Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Another cheap tipper      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 118
Another cheap tipperPage 7 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I just read recently that:

More restaurants adopting no-tipping policyhttp://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-restaurants-adopting-no-tipping-policy.

Eateries at the tipping point
Restaurateurs consider doing away with gratuity as the state weighs a wage hike

One of the big problems with tipping is that it's blatantly unfair, and savvy servers have figured out how to game the system. Researchers have even studied the psychological tactics servers use to get more money out of diners. According to New Republic, here are the things that work:

Touching customers. The shoulder pat is pretty effective, but what really works is touching diners' hands.

Crouching at the table. Getting eye level with diners increased tips by as much as 25 percent, researchers found.

Drawing smiley faces on checks. This only works for female servers, though. Diners actually reduced their tips when men drew faces.

Being a blonde. Blondes get more tips than women with any other hair color.

Wearing a flower in the hair. Again, probably something that only works with women servers.

Wearing red. Men especially left larger tips for waitresses in red.

It all goes to show that tipping as a practice is inherently flawed. But many restaurants running on razor-thin margins depend on customer tips to make up
for the incredibly low compensation they give workers.

Until restaurant owners pay a living wage -- a policy many say they can't afford -- tipping will be there to pick up the slack. But diners are increasingly getting opportunities to voice their opinions about tipping.

As more no-tip restaurants open, customers can decide where to spend their money and whether to reward an eatery that encourages tipping over one that bans it. Depending on how diners vote, we could see more no-tip restaurants in the future.
© 2014 CBS In
Copied from Cranes, New York Business 2015
and CBS Moneywatch 2014
 bamagrl68
Msg: 119
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/2/2015 10:43:33 PM
Ladyinred4755- Eliminating tipping is NOT a good idea unless you also support these places paying a living wage.
I worked as a waitress at the Grand Hotel in Point Clear, a place only the rich could afford to stay, the prices for dinner were outrageous, they taught us to make salads with one tomato and one cumber and that's how it was described on the menu: salad with tomato and cumber :D These people had enough money to pay for a salad that wouldn't feed a rabbit, it cost 12 dollars and this was in 1987.
When I applied there, I was told that I would be paid 3.50 an hour, minimum wage at the time.
When people checked in, they were told there was a 15% charge that covered our tips, so not to tip us.
It didn't take me long to realize I was getting screwed, so I transferred to the gift shop and started making 7 an hour.
Needless to say, there was a high turn over rate with waiters and waitresses.
The time I spent waiting tables I barely survived. It might seem like a good idea, but I've seen it in practice and it not a good idea.
It was complete bs that we were receiving that 15%, they used it to improve the grounds and the golf course.
From time to time, people would ask me about it and I told them the truth. Those were the few times I ever got tips.
No business is going to get quality workers that are willing to be paid such a low wage, they are living in poverty.
If you want decent employees, you are going to have to compensate them enough to keep them there and that means paying living wages.
When I transferred to the gift shop, I was paid enough to keep me there.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 120
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/2/2015 11:05:20 PM
LOL, bamagrl68,
I'm not opposed to tipping at all, except for leaving a tip in one of those silly jars sitting on the counter where you pay for your take out order. THEN I have a problem!

I Posted / included the info/(facts, not my opinion) I read recently concerning tipping, as it seemed relevant to the subject at hand. The one article was written/Feb, 2015, the other 2014. Both articles were very insightful.
The practice of tipping the server, may very well disappear from our lives as we know it now, due to new laws, concerning minimum wages etc etc. Some restaurants have already done away with tipping, and have raised their menu prices, and/or added a surcharge to the final bill.
It is predicted that 10 years from now no one will be tipping the server or wait staff in a restaurant.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 121
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/2/2015 11:28:04 PM
Ladyinred4755- I knew you were posting an article, my response was based on what the article said, not that I thought YOU said it. My use of the word "you" was not a good one, "we" or "customers" would have been better,
Sorry for the confusion.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 122
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 1:07:15 AM

that was some time back and it was $35, she ate, I didn't on a meet and greet.
no wonder they call you eternity.

I think you bemoaned the tip, which brought up the cost of your final bill -- one in which you attempted to dump back on the restaurant (and on your prospect, over a phone call).

