Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > ADHD, Dyslexia and PTSD How to Deal with Someone Like This When Datin      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CTRLvector
Msg: 26
ADHD, Dyslexia and PTSD How to Deal with Someone Like This When Dating?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

can understand CTRLVector's anger. I've seen people use any excuse for lack of responsibility ---- PTSD and ADHD seem to be popular these days; dyslexia more so fifteen years ago. Back in the 70s it was 'the devil made me do it

Thanks for my 6

notice son, that YOU are actually blaming your "bad day" on a diagnosis, correct?

No, I never place blame in anything for who I am, or how I act. This regardless of professional diagnosis - and if you got that conclusion - than you're ignorant and hypocritical. I answered in the affirmative - with regard to having a bad day. But you will never see me placing blame on anything. You were the one who misunderstood my grievance - then decided to take it up with me. As if you had a position to take against me, whether ethical or grudge bearing.

This kid throws caution to the wind - and blames his actions on PTSD, and two developmental disorders. Dyslexia being another DD that I also share with the OP's date. I do not know how many times I have to make it clear that I am doing the opposite - I am saying that learned helplessness is bullshit, and certainly the case.

I do not respect people who use a crippling disorder like PTSD, as a way to avoid accountability of self and negative behavior. Especially the way the OP explained the correspondence as per his words.

I find it ironic, that you and your fruit-cake lackey hold me accountable for my words. When I have a dog in this fight, I know what it's like, I've got it, and I have a brother who has it, friends who suffer from it. So what do you have to say then?

Near as I can figure - neither of you serve anything other than your own agenda to press the DSM - as if I were applying it - as if I believed in it. And if you two were to hold me accountable for my words - without taking account of my own diagnosis, you create a paradox. And you further remove yourself from having any business with regard to how I react.

So, what is your dog in this fight? Or need I reiterate once again?
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 27
ADHD, Dyslexia and PTSD How to Deal with Someone Like This When Dating?
Posted: 3/29/2015 6:54:05 PM

When I have a dog in this fight, I know what it's like, I've got it, and I have a brother who has it, friends who suffer from it. So what do you have to say then?

That's the problem. You think you're the only who "has a dog in this fight" This is not something unusual to me. I had joined a group, much like this one, for people with PTSD. I was told repeatedly that "unless I know what it's like to be in war", I have no business being there. Military personnel seem to have taken ownership of this diagnosis, which is actually counterproductive of ever getting any proper therapy or treatment for it. Whatevs. You can put your boots in the oven but that don't make them biscuits.

That being said, there is absolutely no excuse, whether you are having a bad day or not, to be as effing nasty to people as you are being. You are ranting as if you are a rabid dog chasing after his own tail. I don't care how bad of a day you are having, what your diagnosis is or isn't, it doesn't excuse this shyte that you keep plugging into people. Neither you nor your friend have a copyright to any effing diagnosis you've been handed. You don't suffer any more or any less than any of the rest of us. And if you don't agree, I don't give a flying eff whether you agree or not. I deal with people who are dying from illness on a regular basis. I have sat and cried with them and their families. I have driven home in tears having seen them experience firsthand, the terror of their diagnosis. Even they don't act this foolish and ungrateful. Walts is giving you helpful advice and he has been nothing but kind about it. You have NO excuse to speak to him as you are.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/29/2015 7:02:54 PM
Oh Vector :(
All I can say - this saddens me
YOu actually don't know as much about suffering as you think you do
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/29/2015 7:26:39 PM
Every time Metal posts something, this lad addresses her with burning hatred. At first I was alarmed, but it's become clear that he's obsessed, and now I'm intrigued. What I wouldn't give to get inside his little brain.

Vector: People have excused your behaviour thus far due to your own self disclosed mental health issues. You might extend the same courtesy to others?
 CTRLvector
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/29/2015 7:47:24 PM

You don't suffer any more or any less than any of the rest of us.

