Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gallagher1976
Msg: 26
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
theres a job at nasa for you man,thats a great idea! i'd also make it that she has to reply to you,either yes or no,within a time limit or her account is deleted,that would cure all the non replies we get.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 27
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?
Posted: 6/7/2015 1:28:12 AM

I would make it so men could not send messages to the ladies.

That's silly.

Ladies would have to send the messages to men they were interested in .

Some already do. Some choose to wait until they're contacted.

Would solve the problems of women getting overwhelmed with messages from men they were not interested in.

I think this is more about the resentment of certain people who resent their choice for a date have dating privilege and choices.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2015 5:50:42 AM

I would make it so men could not send messages to the ladies. Ladies would have to send the messages to men they were interested in . Would solve the problems of women getting overwhelmed with messages from men they were not interested in.

There already is. It's called "Craigslist" That just happens to reside at the bottom of the dating site list.

Women, the attention starved sex that they are, don't and won't go there. Take a walk over there. You'll see upwards of a thousand posted listings for men seeking women every day. What everyone would find out, is how unpopular some men and women would be. The really attractive women would get played more. Good looking guys would be inundated with heavyset, plain looking women . All would find out where they exactly fit in life's dating scheme. Some truth would come out of it. We all would have a clear idea of our settling point. What we have to accept.

Just a casual guess, I'd say that a site where women would have to message men, would join craigslist at the bottom of the "don't go there list"
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/7/2015 6:35:37 AM
I would change the rules about hosting an event, and who gets automatically notified. I get standard e-mails about up-coming POF events, along with the standard claim "You have notified because you are within 10 km (6 miles) of the event". Yet, in most cases, the event is about 30 or 40 miles away or further. What's up with that?
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/7/2015 4:17:27 PM
1- I Would prohibit photos with children in the profile.!!
 Debisue64
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2015 6:10:22 PM
I would change the "meet me" feature. I would want those i do NOT want to meet to no longer see my profile at all.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2015 7:07:22 PM

1- I Would prohibit photos with children in the profile.!!

I second that. We're not dating kids.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/7/2015 8:52:18 PM

I second that. We're not dating kids.

I just saw an ad this evening for eharmony or match, have you seen this one, with the grandpa talking to his grandkids, under 10 years old.. They're asking him what it is, he tells them when they're 21 they can date here too and the kids like "I want to be 21 now!"
Not that the kid was dating or anything, I just felt a bit creeped out...any time kids are associated with dating sites and potentially creepy freak ville and lunatics.
 zubayer
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 6:39:53 PM
There is no denying that eHarmony is one of the web-application marvels it terms of it's design, speed and accessibility. No wonder that other companies try to replicate the design.
No other social media websites were as successful as Facebook not because what it offered but where it started (at a ivy league university). My point is, with any social media website you have to be able set that standard, be it paid or not.
 sealady111
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/8/2015 8:56:43 PM
What I would have if I owned POF?

Have many, many more available, articulate and independent men over 50 living near me.
Verify that photos are true and current.
Keep the +/- age limitation as a default. Enable an opt out. So if you are a 20 year old woman who wants to receive an email from a 60 year old man you have that as an option.
The same if you are a 20 year old man and want messages from 60 year old women that is also fine.
Enable more photo cropping, light altering etc options.
Opt in for a webcam or voice conversation without having to give out a phone number, skype or other address.

I would eliminate:
Married and attached people
Illiteracy
Rudeness
Negativity

No sensible photo no profile
No sensibly written profile no profile
No photos of children, dead fish or guns
As soon as a complaint is received and verified the profile is cancelled
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/9/2015 6:27:53 AM
Include a preemptive blocking mechanism.

A pipe dream, I know.
 south_city
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/9/2015 6:50:52 AM

No photos of children, dead fish or guns

Pictures of dead fish or guns are just showing someone's interests. Fishing or hunting. If that person is not compatible with you, then move on to another profile. I do agree with removing the automatic age restrictions for +/- 14 years though. Each person can put their own age restrictions if they choose to do so.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/9/2015 8:56:42 AM
1. The option of preemptively blocking people from messaging, even before they've had a chance to look at your profile. Have the option to also exclude those who you have dated or spoken to, and were not good matches. Why have the carousel pilfered with the same damn people all the time, take them out of circulation already!

