Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Like2dance
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
My most recent hobby is taking embalming lessons from a local mortician. Before that I enjoyed going to the dump to pick over the trash to find goodies to sell at the flea market on the weekends. Prior to that I took part in a study in which participants went without bathing for a couple years to test how the bacteria fared on their bodies. None of these endeavors boded well for my dating life.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 27
Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:57:53 PM

Posted by like2dance:
"Prior to that I took part in a study in which participants went without bathing for a couple years to test how the bacteria fared on their bodies."

True story:

Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee of the legendary band Motley Crue pulled the same stunt.
Both remained unshowered for several weeks to see if they could still hook-up with pretty groupies after concerts.
They eventually could not stand themselves any longer and "threw in the towel" along with soap and water.

EDIT TO ADD:
AdventureJoe70...as kids we used to try and do that before we would simply lose patience and eventually bite the darn thing, just like the wise old owl. We were only just kids, so we did not exactly think about dating at the time. LOL.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2015 9:08:45 PM
Out of curiosity has anyone counted how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
Seems like a valuable hobby that can be transferred to dating.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/25/2015 9:23:27 PM
I think the key factor that a lot of people do not mention is that staying together doesn't mean you have to PARTICIPATE in each others' hobbies - just that you TOLERATE them. Sure, it's great to have shared passions - and it's definitely what people are looking for with their online searches - but being a match to another isn't always about doing the EXACT same things.

We're still individual souls with our own individual bodies and needs and we have different pasts and goals and ways of viewing things.

If you both go to the same restaurant but don't order the same meal, are you considered NOT compatible? Not usually. If one of you orders a shrimp dinner and the other has a severe shellfish allergy - maybe.

What's damaging to dating success is more about the walls we put up - the 'dealbreakers' - the parts of our lives that we refuse to change in order to get along with someone. Someone who likes 'Hiking' but refuses to be a mall walker or beach comber might be an example. If you decide that your hiking hobby can only happen in wooded trails of steep varying elevation, well, that's severely reduced the number of places you can enjoy hiking - with or without a partner. That may be OK for just yourself, but in a relationship you NEED to be understanding of the needs of your partner as well.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/25/2015 10:36:44 PM

What is "dating success"? Just based on some the people I've met, I'd say dating success is staying home alone with a nice bottle of wine and a good movie.

Success is relative. In the context of the OP, basically it gets in the way of what we want, or what we ideally want (but preventing us from getting it). If our hobbies become our way of life to any degree, they can risk getting in the way of meeting others and getting dating started, or preventing us from optimally following-thru with a dating-prospect because we're more leaning to something else.

Hobbies which become "a part of us" and are not socially involving (IRL) can make us more picky in others, less interested in going thru the motions/hoops with others, etc -- knowing that it cuts into / alters our time with said part-of-life hobby.

But merely having a side-hobby? No.
 HondoGal
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/25/2015 10:59:55 PM

Out of curiosity has anyone counted how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
Seems like a valuable hobby that can be transferred to dating.~AdventureJoe

Who licks a tootsie roll pop? That’s why they call them suckers!

I'd say dating success is staying home alone with a nice bottle of wine and a good movie.~ticklemepank
Dating can be hard work. It often leads to expectations and then disappointment. If you could look at dating as just dating that would be one thing; but eventually one or the other wants more than just casual dating/friendship.

Usually hobbies or things you enjoy can be shared with another. Even sewing, which I enjoy, I usually do for another. I appreciate volunteering for charities and that always includes others. Seeing a child’s amazement when experiencing something they’ve only imagined fills me with gratitude; so I endeavor to do this often.

Never_in_Life
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/26/2015 5:01:19 AM
First off:

Sally Field look a like who loves to hike

"Sally Field" - roflcopter. I never saw that before until now. Now I keep picturing her with a habit a la the Flying Nun.

Anyways, on to the question. If you're engaged in a hobby hardcore to the point where it consumes most of your time and energy, then I doubt you'd have much interest in dating in the first place. If I was say, training for a decathlon (hey, it could happen), the very last thing that would be on my to do list would be to make a profile here. Likewise for any hobby that I persued to its fullest extent.
 Debisue64
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2015 5:37:43 AM
well.. my favorite hobby is Karaoke.. although I can sing and play a guitar on open mic nights.

It limits me greatly .... Most men do not want a "bar fly".. and that stuff happens in bars.

But of recent, I have taken a gym membership with great hopes to run some 5 K's this summer. I have no time to go out singing in bars.

