Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Are the " Hi there or Hey you" messages from women automated?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 choppermonkie
Msg: 26
Are the Hi there or Hey you messages from women automated?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Flirt button option for women. Get them regularly and I ignore them. It's literally the least and easiest thing women can do other than not sending a message. Doesn't exactly make me feel like they put any thought or effort into contacting me. Probably the equivalent (with similar results) of a woman getting loads of "hey baby" messages...
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 27
Are the Hi there or Hey you messages from women automated?
Posted: 5/28/2015 8:41:21 AM

I noticed that most of the messages I get from women are " Hey there or Hey you ".

Me too, I simply ignore them.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/27/2015 10:47:00 AM
No. It's set up to show an interest by a woman to a man. If you get one and you're so inclined respond back with a short message and forget about it unless they message back.

Can you imagine the sheer number of hey there's an attractive woman would get in a week or day for that matter, hundreds maybe even thousands. I know one woman on the site who has over 3K meet me's, crazy.

It's simple, the site is made to make it easier for women to initiate contact, no different than when a woman smiles at you and approaches you IRL.

The site does not work without women, why make it more difficult than need be?
 Strings6
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2015 9:24:56 AM
If I get a message from a woman I am attracted to and interested in I will respond..even if it just says Hi and its spelled wrong...because in the end great expectations and other silly nonsense means nothing.....as one looks back over their past relationships few would find that they ended because of poor spelling,grammar or creative writing skills.
 south_city
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/28/2015 3:57:05 PM
When I was on a different dating site, most of the women that contacted me first sent me a wink. Or a short generic message such as "I liked your profile...". It didn't bother me. If there was nothing in her photos or profile that was a clear dealbreaker ( such as negative profile, obesity etc ), I would start an email conversation and see what happens.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2015 11:34:04 PM
Joegl

Next time a woman messages you more than once and you actually chat, get her to make a definite time to meet up, have an actual voice chat, get her email address at the very least..... She doesnt do that, move on. Some girls just like playing games and are not at all like their profiles so dont sweat it. Part of the online dating game.

As for the short introductory message, would not bother me if the profile was appealing and we could take it from there with further communications.
 Peas_
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/29/2015 7:52:54 PM
oh, hahahaha, Now I'm going to use that button all the time and expect a full, lengthy, well written response from an intelligent man that I have contacted first. I like that! bwahahahahaha

oh and it's called "Show Interest" button on the profiles that I view.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/30/2015 12:14:37 PM

When I was on a different dating site, most of the women that contacted me first sent me a wink. Or a short generic message such as "I liked your profile...". It didn't bother me. If there was nothing in her photos or profile that was a clear dealbreaker ( such as negative profile, obesity etc ), I would start an email conversation and see what happens.

In other words, an open-minded, logical, and common sense approach to online dating.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2015 11:31:53 AM
+1 ...post of the day!
 brownskin_natural
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/6/2015 2:24:08 PM
omg, that's all I get. I was thinking, gee, do I not have anything interesting in my profile at all lol. I just ignore those. if you can't put any effort into starting a conversation, I am cautious that you will have nothing to say on the phone or in person.
 pizzabit
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/12/2015 7:09:00 AM
no they are not automated. pof does not allow auto reply messages.. might be copy and paste however..
 sun_and_cinnamon
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/18/2015 2:45:44 PM
Yep I accidentally clicked the "show interest" button on someones profile last night and it sent "hey there : ) ". Geez didn't even know what the hell it sent until I viewed it under sent messages.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2015 2:49:36 PM
^^^Hey there ;)
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/18/2015 3:22:03 PM

^^^Hey there ;)

+ 1 ....post of the day

InnerGorilla
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/19/2015 2:39:07 PM

^^^Hey there ;)

+ 1 ....post of the day

Hey There ;-)

+1
+1
 CarinKorin
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/20/2015 6:59:01 AM
"Hi there" is what the "Show Interest" button does, but what matters is that it's a hint for you to "proceed".
We, women, are the ones giving you guys hints or signs, and it is you, guys, who have the power to listen or to ignore.
When I get a "hey" from a man, I either send a "hey" back (not putting any more effort than the one that was given to me) or I ignore it to let the man know that it takes more than a word to catch my attention. We teach others how to treat us.
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/20/2015 7:05:59 AM
When someone sends me a " hey there " this is how it is viewed :

Unattractive = the person who sent it is lazy

Attractive = I look up at the sky saying " thank you ! " and respond

Hey, it is what it is
 ladyloves1
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2015 12:55:15 PM
I wouldn't write off the flirt messages, which say " hey there". Not inarticulate at all, and a big incorrect assumption.
Many women use them as I do. I will send a flirt to demonstrate interest, mainly because 80% of the men I message, do not write back. THAT is I think, just RUDE. If I grow tired of that sometimes I will send a flirt to show interest, rather than writing a note. Not often but I use it sometimes. When I found out what it said I was disappointed in POF for not having a better, flirt message. "Hey there" is uninteresting, and not flirty at all. I wish they would come up with something more interesting!!!!!!!!
 hemingway234
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/18/2015 3:14:10 AM

So let me get this straight: From other posts in here the men are supposed to come up with some witty and articulate message even though we are supposed to have thick skin but the women get to just hit a button that says 'Hey there?'

Again, not trying to be a jerk here but can anyone else see a double standard?

- They used to have the flirt option available for men but women were getting too many messages (some women still get too many messages).

If men would not run around like man whores and hit on everything that has two legs and moves, maybe there would not be a double-standard.
 Walts
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/18/2015 4:29:49 AM
After being on here for years, I've always assumed that the sweet things had automated messages sent out to guys like me that said, "Hey there, screw off, you dirty minded perverted old man!!!!!

I guess I should feel lucky to get any response at all.
 Strings6
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2015 4:39:58 AM
Its very telling when a person expects you to impress them right away,chances are if a relationship develops you will have to continue impressing them or the relationship will be over when someone else comes along that impresses them,if someone contacts you then they are interested and if the impression you have on them and them on you is real it will last over time.....beware of the wow me now types.
 jaja808
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/2/2016 5:22:20 AM
I wouldn't get too snooty about getting too many generic messages. It means everyone thinks they have a chance cause they don't consider you to be out of their league.
It's kinda funny I have never once pressed that button. I will message a guy I'm attracted to if I'm feeling lucky or bored.
 Would You Like
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/21/2016 11:41:03 AM
Well, now that I have read every one of these posts to learn the origin of the mysterious "Hey there" messages, I am more confused than ever! (Nothing new about that:)
 Dinno76
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/13/2017 4:22:28 PM
THEY ARE ALL AUTOMATED.
 EvansFromHeaven
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2017 6:52:15 PM
They are Probably using POF Auto Message Sender. Heard a lot of raves about that program.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Are the " Hi there or Hey you" messages from women automated?