Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > “window shopping”      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eternityboreme
Msg: 26
“window shopping”Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'm not sure about the world of invisibility at 50, but I'll become so in a few years
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 27
“window shopping”
Posted: 3/25/2015 4:44:24 AM
eternityboreme :

I'm not sure about the world of invisibility at 50, but I'll become so in a few years

^^^^^^^^^^^^

no you won't

trust me on this one

all u have to do is step out of the front door!
 Walts
Msg: 28
“window shopping”
Posted: 3/25/2015 2:38:58 PM

Walts, are u OK, u sound a bit grumpy???

Looking into the fish bowl, I have found my goldfish missing so, I'm assuming it died. :(

That, or it got mixed in with the sushi I had the other night.
 south_city
Msg: 29
“window shopping”
Posted: 3/26/2015 6:54:16 AM

I feel like men (and maybe online daters in general) are “window shopping”, and it’s rare to develop a connection that leads to a relationship or even a date.

I remember hearing someone say a man is not real until he is your boyfriend. Take all the emails with a grain of salt, and a tiny kernel of hope, because it’s more likely than not that the man will either vanish or there will be no chemistry and continued connection once you speak on the phone or meet one another.

Both genders do this. Women will reject men because they don't exactly match a long list of requirements or there wasn't instant chemistry on the first date / meeting. Or some women have done "disappearing act" after some emails or after they agreed to go out on a date. They don't answer my calls / texts when I tried to finalize plans.
 ArticLife
Msg: 30
view profile
History
“window shopping”
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:13:50 AM
Men do it too, the difference is when they initiate contact, if they really like the girl, they can focus on her without distraction because, unless they are insanely attractive/wealthy, they aren't getting many messages at all. Attractive girls easily (and literally) get hundreds if not thousands more messages than equivalent guys do. It's the whole men are hunters aspect.

I notice this a lot. I message a girl, she replies, we chat for a few days, and then suddenly nothing, dead cold. Almost certainly this happens because someone else messages her who, on paper is better than me. Bit more attractive, better job, etc etc...

Until you meet, nothing is solidified and worse of all, you really don't know who that person is. On paper I'm not at the top, but in person I think I shine much more. Getting to that stage is quite a challenge for both genders.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 31
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 10:57:42 AM
Window shopping? Hardly.

Catalog shopping from the comfort of one's chair, office, car whatever is the more correct term. Window shopping to me is being out in the RW where you see 3 dimensional stuff that one is likely able to pick up, sniff, try on etc. No worries about how accurate any 2 dimensional pics might or might not be. And F2F in the RW with a "stranger" you might find "attractive"? Even if not a single word of conversation is exchanged, you have both body language and pheromones at play. But you have no idea of what makes them tick. Which was exactly the case BEFORE OLD.

And the saddest part of all is that so few "get it". So few will utilize the chief ingredient, the defining feature, THE best aspect of OLD, which is to READ all those fill in the blank items at the top of every profile as well as the interests and written part. Why waste time contacting someone who is not compatible?

Unless of course one gets off on typing and/or has no desire for a LTR and then all bets are off. If one is merely seeking friends or nothing more than a roll in the hay, no need for anything more than liking the pics and firing off an email.

Every one has a different comfort level but I have found that the best bet with OLD is to simply talk and/or meet ASAP, preferably within a few days of first contact, work schedules permitting. <<< This ONLY applies to ladies who are compatible per our profiles.

I've never had even ONE bad meet or anything close to it in about 10 years off and on at Yahoo personals, Match, DH or here at Fish.

I'm batting 1000. So for any of you who keep meeting bottom feeders apparently over and over, I suggest trying it.

You have nothing to lose do you?

And the "safety" argument is a very week one. There ARE multiple ways for adults to have ORAL conversations and be perfectly safe.

This ^^^ is not to say there is anything wrong with spending countless hours, days, weeks or months, pushing buttons on some device "getting to know" someone. It just looks very silly to come to the Forums whining that you finally met them and they were "lying" in some fashion and YOU "invested" all that time and effort in them.

Can we all agree that the easiest way to LIE to another person is by pushing buttons on all kinds of devices and then pushing the send button?

