Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > "I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 101
view profile
History
I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!Page 5 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
To say what has surely already been said, and without reading the whole thread...I think that this is another thing which at least partly comes from that cultural-gender-confusion jibber jabber of how women used to need a man in a practical way while men didn't want for a woman to get with him just for that reason...and this is the nowadays-woman trying to tell men that she isn't trying to have him just so that she can have some financial security and he doesn't have to worry about that being her motivation.
 Walts
Msg: 102
I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!
Posted: 4/21/2015 5:39:49 PM

I dont agree, I think companionship is a need. I think sex, love and care is a need. Thats why I think men need women and women need men (unless there is a gender issue but its still the same principle). I think without these your mental health suffers, your more prone to depression, suicide and other mental health issues. No man is an island, put a person on a desert island alone theyd probably go mad. Put that same person in a room full of people and fail to speak, care or love that person and they will still go mad.

And I don't agree that the above fits every individual on this planet.

For example. "I" get somewhat saddened and somewhat depressed when interacting with certain types of people in this world. Eliminate those people out of my life, and I'm not so saddened, or down. Increase the number, I am certain, I would be close to eliminating them myself. Every year, after spending two weeks to a month away from civilization, this feeling of sadness increases the closer I get to the city on my long drive home.

I also know more than one person that doesn't find companionship of another human all that great. Of course they are "labelled" by the majority, because, of how they think and live. Some of these individuals find this very disheartening, and can seem "down" from the outside looking in. Of course, these are from the majority, who are outside looking in. These people looking in from the outside, sometimes can't even fathom living the way these individuals do, so they find a need to "label". (loners, outcasts, homeless)

Not all people require to be part of a "group" or "partnership" to be happy and content. Many do but, I really don't believe all do. We are, after all individuals. With many people, they do have a need for everything modern society gives them. Who needs to grow food when you can go buy it? Who needs to knit, or whatever to put clothing on their backs, when their is a million zillion clothing stores in a million zillion malls to buy from? We, as humans have even evolved to require a certain temperature to feel "comfort". Why else would we have furnaces AND air conditioners??????

So, do we "need" because we are told to, or it's "expected" within the society you live? Or is this "need" an actual live or die kinda thingy? I think most of us would actually be surprised of what we could "live without" but, few are able to even consider such for whatever reasons.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2015 5:51:43 PM
Women taught me early in life that, I need to occupy my time with something beyond them. A stable interest that can be predictable, is challenging, and rewards me when I do everything correctly. It's remained the same through the years. Comes with written volumes of information. Tests me occasionally, but waits patiently while I find the answer. I need neither, except that one is predictable, and the other is not.
 Maleman999
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/21/2015 5:53:31 PM
The real test of distinguishing between want and need is the cell phone test. How many people feel a cell phone is a need and can't imagine a life without it, and how many feel it's want, where they can take it or leave it?
 Demidar
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:05:16 PM
Guess I would not know because I have never owned a cell phone . never had any need want nor desire for one . I do realize some people need them for their occupations etc , But to see these people in the stores constantly yapping as if they are very important , is very annoying and amusing at the same time . I hope we get hit with a sun spot that gets rid of the cell phones just so I can see the lost look on so many faces . Besides them saying they want a man is irrelevant . They say what they want then go pick pua's , actually they are getting exactly what they want , kind of funny .
 clooneystutor
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:05:34 PM
Interdependence. Synergy. Independence.

I dunno

I think some want a relationship to occur between the dates (interdependence) vs. those that ONLY want a relationship when face to face (independence).

Another perspective? YMMV
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:12:12 PM

How many people feel a cell phone is a need and can't imagine a life without it

It's a need for me because of the work that I do, but I sometimes leave it up in my room on the weekends, and come downstairs, just so that I can convince myself that I have a rebellious streak. :D
 clooneystutor
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:15:24 PM

Guess I would not know because I have never owned a cell phone . never had any need want nor desire for one

What if a friend or loved one needs to reach you when you're not on the couch?
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:18:47 PM
I'm trying to apply the "need a man" thing to that one popular theory of five needs:

