Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Engagement rings necessary in the 21st century?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 180
Engagement rings necessary in the 21st century?Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
LOL Legally, you can have any surname you choose.
My lawyer asked me, during my 2nd divorce, "So what would you like your last name to be? Smith? Jones?"
I could have chosen ANY name. I chose my first husbands surname, as it was easy to spell, easy to pronounce and easy to remember.
Now if I had chosen my maiden name, I could share the same name as BF, LOL

With or without a ring!
 ndm147
Msg: 181
Engagement rings necessary in the 21st century?
Posted: 3/6/2016 9:36:39 PM
I will reiterate. Only married once. He bought me tons of nice jewelry and diamonds. It is sentimental. He died. The gifts were gifts from his heart. Ladies, don't be bitter.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 182
Posted: 3/6/2016 10:24:21 PM
Wait who's bitter?

I cherish and wear the jewelry I got from my loved ones who passed on. But if I still had an engagement ring from my ex-husband, it'd be sitting on the bottom of the jewelry box together with the wedding band, never to be taken out.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 183
Posted: 3/8/2016 8:51:01 AM
Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.

And if that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass
 browneyesboo
Msg: 184
Posted: 3/8/2016 10:10:24 AM

Off topic, why do women keep the name of the man they have divorced

I kept my married name because I like it and I've had it longer than I had my maiden name.
I can't imagine changing it again.
But my daughter raised an interesting question. I casually mentioned that IF I got married
again, I'd probably keep my name.
And she said, I wonder what your husband would think if you kept your married name...that's
sort of different from keeping your maiden name.
I dunno.
 ohenryx
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2016 11:53:40 AM
Boo, if you’ve had this name for the last 20 or 30 or 40 years, then that is your name. Doesn’t matter how you came by it, or what name you were known by in the dim past.

Your name is your name, and if you have had this name for decades, then I say stick with it.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2016 8:14:29 PM
NJgirl

It is also not you anymore to be married and carrying that ex husband's name don't you think? Not much logic there.
He ruined your life and still you want to have his name??
 woodnymph4
Msg: 187
Posted: 3/8/2016 8:33:20 PM
^^^^ How did he ruin her life?

My friend's husband died about 4 years ago and after he died she found out about a lot of terrible things he did, illegal things to her and in business, drugs..all kinds of stuff. They had been married 23 years. So she decided to take her maiden name back and it took her forever to get things sorted, it's not just "gonna change my name". Credit cards, mortgage, vehicles and on and on. And some of this costs money. I remember wanting to change the home phone from husband's name to my name when he died, the phone company wanted $100.00. I said forget and canceled the entire phone and to this day cable is in his name.

Many keep their married name because it's also their children's last name. It's a personal decision.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 188
Posted: 3/8/2016 9:13:54 PM

Many keep their married name because it's also their children's last name. It's a personal decision.

THis is the main reason I kept my ex-husbands last name. I would feel "separated " from my kids if I had a different last name. Even if I were to get married, I would make it a hyphenated last name.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 189
Posted: 3/8/2016 9:16:11 PM
I apologize for not being clear. I said that he did NOT ruin my life. Apologies for the clumsy English.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 190
Posted: 3/9/2016 9:50:48 AM

Off topic, why do women keep the name of the man they have divorced
Because I had that name for a very long time and it became mine (not just his).
It is my children's name.
Too much of a hassle to change it again and why bother? I didn't despise him or the name.
It's just a name.
----------------------------------------------

On topic:
Engagement ring is a symbol of a promise and to me, the diamond size or type of gem is irrelevant.
No it's not necessary, but it's nice.
Also serves as man deterrent when I'm out with friends---bonus :)
First time, we picked it out together and it fit within our budget. Spent the big $$ on the honeymoon.
This time, it was a complete surprise and because of that, I love it more.
I would have loved anything that he picked out himself; he also knows I'm very practical and don't like anything big or fancy. Just not a jewelry gal.
Except for my earrings...but with wearing 11 at once, it's just not practical to take them out.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 191
Posted: 3/9/2016 11:32:48 AM

My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked.

- Elizabeth Taylor

There's no way in hell I'll share the prices of my ex's engagement rings with my future ex.

Ouija2025
Msg: 192
Posted: 3/9/2016 12:03:37 PM
Mariah just scored a 35 carat!
Ms Taylor once famously said when someone was being catty about her ring to try it on, then smugly said
" not so vulgar now is it?"
Imagine a 10 million dollar ring - and I worry about my cable bill :/
 dragonbytes
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2016 8:26:23 AM
I just stumbled across the perfect solution for this problem.

