Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 51
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

When people receive a message, they have to pick a reason why they choose not to respond,

No. A no is sufficient enough. I shouldn't have to give a reason, unless I decide it's appropriate.
 south_city
Msg: 52
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?
Posted: 6/10/2015 10:00:30 AM

2. Have a preference (in detail: race/ethnicity, height, religion) of who can see your profile and contact you.

Match has a regular email box and filtered email box. The emails from people that don't match your requirements would go in the filtered email box. I don't use it because I never got dozens of emails per day. Plus sometimes I have went out on dates / meetings with women that were somewhat different than my usual type.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/10/2015 4:01:00 PM
norwegianguy123- But then you would still have to surf through countless profiles and click "yay/nay".
It seems easier just pick a reason when you receive a message.
So far, it's about 50/50 (having to pick a reason for no return message), whether people like it or not.
I may rethink it, it seemed like a good idea, to unclutter the forums a bit and peoples in boxes, some people get chapped about not knowing why, others just genuinely want to know.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/10/2015 7:08:45 PM

norwegianguy123- But then you would still have to surf through countless profiles and click "yay/nay".

Was norwegian guy removed? Somebody have an itchy finger on the report abuse button.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/10/2015 11:46:36 PM

So far, it's about 50/50 (having to pick a reason for no return message), whether people like it or not.
I may rethink it, it seemed like a good idea, to unclutter the forums a bit and peoples in boxes, some people get chapped about not knowing why, others just genuinely want to know.

I don't care what they do in the forums. A no (as in an answer in my mind) is sufficient. Nobody is entitled to have any response from me as to why I'm not interested, especially after I've had no prior conversation or meeting with that person -- and even if I did, it's entirely my choice to make.

If somebody doesn't want to tick any box because they don't want to make any response, then what?

I resent this. It removes the power of certain people to make choices about whomsoever they choose to include in their personal, interactional life.

Bad, BAD idea --- if implemented comes with terrible consequences.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/10/2015 11:49:56 PM

Was norwegian guy removed? Somebody have an itchy finger on the report abuse button.

It's more likely that's it's more than one complaint by many people, on this side or the dating side (or both).

Itchy finger? Maybe there's a good reason for the reports and his nuking (that's if he was nuked)?
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/11/2015 2:21:09 AM

When people receive a message, they have to pick a reason why they choose not to respond,

Rockin-trucker would have multiple orgasms over this.
 2ufo
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/11/2015 6:19:48 AM

I don't really care either way and probably neither do many other people. Maybe set it up for a changeable default or personal option.
Perhaps choices like:

a) doesn't fit my stated profile requirements
b) your profile creeps me out (ok, I'm sure someone can prettify that up a bit)
c) no, really, I am ONLY here for the forums and you didn't comment on that
d) incompatibility of intents
e) call me shallow but I didn't like your pics
f) you had no pics
g) other _______
h) No reason stated (automatic default)
i) currently dating
j) PERSONALLY WRITTEN OPTION
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/11/2015 7:53:00 AM
I don't even want to click a "no reason stated" -- because it's giving them a response I don't want to give.

I'd much prefer to have option where I can opt out of giving them a response, at all, like I have now: no response/answer -- no interest (just delete).

CharminC
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/11/2015 8:47:28 AM

Rockin-trucker would have multiple orgasms over this.

Heaven would open up and angels would sing. RT done gone religious if it should ever happen.

c) no, really, I am ONLY here for the forums and you didn't comment on that

*giggles like a schoolgirl*

Only things I'd change is the layout. It needs a revamp
and to be able to control seeing or not seeing who is online above my inbox. Guys who have messaged me and I deleted (ya see that RT?!!! I DELETED THEM!!!) still show up weeks later.
How annoying *rolls eyes :)
 2ufo
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/11/2015 9:15:33 AM

^^^agreed.....who ever took rejection explanations well anyway?

I think it's so they can attempt to argue you out of preferences although some people say they really want to know.
Maybe, if it was bad breath or something changeable, but usually it isn't.
 south_city
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/11/2015 9:47:02 AM

I don't really care either way and probably neither do many other people. Maybe set it up for a changeable default or personal option.

