Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Red flags      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JoeBnD
Msg: 76
Red flagsPage 4 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

Joe, would the quotes below make you want to "bash the prevalent attitudes"? It makes me want to do so. Why would someone make comments like this about the men who live in their city and surrounding area? It is beyond me. Is it just to make themselves appear "perfect" or is it "look at me, I'm wonderful"? To me comments like this make the author appear elitist, snobby, lacking character, lacking class, lacking intelligence and just plain rude and yes, stupid. When someone constantly makes comments like this it makes me wonder - why not friggin move.

While I can understand your reaction to LH's posts (and history of such), I also understand what she is saying. She lives in an area where the vast majority is practically the opposite of what she seeks in a relationship. It happens. Maybe her joke is somewhat distasteful, but I could say far worse about the town I live in. I just choose not to. And as for "just move", I am pretty much stuck where I am, so I make the best of it by golfing with my buddy (very sore right now, in fact).
 ozsealady1
Msg: 77
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 3:09:24 PM
This is all a perfect example of how text communication can be so easily misunderstood.

What does elk meat taste like?

Do hunters wave red flags at the elk to make them come closer?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 78
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 3:42:14 PM

What you all got?

Aside from the usual suspects:

1) People who write "No pic, no reply"
2) People who write "No pic, no chat"
3) People who write, "No pic, no....". Well, you get the idea.
4) People who claim astrology is the answer, but cannot provide a specific answer regarding how it specifically benefited them in a grand manner.

So wait -- you think that Jeff Foxworthy with his "You might be a redneck" jokes is an elitist snob? :).

I don't.
But then again, Literate Hiker is no Jeff Foxworthy.

What does elk meat taste like?

Chicken.
Kidding.
Can't really describe it, but it tastes good to me.

No, that's bullfighters with bulls.
I believe elk hunters use camouflage.

The joke is on us because we can't find a man.

I know I get a good laugh reading about your failures.
 Maleman999
Msg: 79
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 3:44:02 PM

I think hunters put on costumes to look like hot looking, sleazy elk.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 80
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 4:09:43 PM
Another thing I consider a "red flag" is if a person does not embrace the free and open exchange of ideas from others in the belief we should hear and we should be heard! I noticed a long-time poster abruptly departed without warning.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 81
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 5:07:22 PM
Ground elk meat makes delicious meatloaf. Because elk meat is extremely low in fat, making meatloaf adds moisture and flavor. Elk is a good source of lean protein.
 tgif111
Msg: 82
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 5:54:36 PM
I wish bluemoon wouldn't criticize Mz. Literate Hiker on every single post she makes.

it's like some kind of obsession.

why object to someone's preferences? give it a rest.

btw I had a buffalo burger for the first time 2 weeks ago and it was de-lish!

red flag on the profile? most have been mentioned.

but when you meet them? they run hot and cold. that usually means bi-polar to me.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 83
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 6:17:08 PM
I like buffalo meat.
Am also partial to kangaroo, emu and crocodile.

Crocodile is interesting. Is a bit like lobster. Firm texture like chicken, rather than flakey like fish yet tastes like fish.
Very yummy.

In Darwin there is the Road Kill Cafe. "You kill'em. We grill 'em."
Wallaby shanks are super delicious.

The earliest citation for "red flag" in the Oxford English Dictionary is from 1602 and shows that at that time the flag was used by military forces to indicate that they were preparing for battle.

Red flags more recently (18th century) are used to signify danger.
Harzardous winds for mariners.
Stop motor racing because of danger.

21st Century... Reason to not go on a date.
 White_Rabbit_
Msg: 84
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 6:55:44 PM

He blew it.

I blew it today too Literate Hiker. I would like to send you pics.

=======D ~~~~
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 85
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 7:42:19 PM
Re: Literate Hiker's humor and that intelligent people wouldn't find it funny. I actually got a kick out of it. In 4th grade I was given an IQ test and qualified for Mensa so.....yeah. Smart people "get the joke". I could do a stand up routine about people in LA and have people laughing their butts off...because it's so painfully and accurately true.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 86
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 7:43:08 PM
^ Cute. Our very own little wannabe red flag.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 87
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 7:45:50 PM
^ Not Volcano - the little serial killer impersonator before that.
 tgif111
Msg: 88
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 8:03:37 PM
msg 93

white rabbit is GONE

that man made a doodle that looked like a penis urinating or maybe even something else.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 8:24:19 PM
#94... Whattaweirdcoincidence.... because I recently took an IQ test, flunked out for mensa acceptance and found I have a sub 4th. grade IQ level. I am struggling to keep up but like what everyone is saying so far. Red flags are for those who heed warnings and depend on tests to decide which path to take. Live, and live with the consequences.
 DietFree
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 8:30:53 PM
Ozsealady's menu (msg 92) made me hungry.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 91
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 9:16:58 PM
Doremi: As you've probably concluded, overall IQ score doesn't mean a hell of a lot. I'm intelligent in some ways, and incredibly daft in others. I've no idea what my overall IQ score would be on any give day (yes, they can vary), and I don't particularly care.

