Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Police Officers across the county should hold protests…      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 8inscrew
Msg: 151
Police Officers across the county should hold protests…Page 7 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
What is the normal rate in which we kill our police officers?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 152
Police Officers across the county should hold protests…
Posted: 9/18/2015 4:01:40 AM

Police officers are most likely to be
killed in states where the most people
own guns, a new study finds.

The report is sure to be controversial,
but it adds a new dimension to a
conversation that's recently been
focused more on police shootings of
unarmed Americans.
This study looks at who's killing the
cops, and it's overwhelmingly people
with private guns, David Swedler of the
University of Illinois at Chicago School
of Public Health found.
“"Officers are three times more likely to
be murdered on the job in high gun
ownership states in comparison with
low gun ownership states. That was the
big wow for me."”
"If we're interested in protecting police
officers, we need to look at what's
killing them, and what's killing them is
guns," says Swedler.
Swedler's team used the FBI's
Uniformed Crime Reporting database tocheck on all homicides of law
enforcement officers between 1996 and
2010. They used a giant survey called
the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance
System to get data on gun ownership.
Their findings: The No. 1 cause of onthe-job
death for police is motor vehicle
accidents. But gun deaths came second,
they reported in the American Journal
of Public Health.
"We were not surprised to find that
firearm ownership is associated with
homicide rates," Swedler told NBC
news.
"The big surprise finding to me was the
differences in homicide rates among
officers in states with the lowest gun
ownership compared to states with
highest gun ownership," he added.
"Officers are three times more likely to
be murdered on the job in high gun
ownership states in comparison with
low gun ownership states.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/more-guns-more-dead-cops-study-finds-n409356
 8inscrew
Msg: 153
Posted: 9/18/2015 6:47:14 AM
Funny....

I found 28 in 2015. Yet 36 for the same dates in 2014. 1/1- 9/15.
Total number is up from 81 to 90.... but the leo gun deaths are down 22%.
Traffic and other causes are up tho.

I also am not sure Irish's gun grabber story/study makes an accurate portrayal.
If it did... wouldn't the top 5 gun owning states be the most dangerous for leos?

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/?referrer=https://www.google.com/
That shows the leos gun deaths by state, so far in 2015... and compares last years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-ownership-by-state-2015-7
That shows an estimate of where guns are by state.

Only one of the top 5 or 6 gun owning states has even had a leo killed by gun, this year.
Arkansas.

Ummm

Did Irish's story forget to count the top 5 or 6 gun owning states?
Or did Irish's story just kind of average them all together....
and come up with a sensational story slanted towards gun control?

Weird that in 2 minutes of research....
 gtomustang
Msg: 154
Posted: 9/18/2015 8:40:41 AM
well, I took a look at the first site you mentioned, and at the top of the page is :

January 1 through September 18, 2015 vs. January 1 through September 18, 2014

2015 2014 % Change
Total Fatalities 91 81 +12%
Firearms-related 28 36 -22%
Traffic-related 39 29 +34%
Other Causes 24 16 +50%

so, shooting cops has gone down 22%, the increase has been in traffic stops (likely standing by the driver's door rather than the passenger's door and getting run over or directing traffic around a construction site or accident scene. If it was the pulled-over driver during a traffic stop, shooting a cop I would assume it would go under firearms related) and other causes. As for gun owning states, Texas (According to that site) sure is doing its part. but according to the second website you mentioned, its not the biggest gun owning state.

Maybe the FBI is wrong in its records and this non-profit site isn't...or maybe the FBI study covers a longer period of time, since the first website only covers 2014 and 2015. Maybe it creates more data and skews the picture created as a result.

IF you scroll down on that site, you can click a map that tells you were you, a civilian, is most likely to get shot. Click back and forth between both maps, its a little interesting.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/law-enforcement-fatality-rates-by-state.html
also has another map of shootings. What are those 5 top gun owning states again? Hmm, those maps seem to overlap a little bit. but i'll likely run out my 15 minute forum clock here (no 2 minute search) trying to get all the info down.

not a slam dunk, but its an interesting point, none the less....
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 155
Posted: 9/18/2015 9:06:15 AM

8inch:
I found 28 in 2015. Yet 36 for the same dates in 2014. 1/1- 9/15.
Article:
Swedler's team used the FBI's
Uniformed Crime Reporting database tocheck on all homicides of law
enforcement officers between 1996 and
Mustang:
maybe the FBI study covers a longer period of time

Stang,

The thing is: some people don't know the difference between a study that is 14 years long (the article) and one year's numbers.

So, let me try to explain the difference.

