Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rcp83
Msg: 101
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I also agree with banning photos with children in them. Why can't the photos just be either headshots or just yourself? I see so many profiles with photos and other people's faces have been covered up.
 cooldog65
Msg: 102
view profile
History
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?
Posted: 8/2/2015 10:11:09 AM
^^^^^ You do realize that your main profile pic is a headless hockey jersey?
 6146Catch
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/6/2015 7:34:55 PM
I'd require newbies to show up in person at the local PoF business suite to prove they're real. Only then would they be allowed to put up a profile, send messages, etc etc.

OTOH my 4+ years of experiences with meetup groups has taught me that the weirdos and the fakers will always find ways to elbow their way in if they're determined enough.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/6/2015 7:38:03 PM

I'd require newbies to show up in person at the local PoF business suite to prove they're real.

I volunteer to be the Southwestern PoF credibility inspector.

Ladies, wear your best birthday suit and swing by for Clooney's stamp of approval!

Wine, Cheetos and scented candles included!
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 105
Posted: 8/6/2015 7:43:49 PM
I would get rid of the posting limit in threads. I've had to wait for as much as a god damn month for enough people to respond, so I could reply again.

I would also get rid of the stupid 21 post limit in Ask a Guy and Ask a Girl sections. That's probably the main reason I usually stay away from them.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:24:20 AM
I'd try something different. The site will still be free, you can message anyone you want (meaning I'd get rid of the age restrictions). But seeing someone's pictures, you have to pay for that.

We're shallow here, it's all about looks. Take that away and people will pay. And then you have the people who don't pay, who end up being forced to just actually talk and get to know each other, I'm pretty sure that would cause enough real life success stories that it would keep people coming here, and paying so that they can see everyone's pictures before talking to them.

I was thinking about doing that a few years ago when online dating was starting to really pick up, but now there's just too many sites and apps, starting a new one won't have the same payout anymore.
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 107
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:31:01 AM

We're shallow here

Speak. For. Yourself.

Jesus f*ck.
 UZEASY
Msg: 108
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:33:42 AM
I remember seeing an omnidate site launched i believe in year 2007 or so. It was the nicest idea. It has virtual feature at the background that you can set based on your feelings and can chat to someone. A virtual date. I found that it would be more like giving you a feeling before going on for date.

But some dating company bought it out and crash the entire concept. I wish I could bring that Idea with some more improvement.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:40:07 AM

Speak. For. Yourself.

Jesus f*ck.

Then what would you call the decision to not date someone being based on looks, deep?

Do you understand what shallow means? It's the opposite of deep. It's a decision based on what we see on the surface. It's why we don't talk to people because of their profile pictures, or their lack of a short story for a profile, or their first message not being long enough.

It's just the english language. Learn it.
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/9/2015 8:58:00 AM
We've been through this dozens of times before. Are you really that f*cking bored that you have to bring it all up again?

But one more time just for you. Perhaps this time it will actually sink in.

- People have every right to choose someone they are physically attracted to. It does NOT make them shallow.
I don't owe it to anybody to be interested in them if I'm not physically attracted to them, and I won't have some dumb a$$ trying to make me feel guilty over it. If you're content being with someone who you're not physically attracted to, GOOD FOR YOU. Don't expect the rest of the world to follow. I can guarantee you WILL be cheating on your ugly girlfriend/wife in your mind.

- If looks were the ONLY thing one cared about, then yes, that could be deemed shallow.

- Furthermore, you said "we" are shallow". You're actually including yourself?

- Stick to speaking for yourself. You look like a damn fool every time you pull this "we" shit. You don't know what everyone wants, so stifle it.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 111
Posted: 8/9/2015 9:06:22 AM

Then what would you call the decision to not date someone being based on looks, deep?

I'm thinking personal preference.

Are you so desperate that you would date someone you don't find attractive?

You would date someone only because they querried your intellectual personna? No physical attraction? Pfftt.....you're just substituting your want's by criticizing others preferences.

Find a group that discusses news, politics or current events to find someone to appreciate you for your inner beauty....you don't need to be on a dating site.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/9/2015 9:07:12 AM

People have every right to choose someone they are physically attracted to. It does NOT make them shallow.
I don't owe it to anybody to be interested in them if I'm not physically attracted to them, and I won't have some dumb a$$ trying to make me feel guilty over it. If you're content being with someone who you're not physically attracted to, GOOD FOR YOU. Don't expect the rest of the world to follow. I can guarantee you WILL be cheating on your ugly girlfriend/wife in your mind.