- freedom
- power
- fun
- love/belonging
- safety

I'm thinking according to that, a man would be a "want", no?
 Demidar
Msg: 110
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:20:22 PM
msg 122 :Guess they will just have to leave a message , won't they ? If some one passes away there is not much hurry is there ? If I watch a movie that is maybe two hours on the couch with dinner . Other than that I am not in the living room much unless I am caring for my coral reef aquarium , bet my couch time as you call it is a fraction of yours . But then you already looked at my profile , mowtowncow .
Actually had women stop communicating with me because I told them I did not have a cell and couldn't text . Wouldn't want such narrow minded individuals any ways .
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:24:05 PM

Yeah it sort of gives off a player/slacker vibe to some.
I'll bet it's got you laid plenty tho.

I will plead the fifth on that one.

The real test of distinguishing between want and need is the cell phone test. How many people feel a cell phone is a need and can't imagine a life without it, and how many feel it's want, where they can take it or leave it?

I f*cking hate mine, and didn't own it until about 7 months ago. I leave the piece of shit in my car anytime I go out.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 112
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:24:10 PM

You don't really want it if it's a "take it or leave it" sorta scenario though. A want, as opposed to a need, would be where you desire it, but you feel you could make due without out it If you Couldn't.

"I don't NEED a beer! I WANT a beer!!"
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 113
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:26:58 PM
^ Unless you're a severe enough alcoholic, in which case the beer could literally mean life or death from withdrawal.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2015 6:28:35 PM
If life was lived only according to "needs"...then there would be no point in living in the first place. I'm sorry...but I "need"' to LIVE.

Let me wear those thighs like a hat, I say, until you're dehydrated. A woman "needs" it...just might not admit it yet. But she will...oh, she will.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 115
Posted: 4/21/2015 7:04:39 PM

I have not been in one relationship yet where the woman did not try to change me in some way

LMAO. Now that, I believe.

You certainly would not date a feminist, so I guess these women who have tried to change you have been traditional "lady" types. They don't like you either, huh?

But then you already looked at my profile , mowtowncow .

You DO realize that anyone can look at a profile without being logged in, don't you? Just hit search, then select "search by username". So...anyone could have looked at your profile without you knowing. So much for your sleuthing there , Sherlock.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2015 8:24:27 PM
Can't say I don't need a cellphone now. I dumped my landline 6 months ago for faster internet. I DON'T miss my landline going south every other month however.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 117
Posted: 4/21/2015 9:38:07 PM
To me need = depend. And I don't do depend. Want is choice. I'm better with choice. Shrug
 Dee4166
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2015 9:52:45 PM
HUGE difference between want and need....

In Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, love and belonging are 3rd on the list....

As many others have mentioned, that is a subjective call....

I can be amused with myself and my own interests pretty much endlessly, BUT I DO need to socialize occasionally and ideally have a partner in Life to share things with....
Also, I like sex and need to have it regularly otherwise I get kind of wrangy...lol

Surviving and living , as we know it, are two different things...

We NEED food and air and water, sleep and shelter to survive, we do NOT 'need' anything else for PHYSICAL survival...

For our PSYCHOLOGICAL health however, we DO need some measure of things like socializing, challenging tasks, sex, and companionship as well as play....

Are we going to die as a DIRECT result of NOT having those psych needs met?

Probably not, but Life WILL not be as pleasant and we may die of something indirectly related.....such as being alone during an accident, feeling depressed and as though Life isn;t worth living, etc....

Sometimes a need is attached to a certain person...as in I need what say Sally gives me in our relationship, as she is a good listener....Or being around mike makes me feel safe and comfortable to be myself, etc.
Am I going to DIE without those things...probably not, but again, it's about quality as well as quantity of Life, I think most people can agree....
While I still maintain that anybody who puts any variation of the "I don't need a man" on their profile, says to ME, something along the lines of there has been prior experience where the subject arose, and it didn't end positively....I'm one of those, if you don't want/like/are attracted to stuff in someone's profile, then just keep going....Chances are that's NOT going to be the person for YOU, if what they're saying on their profile has ALREADY irked you....
 Hearton64
Msg: 119
Posted: 4/22/2015 3:56:04 AM

I will plead the fifth on that one.

