Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > "I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HawkingJr
Msg: 276
view profile
History
I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!Page 12 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
“I do however have one request, I'm gonna need you to take me to that beach you said all the babes are at sipping on a pineapple, lol.”

If you were still talking to me, you have me confused with some other Floridian, as I’m 100% sure I never said that (or witnessed that or participated in that or heard/read that before).

So long as the departed CuriousinDB does not participate (that girl’s crazy!), I’m game to meet POF forumites, as I’ve done it before and spearheaded meetings on other message boards. Just as long as you understand it will kill the HawkingJr mystique, as it did in the other cases.

“I am this close (holding my thumb and forefinger just a hair away from each other)......from giving up on you!”

Then you are further from giving up on me than I am. These past few weeks have been brutal in OLD land.

“I like to take my own car, not ride with someone else. I am in control of where I go all night”

Not sure how you didn’t end up the permanent DD like I did/still am. So, yeah, I have my own car with me, but it’s almost never only me in it.

I’m going out with my best friend and her girlfriends tonight. Based on the many previous outings I’ve had with them, there is a 99.9% probability I will still be single on Monday morning. I’m telling you, there are no single women in this entire extended circle of friends. And even if there was, nobody sets up their friends with a guy like me. That’s a good way to lose friends. (Actually, my closest male friend sorta set me up at his recent wedding as a groomsmen with a short cute bridesmaid who just happened to go to my college and have my major and live around the corner from me, so we had plenty to talk about during wedding prep. Unfortunately, she was not attracted to me, so that is that. It’s probably the closest I’ve ever been to “set up.”)

“That HAD to be The Senator. He's been a staple at The Castle for ages.”

He was there when I went recently for the first time in God knows when. I have pictures of him with my girlfriend and female friends from a decade ago.

“When you see someone interesting , just go over. Do NOT think!”

This, I have learned, is a pretty good way to get punched by a woman’s boyfriend when he gets back from the bathroom.

“No one says you have to bond with them in other ways, but you could use the wingmen.”

Maybe it’s because they’re all artsy-types, but my male friends and associates have proven to be terrible wingmen. Even worse, they don’t like to go out, at least not to any place single females are gathering (most are married, so what is the point?). Like I said earlier, back in the day, my second best friend (female) was outstanding at introducing me to single girls... you know, when I wasn’t single. But that was 10 years ago. Now she’s like me, practically the last of her tribe. Still, I have far greater hope from a night out with her than anyone else, especially vs. male friends. I just don’t get out much with her anymore because our work schedules have refused to sync up. We usually just end up “doing lunch” to stay in touch.

I'd think hanging out with some real men's men such as you or Pig would not be very beneficial to me because our appearances are so dissimilar. I've seen pictures of me standing next to six feet tall guys. I'm sure that's a complete turn-off to women. In fact, I don't know how many times I've been told in the forums to get rid of pictures that feature me and tall guys because they make me look even more diminutive than I am so I can only imagine the real life version is an absolute joke.

“the good news is, H awkings, is you must be good looking to some level, b/c the ladies keep responding to you. When I used to carry on like you do, women didn't bother to respond in order to make me feel better.”

I really don’t think anyone here cares whether I live or die. Everybody’s pretty much just here for the entertainment. Watching me disintegrate provides hours of mindless amusement.

“intelligence is a turn on for everyone”

I take it you have not visited rural Alabama. Dumb is king. Forrest Gump is their god. When I was growing up, all the most popular boys at school were the ones doing the dumbest stuff, and for whatever reason, most of the smart girls at my school ended up marrying the dumbest guys in class. The only females at the school impressed by my intelligence were the teachers. Now don’t get me wrong – I’ve certainly been in environments where intelligence is appreciated, but I was never the smartest guy in those situations. That’s the problem with this philosophy: being in an environment of intelligence lovers pretty much guarantees that you’re just going to be a person of average intelligence among them. I was sent to this summer camp for the smartest 100 kids in Alabama and it’s very likely I was #99 or 100 on the list. I was looked down upon by all these Harvard and MIT-bound Huntsville and Birmingham kids. I finally knew what my regular classmates felt like next to me.
 kj521
Msg: 277
I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!
Posted: 4/24/2015 12:58:51 PM
Mr. Hawking....this......vvvvvv

"I really don’t think anyone here cares whether I live or die. Everybody’s pretty much just here for the entertainment. Watching me disintegrate provides hours of mindless amusement."