Same here. A simple "No Thanks" button would be okay. Even if someone did give you a reason, it might be a white lie instead of the actual reason why.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/11/2015 11:27:29 AM

and to be able to control seeing or not seeing who is online above my inbox.

You can.
 CharminC
Msg: 64
Posted: 6/11/2015 12:34:55 PM
You can.

^^
I'm listening

(pun intended :P)
 J3LV3HL_WV3JP
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/15/2015 12:07:03 PM
"When people receive a message, they have to pick a reason why they choose not to respond"

What if they choose not to respond to the reason they chose not to respond. :oD
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2015 12:21:51 PM
There used to be a forum link. When there was a link the forums where busy. There was a lot of new topics daily when there was a link now you see the same topics for days.
 antirepublican
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/16/2015 10:19:11 AM
The biggest change that I would have made has been done for me. I went away for a few weeks and found a whole new atmosphere in the forums. Things were really caustic, nasty and vile. When I got back, everything seemed different. Oh, there is the occasional snark and pot shot but nothing like it was. I have even decided to mend my own ways to get into the spirit. I am still in enemy territory because my view point is so different but I can try to be less aggressive. Thanks to all concerned. I don't know what brought this change for the better but it sure is an improvement.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2015 12:27:04 PM

You still have to surf thru countless profiles to write them in the first place, right? Instead of writing them and conjuring something up, you click Yay. Ya don't want to waste your time writing something up if she has no interest, and she doesn't want to have messages in her inbox with dudes' messages who she's not into. Win win. Guy and gal get notified if there's mutual interest -- THEN he (or she) can write them.

Not a good concept on a dating site with few members. But for large-member places like POF, it's a good idea.

In the very least it could be an Option that a gal could set. She doesn't want her inbox flooded (nor obnoxious ones so readily), so the guy looks to possibly write her, sees that "bouncer" is in the way, he clicks Yes, and moves on. Saves him time.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/16/2015 12:59:48 PM
Oh, there was a feature or option which existed for a limited amount of time.

The feature/option said "visible to members only", It removed you from search engines.

I'd like to see that feature return. I'd be more comfortable to know that only those who are also members can see my profile, because they are also participating in the debauchery.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/16/2015 4:03:43 PM

Same here. A simple "No Thanks" button would be okay.

That isn't necessary. A no response is a response.
 Maleman999
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/16/2015 4:32:40 PM

A simple "No Thanks" button would be okay.

If that was an option, a lot of people would then demand a "Why not? I want an explanation of why you aren't interested" button, along with the "Go fvck yourself then. You're fat and ugly anyways" button.
 Sportsdude76
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/16/2015 7:27:11 PM
It should have a no thanks button then the person would be automatically blocked. from contacting anyone that says no thanks
 NJgirl116
Msg: 73
Posted: 6/16/2015 9:41:44 PM

"Go fvck yourself then. You're fat and ugly anyways" button.

And that's a perfectly understandable reaction to a "no thanks" message and exactly what I would want to respond. Silence suffices, people who can't handle it shouldn't be on a dating site.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/17/2015 2:25:35 AM
That's not a bad idea, Sportsdude76. It'd be nice if the blocking mechanism at that point would entirely block the recipient of ever looking at the profile of the blocker, again, too...

But, then again, I'm stubborn -- I don't want to give them even that, even when the "no response" indicates no interest. It's like walking by and some random stranger saying hello and I don't choose to respond; my intent that my response isn't obligated is clear and my walking away symbolizes just that. Maybe I don't feel comfortable or desire to return the hello -- I'm not obligated there and I and other people shouldn't be obligated here, either.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2015 5:38:03 AM

It should have a no thanks button then the person would be automatically blocked. from contacting anyone that says no thanks

But why not have the Meet-Me/HorNot/Tinder requirement of mutual Yes to even write them? After all, one puts up photos and 'public' writings on their profile for anyone to read in a search. Therefore, what's the need in writing someone if they're not going to be interested after seeing your profile? Why not let mutual Yeses just open the door to write? Or at least have that set as an individual user's option if they don't like getting too much mail?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?