Shut the hell up you moron, and read before you type. I am not saying that I suffer. Fuck you for bringing it up again. For fact that I never brought that up, it was revealed.

I am talking about learned helplessness. So shut up, because im tired of arguing the same point, read, and quit being a moron. Otherwise you cause me to reintegrate - and I grow so tired of spelling this shit out again, and again, and again.

THIS IS ABOUT LEARNED HELPLESSNESS, WITH REGARD TO THE BLATANT USE OF PTSD. AS IT RELATES TO USING THAT AS AN EXCUSE FOR BEHAVIOR. LEARNED HELPLESSNESS.

thank you

I am not saying that PTSD isn't relative - I am not saying that depression isn't relative. Essentially we all have our thresholds. My brother claims PTSD, but that is frivolous - When in fact it was drugs that screwed him up, and PTSD that validated the reason behind his failure to adapt to life. Learned helplessness you fool, that is what I speak of, now stay your ignorance.

DO NOT argue with me about this, my resolve has nothing to do with you. I don't give a f*** what you see, saw, or endured. I don't give a fu** what I see, saw or endured. But I do give a **** when I see a fellow veteran crippled by it.

So calm your ignorance ladyess, I never said anything about your trauma. The difference between your PTSD, and that of the witness of a non-violent death is night and day. There is no excuse? There is no excuse for my behavior? There is no excuse for your defense of the OP, you argue a stupid point - I get the agenda you're trying to champion. So shut up, or be a hypocrite.

This is a separate case - this is a case of a kid who throws excuse for behavior. In the face of true suffering of PTSD, and for that I don't care what you say. You're ignorant, just as you attempt to take a moral high ground. Because this isn't about whether or not watching someone you care about die in a bad in context to mental anguish. This is about learned helplessness - and the blatant disregard for the severity of PTSD.

Now f*** off, do not address me anymore. I am finished with you and your misguided foolishness.
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/29/2015 7:52:04 PM
Let me tell you something. I will address who I want when I want in a public forum, including you. If you choose not to read it, that's you prerogative, but you are not going to bully or intimidate me or anyone else and decree who we can and cannot address.

Hopefully, that is crystal clear to you.

Grow the eff up.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/29/2015 7:59:34 PM
You're dumber than a box of rocks aren't you?

What don't you get about my prerogative? Because you seem to **** up the point im trying to make every time. You **** it up, despite 2ufo being able to understand it perfectly well. Within the first page, when I said it once, and not 3 times over... I mean wtf?

If you want to **** about how veterans treated you - then do not address me. I did not say your claim was false, so do not talk to me of how you were treated by veterans. I do not care how you were treated by veterans.

Because you're taking a fight to me, for the wrong reason's, and its because I am a veteran... and you were butthurt at how they treated your case.

I am not talking about you, or anyone ****ing else who suffers from PTSD. I am talking in regard to the ****ing original thread, the reason for attributing PTSD to behavior - and the reason PTSD was acquired. ALL in context to using that to avoid accountability for behavior

now please, do me a favor - and f off
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/29/2015 8:12:12 PM
I will not f off, until I feel like I'm ready to do so. I have no beef with veterans, in fact I had a homeless one stay with me in my house, until he could get on his feet. I quite actively support many of their causes, both financially and morally. I am very proud of our troops and veterans, and support them as much as I can possibly support them, without my actually being in the military. Many of them are good friends and neighbours of mine, living in a military town. So you are incorrect in that assumption.

As for me being dumb as a box of rocks, that's actually not the case. In fact, my IQ has been measured quite high, and not to toot my own horn, but I would easily qualify for Mensa, should I choose to take the test. Now Mensa may not be that important of an organization to belong to, but I bring it up because they have a certain requirement of IQ to qualify. Doing the math, its safe to say that I'm a pretty smart cookie. So you're incorrect in that assumption as well.

I'm not taking any fight to you. You are taking the fight to yourself. You just don't see it. You are alienating everyone who actually gives a bit of spit about you here, because you are ranting like a deranged lunatic, boxing shadows. Nobody is fighting with you. But just as you have a right to defend yourself and spit venom, so do others have a right to defend themselves.