Nobody is trying to make anyone feel guilty. YOU are the one making shallow as negative as you are.

If you're not physically attracted to them and not dating them, you're not dating them because of not being physically attracted to them. It' not over something deeper like their personality, their life goals, and stuff like that.

Shallow is just the f'n opposite of the word "deep". There's no deeper reason that they're not dating them, you're just not physically attracted to them. The correct word for that example is "shallow". Are you really that lost with why we call it shallow when you base it on looks? It's not a bad thing, it's just the word that has a definition of "of little depth".

Again, it's the english language. Learn it.
 ThePigIsHereForEternity
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/9/2015 9:44:07 AM

Nobody is trying to make anyone feel guilty.

Oh, stop with the bullshit already. Anyone who has seen your posts knows what this is all about, and what it's inevitably going to lead to. You're a one trick pony. You whine about the same shit, disappear for a while, and try to bring it all up again as if it's new.

Physical attraction is a BIG part of a relationship. Why you try to make it seem insignificant is beyond me. It matters just as much anything else. Therefore, making a decision NOT to date someone for the lack of it certainly isn't shallow. You absolutely NEED to have lustful feelings for the person you're going to be romantically involved with. But by all means, don't take my word for it. Go find yourself the most hideous woman you can possibly dig up to try to prove me wrong.

Oh, and again, you said "we are shallow". You're including yourself in this??? Try answering my question this time, ok?
 Peas_
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/9/2015 9:59:52 AM

Are you really that lost with why we call it shallow when you base it on looks?

Just pics? You basing this on paying for just pics?

Naw, I'm shallow because in the profession section I would never consider dating:

truck drivers
salesmen
lawyers
"just ask"

hmph, don't need pics for that.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 10:17:31 AM

We're shallow here, it's all about looks. Take that away and people will pay.

People will leave. That'd be a ridiculous business decision. Also -- just because one's view on looks can be shallow, does NOT at ALL mean that looks itself is shallow. So take away their pics, height, body type, and ethnicity. What do you think people are going to do? "Hey, email me your pics". Not going to work.

Physical attraction isn't shallow. When you're online you need some sort of face-with-the-name at LEAST at some point very early for the sane. Looks is the basis of attraction. You can't have real attraction without looks. Without looks, and the idiot who carries on with the person without it, is going to have an imaginary filler in his/her mind of what they look like.

An analogy to saying to get rid of looks (all of pics, height, body type, ethnicity) when engaging pre-dating, is like saying to start a relationship without ever meeting. Sure, that helps out the 5'2" 180lb person with a huge acne problem and missing teeth -- but a silly idea that would not work and shouldn't work. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater!
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/1/2017 8:47:03 PM
I'd add a Snapchat like feature to it. I do like the voice message option but I'd love to be able to see a video of who I'm talking to. I hate people asking me if I have a Facebook or Instagram because I don't add people from this site to my social media accounts.
 cooldog65
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 10:12:19 PM
^^^^^ Since nobody can write to you, what would be the point of adding that feature? Am I the only person who thinks social media is pointless? I just don't get the fascination with it.

Maybe I'm becoming more like my late father or I'm just odd. I should change my name to curmudgeondog65...
 ohenryx
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 10:14:08 PM

I'd love to be able to see a video of who I'm talking to

One woman I was looking at, on her profile she linked to a youtube video that she had posted. The subject was how to clean a salt water aquarium, about which I have no interest. But I could see her, and hear her, and get a good idea of what she is really like.

I need to come up with a video that I can post to youtube. Now what is it that I know very well, and would make at least a semi-interesting youtube video? This requires some thought.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 11:06:05 PM
It's not 2002 any more. POF needs a severe face-life and feature revision.
Any new member that can't write a 100-word essay can't join.
Photos required for every profile - face & full figure
Video upload optional = 30 seconds only - just enough to see you're alive
Inactive accounts DELETED after only 30 days. You are IN or you are OUT, no fence-sitters
10 question checklist of wants/needs send with each email - this is to emphasize why people are contacting each other
Ability to report whining posts about not getting messages --> will result in the whiners being DELETED - If you're not making an effort or trying to learn - GTFO
Live Discussions on Dating/Relationship topics and Techniques to Communicate with other members
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/2/2017 12:52:34 AM

^^^^^ Since nobody can write to you, what would be the point of adding that feature? Am I the only person who thinks social media is pointless? I just don't get the fascination with it.

