Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are 21st century, western women intimidating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 clooneystutor
Msg: 76
Are 21st century, western women intimidating? Page 4 of 66    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

What about the marriages that fail because the one of the people had an affair due to the spark being lost? Is that 'better'?

Yes, but not much.

Why marry when no spark was present to begin with?

Oh, that's right. He brought other things to the table besides the spark. He was the good guy and not the bad guy perhaps?

If the only issue was no spark then,

then I won't be bothered providing that eat, prey, love experience she's seeking now.
 daynadaze
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Are 21st century, western women intimidating?
Posted: 5/28/2015 8:26:08 PM
Oh the lost femininity and long lonely lives with vibrators no less, oh boohoohoo! What a load of bull. This is exactly what I was getting at, women who feel less like so-called women have problems that have nothing to do with being able to vote, work, buy property or not date men she isn't interested in. That's what happens to women and men, who are that way inside their own head, that does not come from being given simple, decent, equal rights. It's a big old tiresome load of BS from since the beginning of mankind, it's called manipulation.

Most people can accept that not everyone is alike and that they are not matches for everyone, while others need to demean, belittle, and blame others because they cannot cope with reality. So they manipulate anyone they can find who's taken in by manipulation by bashing them and pretending these people who aren't interested in them are somehow harmed by the silly, juvenile manipulator. Snore

And a side note, lots of men like what might be called mannish women, just as lots of women might like feminine men. Who cares, it's no sweet off of any of us, let people be with the types they are attracted to. When you need to bash, you are always transparent, anyone can see it, it's such a waste of time.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 12:13:29 AM
the thing with the spark is that not everyone feels it and mutually with someone along the way. Some feel that it soon goes away so better to marry someone who will be a good friend, who is there for us, a good provider, whatever. It is called "settling".
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/29/2015 12:36:10 AM

Literate_Hiker:
"You need to dumb down your conversation," a man told me within 10 minutes of meeting. "Men are intimidated by your intelligence and class." I was appalled.

Whom were You meeting, Forrest Gump? I haven't seen any of Your posts in the Forums in indicate this... By your posts here, Your Witty Banter is over rated......
How did You even get to the meeting stage with that person?

Oldmanhome:
Madam. Volkano, I agree to a point. Everybody is interested in "zing", but many women will choose the guy with not as much Zing but with more success potential. She may have great sexual attraction to the hot biker member of the Hells Angels, but she is going to marry the only so-so looking banker or doctor in many cases, because in the end, she wants to live a financially secure life with a nice house to raise her children. And if things are really good, she gets all of the other benefits . . . yachts, world travel, jet setting, ski chalets. How many women will turn this down to marry the UPS worker just because he has Zing? It simply does not happen in real life.

Most Bankers & Doctors aren't in the 1% & You under estimate what a UPS Drivers brings home in Pay & Benefits....

Whatsamatterbaby:
Sometimes I wonder if some men find it intimidating that I carry a gun?

Only the Liberal Whimps....... The rest would be debating .45ACP vs 9mm & 1911 vs Glock...

LetitiaLeGrande:
Every woman is entitled to the bad boy for instance, but only once, if she is smart. The hot biker who will be off with other women a smart woman probably does not want to marry.

I think My late wife might disagree.... I was riding My chopped XLCH the night we 1st met.....
Once I met Her, My womanizing days were over.......

ETA: VK..... Once again, You Rock.......
 Dee4166
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 4:23:14 AM
Oooh! I seem to have missed all of the 'fun'!!! LOL
Nice VK...well said and defended. although really, the masturbation description before breakfast, I could have lived without!!! lmao

Yeah, well, been told the same thing and I don't own a home or a yacht or make a six figure salary either....

Many men have said that it's because they feel 'unnecessary' or superfluous in my Life....as I mentioned on the interdependance thread....

Also, as soon as they discover that I'm not interested in what they can 'buy' me or are otherwise interested in THEIR acquisitions, it usually goes downhill from there....

Seems that when there's no 'hook', well, there's just NOT enough security there for many men....ime

My WANTING to be with them is just not enough....no matter how I may show them that....or tell them.

Many just want to know that I am somehow dependent on them so that they feel that they won't be rejected, or abandoned....Kind of goes back to that 'having the upper hand inrelationships when you care less' nonsense that was being discussed elsewhere....

Just smacks of games and manipulation to me, always has, and I tend to lose interest verry quickly when I encounter men like this....

@MP...Nice to see you back Oz...