Even if one hates Country music, you will get a big kick out of Brad Paisley's *** I'm so much cooler on line***
 POF_and_Destiny
Msg: 32
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 11:34:35 AM
One has to give credit to Markus (and other online dating site owners) for tapping in to a mega-source of a money making idea. Online dating sites appeal to millions of people and Markus and the others make lots of money off of folks like you and I. At heart, all humans are dreamers. We dream of lot's of things. A long lasting, true, great (and all the other positive words one can come up with) relationship with that special someone tops the list. And we are looking for it, always. The opportunity to meet others is slowly disappearing today, as the social context changes. We no longer meet face-to-face. Technology provides us with the opportunity to "window shop" and we do. Only those in a good relationship, or have become so jaded with the approach, are not online. They still dream though. And come back to the online dating sites...

What people don't know is that Markus and the online dating site owners get richer with every click of the mouse key. As you and I do our "window shopping", more money goes in to their bank accounts - even on FREE online dating sites such as this. It is akin to how google makes its money.

The "window shopping" on online dating sites helps those of us not in a relationship get through our daily lives by perpetuating the dream that the special one is out there... just waiting for us to say hello.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 33
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 11:56:57 AM
Whoa, wait a minute!

Are you saying the owner is getting kickbacks from Starbucks and FTD Florist ???
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 34
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 12:20:08 PM
All I know is I've received six identical messages from Markus saying "This is your only warning." I blocked him :)
 Hearton64
Msg: 35
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 12:42:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice tits!!! ^^^^

------------------------

I feel like men (and maybe online daters in general) are “window shopping”

Hell ya!! I window shop all the time. Not just here but IRL as well. I can't help it. I'm a man and I like to look and talk to lovely ladies. Its just simply part of my manly "essence". Does that mean I'm not happy in my relationship? No. I am quite happy with who I have.

Just because I'm in a relationship doesn't mean I automatically lose my attraction to all other women..............and thus I tend to glance from time to time. No harm, no foul.
-----------------------------
Talking to is not glancing.
But would SHE be happy knowing you are here and IRL looking at and talking
to "lovely ladies"? And is she also allowed to flirt while in a relationship?

I have more respect than that for my partner.
No point in leading anyone on when I'm not available.

And Volcanoking....

I found the best man ever right here 6 years ago
And I am 50! Had I had your mentality I'd have
Missed out on a lot of love!!!! And amazing sex!!!

Life is meant to be shared with someone!

Don't give up!
 lookinginco83
Msg: 36
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 6:44:07 PM
Yes, we are window shopping.

We are selecting a store (POF, Match, eHarmony, etc.), browsing the merchandise on display at the store (looking at user pictures), reading the package information or tag information on the product (reading any information filled out by the user), and deciding whether or not to purchase the product (go on a date).

On the bright side, we are not window licking. Well, hopefully we all aren't doing that!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 37
view profile
History
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 7:45:33 PM
Yeah, right. I'm getting sick of reading all of these fine platitudes.

Life is meant to be shared with someone.
You'll find someone when you least expect it.
Married men live longer than single ones.
People are social creatures, they want to be together.
Don't give up.

I know, I sound like a crabby pessimist. Yeah, pessimists see the water glass half empty, optimists see it half full. I'm a realist. I just take the half full glass, add ice cubes, and scotch. Then I can sit back and listen, (and laugh) at people's stupid wants and demands. And know I don't have to deal with them.
 lookinginco83
Msg: 38
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 7:58:01 PM
Realistic observations and reactions are ALWAYS better than over-elaborate bullshit.

I know I will meet a woman. That's a given. In my state there seem to be more women than men, and half of the men are super stoned, super drunk idiots who transplanted for the "green industry" produce. I've lived here my entire life (minus time in service while deployed or elsewhere, and minus time traveling the U.S. before time in service), and similar to the mountains I know how to stand alone and weather storms.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 39
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 8:13:49 PM

Yeah, right. I'm getting sick of reading all of these fine platitudes.

Life is meant to be shared with someone.
You'll find someone when you least expect it.
Married men live longer than single ones.
People are social creatures, they want to be together.
Don't give up.

Here are two of my favorites:

Everybody lies. (Dr. Gregory House)
Fvck everybody.

I know, I sound like a crabby pessimist. Yeah, pessimists see the water glass half empty, optimists see it half full. I'm a realist. I just take the half full glass, add ice cubes, and scotch. Then I can sit back and listen, (and laugh) at people's stupid wants and demands. And know I don't have to deal with them.