I think this is the typical response of a "flesh digger," isn't it? A cheap, no-tippin' player.
 gtomustang
Msg: 123
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 7:27:19 AM
one of the many issues with how much/little the server gets paid, is just like with the airlines, few customers want to pay for the full freight, thus creating a thin profit margin. we want a meal without e coli, but we want our food at McDonald's prices. Unless its one of those "see and be seen" places like Bama mentioned, where you'll pay thru the nose just to say you were there.
 tgif333
Msg: 124
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 2:59:59 PM
you got me pegged Miss Eternity!
yep that's me. I tried to hide it. I thought I could fool you but you are too clever for me eternity.

i'm a flesh digger, I admit it. a low life user of women who could squeeze the shyt out of a buffalo nickel, making Jack Benny look like a philanthropist. a no tipping cheapskate who would rip off a hard working server to save myself $2 bucks.

restaurants have my photo at their greeting area with a sign saying: "Not To Be Seated Under Any Circumstances"

I rummage in hotel lobby sofas looking for loose change. I even used to look into the change slots at public phones hoping to find a dime.

I help little old ladies across the street while fleecing them of bills out of their purse -ALL WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE!
 clooneystutor
Msg: 125
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 3:06:18 PM
I think you're pretty cool Tom. I hope I can age as well as you have and continue to be optimistic about dating :)

you got me pegged Miss Eternity!

I think you're chatting up the wrong person if your seeking to be pegged?

restaurants have my photo at their greeting area

Not at the point yet, but it does suck when they exclaim, 'Welcome back Steve!'

Ya know when you've been at this too long when the florist knows you on a first name basis and you know longer need Yelp to suggest a venue.

Plastic wine glasses, used candles and Charles Shaw aren't very appreciated either.

Can't catch a break these days :(
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 126
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 3:07:58 PM
Excellent, entertaining, and funny self-deprecating humor there, tgif333.

Everyone here knows you are a decent, reasonable, and courteous gentleman.
Hope you will be enjoying your new Florida home in the coming weeks.
 kj521
Msg: 127
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 3:20:36 PM
Psst! Ms. Eternity....I will give you the DL in a couple of weeks....there might even be video. I'll post the link. Don't tell anyone. ;)

What? Mr. Tgif?

Oh...I said....what a great time we are going to have with our motley crew....and what happens in Tampa stays in Tampa!
Especially if we're going to PlayaLinda beach. :)

*whistles and somehow manages a wickedly sweet smile as she walks away......
 tgif333
Msg: 128
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 3:29:56 PM
thank you Steve, Eric and Miss KJ.^^^
it will be a great pleasure to meet you KJ, as well as Belle, Bamagrl, Mr. Pig, Mr. Hawking plus others who would be our guests.

I flew into Clearwater Florida over this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find the dance clubs open at noon and several bands play all day and all night in many of the venues almost every single day. most are open air decks. I was tearing up the dance floor last Saturday night at a place called JD's when the 6 piece group played Motown called Act 111. I managed to choke down a few alcoholic beverages as well.

I've committed myself to a cute little 2 bedroom Tropical Cottage with amenities in the community such as a heated pool, game room, workout gym, laundry and activity room. it's right in the middle of all the Clearwater action with dozens of clubs nearby. I also visited Clearwater Beach where I walked in the warm Gulf waters and had a delicious meal at Bon Appetit in Duneden watching the sun set next to the water with my real estate agent. I walked in a local park and fed dozens of turtles and exotic creatures.

my U-Haul is rented for Monday June 8th and it will take 2 days to get there. i'm pumped !!! huzzah!
it's the start of my new life.
 kj521
Msg: 129
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 3:43:53 PM
Woo Hoo! Mr. Tgif!

I hope the ladies of Clearwater are ready for you! :D
 NikonGuy007
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 4:20:15 PM
Thank you, "bamagirl68".

My Atlantic City story happened this past September. I am somewhat of a misanthrope, and MY experience is that, more often than not, people are a HUGE disappointment, so I am sure that I got more pleasure out of relaying the story to people that I know, than the waitress got for receiving the tip and the accompanying e-mail.

Everything about her was, "YES!" Very "can do", pleasant, efficient, and enthusiastic.

If I live to be 90, I will remember her every time I even hear the word, "Atlantic City".
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 5:50:04 PM
Actually I was calling him a cheapskate because he tried to convince me not to leave my tip. Not because he was leaving $2.00 himself.

But I have been enlightened as to that being an insult to him. OK, I get it.

