Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ozsealady1
Msg: 120
Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Just noticed this thread.

I do not think it is our hobbies.
Sadly I think it is that we are our own women.

Could say it is age, body size (with me) looks etc etc etc
But I know ladies who are in their 20's and 30's who have the same problem.
All of these ladies are fit, beautiful, intelligent, university educated, have a career, own property, are child free and all are single with the occasional dalliance.

Men regularly say they are intimidated.
Occasionally these ladies hide their accomplishments from potential boyfriends.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 121
Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?
Posted: 4/1/2015 8:33:52 PM
Oh... I will say that with one female yachting friend who races her boat .. she finds the racing boat is a bloke magnet.
Mainly sails with male crew. Often after a while they try to take control of her boat and her life.... which does not go down well.
She has been married 5 times (I think.. keep loosing count) with one adult child.

No trouble attracting quantity.

p.s. More people eat sharks than sharks eat people.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 122
Posted: 4/1/2015 8:46:01 PM
Lmao Oz...

I often think the many married folk, such as myself, trust easily.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/1/2015 9:43:46 PM
BlondJAngel- It depends on the type of activity's and also if each person is ok with their partner having interests that they don't share.
My hobbies are music, reading, movies, swimming, sec football, grilling, billiards and fishing.
Some of those are physical hobbies, some aren't, so I know I'm not a match who has ALL physical activities.
UNless they are ok with running and hiking without me, they might not share my love of reading or music, but maybe would could find common ground with swimming and fishing.
In other words-A willingness to enjoy your own activities and still enjoy some you do together.
(pm me-I lost all of our messages in my inbox)
 HawkingJr
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2015 10:15:10 AM
“Really, you should move to Atlanta.”

Remember, technically I grew up in the Atlanta market – my home county in Alabama is part of the Atlanta media market, anyway. I visited my parents just last week – it was a little less than 1 hour from their house to Six Flags. All “big city” stuff we did in my childhood was in Atlanta. My best friend from college (a white woman, of course) moved to the Atlanta suburbs (Decatur, Stone Mountain, Buckhead, etc.) after graduating so I visited her frequently there for about a decade until she got divorced and moved to North Carolina. Your description is pretty accurate, but the outskirts of Atlanta are worse than the outskirts of Tampa (Forsyth County, anyone?) and a little too reminiscent of that “outskirt” I grew up in. Regardless, there is the weather issue. Which leads me to...

“Move to NYC, actually to the borough of Brooklyn. Northern Brooklyn(Williamsburg,Park Slope etc) is the worlds hipster capital! And it is also home to NYC's non celebrity artist community.”

I agree, 100%. In addition to being the wrong race, I also felt like I was the wrong native resident growing up – that is, a native of NYC that somehow ended up in rural Alabama. I fit in much better in the Big Apple and have always felt like that’s where I belong. I love visiting NYC. Between May and September, that is. I’m pretty much allergic to cold weather. I suffered greatly throughout my childhood in central Alabama winters (same thing as Atlanta winters), was sick all the time, sometimes continuously from October to March. Ever since I moved to Florida, I have never been sick like that (unless I caught a real illness, like the flu). Maybe for a couple weeks each “winter.” I went to NYC last March for a film festival my movie was in and it never got about 32 degrees that whole time I was there (just 4 days) and I thought I was going to die. So, nope, no permanent residency in NYC for me – maybe when I get older I can be a snowbird. L.A. is definitely the better option of the two entirely because of climate, but I’ve not been able to make a move to L.A. work out.

“So, you too short/smart/black/white/erudite/talented/skinny/blah blah. To date.”

I usually refer to this as a “perfect storm of negative dating characteristics.”

“By chance did you ever see the comedy ‘Bubbleboy’”

I reviewed “Bubbleboy” as a professional critic when it first came out (unless you are talking about the 1970s John Travolta film “The Boy in the Plastic Bubble” that inspired it). Apparently I gave it a pretty bad rating. (Certainly not Jake’s fault – same year he also had “Donnie Darko,” which ended up in my top 10 of the entire decade. Last year he gave us “Nightcrawler.” That was a hell of a thing.) Nevertheless, I completely understand why you mentioned it. Goofiness of “Bubbleboy” aside, I am indeed generally drawn to films of that nature – my all-time favorite movie is the eerily thematically similar “Edward Scissorhands,” and I’m also big on “Elephant Man,” "Freak the Mighty," “Mask,” etc. They all make me tear up a little.

“The Burj Khalifa of posts! The Spruce Goose! The Titanic!”

Okay, from now on, I will make a separate post when I am addressing you. Starting next time. I just hate making multiple consecutive posts. There are rules against it.

“My point was, Tampa overall is far from being a redneck and Klan member riddled town, much like Orlando.”

Certainly I wouldn’t describe it as a bastion of intolerance. I’m not afraid to walk down a street in Tampa for fear of lynching. (Pinellas Park, maybe. Just kidding – I love all my Pinellas Park white trash friends!) Just saying, even the most progressive areas of the Deep South are still less progressive than the least progressive areas of the coasts, and racism has largely gone “underground.” You never know who you can fully trust around these places and individual progressiveness and open-mindedness is difficult to judge. For example: my ex-girlfriend, who is from a family so racist they disowned her aunt for having a biracial baby, dated me for 2 years and has a gay best friend, yet in the years since she’s dated me, her ideology has slowly evolved more toward that of her parents. It was probably always deep inside her even while she was dating me, since that was what she was indoctrinated with.

“I was gone for two years, but that name does seem familiar. Was it a younger chick?”