You think social media is pointless but this site is social media wrapped in dating....... Makes sense.

For now, I'm only on here for the forums. Hence why my profile states NOT INTERESTED. If I had it to where I could receive messages, I'd get the same BS messages over and over and quite frankly, I'm not interested in reading that mess. Don't want to read "hey beautiful" 30 times a day or get called sexy by nasty looking men with money, alcohol and middle finger pics.
 cooldog65
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2017 1:27:41 AM
^^^^^ Thank you for your explanation. It's unfortunate those types of guys write to you. You do present yourself very nicely and you're well spoken.

I guess I didn't see this forum as a form of social media. Good point.
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/2/2017 1:33:54 AM
Not a problem, Cooldog.

I don't know how it is for men, I assume kind of the same but women get a ton of messages and they're all carbon copies of each other. And then when we reply back, they don't have much of anything to say except 'how are you', 'wyd', 'how was your day', 'so tell me about yourself' (never mind you have a profile that already say something about you). It's just useless dealing with a lot of men on this site. So I come to the forums because you'll at least get some feedback rather than something like 'oh cool' or 'hey wanna meet up'....after 2 messages.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2017 3:54:59 PM
A good many of us men find OLD (on line dating) next to worthless.

We could message to we're blue in the face, and get zero replies. The carbon copy responses you're getting, is sorta based on not getting any answers to begin with. Most of us don't know what to say after a first message. We weren't expecting one to begin with. An answered message throws us into a tizzy.

More should get involved with the forums. It's an easy way to gather more info on a prospective date.

Say, you're on the fence about a person. His first message is rather questionable. If he's in the forums tossing opinions on certain subjects, You then can gather intel on him. Perhaps he wasn't too clear on him in his first message. Forum talk could give clues to his personality. Is he more interesting in the forums? Just suppose he writes terrible messages. I'd count that as not knowing how to approach you.

I believe, that was POF's original intent. But after a time, for one reason or another, it never did what it was intended to. The forums became a place to squabble over foolish views. Ask questions, and get criticized over asking dumb stuff. Vent issues that bother us.

Online dating isn't what it's cracked up to be.
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/2/2017 6:51:42 PM

A good many of us men find OLD (on line dating) next to worthless.

We could message to we're blue in the face, and get zero replies. The carbon copy responses you're getting, is sorta based on not getting any answers to begin with. Most of us don't know what to say after a first message. We weren't expecting one to begin with. An answered message throws us into a tizzy.

Lol! I'm sorry but that tickled me a bit. I do know that women get bombarded with messages and it's the opposite for me. I think the reason for that is exactly what you stated: most don't know what to say after the first message and many aren't engaging but they want to exchange phone numbers. I'm not giving out my number to someone who doesn't know how to have a 2 way conversation.

More should get involved with the forums. It's an easy way to gather more info on a prospective date.

That would be so awesome. Definitely would be easy to pick and weed out who you aren't interested in

Say, you're on the fence about a person. His first message is rather questionable. If he's in the forums tossing opinions on certain subjects, You then can gather intel on him. Perhaps he wasn't too clear on him in his first message. Forum talk could give clues to his personality. Is he more interesting in the forums? Just suppose he writes terrible messages. I'd count that as not knowing how to approach you.

I believe, that was POF's original intent. But after a time, for one reason or another, it never did what it was intended to. The forums became a place to squabble over foolish views. Ask questions, and get criticized over asking dumb stuff. Vent issues that bother us.

Online dating isn't what it's cracked up to be.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2017 10:58:14 PM
Sorry...what is online dating "cracked up to be" ???? I did dating through personal ads and phone messages before online ads were available. I found NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL between the types of people I'd meet and the propensity to LIE, OMIT facts, or just be bad company. Despite the remarkable improvement in digital and cell phone cameras in the last 15 years, the quality of photos has barely budged at all.

So...what is online dating "cracked up to be" ????
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?