Is just not true. There are the kindest most compassionate people in here....

Personally....you frustrate me....but I do care and wish love and happiness for you. :)
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 278
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:04:10 PM

I’m game to meet POF forumites, as I’ve done it before and spearheaded meetings ...

Oh wow, you go all out -- with your spearhead out, eh? I think you misspelled. It's "spearheaded meatings". ;)

.. on other message boards. Just as long as you understand it will kill the HawkingJr mystique, as it did in the other cases

Well, I didn't know there was a "mystique" beforehand. I would think one whipping out the 'ol spearhead would create one though!

I’m telling you, there are no single women in this entire extended circle of friends. And even if there was, nobody sets up their friends with a guy like me. That’s a good way to lose friends.

Okay, this shows not a lack of confidence -- but an unnecessarily berated view of yourself. It'd only be a good way to lose friends if you were a complete d!ck and screwed over women. One's not going to lose friends because their friend hooks up them up with someone who they're not that into. Plus, it's easy to say "Yeah, HawkingJr... he's cute, got things going for him -- he's your type. But he's pretty short though...," and if said gal says "OK", then you'd Also avoid disaster hookups. Especially with your POV and probably preparing/aiming to be just friends with them at the end of the day anyway. There'd be NO risk for your gal-pals to do that.

Also, when you and your gal-pals go out, you want to make it apparent that you're not the token gay guy in reality or in the practical sense. Hanging around a lot of chicks gives one a Huge advantage in meeting new girls. Use them to mingle with folks around. Not to set you up really, but to mingle around and you to flow with it, too. If done right, even when not meeting gals who are all about you, it still raises your stock price. And tell them you helped make a scary movie! But in general, your approach has to flow decently. You're actually in a Better position than most guys. Sheesh!

I've seen pictures of me standing next to six feet tall guys. I'm sure that's a complete turn-off to women.

True. Relatively short guys hanging around 6'4" guys isn't going to work so well. Gals dislike shorter guys in the room (vs others), moreso than his height compared to hers -- as long as it's at least roughly equal. Standing next to guys 6'0" - 6'2", and other guys in the room being around 5'9"-5'11" is going to make you look worse to a 5'2" gal, rather than hanging out with some guys who are under 5'9".

In the end, it's your game. You need to to see the world differently, enough to get things rolling a bit, to widen things up and to get to your potential. No, I'm not saying your potential is banging hot babes left and right every time you go out -- far from it. But to be able to scope the scene and think "Yeah, I can get a # from an average Jane this weekend," without having to push yourself? Yeah. Part of that is to Not Fear Rejection. No, that doesn't mean humping a gal's leg while her BF is in the bathroom. Far from that.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 279
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:15:32 PM
Hawk, Hawk, Hawk. Oh, boy. Where to begin...

I think you have let this site crush your self-esteem.

. In fact, I don't know how many times I've been told in the forums to get rid of pictures that feature me and tall guys because they make me look even more diminutive than I am so I can only imagine the real life version is an absolute joke.

Ok, and these woman obviously had an issue with height, but not all women do. I come from an absolutely gargantuan sized family, and I can honestly say I don't know of a female in it who has a height preference. Surely the women in my family aren't the only women in the world who don't. Hell, my late uncle was 5'6'' and absolutely killed in the ladies department. His last girlfriend was even 17 years younger than him. He wasn't "rich", either. So, they weren't with him for money.

This, I have learned, is a pretty good way to get punched by a woman’s boyfriend when he gets back from the bathroom.

Dude, you are visualizing an absolutely worse case scenario there. How often do you actually see something like that go down??

Like I said, I think you've taken your POF experience to heart, and you shouldn't. It's obviously given you an inferiority complex. As I said before, it will only make you act inferior, which of course means you'll be perceived as inferior. That's not some new age guru Zen Master bunk, it's the truth.

Harboring the feelings you do, I would bet anything it has affected your body language (which is absolutely crucial in how you're perceived), and you're not even aware of it.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 280
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:28:03 PM

'd think hanging out with some real men's men such as you or Pig would not be very beneficial to me because our appearances are so dissimilar.

Once you realize that you're not Pig, or that you cannot imitate his style, then you need to think of what approach may work for you. However, it's better go to out with guys that have SOME idea, because if they don't, you all will drown into a pity party, or just stand by a corner holding your soda, looking at the world go by.