In your case, I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a lot to do with location and the still pretty traditional attitudes that I have experienced from MANY Australian men...We get a lot of tourists from there here in Canada...
One thing I've noticed is a bit of a ...lag, in the changing views towards the traditional roles in m/f relationships....especially concerning money and property....ymmv
 GattoMonstrosis
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 4:40:10 AM

Just smacks of games and manipulation to me, always has, and I tend to lose interest verry quickly when I encounter men like this....

Never ask a question you're not prepared to hear "No" as the answer to, never play a game you're not prepared to lose. :)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/29/2015 7:44:03 AM

Some of these women have met men, got on extremely well, become intimate... all good, till she invites him to her home. He takes one look at her beautiful home with her favorite things and vanishes.

I will say that all of these women are charming, have lots of friends, can talk to anyone and treat everyone with equality and respect.

If a person gets into a relationship with a notion that someone is of a certain class and stature, and gets totally blown away because they are THAT much more wealthy, it's intimidating to just about anyone who is not used to that level of living. It's a natural reaction to flee. It's the "I don't BELONG here." feeling. I'm sure plenty of women have been intimidated in similar ways, but I think the difference between the genders is that men DO flee more impulsively/decisively than women would.

It really wont matter if your friends are nice and excellent communicators - there are some people at that "level" that are genuinely evil, and can keep a friendly smile and congenial attitude even though they are yanking out fingernails. Granted that's a bit of an exaggeration, but some wealthy and powerful people DO f**k up entire lives just for fun. An angry woman is highly unpredictable no matter what power or wealth they may have or not have - and some just won't dare to go where angels fear to go, sort of speak.

Even in community theatre.
Lots and lots of single women. At least 20 out of a cast of more than 50.
All with jobs and houses.

I have been a theater 'techie' since about age 14 - through school, professional organizations , volunteer and community groups. Community Theater is, sad to say, not a great deal different than the narcissism of the 20's club scene. It's a venue where middle aged ladies just LOOOOOOOVE to show off and gain as much attention as possible. Maybe it's not $600 shoes or new kind of lip gloss like it was 20 years ago - instead, its a probably new car or golf clubs or a $6000 boob job. I don't want to color an entire pastime in an unfavorable light, but after witnessing nearly hundreds of these housewives (or former housewives) with boatloads of disposable time trying to one-up each other, I'll never dwell backstage or go to another post show wrap party again, at least not at that level of 'professionalism'. God help anyone that gets on their bad side, too - you can SMELL the 'snarky' every time you come near the theater.

For those who DON'T have jobs or houses - the TRUE starving artists - who are working their butts off to get a break or find a paying job, sometimes getting into community theater is seen as a 'necessary' evil - but even a lot of THEM avoid community theater like the plague because of the reasons I listed above. A classy person knows their audience and is conscious of what they say to and around other people. A lot of times there is nothing 'classy' about community theater.

There are reasons why these women are single, and it's not always about their toys.
 Oldmanhome
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/29/2015 7:59:24 AM

I will say that almost all of my yacht owning, sailing, female friends are single. With one exception. Her husband hates the boat so she sails without him. The woman who owns and flies her own airplane is also single.... Surprise, surprise?

Some of these women have met men, got on extremely well, become intimate... all good, till she invites him to her home.
He takes one look at her beautiful home with her favorite things and vanishes.

All due respect, I honestly do not believe any of this. If a woman meets a guy and gets along extremely well, they become intimate, i.e., they have a connection, normal guys are not going to be either intimidated or vanish just because the woman is wealthy or has a number of material goods. If there was too much of a difference between the man and woman in the first instance, they never would have gotten along extremely well to be begin with.

So what is likely happening is that the woman is putting out vibes, whether she realizes or not, that tells the guy she does not think he is good enough for her, or at the least, she is better than he is . . . he sees it or feels and realizes the relationship is doomed. Its the same when a woman obtains higher educational credentials. If she earns a professional degree, she will unconsciously look down on the guy with only a B.S or B.A., and will decide that she needs a guy with an equal educational level.

I see this among my young Nieces. They have had long time college boyfriends, they are now going on to Med School, Law School, whatever, their boyfriend isn't . . . and all of a sudden he is no longer good enough for her or "ambitious" enough for her.

Women often screw up their own lives by having selective criteria demanding a guy who is her "equal" as she subjectively defines it, and so she dumps the old not ambitious enough boyfriend who she will NEVER be able to replace no matter how hard she tries.

So this is what happens. Woman brings guy back to her house, shows him all of her toys, unconsciously is one-upping him, and he is saying to himself . . . who needs this. He is not intimidated. He is just removing himself from a situation which he realizes is a losing game in the long run.