I'll bet you will. : )

Oh and I NEED my cellphone!

I've become completely reliant/dependant on it
as it's like a mini-laptop and I rarely even use the phone!

I'm posting from it right now.

So dang convienient!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2015 4:20:12 AM
I need people , Im happier if I have a close companion and a few good friends.
Heck, 1-2 great friends is about all you can hope for these days.

If you go without companionship for a years it "seems" less important than it really is, esp if you have met more than a few that fall very short for your needs/wants.
I will live a longer, healthier more content life sharing it.
But thats me.
I am fine alone "most of the time" and not needy of attention 24/7.

I actually do need a car , just dont need a fab/compatible one fitting my personality or be attracted to it..
Its transportation and independence.
Not comparable to needing relationships to me.

Maybe that statement is to try and convey a man is wanted and not needed for financial support?
Maybe its arrogant?

I think HOW its said along with other aspects of what people say will make that statement clear in its meaning.
Hard to take it the GOOD way from many who put that in a profile.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 121
Posted: 4/22/2015 5:07:44 AM

I actually do need a car , just dont need a fab/compatible one fitting my personality or be attracted to it..
Its transportation and independence.

Same here, fiery haired goddess. I'm no auto buff. As long as it doesn't look like it was pulled out of the bottom of a lake fater being submerged for 10 years and can get me from point A to point B, I'm good.

Oh, and a nice big middle finger to those who tried to vote my thread off. Ha, you lost.

I'll try harder to reinvent the forum wheel with something really special and unique next time.

How about "If you were gay, which forumite would you shack up with?"
 Ouija2025
Msg: 122
Posted: 4/22/2015 5:28:12 AM
Hmm, there are too many women for me to choose. I would be a chicken hawk and pick Charmin and Belle.
I guess I "nent" a Man. If Burgess could do it so can I
 Demidar
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/22/2015 6:58:19 AM
It always boils down to what women want or what women need . When they asked men what men wanted the women attacked that thread , demanding what men were required to want . Shouldn't be a surprise many of you will be alone a very long time with that attitude in play .
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 124
Posted: 4/22/2015 7:12:25 AM

It always boils down to what women want or what women need . When they asked men what men wanted the women attacked that thread , demanding what men were required to want . Shouldn't be a surprise many of you will be alone a very long time with that attitude in play .

I don't know dude. I wanted a woman with a high libido. Check. I wanted a woman that would dote on me and was first and foremost concerned with my happiness. Check. I wanted a woman that appreciated good coffee, good wine, good food. Check. I wanted a woman that was super skinny, very attractive, yet was also very physically active. Check. I wanted a woman that was willing to become a cyclist if she was not one already. Check. I wanted a woman with a weird sense of humor. Check. I wanted a woman that was not too materialistic, that demanded the mansion, the boat, the Mercedes but would be fine with a regular car and valued home for what we created, not the number of rooms or swimming pool.

So, so far the only conspiracy I see from women is the one that men imagine in their heads. And if you tell them what you want, what you desire, what you will put up with and what you will not. You will get exactly that.

I don't put up with tantrums, indecisive women, or women that play that gentleman card, want the guy to pay for everything and they don't offer anything in return. And since I don't. I don't have to deal with it, yet find awesome women that fit my parameters.
 gtomustang
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/22/2015 7:30:05 AM
there's a scientific study about what happens to babies who do not get social interaction.

Once you get old enough to be self-sufficient, you can spend all day alone on your personal island, but you'll lose your social skills talking to Wilson. Is it good for a human to lose social skills?

Never needed a cellphone until I was caring for elderly parents. I'm sure those with young children are in the same boat. As for a car, live out in the sticks without one. Its like not having indoor plumbing--sure you don't need it, but why live that way?

I can understand when someone meets the right partner, and then goes, "how did I live without this person?" Like money, even when you have enough, you find reasons why you could have more. Money is a tool, but you find uses for it once you have it in abundance.

The chemicals released in our brain "during love" are like a drug. We lived before we had it, now we live well once we have it. We make our lives better, and to continue living the better life, not the stripped down life, we need that tool (love, money, etc) that makes us more "us"
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > "I don't NEED a man! I WANT a man!!"