The person who posted the original thread, posted in honesty because that's what she has been told. Whether she has been handed a line, is not her fault. She has no reason to believe that she has been lied to, until it could be proven otherwise. She was simply posing a question, in good faith. She was not trying to insult your senses. So you are wrong in that assumption too.

Now perhaps you could take a step back, assess a bit more logically, and see that nobody here is targeting you for anything, other than holding you to task for your bitter and uncalled for ravings. As adults, we should be held to task for it. You may disagree with the statement, but I see absolutely no reason to attack the character or integrity of anyone in this thread.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/29/2015 8:18:12 PM
CV. I have a dog in this fight too. I have PTSD with a few other things. I have family members and friends with it. NONE of them have the right to talk to me, or anyone else the way you are going at the forums as a whole here today. The same goes for me. I do not have that right. You are out of line in my opinion.

My question to you is, are you taking your meds? If you are on a drug "holiday" call your doctor or local hospital or crisis prevention at the VA. Get yourself back with the program because you are acting like your going off the deep end. I say this with all the concern I can give you. Something is going on with you. Don't let it own you again.

Le Pew
 clooneystutor
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/29/2015 9:29:55 PM
The man did things nobody else wanted to.

He deserves some space:)
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/29/2015 10:22:28 PM
He's just f'd up. Real low self-esteem. He has issues. Can't believe you've been dating him for 2 months. Wow.

Q: What did the ADHD Agnostic with dyslexic do?
A: Stayed up all night bouncing around, wondering if there really was a dog.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2015 10:34:46 PM
Not getting involved in the side issues and distractions in this thread. Only the core issue.

How do you deal with having a relationship with someone with "issues?"

By realizing and keeping in mind that this is who they are. THIS is who you are dating. You are not dating who they might be, if they someday overcome said issues.

Instead of looking for strategies to get around how they are behaving, accept everything that is, as what is true. Then decide if you really like WHO THEY ARE, or just what you fantasize that they could be if they WEREN'T who they are.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/29/2015 10:46:57 PM
@Op:
Sorry hon, but I think after six dates he is trying to dump you---hasn't a thing to do with his illnesses. When a man says he "understands if he isn't going to be your boyfriend" or if he says things like "you're too good for me" he is giving you a face saving "out".

Cut him loose, and re-cast. Even if this was because of some emotional disorder, do you really want to deal with self deprecating mood swings?
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:38:56 PM

I love how PTSD is thrown around with such disregard, a kid drowned in a pool, and that caused him to feel like he was going to die at the time? Because PTSD requires you get shot at, injured to the point that you're almost killed, been the victim of life threatening physical violence.... I'm sure he has PTSD, and hes not just full of shit.

Dyslexia? You mean the learning disability that makes it difficult to learn language? A disability that has nothing to do with expressing yourself, and everything to do with learning? Great, you're two for two on the dumb meter.

And ADHD, don't know - don't care - typically something that you grow out of as an adult. That's three for three on the dumb meter.

Is watching someone die traumatic (definition: Emotionally disturbing or distressing)? Seeing a kid drown in a pool is a 1000000% medically valid cause of PTSD. Now, unless you know something that thousands of doctors don't, you're just wrong.

Dyslexia has nothing to do with learning a language. It's about reading and writing. It's considered a cognitive disability. In a learning setting, it's going to have a rough effect since reading won't always come as easy. A person with dyslexia is literate, but physically reading and putting thoughts into printed words is somewhere that they struggle.

ADHD lasting through adulthood is very common. And this is only going by people who actually get tested. We don't know how many people have ADHD but just never got it diagnosed.

I'd maybe do a little learning before you tear into something like that next time. Because you clearly don't understand any of the 3 disorders.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/30/2015 4:32:03 PM

Is watching someone die traumatic.