Good plan! I think I will add watching The Masters into the equation.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 40
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/10/2015 9:22:45 PM

It just looks very silly to come to the Forums whining that you finally met them and they were "lying" in some fashion and YOU "invested" all that time and effort in them.

But, those stories are so entertaining.

Especially when someone thinks they have a great screening system to weed out all the losers, and they still end up with results that are no better than those results of people without any kind of screening system.
 Hearton64
Msg: 41
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 3:09:41 AM
My apologies for adding in some hope!!!

By all means, continue with your defeatist mentality!

Who am I to add my stupid love story.
 Dee4166
Msg: 42
view profile
History
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 4:06:25 AM

^^^^^ Sorry, I don't buy that. Or, maybe I don't want to date out of work women that have enough baggage to fill a large boxcar.

And...if you WERE 'desperate' enough...I suspect that 'baggage laden' woman would be a viable candidate....and you'd be decorating a boxcar together...lol

It's about understanding, for ME, that I am making the CHOICE to not become involved with just anybody for the sake of being in a relationship....

If I really wanted to be in a relationship, I have to assume from the evidence of MANY relationships that I've witnessed over the years, as well as some that I've participated in, that I would have MUCH lower standards and would be willing to overlook a whole lot more....

I know PLENTY of men/women that are right now, putting up with and accepting what for me, would be unacceptable behaviour...all for the sake of not being alone....
And before there's any misunderstanding....

I'm NOT talking about leaving-the-cap-off-the-toothpaste kinda unacceptable, here....

I'm talking sleeping with other women/men on a regular basis ....Or drinking/drugging away their entire salary and anything they can get from you....Or just generally disrespecting/competing with/neglecting their partner, kind of unacceptable....

I'm just grateful that I'm NOT one of those people and won't do that anymore, as the only thing worse than the pain of occasional loneliness is the pain of dysfunctional involvement....and all of the insanity THAT entails....
 clooneystutor
Msg: 43
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 10:02:21 AM

I'm NOT talking about leaving-the-cap-off-the-toothpaste kinda unacceptable

This really struck a chord with me Dee.

I once had a gal text me that I left the cap off the shampoo bottle in the bathroom she designated as mine for whenever I came over.

I apologized. She responded, 'no big deal'.

Yeah, um, it was.
 Dee4166
Msg: 44
view profile
History
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 10:19:34 AM
Cloon...ANYONE who gets THAT bent out of shape over something SO trivial is no prize...and obviously has lived a charmed Life....lol

While I get that we ALL have our 'quirks' and pet peeves...I know for me that many times when I'm getting upset over little stuff it's because the BIG stuff is just too much to handle...ya know?

Then again....some folks just want that type of control because it gives them a sense of security in a crazy, crazy world...and allows them to feel that at least they have control,over SOMETHING....

Wow...from the little that you've shared here, I'm thinking you need to write a book!!!! Probably be a best seller..... ;-)
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 45
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 10:32:31 AM
If somebody texted me that I'd left the lid off the shampoo, I'd assume they were being funny...
 Maleman999
Msg: 46
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 10:47:50 AM
It's a good thing you didn't leave the toilet seat up. That could've been an immediate deal breaker and treated like a catastrophe.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 47
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 10:52:55 AM
^ So true. But if you really think about it, why should men be expected to leave it down? Why shouldn't women be expected to leave it up? (Not that I recommend men embrace that argument.) But seriously.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 48
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 11:14:49 AM
Seriously? well because when you flush the seat and lid should be down so freakin smells, bacteria, etc doesn't get airborne!
A shampoo lid off? pound the alarm.
 StarClassic
Msg: 49
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 12:31:05 PM
All this pissin' about the toilet seat up or down. BWAHAahahahahahahaha
I have two large dogs in the house. I even lower the bowl lid.
 ozarkguy
Msg: 50
view profile
History
“window shopping”
Posted: 4/11/2015 12:47:47 PM
@Ouija--

Your comment reminded me about a health professional on a TV show that I saw a couple of years ago. He also mentioned the bacteria that becomes airborne when you flush but.......he also mentioned the list of things that are probably in the airborne vicinity of your toilet---your toothbrush, wash cloth, towel, hairbrush, etc etc.

Ewwwww! I've been putting the lid down before flushing ever since. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > “window shopping”