If one were to use one year's worth of numbers, and attempt to create a norm, then the 27 Sandy Hook murders in 2012 would become the norm for mass murder. But, that's not the way statistics are generated...statistics, generally are the mean over a relatively long period of time. Some people don't grasp that concept.

What is the normal rate in which we kill our police officers?

Most of us don't kill police officers. In any case, I see it took like 15 seconds for you to find your google fingers...glad I could help.
 8inscrew
Msg: 156
Posted: 9/18/2015 12:51:52 PM
I didn't say I was representing all the facts, or that 2 minutes is enough to find them.
It only took 2 minutes to find info to refute the claim.

It can be looked at from all angles.
TX regularly has 10 times more leos killed by guns, than MT.
10:1. Some years it's 15:1.
MT has "more guns".

TX pop=26+m 35% own guns=9.1 million gun owners. Leos kia so far in 2015? 10

MT pop=1+m 52% own guns=520,000 gun owners. Leos kia so far in 2015? 0

The study concludes MT is the more dangerous for leos?
ok, that's rational.

For CBS to run a story like this is just sensationalism.
The study was in reference to job site safety for officers.
Do you think it's safer to be a leo in MT or TX?
MT or NY? MT or L.A.?

Does one look at a subject give a clear view?
Do statistics?

I see them take a period of time, study some data.... and pronounce guns kill people.
poppyc0ck

Best be making them hard to get. Then ban some.
They do another sensational story/study....
next will be hand guns. Then maybe limit the ammo. Then other guns....

See.... we didn't want to be subjects of the queen. Most still don't.
See.... guns are not the problem. They are inanimate objects.

The problem is the violence and poor decision making skills of who? Nutters!
Look at every cop killed by a gun. Ever. Anywhere.
They weren't killed by law abiding gun owners. (Accidents aside)

Just like any mass shooting/bombing ... whatever.
Legal guns/owners are not doing those. Not the problem.

Reforming the prison system would do more good.
Ending police corruption, would do more good.
I understand how hard a job it is, but that's not any excuse to act like many do.
I understand why folks are mad about the abuse, the favoritism, the discrimination....
I am too.

Hey wait a minute! Most cops carry guns. Maybe the guns are forcing them to be corrupt,
kill unarmed Americans for traffic violations, be bullies, illegally detain, search and seize?

I understand a gun on a table isn't going to jump up and fire by itself.
Why an otherwise rational person blames the gun, instead of the nutjob....

Obviously whacked.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 157
Posted: 9/18/2015 1:23:28 PM

It can be looked at from all angles.
TX regularly has 10 times more leos killed by guns, than MT.

Keep writing and showing you don't really understand what you're writing about.

The reason Texas has more police killed in gun homicides than Montana is, while Montana a higher percentage of guns, Texas has twenty times the number of police. You wrote about the physical number of guns...9.1 million gun owners in Texas while Montana has 520,000 gun owners...yet Montana, with fewer gun owners has a higher per capita gun ownership then Texas...52% vs. 35%...You don't know how to connect the dots...Montana has way fewer inhabitants-i.e. fewer police.

Per capita Montana averages 10.8 officers killed by guns and Texas has 4.4

Texas has something like 73,000 police officers and Montana has something like 3,260.

Why an otherwise rational person blames the gun

Guns don't kill people...people with guns kill people.
 8inscrew
Msg: 158
Posted: 9/18/2015 2:03:05 PM
I understand, just don't agree.

TX has a higher overall prevalence of leos killed.
MT has a higher prevalence per capita.

Still, if you took a 100 year look at the data....
Tx might have 1000 -1500.
Mt might have 100..

If you think here's a more dangerous place to be...
You are entitled to your opinion.

Thanks for being civil.
We agree that pencils don't write poems. Poets do!
Pens don't write bad checks either.

Edit: the reason I don't truck this study or the "theme" behind it....
It does not look at factors like illegal immigrants, the police "state", the differences between
Texans and Montanans, who is doing the killings ect....

Stats are played.
Mt has one of the lowest gun homicide rates, yet one of the highest % of gun ownership.
Now add suicide into the stats.... "gun deaths" just jumped astronomically.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 159
Posted: 9/18/2015 2:25:57 PM
The biggest problem, which is self evident in the polarization of this thread, is an us against them mentality. People have guns in lots of peaceful countries with low crime rates. The difference between those countries with low crime rates and those which are violent is the us against them mentality that exists between those who have been given authority and everybody else. In places like Finland and even in the uk, conflicts between police and the people they are possibly going to arrest doesn't result in a life threatening conflict if there is any possible way to resolve some other way, even when that might take considerably longer and require some patience. I watched a youtube video of the police in England in a stand off with a crazy guy wielding a sword and threatening to attack the police. No one fired a shot and eventually,,the guy was persuaded to drop the sword and be arrested. He wasn't thrown face down into the pavement or even treated disrespectfully. That's the sort of thing that gives onlookers a reason to believe they will be treated fairly and not think of the police as people to avoid.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that problem will be resolved in the us any time soon, if ever. Doing so would require everyone to think a little more deeply about why they think the way they think and how that could be part of the problem.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 160
Posted: 9/18/2015 3:38:39 PM

Still, if you took a 100 year look at the data....
Tx might have 1000 -1500.
Mt might have 100..