No, it is not traumatic - it is natural. It has to be in a violent / slaughtering kind of way to induce major trauma. Watching an unknown kid who had drown for whatever reason in a pool, that sounds like bullshit - it probably is bullshit. Kids probably lying to the OP, I don't care.

The point is I don't like PTSD/mental-health being thrown around, or used as an excuse, it stigmatizes - and that is why I made the negative commentary about it.

And as for everyone who pulled out the DSM, and/or their own stories - fuck off - its not about you. Its about making a negative comment. If you want to second guess my knowledge keep reading, otherwise your personal story being directed at me isn't warranted. It wasn't to bash PTSD, it was to bash the use of it as an excuse for behavior. I mean what the fuck?

I disagree with the DSM, I stated a bias against it, I stated reasons. I think it is negligent, and over-protective to call it PTSD - especially if it is the catalyst to disorder. Also great percentage there, where did you come up with those numbers?

It might fit the medical criteria - for PTSD, but a non-violent drowning of a kid in a pool, and being witness to that, is bullshit. And there are plenty of doctors who disagree with the idea that death be traumatic, if death occurs in a non-violent way, and to a stranger.

I mean my god, think about the maddening circumstances an old person home would bring in this case. All kinds of old people dying in their sleep. How do doctors handle patients who die in surgery? You know, you set a stupid example, where you put two COMPLETELY separate events - and put them all in the condition of meeting the criteria for PTSD.

Let me explain something to all of you who are making me reiterate this point over and over. For the fact that you're misunderstanding the reason I posted what I did, and for the reason I am passionate about NOT throwing a debilitating disorder around, with such a negative stigma. And being acceptive of a person who excuses himself, and his behavior - because he has the disorder.

If you want to fucking argue with me about whether or not that behavior is acceptable. Then fine, because that is what I was saying when I started with the snide comment, was called out for it. That comment in context to the behavior, , that comment NOT in context to your fucking PTSD (insert person who argues the points name.)

If you want t o argue about whether or not witnessing a death of a random person who died in a non-violent way. And the relevance to meeting the DSM diagnosis. I don't care, I don't agree, that is the point I am trying to make. It isn't anywhere near the realm of traumatic as to have potential to become the catalyst to a debilitating disorder like PTSD.

Dyslexia has nothing to do with learning a language. It's about reading and writing.

Dude, you're so wrong - so fucking wrong - dyslexia has everything to do with learning as disability. A dyslexic person, once they know the god damn fucking language. Has no problem using it you retard.

As for dyslexia - it doesn't afflict your cognition in terms of operating. It afflicts the visual perception in terms of mirroring the way people with dyslexia - perceive symbolic connection. So it afflicts anything with symbolism, as it relates to reality, existence, quality, or quantity. Math, language, spelling, symbolic logic.

Dyslexia DOES NOT afflict a person in terms of behavior, or in terms of representing themselves if they know language - that is fucking stupid - and that being the main point. -- Go ahead and fuck off, argue if you want, but know you're wrong.

ADHD lasting through adulthood is very common.

You have the statistics on that? Do you want to get the statistic on that? Adults having attention disorders are fewer than children having attention disorders - you retard.

i'd maybe do a little learning before you tear into something like that next time.

How ironic,

here are the bullet points

1 - I don't know the circumstances, but PTSD being used as an excuse for behavior - is wrong
2 - I do know what I am talking about, cite your information or fuck off.
3 - Don't worry about my educational goals, worry about your own. You're far too stupid, to calling anyone out.
4 - You're full retard.
 midnite_icecream
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/30/2015 6:17:40 PM
SMH @ the furious goings on in this thread. Get off your high horse Vector. You're no better than anybody else. Stop bashing like a madman and have some humility FFS.
On topic, if the drowning affected him as much as he portrayed, possibly it was a friend's/relative's kid, which just wasn't disclosed.
I did think after reading the OT that he might be somewhat of a hypochondriac. He messages like an emotional vampire..General insecurity I'm thinking, from a superficial standpoint. Just an impression, nothing else.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/30/2015 6:39:11 PM
Also thanks Clooney, kind a wanted this thread to die...