2. Have a preference (in detail: race/ethnicity, height, religion) of who can see your profile and contact you.

3. Be able to exclude certain miles of radius from home location, not the way it is set up that you select the mile radius, which includes your own location.

4. When you hide your profile, it hides it from everything and everyone, not just from searches.

5. Have the option of a dual profile, one that shows on your dating profile, and one that shows up on your forum profile, much like facebook has a profile that shows for yourself and one that shows as "public view".

6. The option of adding widgets or handles for people's social media, for those looking for publicity/marketing, and whatever else they want followers for.

7. For the POF app, the ability to select which notification one wants to get and how many vibrations for each. The ability to deactivate "meet me" feature, the ability to deactivate the "favorites" feather, the ability to fine-tune matches and ultra matches according to our preferences.

8. The more choices, the more exclusionary criteria there could be, if they were to bring back "intimate encounters", then they can only view profiles of those also looking for the same. If they change their "intent" to something else, they cannot selected the prior one again.

9. Get rid of the age limit thingy in the forums, thus the dual profile option. Women and men selecting the age range they prefer should stop any unwanted communication, as logically (to me), a person who is very young wouldn't want someone very senior, and vice versa, so their age limits cancels contact between them anyway.

10. Be able to change the layout and background of the app, and chat windows to a different color or design.
 Debisue64
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2015 1:31:18 PM
They should HIRE you BelleA :))
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/9/2015 1:45:38 PM
Aside from better looks to the site itself:

- If you block someone, they don't come up in any thumbnails at the top. In fact, they're totally blocked -- not just in standard searches. Poor POF quality presently on that.

- Combining "Intent" & "Looking For" into one universal selection -- and also moving "Not Single / Not Looking" in Marital Status into one of those options. People can put conflicting selections in that stuff. A real mess.

- In that combined selection, selecting More than just 1 option, like OKC has. You can be open to something short-term, and you can be open to something longterm and romantic. It depends Who and What the situation is.

- Make the age-restriction range a requirement. By default, it'd go by the +/- 13 year difference (or whatever it is). BUT, you can manually change it to open things up more, or to constrict more.

- Restrictions by default are for visitor viewing, but not preventative to writing them, by default. Actual blocking/prevention would be an additional check-mark option in your settings, and only allowed if the system senses that you have frequent incoming messages. Mainly, well, girls. Age range though would be always blocking for girls off the bat.

- Adding more options to one's own restrictions like height and body type. Again, by default, it's just for visitor viewing if they don't check it off as true Restriction (and were able to due to demonstrated inbound messages coming their way).
 plainster
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/9/2015 1:48:11 PM
I would require a minimum of a 100 plus IQ, maybe even 110 to post here. It would clean up the pervasive lack of comprehension ability among so many in the forums. You know who you are :-)
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/9/2015 2:13:18 PM

They should HIRE you BelleA :))

If only I should be lucky, I'd then have a justification for how much time I spend on the site, lmao.

vvvvvvv

That's not fair to those who find someone and don't log in unless they become single again. A more comprehensive approach would be to deactivate such profiles from showing up on searches rather than deleting them. In fact I think inactivity for 2 months should suffice for deactivation until user logs in again.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/9/2015 2:29:58 PM
Profiles should need to be accessed on dating side or forums side within twelve (12) months to remain in database.
Those profiles that show zero activity at all after twelve months should be deleted. Activity could "restart" the clock.
There are likely thousands upon thousands of profiles of married and even deceased individuals...for sure!
 clooneystutor
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/9/2015 2:46:20 PM
Modify the app so when an individual that's a perfect match for me (based on my preferences) views my profile, an audible MP3 of my choosing alerts me.

'Steve, wife material has viewed your profile. Act fast!'
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/9/2015 3:04:14 PM

Activity could "restart" the clock.
There are likely thousands upon thousands of profiles of married and even deceased individuals...for sure!