To call the guy an humorless cheapskate because he's not tipping how you think he should is a bit ridiculous and controlling, it's being to close to a situation sometimes it's better just to step back some.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 132
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/3/2015 7:19:23 PM

I think you're chatting up the wrong person if your seeking to be pegged?

LOL. Humorously, I can just see Eternity raising an eyebrow and saying "Alright. Fine... I'll peg this SOB..." -- I say that in jest, as I do not think tgif is one...

Excellent, entertaining, and funny self-deprecating humor there, tgif333.

Well, it wasn't self-depreciating though. It was faux self-depreciating humor, an actual ribbing back at her. A good one, don't get me wrong... he was making fun of making fun of those making fun of him.

BUT, Eternity does have a point...

that was some time back and it was $35, she ate, I didn't on a meet and greet.

It was a date, albeit a low-key introductory one ("meet n greet" date). But the only relevant 'rulez' that changes on those is the allowance of a cheap/laid-back place as opposed to nicer ones. I think That date was rude because she ate when it wasn't aimed/intended for it, and didn't even offer to at least contribute to the bill since she ate and you didn't -- and took it as if "Uhhh, yaaah" you pay without question given the somewhat different circumstances. So you did have reason to raise an eyebrow at Least thinking "She better be going out with me again...".

If I remember correctly, you Did in the end realize that you were in err getting ticked at her. In fact, I thought you beat yourself up over it a bit too much (because she did have a rude side to her just non-chalantly 'see ya!'). So I wouldn't say it was "some time back" -- that's irrelevant, as you're not 18 and new to dating -- but instead, I'd say to Eternity "Yeah, and that was a mistake for me getting riled up about then; I've adjusted since then and let everyone know, so need in kicking me in the balls for it." :)

But what gets me a bit is that this real estate agent wasn't even a date of any sort, where that other one was -- even if that one from before was a low-key date. The real estate agent's going to get a nice chunk of change getting you the deal (and it should be a good deal to get someone to buy into it, right?). It'd have to be a "holy-sh!t-how-did-you-get-this" sort of thing to expect to wine & dine them so big ..... OR aiming to 'woo her heart. :)

Actually I was calling him a cheapskate because he tried to convince me not to leave my tip. Not because he was leaving $2.00 himself.

I'm not trying to harp on anything (honestly!), but I think it's actually a bit of both. Part of your cheapskate call on him Was because he was leaving (a mere) $2.00 tip. If he left a $4 tip (40%), but there was still an argument that you wanted to throw down more cash -- I think you'd balk at using a thread title of 'cheapskate'. In the end, as you pointed out, it's good to know that throwing more down on someone's tip is an insult to them (indirectly calling them 'cheap', or in the very least 'not generous enough' if their tip was solidly over 20%).

When I applied there, I was told that I would be paid 3.50 an hour, minimum wage at the time. .... they were told there was a 15% charge that covered our tips, so not to tip us.

Okay, well, that's Crazy. I don't think one can assume a place would run like that which would pay their servers mere minimum wage instead of the sub-minimum wage, but as a result pocket all tips. That's nuts! I could only really see/expect that kinda thing for a Buffet where all they do is refill water and clear plates (a glorified bus-boy).

I think getting rid of tips is hard to come by, as it's a cultural thing. I think if it caught on some, it'd just Lower the amount, and would be OK not to tip. Like "Man, this waiter/waitress was good given how busy/slammed they were and my date barking at him/her all night. I'm dropping a $5 on this $50 bill...." I don't think it'd ever go away, but I think the whole "No need to tip" would take care of it.

Or at least an "Automatic Gratuity" (which WOULD go to servers) of like 17.5% as standard, 15% at cheap places, 20% at real nice places. That way, if the customer left a True TIP, it would not because they did their job decently but wow-- they were great (see other post about them being blonde, hot, in red, making eye contact lol).
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 133
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 1:31:25 AM

But I have been enlightened as to that being an insult to him. OK, I get it.

I'm a huge tipper when the service is good and friendly, and rarely does anyone argue with me. I'm with your original stance....there's something wrong with a person who argues against generosity. When I'm with anyone who also tips quite well, it makes me feel good.

Fine, who cares if he was offended. He's the control freak, has to be his way, his cheap way. Yikes!
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 134
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 2:31:59 AM

Psst! Ms. Eternity....I will give you the DL in a couple of weeks....there might even be video. I'll post the link. Don't tell anyone. ;)

That will be interesting. Will it also include you?
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 135
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 2:33:48 AM

i'm a flesh digger, I admit it. a low life user of women...