So you must decide what type of person are you. You write a lot, which means that you may talk a lot. So if I were you, I would position myself at the bar, preferably a corner, so you can get people coming to the bar in different angles. First, start talking to the people around you, men women, dog, pig, cat, gorilla. Then as get going, women that come into the bar, include them int he conversation, or ask them silly questions, but make it sound like a matter of life or death. Example:

Girl comes to the bar. You ask her.
"I just need to ask you a question. Me and my buddies here completely disagree. But tell me what you think. Do you think thin ties are in, and okay for business, or they are silly and too retro 80?"

It's a dumb question. The summer the question the better. But the more room for fun that allows the better. Then talk to her, talk to your buds. Try at one point to get her number. But the best thing is to find something in common, like a band or some activity.

If your goal is to end the evening NOT single, you have a 99.9% chance of failing. If your goal is to talk to women, maybe get a phone number or two. You now have a 50 50 chance.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 281
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:42:55 PM

If your goal is to end the evening NOT single, you have a 99.9% chance of failing. If your goal is to talk to women, maybe get a phone number or two. You now have a 50 50 chance.

And that right there is a big problem. Getting someone to actually see any progress they make. I've taken one of my neighbors out before because he's been a total recluse for ages, and even though he was actually talking to women, he got discouraged because he didn't have a woman blowing him in the bathroom the first hour. ("See! I knew this was a bad idea!")

Once you change your approach, you need to keep hammering away at it. And hell, Hawk, you're a writer, go home afterward and type out what you did each night, so that you'll at least have a visual document of any progress being made.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 282
view profile
History
I don't NEED a reason I WANT a reason!
Posted: 4/24/2015 2:15:13 PM

I went there on my honeymoon, pre Katrina, It's a great, fun place. The last time I was there was way back in 1992 for the Faith No more, Guns and Roses and Metallica concert (epic, still one of THE best concerts I went to, only topped by AC/DC in Pensacola).
I know how to have a GOOD time.
You think they are ready for us?

^^^^^^^^^^
Im with ya gals, like it or not!!!
'tunia is ready

Not scared of gators or swamp creatures, I just love em..
Fla, Nawlins or Savannah..
Pineapple or mint juleps.
All good.

HOT DAM, Y'ALL
 kj521
Msg: 283
Posted: 4/24/2015 2:49:13 PM
Alright Ms. Petunias!

After three margaritas.....I'm not scared of nothing either!

Oooooh.....but wait.....that might not be good.

We might need to budget for some bodyguards to keep us on just this side of the law.

Cause.....let's be honest....ain't none of us as cute as we once were to keep out of jail.....and we are a long way from being as cute as Betty White!

I'll start researching the cost right now.....I heard malestrippers.com is pretty reasonable. I'll let you know.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 284
Posted: 4/24/2015 3:00:01 PM

Cause.....let's be honest....ain't none of us as cute as we once were to keep out of jail.....and we are a long way from being as cute as Betty White!

I wouldn't worry so much. A little panache, a little grin, a little fluff of the hair and you will get only a warning.

Hehehehe. Just have camera phones ready just in case.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 285
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2015 3:28:09 PM
Norwegianguy: Not in any recent memory but years ago my female friends would request my permission for them to set me up quite frequently. I was fine with it, so long as it wasn’t a pure blind date – the woman had to see my picture and know how tall I was. Not once did I ever hear from my friends again about setting me up after that conversation, nor did I ever press the issue (except arguably with my best friend, since we talk about everything, and her response would always be “If I come across a single friend that’s right for you, I will do it in a heartbeat.” It’s been years since I bothered asking her about that.)

And I don’t disagree with you at all about the environment around me in the presence of my female friends. But that kind of stuff only happened with my single female friends (I used to LOVE my second best friend’s parties – she just never throws anymore because most of her friends are now married/have kids and are too lame to leave the house). My married female friends are much more boring and don’t tend to wander from their circle at clubs and bars. I think when you get that age, you’re fine with the friends you have and not interested in making many more, at least if it requires effort.

“I think you have let this site crush your self-esteem.”