SMH @ the furious goings on in this thread. Get off your high horse Vector. You're no better than anybody else.

fuck you, I didn't say I was better, every time one of you dumb fucks comes into this and says something completely out of context, out of misunderstanding what I say. Then you fuck up the point, and I have to reiterate.

So shut the fuck up, I don't think I am better. I am not bashing, all these googling retards come out of the woodwork when I reference the relevant terms in the DSM. And then you don't even get the shit right, somehow you manage to fuck up CCing the shit or reading comprehension... I don't even know.

So no, once again, for the 4-5th? Time I don't fucking think im better, but if you say you're better - and prove yourself to be stupid, ill run you into the ground.

if the drowning affected him as much as he portrayed, possibly it was a friend's/relative's kid, which just wasn't disclosed.

Either the OP got the story wrong, or the kid is lying. What would happen if a kid drown? Would the fucking people at the party declair a time of death? Would the kid be standing there watching? Or would the ambulance come - it not be traumatic. It would only be as traumatic as the relation from kid to kid.

Hes lying though, and everyone is too stupid to see it. He makes references to non-relative disability.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/30/2015 7:10:51 PM
CTRLVector: I have no doubt that you are an intelligent young man. I have no doubt that you have suffered things others can't imagine. I agree that it's entirely possible that the man this thread is about could be using mental illness labels as a form of emotional blackmail.

There are many many different people stumbling across this thread. Some have probably lost children to accidental death. It's not the subject itself that I find upsetting - it's refering to the death of a child repeatedly, with such callousness and hostility. I beg of you, please please stop. Please.

Thank-you for reading this post, and for considering my request.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:04:39 PM

There are many many different people stumbling across this thread. Some have probably lost children to accidental death. It's not the subject itself that I find upsetting - it's referring to the death of a child repeatedly, with such callousness and hostility. I beg of you, please please stop. Please.

I was happy to drop the issue, I was more than happy. You think I like to reiterate the point I was making, every god damn time someone says "you think you're better," or "you think your suffering is more important." This after the fact that I made no mention of my own. Only after I was pressed to use it as a point of perception. Its like they come in, scan the information - take it completely out of context. And then attempt to affirm their knowledge - as if it is relevant to the point I was making.

They come on here, read the list of criteria - don't understand that there are objectives that need to be met. Like time-line, associated behavior, having to meet # for total # to rule out false positive correlation. I mean there is a ton of work that goes into a diagnosis. Some ass-clown comes at me about "get learned derp derp derp," reading off of god damn WebMD - I mean, its stupid - to have my credibility attacked, without even understanding how a diagnosis works.

And in not understanding how a diagnosis works, they just think some total bullshit story is real. Then when I get upset at the total bullshit story, and how PTSD is being used to excuse shit behavior. When I have friends who are crippled by it, just pisses me off.

This IS NOT about me, this IS ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH and how stigma's exist. If its about anything - its about my friend who suffers from it. And to honor him by protecting the use and further stigmatization of the god damn disorder. To not throw around diagnosis, and disorder as excuse or perpetuation of stigmatization. Because of shit like that I take a stand, and the idiot mob follows - out of context, out of ignorance, out of misunderstanding.
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:39:01 PM

They come on here, read the list of criteria - don't understand that there are objectives that need to be met. Like time-line, associated behavior, having to meet # for total # to rule out false positive correlation. I mean there is a ton of work that goes into a diagnosis. Some ass-clown comes at me about "get learned derp derp derp," reading off of god damn WebMD - I mean, its stupid - to have my credibility attacked, without even understanding how a diagnosis works.

And in not understanding how a diagnosis works, they just think some total bullshit story is real. Then when I get upset at the total bullshit story, and how PTSD is being used to excuse shit behavior. When I have friends who are crippled by it, just pisses me off.