If you think here's a more dangerous place to be...

Well, if you're a cop in Montana it's more than twice as likely to be killed by a gun in the line of duty as Texas....safer??? The numbers don't bear that.
 deetristate
Msg: 161
Posted: 9/24/2015 3:50:29 AM
Are COPS just putting the public at ease by arresting the wrong guy (ANY guy) as the highway shooter?
 HondoGal
Msg: 162
Posted: 9/30/2015 7:09:56 PM
On September 21, 2015 another decent white police officer was murdered by a criminal black thug.
Officer Rod Bradway
Officer Bradway was a 5- year veteran of the Indianapolis Police Department and is survived by his wife and two teenage children. - See more at: http://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/2013/09/21/in-memoriam-%e2%80%93-officer-rod-bradway/#sthash.ctsTZZg4.dpuf

Officer Rod Bradway was shot and killed while responding to a domestic dispute call in a northwest Indianapolis apartment complex. Upon arrival, Officer Bradway heard cries for help and made entry into an apartment where he came under fire and was mortally wounded.

Officer Bradway was able to return fire on the subject and is credited with saving the life of the domestic dispute victim.

Read more: http://www.odmp.org/officer/21836-police-officer-rod-l-bradway#ixzz3nAX7meA5

http://www.wthr.com/story/23485781/2013/09/20/suspect-in-impd-officers-fatal-shooting-had-history-of-drug-convictions

INDIANAPOLIS -
Eyewitness News is learning more about Steven Byrdo, the suspect involved in the fatal shooting of Indianapolis Metro Police Officer Rod Bradway. 
Byrdo has a history of criminal charges and was on parole at the time of the shooting.  Eyewitness News learned Byrdo has been in and out of prison since 2010, primarily with drug charges.

==========================

The biggest problem, which is self evident in the polarization of this thread, is an us against them mentality.

Of course it is us against murderers and other criminals.

You cite British cops as not shooting suspects; Bobbies are not armed!
They can’t shoot anyone no matter how badly they’d like to!

The most egregious aspect of English criminal law is how it is applied to English citizens who choose to defend their lives and property against criminals intent on harming them. These good persons end up incarcerated! The thugs go free!

474bluemoon
Msg: 163
Posted: 9/30/2015 7:19:51 PM
4 police officers shot in Alberta in the last year, 2 dead. All shot by criminal thugs. Guess what colour the officers were and guess what colour the crimal thugs were. White. When I hear about another police officer being shot...the colour of the crimal never enters my mind. But I'm not a racist.
 deetristate
Msg: 164
Posted: 9/30/2015 7:28:23 PM
Hondo:
Are these people thugs?
"""""A married white supremacist couple who yelled “This is a revolution!” before shooting dead two Las Vegas police officers and a supermarket shopper, were high on methamphetamine, investigators believe.
Their killing spree ended when Amanda Miller shot her husband, Jared, before turning her gun on herself inside a Wal-Mart supermarket, about five miles northeast of the Las Vegas strip.
The couple had openly talked about launching a terror campaign, killing police officers and then of “going underground”, a neighbour said.""""

And I also wonder why you aren't angry that of the over 1,000 people killed by police last year,the largest group was not black, latino or asian. Guess who? Does that cause you any anger? If not, why not? And why aren't you protesting?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 165
Posted: 9/30/2015 7:28:31 PM

Posted by 474bluemoon:
"...4 police officers shot in Alberta in the last year, 2 dead. All shot by criminal thugs.
Guess what colour the officers were and guess what colour the crimal thugs were. White..."

Canada is clearly racist!
I'm kidding, I'm kidding. ;-)
 HondoGal
Msg: 166
Posted: 9/30/2015 8:17:25 PM

Are these people thugs?~Dee

ANYONE murdering a police officer is a disgusting excuse for a human being.

Why offended by the fact, and it is a fact, that the majority of white police officers murdered, that are mentioned here in this thread, were murdered by blacks.
That is what should offend you; not an analogy, which is obvious to all, that whites have also murdered cops.