Silicone Wedding Ring - Premium Quality

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Wedding-Ring-Premium-Lifestyle/dp/B015OKYXQM/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_2_dp

They also have a pretty pink one for women.
 Maleman999
Msg: 194
Posted: 4/14/2016 9:03:49 AM
^^^A 2-fer-one deal. Bigger boobs and a ring. One stop shopping.
 hemingway234
Msg: 195
Posted: 4/16/2016 8:30:15 AM
You only need to spend a couple weeks pay on a ring.

If ya want it, ya have to put a ring on it.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 196
Posted: 4/16/2016 8:33:28 AM
Them Zirconias are good for a night of bliss before she has it appraised guys.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 197
Posted: 6/19/2017 7:53:49 AM

In these days of equality, shouldn't traditions be updated too?

Why does a man’s commitment need to be quantified by a diamond?

You need to ask yourself that question, since you still seem to be obsessed by rings over two years later. A man's commitment doesn't need to be quantified by a diamond.

If you still feel a need to support the diamond trade with their artificially inflated prices in order to keep a woman in your life, that's your issue, and yours alone. Stop projecting your ring obsession onto other people.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2017 6:27:41 PM

In these days of equality, shouldn't traditions be updated too?

They are, but many times, at a snail's pace when it comes to "relationship" based stuff. People like nostalgia. I say nostalgia's for nostrils, and folks should quit picking their nose, but ce la vie. Thing is, not every guy & gal are going to be in the same boat. Some gals are going to be Comfortably financially independent, while some won't be. So IMO, how some traditions apply should be to varying degrees on a case by case basis -- not uniform.

Why does a man’s commitment need to be quantified by a diamond?

I don't think the level of his commitment is, but putting a valuable ring on her finger is to symbolize a commitment for Together-Forever, as it is an expensive piece of jewelry. But a more expensive diamond isn't quantified as a higher commitment. However, one out of the bottom of a Frosted Flakes cereal box would on the low end. Unless is was one of the rare-find rings. ;)

Is the honeymoon supposed to be the bride's gift to the groom?

She saving up pre-wedding to spring for it? Sooo, I guess not. The only other way I could see the honeymoon being a gift to the guy would be "Since we're married, I'm not going to do [these sex acts] anymore. BUT, on the Honeymoon -- I will, as my gift to you..." lol.

In the end, I think it's silly to spring for some super-expensive ring that's too much of a financial sacrifice. A lab-created diamond (which is 100% Real and tend to be Superior than the ones pulled out of the dirt) -- namely in colors that are harder to get mined, but significantly cheaper would be a good idea IMO. I mean, after all, mined diamonds are inflated prices so they're not as rare as it's inflated to be. And lab-created ones aren't Cheap -- they're just more toward what non-inflated prices would be, while being just as 100% real and less dirty.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2017 9:58:20 PM
njgirl

Okay sorry about the misunderstanding. I can understand a widow keeping her husband's name but not if it was a bad divorce. You are carrying the vibration from him and I think sometimes women want to keep some connection to the guy unconsciously.
I would never lose my maiden name when I married anyway. It would be incorporated. I get that you may have children carrying his name but in some cultures even when married the women keep their father's name. I agree with this. Horses for courses.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2017 10:00:10 PM
ndm147

Lucky you, getting tons of diamonds and nice jewellery. He died and naturally you want to keep his gifts.
I have had two engagement rings and when the relationships ended I had the rings reset and gave them to females in my family.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 202
Posted: 6/23/2017 8:19:08 AM
Some women can't snag a ring no matter how hard they work for it
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 203
Posted: 6/23/2017 9:45:47 AM
Speaking of engagements ....

I went on FB this morning and found out a " friend " of mine got engaged.....A WEEK AGO !

When would I have found out if I hadn't logged on to FB today ?

Is this what social media has come to when an actual " friend " can't pick up the phone or even throw me a text to let me know ??????

It's up to me to log on to FB to find out ??????

#feeling slightly slighted at this point
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 204
Posted: 6/23/2017 10:02:39 AM
When my guy and I traveled to South America, he purchased some loose Colombian Emeralds, and had them set in 18k gold into a ring, necklace, and earrings for me. No diamond needed.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Engagement rings necessary in the 21st century?