If that is directed at me, I maintain that you don't have correct knowledge of the illness and the information you are trying to relay, is not accurate.

I am well aware of how a diagnosis is reached. I didn't read it off of WebMD. I actually work at a university. With MDs, and PhDs. In clinical research.

I hope you get the help you need, to have peace.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:58:17 PM
PhD = Piled High and Deep....:)
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/30/2015 10:00:48 PM
^^ Sometimes. :D

But the ones I work with are actually good peeps. Even if they do raid my office and eat my junk food.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/30/2015 10:50:24 PM

PhD = Piled High and Deep....:)

Yeah, I would never, ever - claim to be more proficient in medical protocol or research than a MD or PhD. But I can have my opinion, as per experience. And if there is a divide in objection to how a diagnosis is made - it is within my right - to say that traumatic stress, needs to be relative to traumatic experience. And there are plenty of highly qualified researchers and practitioners who would say the criterion for PTSD needs to be more definitive.

It is interesting how people tell me "your not this, your not that, you're not qualified to say anything." Well, sure I am not qualified to practice - but that doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. By way of personal account, or by way of knowledge. Because I don't watch TV - I go on youtube and I listen to whatever professor give a lecture on depression, or human sexuality, or social psychology, or anything.

I watch TEDtalks to a tedium, and even though it doesn't meet an accredited education. It allows me to speak on behalf of what I know, in context to what is said. And what I know - may or may not be more beneficial than what a PhD giving a psychotherapy lesson might say. Because sometimes those MD's or PhD's do damage.

To say that a person has no business in drawing opinion, because they aren't formally educated. Doesn't mean that they aren't educated. There are useless PhD's out there, I've been accredited through their courses in college. And I've caught a couple making technical mistakes - I've even once had to adjust to learn incorrectly - just so I could get the answer right.

I hope you get the help you need, to have peace.

Don't worry about me, worry about your pre-perceived notion of being the subject of personal attack, when there is absolutely no reason to associate or validate that perception.

Worry about the holier than thou type bitch, who evaluates my outrage as being a condition to make a passive attack under the guise of goodness. When it is apathy - the attack coming in the form of "please get help, you're sick." And that is insulting of my intelligence, considering it basically bandwagon's, and makes false claim. Hypocrisy at its finest - diagnosis without justification. Where I bet dollars to donuts - if I were to take an exam on psychology, and medical protocol - I would out perform a high majority.

And that isn't to pat myself on the back, that's just my honest evaluation. How about I call you sick - and tell you that you need help. Because you have a perception problem, and you assume people are attacking you - because you have PTSD, and your behavior is indicative to impulsively jump to the conclusion that people are attacking your credibility or shaming you.

I mean I can say that - its a dick move - to say "get the help you need, or go to the hospital, you're out of line." But you can save yourself from making stupid passive aggressive comments like that. Because you should know that is a bullshit thing to say to someone. Talk about behaving in an ethical manner, im defending my point, that was taking out of context for the 5th time. I am within reason to be agitated - I am provoked into defending myself - yet you do it, and you beg for reprieve. Its stupid, and if it isn't blatantly intended - then it is ignorant to attack me, whilst asking for reprieve.

No quarter is given, with respect to that. Attack me, I counter-attack, I don't stand there to lend credibility to ignorance. So tread carefully, and not on me.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/30/2015 11:01:58 PM
On Topic...

OP, now that you have seen this melt down, is this what you want to sign up for?

Thanks CVector for giving her the correct answer.

Le Pew
 8inscrew
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/30/2015 11:07:49 PM
I came within a glance to b raining a guy in a pawn shop.
Wasn't his fault.

The bike had a flat, and he didn't have an air gauge. Over filled a tire.
I came up on him hard raised to damage.
The old pawn shop owner saved the day..... by seeing it happen and extending a glance.

Vector- I'm extending that glance now.

We are all folks with imperfections. No one's are better than your's or mine.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > ADHD, Dyslexia and PTSD How to Deal with Someone Like This When Dating?