Now Im too busy to date

But on the flip side.. If i had a dollar for every man who contacted me... with the interests of "hunting, fishing, camping and quads".. I would be a millionairess. I dont mind camping in a hotel..
 south_city
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/26/2015 6:47:27 AM
Of course, interests and hobbies can limit your dating pool. If I had very few or no common interests with someone, then most likely, we wouldn't be compatible. Or if someone likes to go camping, hiking, skiing almost every weekend, we wouldn't be compatible. I don't mind going on a hiking / camping trip once in a while. But not every weekend.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/26/2015 9:08:48 AM
<----- Sally Field lookalike hiker reporting for duty, ma'am! I look so much like a librarian or Girl Scout, nobody ever checked my ID. I'd love to been seen as mysterious once in awhile.

tgif111 is hilarious: "It's everyone's prerogative to try to get what you want in life. If you're a 400 pound masturbating slacker living in your mom's basement eating Cheetos all day making stalactites and you want to date Kate Upton that is your right!"

Of course interests and hobbies can limit your dating success. A healthy lifestyle and positive attitude improve your dating life. Exercise is an excellent way to boost your mood and get in shape. I have so much FUN in life that many men want to join me.

And that, my friend, is the key. Everyone is attracted to happy people who are having fun in life.

I know a man who has been wheelchair-bound since a motorcycle accident at age 17. Ron is so outgoing, boisterous and funny, he had a pretty, adoring wife and a wide circle of friends.

tgif111
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/26/2015 10:01:41 AM
thank you for your kind words Sally. ^^^^
your hat in your windy pic actually looks a little like the flying nun's headgear but in my opinion Sally Field does not possess your sensuality or interior exoticism.

my hobby or interest has helped EXPAND my dating. I've been a fast dancer since I was in my early teens. at that time one of my male neighbors was on the local Youngstown TV on Boots Bell's Dance Party show which was like Bandstand.
every week he had another pretty girl dancing with him. I said THAT IS HOW I'M GOING TO MEET WOMEN.

so I practiced and was a natural. I've been fast dancing ever since and dating the women I meet at the clubs. I could probably meet even more if I enjoyed doing a jitterbug, ballroom, swing or salsa dance but I have no interest in those styles.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/26/2015 11:38:01 AM
Limit? To not be able to pursue my passions, that's a limit.

I am into cycling, going to the ballet and opera, and reading literature.

If anything there are hobbies that if the woman is into, we would not be a good fit, such as motorcycles, golf, country music.
 kj521
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/26/2015 11:39:44 AM
Oh my goodness! I am on the edge of my seat!
What are you going to say LH to TGIF's lovely compliment?
Oh! I hope it's good! I feel a real love connection here! :)

Ok...ok ..I 'm gonna just sit back real quiet like....you won't even know I'm here.
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/26/2015 11:53:58 AM
A few people could learn to combine their hobbies...as in LH and TGIF...they could become fast hikers... ;)
I am too on the edge of my seat.....lol.
I can envision one of them....hanging off the chandeliers and other stuff...uhhuh...
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/26/2015 12:12:41 PM

Kj521: What are you going to say LH to TGIF's lovely compliment?

(Playing film noir music) "Beneath this Girl Scout exterior lies a smoldering, sensual..... "

Thank you, tgif111! I have to laugh. Occasionally men write saying, "Your sensuality shows in every picture." What? I don't see it. I look happy and relaxed in the mountains. No makeup, hat hair and sweaty.... since when does that look sensual?
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/26/2015 12:16:47 PM

<----- Sally Field lookalike hiker reporting for duty, ma'am! I look so much like a librarian or Girl Scout, nobody ever checked my ID. I'd love to been seen as mysterious once in awhile.

Hey Gidget got to go Hawaiian AND wear a bikini, LoL. Sister Bertrille got Carlos And Norma Rae got laid ;0P

tgif111 is hilarious: "It's everyone's prerogative to try to get what you want in life. If you're a 400 pound masturbating slacker living in your mom's basement eating Cheetos all day making stalactites and you want to date Kate Upton that is your right!"

I got nauseous LMAO

Of course interests and hobbies can limit your dating success. A healthy lifestyle and positive attitude improve your dating life. Exercise is an excellent way to boost your mood and get in shape. I have so much FUN in life that many men want to join me.

And that, my friend, is the key. Everyone is attracted to happy people who are having fun in life.

I think HAPPY people are attracted to HAPPY :0D
 clooneystutor
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/26/2015 1:14:42 PM
Don't diss my Cheetos dude...

Anyone figure out how to get that stuff off your fingers? That dust?

I tried wearing gloves and caught myself licking the glove, wtf?

Maybe I'll try chopsticks next...
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2015 1:44:45 PM
First , we all should age like "SALLY FIELD"

I think Ill continue to sit back and watch the odd couple myself tgif.
A "sort of" Sally Field and "kinda-sorta of" George Hamilton may find luv in FLA and we can all watch and read about it right here for free.