That is the most brilliant piece of truth I've seen in the forums, as of late.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 136
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 2:44:21 AM

If I remember correctly, you Did in the end realize that you were in err getting ticked at her. In fact, I thought you beat yourself up over it a bit too much (because she did have a rude side to her just non-chalantly 'see ya!'). So I wouldn't say it was "some time back" -- that's irrelevant, as you're not 18 and new to dating -- but instead, I'd say to Eternity "Yeah, and that was a mistake for me getting riled up about then; I've adjusted since then and let everyone know, so need in kicking me in the balls for it." :)

His regret was about as genuine as a $3 bill. (People like him never change.)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 137
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 11:30:11 AM

One of the big problems with tipping is that it's blatantly unfair, and savvy servers have figured out how to game the system. Researchers have even studied the psychological tactics servers use to get more money out of diners. According to New Republic, here are the things that work:

Touching customers. The shoulder pat is pretty effective, but what really works is touching diners' hands.

Crouching at the table. Getting eye level with diners increased tips by as much as 25 percent, researchers found.

Drawing smiley faces on checks. This only works for female servers, though. Diners actually reduced their tips when men drew faces.

Being a blonde. Blondes get more tips than women with any other hair color.

Wearing a flower in the hair. Again, probably something that only works with women servers.

Wearing red. Men especially left larger tips for waitresses in red.

People certainly are gullible.
I tip based on quality of service only, especially since I have experience evaluating quality of service with guidelines.
I have worked as a mystery shopper at restaurants, and none of the items on the evaluation checklists included hair color and wardrobe colors.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 138
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 1:23:55 PM

His regret was about as genuine as a $3 bill. (People like him never change.)

Oh, I highly disagree. In that thread, he questioned his motive for being upset -- and when he talked with her he was so glorified to get a second date and he smoothed things out with her and expressed regret about it (motivated by him very possibly losing her). He was really worked up about it kicking himself, and then elated with glee that he was going to see her again and things smoothed over. Also, add to that, his real estate agent. He payed some big coin on her happily all giddy & fuzzy about the ambiance of the experience (spirit fingers!) -- and she wasn't even a date! She's making money on the deal she got him (that's her job).

I think his tune changed somewhat on the whole thing. Of course it comes up -- would he have posted the Same thing in this thread about his real estate agent if his agent was an old man? Dropped so much coin on it? No. Nor would it be warranted or feel as warranted.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 139
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 1:36:46 PM

I have worked as a mystery shopper at restaurants, and none of the items on the evaluation checklists included hair color and wardrobe colors.

Yeah….I’m skeptical of these supposed “psychological tactics servers use to get more money out of diners”….hair color is a tactic? Wearing red and appropriate customer service are simply clever manipulative tactics just to get more tip money?

Also this “research” seems to suggest that restaurant customers are all men. I doubt many women would tip more for a crouching blonde waitress wearing red with a flower in her hair, who drew a smiley face on the check. SMH
 tgif333
Msg: 140
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/4/2015 3:34:37 PM
NG:

and when he talked with her he was so glorified to get a second date and he smoothed things out with her and expressed regret about it (motivated by him very possibly losing her).

that's what a beautiful woman with an appealing personality and a hypnotizing rack will do to me.

it's very motivating!

Clooney,
Miss Eternity peggs me every chance she gets because she's attracted to me.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 141
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/8/2015 10:46:59 AM

that's what a beautiful woman with an appealing personality and a hypnotizing rack will do to me.

So are you reneging on your position of paying for a low-key 1st-meetup date, even if the gal is taking the concept of the guy paying for granted? That's what happened in that situation. With your real estate agent, you paid a Huge bill on a glorified date-LIKE experience. I assume she had a very hypnotizing rack as well? lol
 hikkikomori
Msg: 142
Another cheap tipper
Posted: 6/15/2015 8:47:49 PM
Yuck, this crap needs to die.

American expectation for tipping is bizarre. It's one thing for a single guy to want to tip a hot waitress but it shouldn't be expected, taxed or expected as part of your wages, no sir! in japan servers will REFUSE tips. They are paid a living wage as they should be.

I will not tip anyone. Period. I would not work as a server unless I was paid a living wage, and I would refuse tips. Everyone else should do the same. The whole thing is just messed up and ass backwards. And it's not going away until it's FORCED to go away by no longer enabling it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Another cheap tipper