Yeah, trust me – that started years before there was an internet, much less POF. I will say it is probably no coincidence that the greatest period of my life (circa 10 years ago) coincided with the only significant stretch of my life that I was not on any dating websites. Obviously I had a girlfriend for a good stretch of that period but even when I didn’t, thanks largely to the above-mentioned friend, I was always meeting new women that *seemed* interested in me (not necessarily romantically) and I was not getting rejected on dating websites so it was pretty much bliss compared to the “POF Era,” where it is all dating website rejections and almost never meeting any single women that *seem* interested in me. But again, to be fair, I piled up hundreds of rejections (many of them quite savage) before the internet even existed, so my self-esteem was pretty bad by the time OLD came about.

“Dude, you are visualizing an absolutely worse case scenario there. How often do you actually see something like that go down??”

I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it if it hadn’t actually happened. More than once. Concussions suck. I can’t say I miss much about the days when I roamed clubs alone.

“Once you realize that you're not Pig, or that you cannot imitate his style, then you need to think of what approach may work for you.”

You’re misunderstanding that example. This is about women’s perception of my appearance next to a much taller man’s. As noted by Norwegian, this scenario is never helpful. It’s like when guys see a fat girl/skinny girl friend combo.

The director of most of movies, who is a very handsome six feet tall, used to hang out with me a lot in social situations, quite often without his girlfriend (he’s pretty continually been in relationships since high school). So a couple of chicks would come up to us and hit on him, and often he’d play along and try to deflect one of them off on me, and that never worked. Not once – they were literally more interested in a threesome with him than double-dating with me. Although one time, I managed to talk a woman I knew who was interested in him into getting her cuter friend to go out with me if I hooked her up with him. He had a girlfriend at the time but again agreed to play along on this to help me out. That whole thing fell apart when he didn’t show up for the date. Because he had a girlfriend. And so I didn’t get the friend either.

“You write a lot, which means that you may talk a lot.”

As I’ve said many times, this is not true at all. As the attendees of the Florida POF Forumites gathering will discover. There’s a good chance I will make it through Saturday and Sunday without speaking a single word. Happened a couple weeks ago.

“If your goal is to end the evening NOT single, you have a 99.9% chance of failing. If your goal is to talk to women, maybe get a phone number or two. You now have a 50 50 chance.”

I think you took the word “single” too literally in that statement.

“And hell, Hawk, you're a writer, go home afterward and type out what you did each night, so that you'll at least have a visual document of any progress being made.”

Actually wrote an entire screenplay based on my late 90s club failures.

Kj521: I don’t really understand this. We’re all just characters on a dating website message board. Sure, you can fall in love with characters in a movie or TV show and be sad when they die, but in the end, they’re still just characters.
 kj521
Msg: 286
Posted: 4/24/2015 3:33:42 PM
Mr. Hawking.....

I have reading your posts for a while.....over time you get a feel for the real person not the persona they attempt to project.

I just have a good feeling about you is all. Many here do.....you just don't see it! :)
 bamagrl68
Msg: 287
Posted: 4/24/2015 6:35:09 PM
peppermintpetunias- That would be great, Kj and me have already talked about a group meet.
I have my summer vacation time spoken for (going to see my dad in North Carolina).
So, it's looking like Spring is most likely.
Would you believe I've never had a mint julep?
I think I just lost my Southern Creds with that admission ;D
Any one that sees this that lives near us in the south, please let us know, the more the merrier :)
(edit to say all pof members are welcome, kj and myself are within driving distance, but anyone willing to fly in can join us too)
 bamagrl68
Msg: 288
Posted: 4/24/2015 6:54:37 PM
Dee4166- I went to see Pat Benatar at Bayfest three years ago (also Journey, for the second time).
She was AWESOME!
CarminC- Honestly, I've never worn stilettos in my life. I would probably go barefoot 24-7 if I could get away with it, if people only saw me at home, they would probably think I don't own shoes :D
A friend of mine suggested wedges to me and they are the only heals I'll wear, pretty comfy for heals :)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2015 2:50:55 AM

Alright Ms. Petunias!

After three margaritas.....I'm not scared of nothing either!

Oooooh.....but wait.....that might not be good.