And no, I am not worried about the fact that most persons shot by LEO are white. We are still the majority of the population so of course that makes sense. What does not make sense and should concern you is that the black minority are the majority cop killers AND the majority of criminals.

I believe everyone is entitled to a safe arrest…UNTIL they resist with violence; then all bets are off and if they get shot, too bad; don’t resist. After all, resisting arrest is in and of itself a felony.

==============================

This weekend we had a demonstration in Los Angeles showing appreciation for cops: BLUE LIVES MATTER

===============================

I was thrilled to see on the news tonight that this vile black woman was arrested for threatening to murder white people and cops:

CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. — A suburban Atlanta woman was arrested by two different agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice for allegedly producing a highly-inflammatory video calling for the killing of white people and police officers.
Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Marshals Service closed in an arrested Latausha Nedd, who allegedly made the Internet threats, and who lives a mile-and-a-half from a Clayton County police station,
WSB reports.

http://atlantadailyworld.com/2015/09/25/atlanta-area-woman-arrested-by-fbi-u-s-marshals-for-threatening-to-shoot-cops-on-youtube/

Second one this month, both from Atlanta.

The post read: “I thought about shooting every white cop I see in the head until I’m either caught by the police or killed by them … Might kill at least 15 tomorrow, I’m plotting now.”

This thuggery is what should concern most decent black persons, not that I call a black murderer a thug.

474bluemoon
Msg: 167
Posted: 10/1/2015 7:14:44 PM
Another school shooting. 41.....this year. You folks have a problem. IMO the problem is a love of guns.
 funchesf
Msg: 168
Posted: 10/4/2015 1:35:10 PM

Posted By: _Spinner_
Looks like the list has started funchesf, it’s not very lengthy though...at this rate it could take considerable time.
"Plenty of Fish" will be "Match.Com" by time that list get finished
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2015 4:37:47 PM

In places like Finland and even in the uk, conflicts between police and the people they are possibly going to arrest doesn't result in a life threatening conflict if there is any possible way to resolve some other way, even when that might take considerably longer and require some patience. I watched a youtube video of the police in England in a stand off with a crazy guy wielding a sword and threatening to attack the police. No one fired a shot and eventually,,the guy was persuaded to drop the sword and be arrested. He wasn't thrown face down into the pavement or even treated disrespectfully. That's the sort of thing that gives onlookers a reason to believe they will be treated fairly and not think of the police as people to avoid.

Well..2 points:

1. There are plenty of US cops that have done the same. Heck, I know cops that have disarmed perp's with sharp instruments. I know cops that have peacefully disarmed perp's with firearms. Not everything is on video, especially since most of this stuff goes on in private( persons apt).

I know a guy that was a good runner that ran around an empty parking lot from a guy with a hammer until the guy got tired and gave up. But for a situation like that you need an empty parking lot and a runner who can run with 50 plus lbs of equipment faster than the assailant.

2. Danger from Sharp instruments are the main danger to cops and the public in the UK , as well as many EU countries. Therefore ,the cops are EQUIPPED and trained to deal with this type of danger. They have "knife" resistant vests, and other equipment to deal with such dangers. Correction officers use the same equipment in US prisons.

US cops have to be equipped with Bullet resistant vests , because that is a common danger they face. Bullet resistant vests offer very little protection against sharp instruments. Apples and orange comparisons.

Plus.. in a large city, patrol cops can't wait until ESU (Swat) officers come to the scene of every armed perp incident. They are busy doing other stuff. There are also NOT enough of them to deal with the hundreds of thousands of incidents. NYPD ESU is a little over 400 cops. They responded to 150,000 jobs each year as is.

e wasn't thrown face down into the pavement.That's the sort of thing that gives onlookers a reason to believe they will be treated fairly and not think of the police as people to avoid.

Bad tactics actually..shame on them. They are safer to deal with when on their bellies. No excuse for bad tactics just to make onlookers feel nice! Plus I never seen a similar incident where the crowds weren't happy the weapon wielding nut was disarmed and scooted off.
Perhaps civilians are different there? In my neighborhood, you get "goodfellas" telling you to deal with the guy before they do..lol

And tbh I think it would be better for civilians to NOT think of doing something as crazy as running around with a sword. Don't you?
 HondoGal
Msg: 170
Posted: 10/5/2015 2:13:49 AM
Sadly, On September 30, 2015

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A police officer was killed Wednesday morning during a struggle with a suspect at a mall here.
According to Forest Acres Police Chief Gene Sealy, 32-year-old Greg Alia, a seven-year veteran of the force, was killed.
"Our hearts are broken," Sealy said. "Forest Acres is a small community, small police department. We're one big family."