Will George can get a natural tan for once?

Will Sally will buy out 51% stock in Banana Boat sunscreen products and stay young forever searching for mountains in sunny Fla?

Will George finally ditch the brass bed and turtle necks and buy into a Jimmy Buffet chain store that sells flowery shirts, flip flops with plastic hibiscus and sparkles and add a tiki bar with umbrella-ed spiced rum drinks?

Stay tuned.

I think opposites attract just as much as *alike* people do when we look at the surface.

I know many that appear happy ( always smiling) but inside are a mess, others whine and moan but actually enjoy life . What we used to call a bytch fest.. a funny type of wit/ humor that seems to some as being down on everything or everyone when they dont mean anything by it except to be funny when they get together.

Your core values and humor should be the same to be able to stand each other for long and respect each others differing views. Don't think hobbies have much to do with it.
Mountains verses beaches..isnt a "verses" if you look at it from the perspective of people that care for one another.
Its both loving the outdoors.
 tgif111
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/26/2015 2:18:29 PM

Will George finally ditch the brass bed and turtle necks and buy into a Jimmy Buffet chain store that sells flowery shirts, flip flops with plastic hibiscus and sparkles and add a tiki bar with umbrella-ed spiced rum drinks?

thanks Blond Angel and Peppermint Petunias. hilarious posts from both of you.
RUM DRINKS? YES! (no umbrella please). or cold beer, Jack and coke or Beefeaters and tonic with a twist of lime.

there will be no flowery shirts for me in Florida.
in fact i'm trying to figure out how i'm going to wear any one of my dozen French cuff shirts and blazers in 90 degree Florida heat??

can The Hiker trade in her hiking boots for bike pedaling shoes? like Eric_Summit, I like to bike.
 _babblefish
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/26/2015 2:27:08 PM

A few people could learn to combine their hobbies

along the lines of how I was thinking,

complimentary hobbies, eg, I love nature photography especially near or on water, although I don't like fishing,
it doesn't mean one has to sit there idly watching, I've even fund raised at a drag race...
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2015 2:48:53 PM

there will be no flowery shirts for me in Florida.

^^^^^^^Awwwww, let me have some fun thinking about it. I am just teasing you.
Rum and beaches make a good combo imo .

I'll drag race the car myself, Ill hang glide, fly, sail and fish ( not gut), just do not ask me to get on a DAM Harley.
Im terrified of any bike in any shape or form.

Put a bloody horses head in my bed and I still will not get on one.
 kj521
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/26/2015 4:40:32 PM
"in fact i'm trying to figure out how i'm going to wear any one of my dozen French cuff shirts and blazers in 90 degree Florida heat?? "

Good luck with that Tgif!
Personally, I think you would look handsome with a hawaiian style shirt.....must have regular pedicures for the flip flops, though.

And I think the adorable LH would make a stunning companion with a red hiabiscus flower tucked behind her ear! :)
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/26/2015 5:24:30 PM

babblefish: Complimentary hobbies, e.g., I love nature photography, especially near or on water, although I don't like fishing.

Me, too. I love nature photography. Fishing severely bores me. If someone drags me off to go fishing ("NOooooo....") I bring along a book. This disgusts fishermen so much they never ask me to go fishing again. Mission accomplished.

kj521: And I think the adorable LH would make a stunning companion with a red hibiscus flower tucked behind her ear! :)

Thanks, darling. Watch me do the Hawaiian Hula Dance with a red hibiscus flower tucked behind my ear. "Oops! My sarong skirt came unwrapped!" (Looks around wildly) "Who has a safety pin?"
 gtomustang
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/26/2015 5:48:16 PM
If your hobby is collecting dust, then yeah, its going to limit the time you spend "out there" and being available. But, my two fav hobbies are glue together plastic model cars, and going to car shows. An ex who used to go with me, commented once she didn't have to worry about me noticing another girl there since I was too geeked out by the stuff that was there. So, for some of us, there is that issue, too.

Some hobbies are singular pursuits, and some are gender-dominated, so you may find that when you do find a person who catches your eye...they are there with their own partner. Were I to find a hottie who could keep up with me on cars, I'd actually be thrilled to get put into the friend zone. Eyecandy at an event I love,hey..why not?

Personally, I have as much luck outside my male-dominated hobbies as I do in them. I will say, they are a great outlet for my passionate energy--I may not get laid, but I can let out my enthusiasm in other outlets. everyone's milage may vary.
 tgif111
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/26/2015 5:53:13 PM

"Oops! My sarong skirt came unwrapped!" (Looks around wildly) "Who has a safety pin?"

Tom quickly hides his safety pin....

"umm, sorry not me, Kathleen."
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?