Yeah, but, who's going to be searching for someone who hasn't been online in over a week anyway, ya know? I would think most users ignore writing someone who hasn't been online "in the last 30 days" anyway...

'Steve, wife material has viewed your profile. Act fast!'

Adding... "Everything must go! Including her anal virginity!" That'd make a nice ringtone going off at work.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/9/2015 3:28:31 PM
latino2815- For the forums:
Leave it as is as far as moderators, I like it better without them, there was too much favoritism going on when they were here.
Limit people to starting one thread a month, if you start a thread and don't come back and comment in the thread within a week, it goes away, there's too many people starting threads and then abandoning them, threads more than a year old get deleted unless they are active/on the first page.
Undo the ban on posting to someone 15 years younger, at first I thought that was a good idea, now I don't.
On the dating side:
All photos must contain a picture of the person, no pictures of children.
Pictures and a filled out profile are BOTH required to join.
No married or separated people can join, have a feature that allows reporting someone for lying about being married or separated, anyone that breaks this rule gets a permanent ban.
Once a distance preference is set, no one outside of it can contact you. I've had men across the country send me messages, what's the point?
No reply's to messages or no messages sent gets a profile deleted after 6 months of no activity.
Eliminate the meet me and who viewed me options.
Find some way to keep people from making multiple profiles, it's too easy to get past a block and it's messing up the forums.
Someone came up with the idea to upgrade a member if they send and reply to enough messages, I like this idea.
Match up people according to intent, people not looking for any kind of commitment could not receive or send messages to people looking for a commitment (for example).
When people receive a message, they have to pick a reason why they choose not to respond, they could have a list of reasons to pick from, examples: this person does not accept messages from smokers, must be over 6 feet tall to message this member, this member does not except messages from people with children under 5 years old, that sort of thing, they MUST choose an option to let the person know why they didn't respond.
Some people might disagree with me on this one, but one of the most common complaints on the forums is sending messages and getting no reply, so this would be helpful.
You might not like the reason, but at least you know.
Eliminate the flirt option.
Have some way to store peoples choices when they fill out their profile and not only match people according to intent, but when you click on a profile, you get a message telling you your compatibility rating, (this person is 20% compatible with you, this person is 90% compatible with you, whatever), I think this would be an AWESOME feature.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/9/2015 7:55:36 PM

Pictures and a filled out profile are BOTH required to join.

No.

no pictures of children.

Yes.

Eliminate the flirt option.

No.

Find some way to keep people from making multiple profiles,

Yes.

When people receive a message, they have to pick a reason why they choose not to respond,

Yes.

No married or separated people can join,

Yes.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2015 8:39:15 PM

Have many, many more available, articulate and independent men over 50 living near me.

That would be a cute trick. Have you been reading up on cloning?

No sensibly written profile no profile

??? Umm, are we supposed to lie like a rug about ourselves????

The "no profile" I understand.

No photos of guns

You mean to say that there are some doofus's that actually pose with their guns?????
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/9/2015 10:26:14 PM

When people receive a message, they have to pick a reason why they choose not to respond,

How about something different.... Prevent flooding (most) girls' inboxes with 1st messages (and repeated "1st" messages), by requiring a dual-party Yay selected off an embedded "Yay / Nay" marker to each profile? Much like making Meet Me if requiring a dual Yes in order for one to write another, but ridding Meet Me and making that embedded as part of the whole thing.

Saves guys time writing a message to someone who, statistically, is likely not to write back. Saves a gal time having to sift through inbox messages when writing back-n-forth to guys.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/9/2015 10:36:54 PM

Posted by PurpleRider1200:
"You mean to say that there are some doofus's that actually pose with their guns?????"

That is their POF dating profile picture choice and it is a perfectly mainstream hobby for many people.
There are countless women weary of looking at motorcycle pictures...yet it is a crucial aspect of WHO you are.
Live and let live...as long as the pic contains the person...who cares what hobby they opt to showcase?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?