^^^^^^^^^^
What happens in the south, stays in the south.

peppermintpetunias- That would be great, Kj and me have already talked about a group meet.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Update me later , sounds so much fun.
 CharminC
Msg: 290
Posted: 4/25/2015 9:38:22 AM

Dee4166- I went to see Pat Benatar at Bayfest three years ago (also Journey, for the second time).
She was AWESOME!
CarminC- Honestly, I've never worn stilettos in my life. I would probably go barefoot 24-7 if I could get away with it, if people only saw me at home, they would probably think I don't own shoes :D
A friend of mine suggested wedges to me and they are the only heals I'll wear, pretty comfy for heals :)

Ms. Benatar is awesome. No other words would do :)
and you saw Journey! *Gasp.... I would die to lay at the feet of Steve Perry. If he could just sing Oh Charmin instead of Sherry. That biotch. She stole my man!

Wedge... I tell you girl, it's the way to for the couple more inches (to height people, height!) and comfort.

re: mint julep
Whenever I hear about something that I've never tasted that piques my interest. I don't wait. I go and make it happen. I search for the recipe and scour the stores for the ingredients,come home... make it ! I've discovered so many things this way. I was able to have fun creating them, nourish myself with the flavors and spoil myself with the treats, feeling like I've lived and nothing is impossible. Know what I mean? You all should have a mint julep party lol... if I'm not mistaken spinoffs of the classic can be made?
Speaking of juleps and margaritas and whatnots, I just figured out how to brave the scary animals.
Liquid courage! :D
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 291
Posted: 4/25/2015 9:45:08 AM

and you saw Journey! *Gasp.... I would die to lay at the feet of Steve Perry. If he could just sing Oh Charmin instead of Sherry. That biotch. She stole my man!

Arnel Pineda was the singer when she saw them. (and still is)

But yes, Steve is indeed the man.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 292
Posted: 4/25/2015 9:47:31 AM

I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it if it hadn’t actually happened. More than once. Concussions suck. I can’t say I miss much about the days when I roamed clubs alone.

Yes, I can imagine it sucked, but you can't let that keep you locked away from the world. To me, that's worse than being punched.
 CharminC
Msg: 293
Posted: 4/25/2015 10:01:14 AM
Arnel??? *Makes gagging sounds*
It's like when INXS went public to find a new frontman and ended up with a druggie.
Has Arnel been fired yet?

NO one can replace an original imo
 Ouija2025
Msg: 294
Posted: 4/25/2015 10:03:33 AM
I haven't given up on Hawkings. I sometimes think he is just scared to let go and have a good time - without wondering if a date will lead to marriage, 2.5 children, a summer home in the Hamptons, etc.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 295
Posted: 4/25/2015 11:21:41 AM
CharminC- Arnel was the singer when I saw them. He sounds so much like Steve Perry, it's spooky.
The new singer has a very inspiring story, I found this article...........
http://www.biography.com/people/arnel-pineda-20860785#early-career
The first time I saw them, I took my daughter, the second time I took both my daughter and my youngest son.
They knew all the words to all the songs, we had a great time :)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 296
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2015 4:35:36 AM
Steve Perry ...yum yum

Talks are about a 2015 album in the works.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 297
Posted: 4/26/2015 8:39:22 AM
I'm the biggest Perry fan on Earth, but he's been talking about this "new album" since the Cro-Magnon era. So, I'm not holding my breath for a 2015 release.

But that's ok. He's 65 now and proved himself long ago. If he wants to take it easy for the rest of his life, good for him.
 CharminC
Msg: 298
Posted: 4/26/2015 10:10:28 AM
Bama, I still remember my shock when Arnel came into the picture. You're right, his voice is remarkably like Perry's! I'm glad you had such a great time at the concert. :)
Canwefindlove , I know Perry was not the first frontman. When Perry and Rollie were together, they did create some awesome tunes. Great records. But I'm biased, Perry has my heart and the fact he's been with the band the longest makes him numero uno of Journey in my eyes. Sorry *blushes*

I'm the biggest Perry fan on Earth

Oh no.. nah uh, ................... I AM!
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 299
Posted: 4/26/2015 2:16:28 PM
Arnel sounds similar enough to Perry to be a suitable replacement, but I hear their differences. Especially with the vowel modification, diction and Perry's raspy tone as opposed to Arnel's clean tone.

Oh yeah, Charmin? I have a tattoo of his face on my butt. Beat that!
 CharminC
Msg: 300
Posted: 4/26/2015 3:09:14 PM

but I hear their differences. Especially with the vowel modification, diction and Perry's raspy tone as opposed to Arnel's clean tone.

Funny, I don't hear those differences :P
On your butt???? And THAT makes you the biggest fan?

k...you win
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > "I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!"