Sealy said Alia and other officers were responding to a call…
Alia caught up with Hall near a Barnes and Noble bookstore, and the two began to struggle. The suspect then pulled out a gun, Sealy said, and shot Alia.
The other officers were able to subdue Hall and take him into custody. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/30/police-officer-shot-killed-sc-mall/73114288/

Murdered by,  34-year-old Jarvis Hall of Eastover, a black militant looking thug.

A great example of restraint by the officers who captured the murderer; they could have easily just shot him. Would have been justified use of lethal force.

The cops are hesitant. Afraid of the hype and distortion, caused by a few but made to appear a majority due to the enormous hype the media accords them, cops are not as defensive as they need to be. The criminals and thugs know this and are taking advantage.

A “struggle”. If someone is of the mentality that they believe they are within their rights to struggle/fight with a police officer they deserve to meet with lethal force from the cop.

========================

And tbh I think it would be better for civilians to NOT think of doing something as crazy as running around with a sword. Don't you?~Joe

We’ve got so many crazies. Usually the cops are polite; unlike the inferences made here. But when dealing with crazies or killers I’m all for at least the body slam.

LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 171
Posted: 10/5/2015 5:29:31 AM

Usually the cops are polite; unlike the inferences made here. But when dealing with crazies or killers I’m all for at least the body slam.

A video of Cindy Hahn's arrest shows a police officer raising a closed fist to punch her:

A 40-year-old mother is suing the city of Carlsbad, Calif., believing one of its police officers was out-of-line punching her in the face during a 2013 arrest, court records show.

A video from Cindy Hahn’s most “horrific day,” appears to show a Carlsbad cop slugging the screaming woman in front of her children, ages 7 and 11, as he and another cop struggled to pin her to the ground.

The take-down all began when Hahn left a birthday party and encountered police officers flashing their cruiser lights next to a car blasting an alarm, she detailed in documents.

“He says, ‘Is this your car?’ And I said, ‘No, sir.’ And he says, ‘Then mind your own f---ing business,’" Hahn told the TV station.

Her next reaction was to complain on a non-emergency police hotline.

He pulled her over moments later on an alleged seatbelt violation and arrested Hahn as her children watched.

Video of the arrest shows a cop punching Hahn’s face with a closed fist as she repeatedly cries out “help me.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-woman-sues-city-punched-face-article-1.2385301
 NOMUDSHARKING
Msg: 172
Posted: 10/5/2015 5:32:14 AM
Neighborhood cops for neighborhood folks. This alone could save suburban lives.
 afitnessmodel
Msg: 173
Posted: 10/14/2015 5:47:42 PM
Look up. Organize Gang Stalking. This is world wide.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 174
Posted: 11/4/2015 9:08:46 AM

Message #105:
Since my last posts in early August six more officers have been killed. Rhetoric meant to incite others to murder Police Officers and white persons must be stopped.

Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz was shot and killed on September 1, while investigating suspicious activity. The three suspects have not been caught.

This poor Officer was supposed to have retired last month after 30 years on the force, his Chief talked him into staying a few extra weeks.

Death of Fox Lake officer a 'carefully staged suicide' :

The death of Fox Lake, Illinois, police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was "a carefully staged suicide," Lake County Major Crimes Task Force commander George Filenko said Wednesday. "This staged suicide was the end result of extensive criminal acts that Gliniewicz had been committing."

Gliniewicz was under increasing levels of stress from scrutiny into what the investigators found to be criminal activity, Filenko said.

The officer had been stealing and laundering money from the police department program that mentored young people hoping to become law enforcement officers, Filenko said. Gliniewic was a leader in that program, and had been stealing money for at least seven years, he said.

The investigation found that the officer -- who had experience creating mock crime scenes -- staged his suicide to make it look like a homicide.

The investigation indicates at least two others were involved in criminal activity, though that inquiry is ongoing, and police are not commenting further on this angle for now, Filenko said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/04/us/fox-lake-illinois-police-officer-joe-gliniewicz/
 o0BrownEyedGirl0o
Msg: 175
Posted: 11/4/2015 10:14:49 AM
This is so weird... I have an old friend that lives in Fox Lake. A couple of days ago I happened to think of her and looked for info on the case to see if the perps had been caught and I saw the link to a story about it being a 'suicide'. I thought it a strange twist and now I see the story has finally come out.

Things are not always as they seem, eh? Killing yourself to cover up embezzlement seems a bit much though. Poor man and now poor family left behind. Not well thought out at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Police Officers across the county should hold protests…