Fyi just a note on IQ tests: Most of us haven't had one. Unless it was either government funded, usually because there was suspicion of a deficit; or you paid gobs and gobs of money to have one done privately (red flag!), you probably haven't had one. The ones in Readers Digest, on the Internet, etc don't count ;)
 clarice46
Msg: 92
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 10:50:13 PM
ozsealady

Or is it like a red rag to a bull??
 Organization13
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Red flags
Posted: 3/16/2015 11:04:55 PM
Red flags... girl has horrid parents. Girl gives me a feeling like she's either gonna cheat (has a history of doing so) OR feels like she is the type to walk away. Hypocrisy... outrageous beliefs. Doesn't know what love is. Listens to their family rather than their heart. Isn't affectionate? Manipulative (irony that the manipulator doesn't like to be manipulated), the reason I say this last one is because a manipulative man (myself) is only being so so he can get the girls to love him and be in a relationship with him. The manipulation ends and is replaced with romance as soon as it begins... while a manipulative woman doesn't care, just wants you to dance for them or just wants to tease you, and is dangerous in the mental and emotional way.
 clarice46
Msg: 94
Red flags
Posted: 3/17/2015 2:43:47 AM

literate hiker

Let us face it the pics, the build, the age, the height are what decide most of us to be inclined to read the profile or not. That is normal for dating sites. The other qualities can be sussed out when you meet. But the grumpy sunglasses shot is a turn off and so many men load them, and then expect responses. What is with that???? The "shit" he refers to is indicative of his priorities and although it is not exactly swearing, it is just another reason to give him a miss.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 95
Red flags
Posted: 3/17/2015 3:56:39 AM

girl has horrid parents. Girl gives me a feeling like she's either gonna cheat (has a history of doing so) OR feels like she is the type to walk away.

Is this the same 16 year old from your internet fantasy from last week?

Manipulative (irony that the manipulator doesn't like to be manipulated), the reason I say this last one is because a manipulative man (myself) is only being so so he can get the girls to love him and be in a relationship with him.

You need to tell your parents to arrange an appointment for you with a therapist, counselor or someone.
You have all the earmarks of being a sad news story eventually.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 96
Red flags
Posted: 3/17/2015 4:48:44 AM
I think I experienced a red flag tonight.

Dinner ... lovely
Movie... sat in the back row and held hands.... felt like a teenager... lovely
Second ... Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.... great movie... I laughed out loud.

Supper ... He gave me a 1 hour lecture about a conspiracy theory of religion and law he has been researching for 10 years.
My eyes were glazing over.

Ahh well.
2 out of 3 aint bad.

For those of you who like to track who pays.
Dinner and movie we each paid our own.
Supper - I paid.
 tgif111
Msg: 97
Red flags
Posted: 3/17/2015 6:47:39 AM
ozsealady,

next date, attempt to change the subject when he goes on his religion/law speech for the second time?

third time - say

he needs self control.
 Ainen
Msg: 98
Red flags
Posted: 3/17/2015 7:08:44 AM
What does "supper" mean if you translate from Strine into English?

Any inaccurate / dishonest profile setting is a red flag.
 Maleman999
Msg: 99
Red flags
Posted: 3/17/2015 7:14:22 AM

In Darwin there is the Road Kill Cafe. "You kill'em. We grill 'em."
Wallaby shanks are super delicious.

Just don't eat the dingos-especially if there are any missing babies in the area.
 patchjoker13
Msg: 100
Red flags
Posted: 3/17/2015 8:13:51 AM
I agree that people who look too hard for red flags are probably one big red flag themselves. I cannot believe that stating things like being affectionate, liking to make people laugh, and liking certain hobbies gets people automatically disqualified. Oh,.... and god forbid you make a spelling or grammar mistake. This is just another reason why OLD sucks. People are so quick to dismiss others that they would not be so quick to dismiss IRL. Also, it seems that the ladies are looking for the Goldielocks profiles. The guy has to come across as strong but not pushy, kind but not wimpy, funny but also serious, confident but not conceded, experienced but not a player,....so on and so on. These are all great things but do you really think that you can guess all of these traits of a person from a couple of paragraphs? You people cannot possible be that dumb. I can see dismissing people who are overtly sexual, mean, or not having anything in common with you, but really, the only way to get to know a person is to meet them IRL.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Red flags