:28 PM

it's a case of having a loving partner completes life

My life was complete before I met my partner. He was the icing on the cake, so to speak. The cake tasted good without any icing---but even better with it.

By the same token, the icing tastes good on its own---but it tastes even better on the cake.
 Maleman999
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/29/2015 1:46:30 PM
The icing might taste better on a partner and licking it off.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/29/2015 2:46:27 PM

tickle_me_pank:
TNS, if you're looking for someone to "complete" you, then the subtext is that you are INCOMPLETE.

Not trying to bust your chops because there is nothing inherently wrong with wanting a partner. But the underlying premise that anyone is incomplete without one is fukked up.

I would say this depends on whether You believe in Synergy & "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" .......
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2015 4:27:31 AM
as for InnerGorilla I don't really believe him about having a hot woman, and the even hotter sex life, so it is rather sad really. Men who are really successful with women don't brag about it or talk about it in such detail to strangers on the net.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2015 4:36:25 AM
Well said Literate hiker. Putting your life in someone else's hands for your happiness is a recipe for disaster. Neediness, desperation is not at all attractive to healthy people. Putting your life on hold in case someone comes along to make you complete, is a total mistake.
 Never_in_Life
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/30/2015 5:11:23 AM
^^^I bet anything that you have never heard the phrase: "Oh look! Pank is here! Now the party can start."

Which is odd considering what a joy it must be to bask in your glow.
 cooldog65
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2015 5:38:10 AM
I'm in the middle on this. Content I suppose.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/30/2015 6:25:41 AM

^^^I bet anything that you have never heard the phrase: "Oh look! Pank is here! Now the party can start."

Which is odd considering what a joy it must be to bask in your glow.

I think she's pretty funny. She comes out with some amusing zingers from time to time:

F#ck off, turd blossom!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2015 6:36:34 AM
All I see in these posts is a bunch of people who want nothing but to be themselves and are terrified of being something else involving being in a relationship.
 Maleman999
Msg: 102
Posted: 3/30/2015 8:31:38 AM

The word for that is "co-dependent". It isn't emotionally healthy.

Does this rule also apply between people and their kids, or other family members? I've seen profiles that say "My kids are my whole life". That's emotionally unhealthy, right?

How many people, during their first go-around at love and marriage way back when, thought that the love of their life was completing them-or at least completing the need for a loving partner that would last forever? I bet a a lot of people thought that and even told people that, and could never imagine not having that person in their life, and would feel empty and broken without him/her.

What I see happening when it's round 2-plus in the dating and mating game, is people who are looking for love exactly like they had and felt in round 1, but at the same time, they put up an emotional wall, to prevent any chance of getting heart broken, like happened in the first go-around. So they are not really being themselves, but don't know how else to cope with the possibility of not getting a perfect partner that will make them permanently happy, which ends up being a self-fulling prophecy, since no one will ever be good enough who will make them feel love, exactly like they felt in their youth before finding out what falling out of love felt like.
 smilebrother
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/30/2015 4:15:30 PM
The waitress asked, “What is the meaning of life?” The Dalai Lama answered immediately. “The meaning of life is happiness.” He raised his finger, leaning forward, focusing on her as if she were the only person in the world. “Hard question is not, ‘What is meaning of life?’ That is easy question to answer! No, hard question is what make happiness. Money? Big house? Accomplishment? Friends? Or …” He paused. “Compassion and good heart? This is question all human beings must try to answer: What make true happiness?” He gave this last question a peculiar emphasis and then fell silent.
 Never_in_Life
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/30/2015 4:41:21 PM

^^^^ Oh look, someone extremely manly is taking time out of his extremely manly day to insult me personally for having an opinion he didn't like, didn't understand, and didn't want to hear.

Boo hoo, you sure told me, didn't you. I might have to sulk.

F#ck off, turd blossom!

Sorry for making you feel bad.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is there anybody that is really happy in their lives?