Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eternityboreme
Msg: 24
Autism/Aspergers doesn't exist.Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

My sons are sweet & pleasant & any sane person would prefer to be in their presence than yours. In fact, my older son seems to have better rapport/luck w/ women than you do.

Indeed -- because YOU raised them.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 25
Autism/Aspergers doesn't exist.
Posted: 3/21/2015 2:40:52 PM

Yes, they probably comprehend more than most people would imagine.

No, they are not the sweetest, most gentle people. Many have violent outbursts. They can be just as mean as regular people, probably meaner. Imagine one with special abilities, but instead of counting toothpicks, their specialty is being rude.

One of the rudest posters in this forum says she has Asperger's. Of course this doesn't prove anything, as anyone can post that they have an ailment (many scammers rake in big bucks by claiming they have cancer). She has a long history of abusive posts, usually bullying people in profile reviews and ask a girl who seem weak and vulnerable. This particular poster also hijacks threads with obsessive posts saying we need to give women even more reproductive freedom. Checkmate! Over 85% of mothers, when told their kid will probably have Down's Syndrome, choose to abort the different kid. Down's is the one condition they can identify with a specific test (chromosome). No doubt if they could identify other conditions, most mothers would kill those babies too. On the other hand, reproductive freedom lets mothers take fertility drugs, get pregnant after 35, drink, smoke, do drugs and other behavior known to cause retardation, a major factor in the all time high in the rate.

As to the claim of no cure, studies prove symptoms disappear. For example, kids with symptoms of ADD / ADHD weren't around trees, then when they got to be around trees, all the symptoms went away. No doubt animals have a similar effect as shown by stories of people opening up around animals.

Good idea by the OP to make a thread about autism which could lessen the side tracking of other threads.

I find it textbook that you, rather than eating humble pie when confronted by 2 forum women regarding your ignorance re: autism try to flip the script rather than own ur own hatred.

Some of ur posts in this genre were laughable, yes laughable, that is how ridiculous they were.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/24/2015 11:03:28 PM

There is probably a scientific name for people who suffer from an inability to recognize reality, owing to their prejudices, fears, or egos. I don't know what that term is, however.

I think the word is "bigot".
 wembley2
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/1/2016 3:12:47 PM
What do you think of this blog post by investigative journalist Jon Rappoport?

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/mental-disorders-do-not-exist/
 platypus_man
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2016 4:55:42 AM

For the ones that do believe it's a real condition, do you think it's heavily over-diagnosed

The problem becomes, the APA has expanded the definition of autism so much, that it can be applied to everyone.
 knowledgeNIgnorance
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2017 8:29:54 PM

What do you think of this blog post by investigative journalist Jon Rappoport?

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/mental-disorders-do-not-exist/

I think it is an excellent display of the art of denial
 deetristate
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/5/2017 3:45:28 AM
It gives people an excuse to medicate or treat prople who otherwise would function in society without the label. This is not to say that there aren't people who have it, but like add and adhd, many people are being included in the diagnosis that shouldn't be included because they function a bit differently. Fit in the square or get a label.
 Walts
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/5/2017 6:44:17 AM

It gives people an excuse to medicate or treat prople who otherwise would function in society without the label. This is not to say that there aren't people who have it, but like add and adhd, many people are being included in the diagnosis that shouldn't be included because they function a bit differently. Fit in the square or get a label.

Doctor D has spoken.

Now back to your rooms children.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/5/2017 8:09:44 AM

It gives people an excuse to medicate or treat people who otherwise would function in society without the label. This is not to say that there aren't people who have it, but like add and adhd, many people are being included in the diagnosis that shouldn't be included because they function a bit differently. Fit in the square or get a label.

Doctor D has spoken.

I think Dee makes a valid point here.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/5/2017 3:16:32 PM

Fit in the square or get a label.

True enough.

If you're not outgoing, gregarious, back-slapping, fit, athletic, always smiling and have a gazillion friends, well, then, there must something "wrong" with you.
 daynadaze
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2017 4:37:35 PM
Really? Did someone say if you aren't all the listed above, then you must have something wrong with you? I don't remember reading that, which post is it in?

If you had a child on the spectrum, you might have a different opinion, I've never met a doctor who was looking to attached a label to a child and then shove medication, I'm sure there are some like that, but most doctors treating these children are looking to help them. Ignoring a child who needs help is parental neglect.
 deetristate
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/6/2017 2:32:21 AM
CDC studies that can be googled found about a 10-13 percent over doagnosis.

Here a is an interesting article discussing the how and perhaps why.
https://www.vision.org/visionmedia/Interview-Gnaulati-ADHD-Autism-Overdiagnosis-85775.aspx
 daynadaze
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2017 5:50:36 PM
Oh come on Dee, seriously.
 deetristate
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/7/2017 4:55:11 AM
Yes, seriously.

Guess you couldn't find any actual substantive thing to say about the CDC studies and the article.

Cool.

Again, it doesn't mean that there are no people with it. It simply means that it is over-diagnosed.
Simple.
Why is pointing out that it is overndiagnosed a problem?

Whisky_River
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/7/2017 7:12:01 AM
I agree...I think society wants to put you in a box and label you....if you act different or are a bit too energetic etc....
I have 2 grandsons.....high energy, smart, athletic but both have been on meds to calm them down and give them a label.
Both are off now but why....is that always the first thing to do is drug them?