Here is advice from a woman to ivy league students: "Forget about having it all, or not having it all, leaning in or leaning out — here’s what you really need to know that nobody is telling you...

…For most of you, the cornerstone of your future and happiness will be inextricably linked to the man you marry, and you will never again have this concentration of men who are worthy of you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sheila-blanchette/princeton-man-marry-a-prince_b_2990208.html

What is the message to women: You are worthy of the best because you are the best. Forget that dork who doesn't have a pot to his name. Marry at the highest level you can find for yourself.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:01:38 AM
^^^^
+1

Well said.
 ohenryx
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:22:51 AM

Millionpaws
Some of these women have met men, got on extremely well, become intimate... all good, till she invites him to her home.

Oldmanhome
All due respect, I honestly do not believe any of this. If a woman meets a guy and gets along extremely well, they become intimate, i.e., they have a connection, normal guys are not going to be either intimidated or vanish just because the woman is wealthy or has a number of material goods. If there was too much of a difference between the man and woman in the first instance, they never would have gotten along extremely well to be begin with.

So what is likely happening is that the woman is putting out vibes, whether she realizes or not, that tells the guy she does not think he is good enough for her, or at the least, she is better than he is . . . he sees it or feels and realizes the relationship is doomed. Its the same when a woman obtains higher educational credentials. If she earns a professional degree, she will unconsciously look down on the guy with only a B.S or B.A., and will decide that she needs a guy with an equal educational level.

I see this among my young Nieces. They have had long time college boyfriends, they are now going on to Med School, Law School, whatever, their boyfriend isn't . . . and all of a sudden he is no longer good enough for her or "ambitious" enough for her.

Women often screw up their own lives by having selective criteria demanding a guy who is her "equal" as she subjectively defines it, and so she dumps the old not ambitious enough boyfriend who she will NEVER be able to replace no matter how hard she tries.

So this is what happens. Woman brings guy back to her house, shows him all of her toys, unconsciously is one-upping him, and he is saying to himself . . . who needs this. He is not intimidated. He is just removing himself from a situation which he realizes is a losing game in the long run.

Here is advice from a woman to ivy league students: "Forget about having it all, or not having it all, leaning in or leaning out — here’s what you really need to know that nobody is telling you...

…For most of you, the cornerstone of your future and happiness will be inextricably linked to the man you marry, and you will never again have this concentration of men who are worthy of you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sheila-blanchette/princeton-man-marry-a-prince_b_2990208.html

What is the message to women: You are worthy of the best because you are the best. Forget that dork who doesn't have a pot to his name. Marry at the highest level you can find for yourself.

Oldmanhome, I am a little confused here. I read your post, twice, and I read the article in the Huffington Post. I can’t tell if you (and the author of the article) are advocating women to marry only successful men, or to marry just for love. Or (perhaps) both?

To go back to the original point: “Some of these women have met men, got on extremely well, become intimate... all good, till she invites him to her home.
He takes one look at her beautiful home with her favorite things and vanishes. “

If I have gotten to the point of “becoming intimate”, I am not going to be scared off by her possessions or lack thereof. I have been forced to “drop out of the race” when a woman wants to travel the world, first class, and expects me to do the same. On the other hand, I have dated women who were extremely successful. They were happy to go with me to hear live music at a dive, they did not insist that I attend the opera, or spend the weekend at some foreign resort.
 eternalrealist2015
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:26:31 AM

If she earns a professional degree, she will unconsciously look down on the guy with only a B.S or B.A., and will decide that she needs a guy with an equal educational level.

Again I can ONLY offer myself as a counter example. I have a Masters degree that I got straight after undergrad. At the time (early 80's) the economy was tough and I wasn't able to find a job with 'only' a BS in Math, so my adviser suggested I consider grad school.

I grew up really poor which has made me realize that I don't need a ton of material things. My parents didn't contribute any $$ to my education. I slogged through and I've always been able to find a job (even with moving every couple/few years when married to an active duty military guy) so I felt like the Master's degree was not a bad thing.

I had a higher 'degree' than my ex-husband when we married (but he had a couple of higher degree than me by the time we divorced... my lack of keeping up with him 'success wise' was a disappointment to him, I know this to be true - we've discussed it quite a few times since we split and he has verbalized it). He also grew up really poor but it affected him differently, the trappings of success became more and more important to him. And now? Wow, he really lives large. It's sort of hard for me to imagine - I'm still very much just a regular joe (er jane).

Probably the 'best' (most balanced, most fun) relationship I've had since I have been single this go round was with a man who had 'some college' - never managed to finish up that BS, even though he did 20 years in the USAF and had opportunities. His choice -- I didn't care AT ALL about that. I never looked down on him - I was having too good of a time, enjoying his company. We were together for 15 months - the first 12 really happy, the last 3 not so much. He lost his Gov't contracting job and couldn't secure another position. Did his lack of a degree contribute to that? I'm not sure.

We split up because he moved away (after looking for 3 months here) and he didn't want to try 'long distance' - which may have been wise, who knows? I was definitely up for at least attempting it.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:34:55 AM

Its the same when a woman obtains higher educational credentials. If she earns a professional degree, she will unconsciously look down on the guy with only a B.S or B.A., and will decide that she needs a guy with an equal educational level.

this of course explains why women are better off remaining uneducated. because educated women don't know how to make informed decisions for themselves, and only men should be able to compare themselves against the women they view as either their equal or unsuitable for more than NSA sex.

your young nieces have their entire adult lives ahead of them, so in the process of growing into their own adulthood and figuring out what they want, they SHOULD be moving on when they finally figure out their boyfriends aren't that interesting. just as young men will do with the women they're dating in college. IT'S NORMAL.
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:42:27 AM

I will say that all of these women are charming, have lots of friends, can talk to anyone and treat everyone with equality and respect.

Yup I've responded before to similar threads of this nature - yea I do find these women somewhat intimidating and competitive. I think in order to be successful you have to have some of these traits, and in terms of personal success I think there is nothing wrong with these traits. However, when it comes to dating - I often find that the intimidation and competitiveness is simply ingrained in their general personalities, to the point that I simply avoid dating types like this.

Please know, I think its great that women can (and are) having successful careers and we are striving for gender equality. There are guys out there (as proven in this thread) that have no problem dating successful women. However, as a reasonably successful guy myself, I find my personality often clashes with women like this when it comes to dating.

In business - I absolutely LOVE these women. Sharp, articulate, motivated and driven to get things done- total sharks!! Also very pleasant to talk to and have intelligent, stimulating conversation. They make powerful business partners and add huge credibility to the business I'm in. However, it ends there. I put these women straight into the friend zone, regardless of how good they look or how nice they are in conversation. Personal relationships and professional relationships are two VERY different things.

In any case, I stay away from dating successful women.

Just my 0.2c
 Oldmanhome
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:48:33 AM
Yes its normal for people to move on. However, it still might be a huge mistake. Its not that their boyfriends were no longer "interesting", its that their boyfriends were simply no longer good enough for them. What they don't know now but will likely learn as the years roll by is that they just might be making a huge mistake. There are a number of women who moved on and only years later realized that guy who they dated in adolescence, who they left behind, was their only true and great love of their lives. This happens far more often than you might realize. Guys don't have this problem because guys don't end relationships with women simply because they are not "ambitious" enough or their "equals" however defined.
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:50:43 AM

Precisely!! I'd just rather not bother with this..............

Great comment!!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 91
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:51:39 AM
I think the business of degrees is more important (relationship wise)
when you're younger.

When you're older, does anyone really care what degree you got back
in your 20's or 30's?
I think it's funny old poots such as myself not wanting to date someone
who doesn't have some sort of degree. I don't even mention my education,
because frankly, who gives a shyte? No one cares what your GPA was,
unless you're applying for a job.

And we need a dictionary here for the definition of witty.
I know witty people who never graduated from high school.

I don't feel intimated by anyone's personal belongings.
I remember a bunch of years ago when I worked at the court house,
someone came in to pay a parking ticket...and they did it with a hundred
dollar bill. Told me to notice what type of car they drove (it was a Cadillac)
and asked me what that told me...I said it told me he had a higher car
payment than I did.

Still holds true today.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:56:19 AM

Its the same when a woman obtains higher educational credentials. If she earns a professional degree, he will unconsciously look down on the guy with only a B.S or B.A., and will decide that she needs a guy with an equal educational level.

Or she finds that she enjoys the company of other highly educated people. Or she finds that she enjoys being with someone with shared academic experiences. It may not be about moving away from the man with less education but toward a more educated person for her own reasons. It doesn't mean she looks down on the guy with the basic degree.

They have had long time college boyfriends, they are now going on to Med School, Law School, whatever, their boyfriend isn't . . . and all of a sudden he is no longer good enough for her or "ambitious" enough for her.

So, if you date a person through college, what? You're stuck with that person for life?

Some people rank "ambition" fairly high on their list of "must haves" when looking for a life partner. Others, not so much. It only matters that they are on the same page.
 Oldmanhome
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:59:11 AM

had a higher 'degree' than my ex-husband when we married (but he had a couple of higher degree than me by the time we divorced... my lack of keeping up with him 'success wise' was a disappointment to him, I know this to be true - we've discussed it quite a few times since we split and he has verbalized it)

First of all, obviously my opinion only applies to some relationships, not all. Second of all, your ex-husband obviously had significant potential when you married and so, the theory really applies to you also. Its when women bypass their boyfriends and conclude he will never be her equal that problems arise.

In the end, material goods do not bring happiness. Everybody needs enough money to live decently, to have a roof over the head and food on the table, to be able to provide for their families. So there is a minimum threshold. But once people are there, accumulating things does not bring happiness. Relationships, love, friends . . bring happiness. And of course, the very well to do also at times have high stress lives and very busy lives. That does not always help in the happiness department either.

The real problem is that people look at other people to judge their own self worth. If you are a millionaire but live in a neighborhood of billionaires, you may feel like a total failure. And I believe that is what the women who show off their toys are doing to the guys they bring home. They are telling him. I have this and you don't. You are a failure. Of course they don't say that, but that is how they are making the guy feel. Who would stay under those circumstances?
 eternalrealist2015
Msg: 94
Posted: 5/29/2015 8:59:56 AM

Guys don't have this problem because guys don't end relationships with women simply because they are not "ambitious" enough or their "equals" however defined.

No but men (maybe particularly young ones) end relationships with women for other reasons that they may regret.

I STILL hear from my HS boyfriend more than is reasonable. He has tagged me with the 'one who got away' and it's ridiculous how much it seems to affect him. He is divorced now and wants me to give him a chance.

meh. We knew each other when we were kids. He doesn't even know me anymore. Maybe if he was local I'd consider it, but in my mind if the things he says to me are true (and I totally get that they may not be, but not sure what intended affect they were to have on me - mainly I just get annoyed with him) his belief in me as 'the one' is holding HIM back.
 Oldmanhome
Msg: 95
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:06:52 AM

I STILL hear from my HS boyfriend more than is reasonable. He has tagged me with the 'one who got away' and it's ridiculous how much it seems to affect him. He is divorced now and wants me to give him a chance.

Don't discount what he is feeling. This "lost love" thing is very real and very strong. And the strongest and deepest loves generally arise in the young. They are just too immature to realize it or deal with it. And the research shows that if "lost loves" rekindle and have a relationship, those relationships are some of the strongest out there, the marriages the most successful. So just because you don't feel anything, his feelings are probably very strong.

And yes, I have heard from old girlfriends from my youth. They too have been divorced, or in one case, a not so good marriage. I have greatly limited our communication because I am not in a position to offer them anything. But if you are in such a position, distance should not be any kind of impediment. It might be worth your effort to take it further.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 96
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:07:48 AM
Now, them gals from the 19th century?

I'm gonna fire up my hot tub time machine...
 Oldmanhome
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:07:56 AM

Oldmanhome, I am a little confused here. I read your post, twice, and I read the article in the Huffington Post. I can’t tell if you (and the author of the article) are advocating women to marry only successful men, or to marry just for love. Or (perhaps) both?

Yes, I gave the wrong link, but you can follow the links in the story itself, or just google something to the extent of marry ivy league, etc.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 98
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:14:29 AM

If you are a millionaire but live in a neighborhood of billionaires, you may feel like a total failure.

you can't be serious.
most wealthy people didn't get that way by being petty and short-sighted.

And I believe that is what the women who show off their toys are doing to the guys they bring home. They are telling him. I have this and you don't. You are a failure.

yep that's what you believe. sounds like a classic case of low self esteem and projection.

Of course they don't say that, but that is how they are making the guy feel.

nobody is making the guy feel anything. the guy is looking at her 'stuff' and feeling like a failure because that's how he feels. poor fella.

therefore, successful women are to be shamed and accused of being 'intimidating' because certain men decided that a woman's success says something negative about him by implication and default.

there's nothing new or persuasive about your brand of puerile sexism.
 eternalrealist2015
Msg: 99
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:15:09 AM

But if you are in such a position, distance should not be any kind of impediment. It might be worth your effort to take it further.

Actually HE is pretty overweight now - maybe I should buy him a fitbit??

(To the rest - referencing another forum thread)
 Oldmanhome
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:18:35 AM

yep that's what you believe. sounds like a classic case of low self esteem and projection.

Its really impossible for anybody to have a conversation with you without your insulting them or saying something offensive. If you need any advise in modifying that nasty temperament of yours, message me and I will do the best I can to help you by giving you some pointers.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are 21st century, western women intimidating?