Younger than who? You? VK? Me? She and I are the same age. However, she's almost six feet tall...
 cooldog65
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2015 10:03:11 AM
My current hobby of collecting memorabilia of The 5th Dimension is where my interest is at.

I'm collecting vinyl, posters, pictures, and souvenir tour programs. I've got 10 items coming in from EBay in the next 2 weeks and I'm watching more than 80 other items.

I'm spending money on my hobby...not on dating.

Who cares about 21st century women being intimidating? I couldn't care less.

I prefer these two ladies (Marilyn McCoo and Florence LaRue of The 5th Dimension) from the 1960s/1970s.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 126
Posted: 6/22/2015 10:06:51 AM
I get more pleasure from the Vette, so that's my priority at the moment,
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 127
Posted: 6/22/2015 11:46:13 AM
^^^^^

Wow, maybe that's what's wrong with me...............I dance (ballroom) and don't want a relationship.
 cooldog65
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2015 9:44:04 AM
My hobby is really consuming more of my free time. I'm now watching almost 200 items on eBay. I have over 20 items coming in the mail in the next few weeks.

Forget dating...I'm having too much fun!
 WillyT990
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/26/2015 5:12:27 PM
Always get some kind of reaction when I tell someone that I'm into horology.

Took the continuing ed. sailing class at the local yacht club last summer and loved it. Now it's a matter of either joining the club or getting a boat if possible. I would be satisfied with a Super Snark or one of the Snark Sunflowers with the covered foredeck cause they're car-topable. But they're quite small with a low weight limit.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2015 6:18:47 PM

what happens to the laid back easy gong type of people
im a photographer and artist but not to a degree were its all I have going for me
im also fun but also like being lazy
sleep ins and dvds in bed
done up and nights out
baking and cooking and also a take away
so if im not defined as anything were do I take it

Reading your profile, you're a cross dresser, that probably has a lot more to do with you meeting people than your actual hobbies do. Your crossdressing is only going to appeal to a niche small crowd which makes your dating pool even smaller.

Having a ton of interests makes you more well rounded so it's not a bad thing, I'm a gamer but I like writing too, reading graphic novels, watching movies, going to the opening night of big blockbuster movies, I like working out and staying in shape I'm an introvert but I like going out to bars and I don't like staying at home on a Saturday night even if it means going out by myself.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 131
Posted: 7/27/2015 4:02:18 AM
I'm pretty sure Ted Bundy's hobby limited his dating success, so I suppose the answer is yes.
 StarClassic
Msg: 132
Posted: 7/28/2015 10:52:35 AM
OH Yes, it limits.
After giving her the two cent tour of my home she asked about the door with two deadbolts. I told her that's my workshop. After unlocking and opening the door she blurted out "this isn't going to work" and promptly left.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 133
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:03:37 AM

I'm pretty sure Ted Bundy's hobby limited his dating success, so I suppose the answer is yes.

You know, I'd like to believe that. But he got all kinds of fan mail and marriage proposals in prison. And in related news, Charles Manson got married earlier this year. Yup, Charlie Manson is doing better than me.

It makes me think I should take up a new hobby, but I don't have the stomach for it. It also answers the question left by the line, "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that."
 clooneystutor
Msg: 134
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:08:26 AM
Msg 138:

Was it a shrine to David Carradine? Yellow nylon included?
 StarClassic
Msg: 135
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:04:12 AM
^^^^ Not even close Clooneys.
It's a pair of my personal customized FN's. I display them so potential clients can see my work.
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 136
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:24:31 AM

Yup, Charlie Manson is doing better than me.

hell 2 the no, ur adorbs & Charlie, not so much...
 cooldog65
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2015 10:42:41 AM
I just found this group called The Flirtations scrolling around eBay and have added them to my growing collection.

They are an American group that is based out of England. These 3 lovely ladies were very underrated in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/9PnmCddluZ8
 sealady111
Msg: 138
Posted: 8/11/2015 5:05:58 PM
I will admit that there are hobbies I have found that for me have been a turn off including:

- Racing sailing or racing anything - a little bit is ok but super competitive people I find rarely enjoy just being
- Golf - ^^ see above
- Keeping snakes

My current hobbies of sailing, trivia and amateur theatre have me meeting lots and lots and lots of new people.
Many buddies.

Alas I still sleep alone.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2015 5:09:37 PM
NewMexicoDancer

If you go to Senior Citizens dances and the like, I am sure you would find a mature woman sooner or later who dances and may like to date you.

SLAFFA
Msg: 140
Posted: 8/12/2015 1:25:22 AM
ONLY if we insist that our potential partners do them with us. There are tons of Lady fish that list Hiking. But Hiking seems to be THE "in" thing to list for all ages at least where I live. Nothing wrong with Day Hikes/ers except you are still likely to see people yakking/hollering on cell phones possibly dropping candy wrappers and cigarette butts...as they "hike" cluelessly along...

Very few women [OR men] are willing to spend even ONE night in a tent w/o a shower or electricity much less possibly a week.

This ^^^ is what BROTHERS are for! I'd probably be happy with a woman who would drop us off at one end of the trail and pick us up at the other which is often better and easier than hiking a loop. My brother's wife has done this for us several times. She's a gem for sure.
 6146Catch
Msg: 141
Posted: 8/12/2015 7:24:04 AM
It's been my experience that guys who enjoy creative-type hobbies (home improvement, making things out of metal or wood, arts & crafts, etc etc) are dismissed as creepers by women.

I mean come on, ladies... just because I built 3 sofas from a few boards and sewed seat cushions for them, isn't like making shrunken heads in the basement.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Can our hobbies, as much as we enjoy them, limit our dating success?