One of the home doctors said....a lot of teachers will push for a child that acts up to be on meds.
They want their job easier by all students sitting like zombies...
Thank goodness, there wasn't such labelling when I was young....just a sad thing to see.
Just saying...they need to be careful on being so quickly to diagnose.
 deetristate
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/7/2017 7:26:41 AM
That is why we chose an all boys school for the sons.
They expect boys to act like boys and don't punish them for it.
All those "hyper" kids that I went to school with are fine, just fine. And no one drugged them.
 daynadaze
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2017 5:03:24 PM
The topic was about something that many parents have to deal with, telling them well your child just needs to act out, is ridiculous, of course you can find that some are being labeled but we aren't talking about some fringe edge, we are talking about people with a need for help. Your usual, we didn't do that so of course it's just wrong, and look here I found this so that proves me right hullabaloo is very tiresome. What's your point Dee? See the topic title, it says Autism/Asperger's doesn't exist, well it does exist and it's very hard for children to deal with, what with this crap of people acting like it doesn't, or saying well they didn't have to deal with it, because well by golly their kids were treated like boys...what the hell?
 deetristate
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/8/2017 1:02:56 AM
Who said that your child just needs to act out? Is that what you call it? YOU call it a "fringe edge." What?
Did you read whiskey's post?

I didnt say that it doesn't exist. Why do you need to make up things, pretend that I said them and then "disagree?"

Are you actually one of the men in love with me? If not, I am not into women. You follow me around to disagree and ignore or don't respond to other people who take the same positions that I take.

But thanks, in this case, for conceding that I am correct, even though coated by you in language trying to cover it up.
Parents like you who have kids with such diagnosis should be concerned that it is overdiagnosed, not defensive.

Walts
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/8/2017 8:24:31 AM
daynadaze,,,,,, you're trying to discuss this a subject with a person who believes this....

That is why we chose an all boys school for the sons.
They expect boys to act like boys and don't punish them for it.

You see Dee, has determined "boys" will act like "boys",,,,whatever the phuck that means. So, she decided to put her "boys" with other "boys" so they act accordingly, and the same. Though she tries to argue the point that some people shouldn't be "labelled", she does the labelling faster than anyone here. But, it's HER labelling, so it's all good. Only in her mind though.

For the ones that do believe it's a real condition, do you think it's heavily over-diagnosed or do you think that professionals are just getting better at spotting it now?

Despite Dee's belief, that all boys are the same, and by default, all girls are the same, not all doctors are the same. We, as individuals can get second opinions on subjects like this. We get informed. As an example, are cancers more prevalent nowadays, or is the medical field getting better at finding these cancers? We seem to be able to extend our lives(improve?????) thru medical discoveries but not on this subject? How about this allergy thingy????? Because we didn't have to deal with allergies when were children does that mean it isn't something to deal with today? We also defined some, way back when, as Mentally RETARDED. Do we do that now? I mean, people with brains that is.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/8/2017 1:45:51 PM
CDC studies that can be googled found about a 10-13 percent over doagnosis.

So, of every hundred and three kids diagnosed, 90 or so have correct diagnoses, and 10 to 13 are misdiagnosed? Personally, I'd say that's a terrific track record. Stellar.

I remember my son's pediatrician, a brilliant man, head of pediatrics at a major teaching hospital in a major US city, explaining patiently to me that not every active child was HYPER --some were just *very* active. We "coped"--but looking at his life, I am pained by what it has cost him to be under-diagnosed. In real blood, real sweat, and very real tears--for him, and all who have loved him.

As for the title of this thread, only the dimmest of the dim could make such a statement. And only armies of the dim support it.

As for all-boy schools, perhaps I've just read a few dozen too many English novels by adult males who spent their adolescence there to want to do that to any child of mine. . . .
 deetristate
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/8/2017 2:36:48 PM
Green envy doesn't look good on anyone. Take it off, you people. Neither does envy cologne. It is overpowering your exaggerations and misquotes that you attempt to attribute to me.

Let's start with no one said "all" of anything.
No one said that it doesnt exist.
None of you read woobys post to which I responded.

And you doth proteseth too much. Don't feel guilty. That would be "dim." Parents do the best that they can.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/8/2017 3:51:57 PM
Just to be clear.....I never said Autism/Aspergers didn't exist....at all!!
I was talking about how I feel that children are often diagnosed with ADHD, PTSD etc.....and given drugs unnecessarily.
Lately, the youth are anxiety ridden and have a hard time dealing with issues.....
In my mind I wonder....have we become a society that likes to diagnose any "feelings" and label people.
We now have clinics just for the purpose to diagnose FAS children.

Have we over medicated our children to make it easier for some of us as parents...teachers etc....
When it most cases it's just bad parenting?
Are the drugs we are given them helping them or will it misfire their brain when they don't have it at their disposal..
Is it the new norm ? Yet....when someone has a real mental problem, like the recent shooter...it is ignored...smh.
Idk.....just my opinion, not a fact.
 daynadaze
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2017 8:25:54 PM
Do you really think there are a vast amount of overly medicated children just to make life easier for adults???
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/8/2017 9:24:17 PM
Too many here were watching Maury Povitch or something 20 years ago and haven't really found any reason to look further into it since then. But they formed their opinions and nothing is going to sway them.
 chameleonf
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/10/2017 1:07:51 PM
Wow, some people are more concerned with labels (putting them on people) than they are with taking the time to actually do their research on a topic before they put their fingers to the keyboard. There is a spectrum to the malady in the same way that cancer has a spectrum. Not all cancers present the same, nor does all autism present the same. If a person has stage one cancer, does that mean they don't have it unless it's stage four? Is the treatment the same for one as it is for four? I'm sure there are misdiagnoses of cancer, just as there are for autism. The point is that both are very real maladies that cause much grief for both the individual affected and their families.

The bigger concern isn't the labeling or the small percentage of misdiagnosis. What is alarming is the fact that there are so many legitimately diagnosed. It seems the prevalence is increasing, which makes the cause just as important, if not more so, than any possible small percentage of misdiagnosis.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >