Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are 21st century, western women intimidating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1501
view profile
History
Are 21st century, western women intimidating? Page 61 of 66    (26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66)

I wouldn't like to think I can't get a date in my own damn county! And in all of the even bigger USA if you can't find a match, the problem might be with you.

I have been reading this forum and so i went to view some of the video on foreign brides. Your statement brought to mind something i want to express. You seem to belittle these men who are willing to seek a partner from somewhere but here. I see them as looking for some form of happiness which in and of itself is hardly an hostile act. So why the sarcasm. Why not some empathy?

In my opinion men still want old fashioned women. Western feminist do not need a man, hardly want one, compete against and secretly do not like men (patriarchy). It occurs to me that all these places where men go to find women have not gone through phase 3 radical feminism.

I am not an advocate either way. i am not going there but i could understand the men that try. The short guy truly looked happy in the arms of his much taller date. Who cares? I am glad he is happy.

Agreed, but they are being critical because the poster put them (American women) down as being "toxic". If he just said he found what works for him, very few would have attacked him. There is another guy in this thread who EVERYONE gets along with who has a foreign wife and no one ever criticizes him. Attitude is everything.

In addition, it is obvious there is some commercial promotion going on in the background. This is wrong and a violation even, apparently. This isn't the 1st time either this sort of thing has happened. A famous misogynist blogger actually sent one of his Hench men(partner) hereto sell the idea of going abroad to men once or twice, with empty promises. His forum was even linked here! So members are a bit jumpy when they hear the same speeches.

I am pretty sure if tact was used from the beginning..responding posts would have been more tolerant.
 7seatac
Msg: 1502
Are 21st century, western women intimidating?
Posted: 8/24/2015 9:11:11 PM
The actual smart man here, Otto, said nothing untoward was going on regarding the fellow touting foreign brides. I believe Otto.

The travel overseas to find a mate has been going on for years. I know a few that have wives from the Phillipines and a few from Lebanon. Not a big deal. If you can't find what you seek down the block or across town, who cares. Two people win in this. And I'm sure the divorce rate is just the same or maybe even less than if Ken married Barbie from down the street.

By reading the forums, no one wants the short guy or the bald guy or the short bald beta guy. They all want alpha men with good jobs, good looks, good height, a good wallet and will pamper them.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 1503
Posted: 8/24/2015 9:52:16 PM

By reading the forums, no one wants the short guy or the bald guy or the short bald beta guy. They all want alpha men with good jobs, good looks, good height, a good wallet and will pamper them.

Yes the forums, but not in the real world--there are short or bald or short bald guys who are happy in relationships...not every woman wants the alpha man blah blah blah...but the keyboard jockeys who like to make others think they have a perfect life seem to want to cast the opposite sex in as bad a light as possible and reduce individuals down to something as simplicity as height and hair...

Quality people will normally not care the height or the amount of hair a man has--they look for something less shallow.
 22susie22
Msg: 1504
Posted: 8/24/2015 10:09:41 PM

Your statement brought to mind something i want to express. You seem to belittle these men who are willing to seek a partner from somewhere but here. I see them as looking for some form of happiness which in and of itself is hardly an hostile act. So why the sarcasm. Why not some empathy?

Empathy for what? I live in the best country in the world with the best people. If I can't find a man here, then yes I believe there must be something very undesirable about me or, or that I am too picky. That's not sarcasm. It's my sincere belief.

I am not an advocate either way. i am not going there but i could understand the men that try. The short guy truly looked happy in the arms of his much taller date. Who cares? I am glad he is happy.

Like you, I have no vested interest either way, but I thought it was okay to discuss opinions. I would date someone who immigrated here, as I have nothing against other cultures, but I don't think the men here are so inferior, nor do I think I am so superior that I can't find a mutual attraction without going half way around the world.

Western feminist do not need a man, hardly want one, compete against and secretly do not like men (patriarchy). It occurs to me that all these places where men go to find women have not gone through phase 3 radical feminism.

Most women here have not "gone through phase 3 radical feminism" either. Of all the millions of women in US and Canada, a very small percentage of them can fairly be called "radical" feminists ( prob about the the same number of men who are truly misogynistic).
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 1505
Posted: 8/24/2015 10:51:47 PM
Dweebs and spread sheets
https://youtu.be/qAhO5SLF9Ck

Letter writing from the other side of the coin
Women writing to prisoners because they are nearly the supermarket mall of Bad-Boys...... 'It takes a strong woman to love a convict' - they say 'empowering' ..... 8?/
https://youtu.be/DfQNyQkFNa4
the video is a bit dated - so reference this years swarm of wedding proposals and internet swoon for throat tattoo boy
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/02/06/hot-mugshot-guy-sentenced-prison/23006113/

And for a long stream of 100 videos on the Toxic situation of it all; I highly recommend and suggest Terrence Popp - search and yee shall find.

Toxic....and I would add dysfunctional.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 1506
Posted: 8/24/2015 11:10:02 PM

Unattractive human beings will use money or sex, or both, to attract a partner, minus the chemistry.

Learning how to cook and use scented hand lotion, are a man's most cost effective approach to...life.

Women?

Well, I let them speak for themselves....
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 1507
Posted: 8/25/2015 12:09:22 AM
Just to clear up one thing: youtu.be is not a way to misdirect someone.

http://www.geek.com/news/google-unveils-youtu-be-shortener-that-cuts-down-video-links-by-15-characters-1029511/

That page has all the details.
 deetristate
Msg: 1508
Posted: 8/25/2015 3:57:16 PM
Define "unattractive?"
I would date a Danny Devito-type any minute. >>>>>charming and smart and funny.

I wouldn't touch Brad Pitt-type with a (dating) glove.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1509
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2015 4:27:06 PM
^^^What about when he played the Penguin?

Most women here have not "gone through phase 3 radical feminism" either. Of all the millions of women in US and Canada, a very small percentage of them can fairly be called "radical" feminists ( prob about the the same number of men who are truly misogynistic).

I don't even think I ever met a feminist, or at least a women I couldn't bend to pretend she wasn't one. ;p
 2ufo
Msg: 1510
Posted: 8/25/2015 5:42:47 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinions - no matter how stupid I think they are (the opinions, not necessarily the person).

So very often it seems to me that many men go overseas seeking a wife with the idea that he will be a rich person in a 3rd world nation. That he will delight her with his largesse, marry her, and bring her back to the castle. I can understand why and how a man would think this way.

The problem becomes time and acclimation and cultural differences. He hasn't realized that once she becomes acclimated to the US, she will realize that he isn't 'rich' and his generosity will disappear into the daily economy. He hadn't realized that she will not want to work or may not be able to work outside the home due to language or cultural differences. Perhaps, he didn't realize that in her culture the sibling who made good is often responsible for the remainder of the family. He begins to resent her for the demands she's making on him and she resents him for 'deceiving' her by only 'pretending' to be rich while he was in her country.

While I'm sure that international marriages can work, it simply seems like handicapping yourself by intentionally seeking someone of a different nationality/culture/religion/political structure.

AJoe - a feminist takes pride in making her own decisions and, if she decides to enjoy the pleasures of sexual gratification...
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 1511
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2015 5:48:28 PM
American women can't win this game.....if we are "self-sufficient" we are "toxic b-----".

If we are clingy and appear helpless and financially weak, we are "gold diggers."

What a life!
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 1512
Posted: 8/26/2015 4:38:50 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much
do your thing
a strong, confident man will not be intimidated by a confident woman :)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 1513
Posted: 8/26/2015 5:02:27 AM

Empathy for what? I live in the best country in the world with the best people. If I can't find a man here, then yes I believe there must be something very undesirable about me or, or that I am too picky. That's not sarcasm. It's my sincere belief.

If this were really true, then everyone should search for a mate in Canada, since they have the "best people" in the world.

Or is it just nova scotia with the best people?
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 1514
Posted: 8/26/2015 6:29:12 AM

7seatac :

Also don’t forget to mention that according to the forum armchair experts, to be successful online dating we also have to own a car.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 1515
Posted: 8/26/2015 6:51:44 AM

Also don’t forget to mention that according to the forum armchair experts, to be successful online dating we also have to own a car.

What's even stranger is that it's a question on the profiles...do you own a car.
Wonder why they decided on car and not house, boat or gun?
People who don't own cars (I assume) know they can't fly...they must have a way of getting around.
I think it's a weird question to ask.
Wonder who the person was that said we should ask about cars when they were setting this thing up.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 1516
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:00:13 AM
Having a car is pretty important in LA. I won't date anyone who hasnt got one-it just isn't practical. Los Angeles is 500 square miles 'round. Public transportation sucks at best and in some cases impossible, unless you want to turn a 40 minute trip into a 3 hour ordeal with transfers. (to the airport from where I live, for example)

Map here explains how several major cities in the US can easily fit into LA county:

http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/6030-10-unusual-maps-of-los-angeles

You need a car.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 1517
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:30:32 AM

Also don’t forget to mention that according to the forum armchair experts, to be successful online dating we also have to own a car

you could do online dating with skype, a twitter account and a bottle of hand lotion.... but to show up for a date IRL, you actually need a car in most parts of this country. NYC doesn't count. great photo of you in front of the Trump Tower, btw. very timely.

I don't think it's an unfair question to ask, whether there's an expectation that i'd have to drive some guy everywhere or plan my social life around bus schedules. it's not something i'd agree to.

I def. see a growing niche market for the people at Uber... driving people without jobs or cars to dates.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 1518
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:33:03 AM
I get that you need a car...I couldn't live without mine either.
There is not a bus or train service near my house.

Just think it's odd it would be a question on a profile.
Must be a lot of people out there without cars.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 1519
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:37:43 AM
Probably just filler. I never considered the questions they pose as important anyway. The most important thing is actually meeting the person for real. Profiles are just rudimentary packaging.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 1520
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:39:03 AM
Most of us here have a car, (or truck, LOL).
The real question is..............What make, model and year is your vehicle?

Now THAT is the punchline, LOL!
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1521
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:58:54 AM

Well actually I agree with the forum armchair experts on that. Remember you came from Brooklyn which is IN the most walk able city in the country and has I think the only 24/7 mass transit system in the world(London is suppose to be adding service I think)

Philly is also similar in many respects. But even in Brooklyn having NO care makes dating harder. Sure if you live in the gentrified areas near the bridges it isn't so bad.

But what about Mill Basin, Marine park, Bergen Beach, and Southern Brooklyn(the safest residential) areas. I am from Southern Brooklyn, 50 feet from a subway stop, but at night it takes over 45 minutes to get to midtown. A car ride can get you there in 15-20 minutes. Go to the Bronx in a car will take 45 minutes and take double on the subway.

The city is mostly young people, if we were to date age appropriate GALS, often they will be in the suburbs. Imagine driving from Brooklyn to Jersey city compared to taking public transport?

In San Diego when I stayed there I felt like a prisoner at home without a car!

Map here explains how several major cities in the US can easily fit into LA county:

http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/6030-10-unusual-maps-of-los-angeles

Actually, that is a good map, but iF it was put together by media from LA, I think no ones winning a Pulitzer anytime soon. They put Manhattan as a city. Manhattan is a borough of NYC, basically NYC's downtown business district.

But it isn't the size but lack of transportation options that is most relevant. He is originally from NYC and NYC metro area is almost 3x as large as LA metro area and comprises parts of 4 states.
LA 4,850.3 sq mi vs NYC 13,318 sq mi= NYC metro WINS!

But it is even worst due to the fact that you basically have to go over multiple Bridges to get anywhere that cost tolls. One of the bad things about a city that 4 out of the 5 boroughs are on Islands.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 1522
Posted: 8/26/2015 11:05:15 AM
Wonder when they'll add the question do you rent or own or
live with mom?
And do you wear crocs...that should be on the list as well.
hahahahaha!
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1523
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2015 11:15:50 AM
^^^The living at home question will come sooner than expected with the way things are going.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 1524
Posted: 8/26/2015 11:30:09 AM

motowncowgirl :
Great photo of you in front of the Trump Tower, btw. very timely.

I was in Central Park last Sunday, and took the picture in front of the Trump Tower just for sh*ts and giggles

adventurejoe70 :
Well actually I agree with the forum armchair experts on that. Remember you came from Brooklyn which is IN the most walk able city in the country and has I think the only 24/7 mass transit system in the world(London is suppose to be adding service I think)

Philly is also similar in many respects. But even in Brooklyn having NO care makes dating harder. Sure if you live in the gentrified areas near the bridges it isn't so bad.

But what about Mill Basin, Marine park, Bergen Beach, and Southern Brooklyn(the safest residential) areas. I am from Southern Brooklyn, 50 feet from a subway stop, but at night it takes over 45 minutes to get to midtown. A car ride can get you there in 15-20 minutes. Go to the Bronx in a car will take 45 minutes and take double on the subway.

The city is mostly young people, if we were to date age appropriate GALS, often they will be in the suburbs. Imagine driving from Brooklyn to Jersey city compared to taking public transport?

In San Diego when I stayed there I felt like a prisoner at home without a car!

When it comes to dating, having no car is a non-issue, at least in my experience. Since I was a teenager my life has evolved around motorcycles, so I’ve always had wheels. Besides, it all depends in where you live. I know that in some areas, it's not possible to get by without a car, as everything is miles away.

I’ve been in many relationships, including twice married without a car. I can count in one hand the number of cars I’ve owned. In fact, I was almost 40 years old when bought my first car because I moved to rural Pennsylvania, and having a car was a job requirement.

Not owning a car has not deterred me from dating, as my current relationship can attest.
 22susie22
Msg: 1525
Posted: 8/26/2015 7:42:27 PM

If this were really true, then everyone should search for a mate in Canada, since they have the "best people" in the world.

Not everyone can be lucky enough to live in Canada :)

I dunno about the car, but I wouldn't date someone who couldn't drive. It would be a nuisance to be the partner doing all the shopping and errands, and driving when we go places together.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Are 21st century, western women intimidating?