Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ohenryx
Msg: 118
view profile
History
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I'd love to be able to see a video of who I'm talking to

One woman I was looking at, on her profile she linked to a youtube video that she had posted. The subject was how to clean a salt water aquarium, about which I have no interest. But I could see her, and hear her, and get a good idea of what she is really like.

I need to come up with a video that I can post to youtube. Now what is it that I know very well, and would make at least a semi-interesting youtube video? This requires some thought.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 119
view profile
History
If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?
Posted: 1/1/2017 11:06:05 PM
It's not 2002 any more. POF needs a severe face-life and feature revision.
Any new member that can't write a 100-word essay can't join.
Photos required for every profile - face & full figure
Video upload optional = 30 seconds only - just enough to see you're alive
Inactive accounts DELETED after only 30 days. You are IN or you are OUT, no fence-sitters
10 question checklist of wants/needs send with each email - this is to emphasize why people are contacting each other
Ability to report whining posts about not getting messages --> will result in the whiners being DELETED - If you're not making an effort or trying to learn - GTFO
Live Discussions on Dating/Relationship topics and Techniques to Communicate with other members
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/2/2017 12:52:34 AM

^^^^^ Since nobody can write to you, what would be the point of adding that feature? Am I the only person who thinks social media is pointless? I just don't get the fascination with it.

You think social media is pointless but this site is social media wrapped in dating....... Makes sense.

For now, I'm only on here for the forums. Hence why my profile states NOT INTERESTED. If I had it to where I could receive messages, I'd get the same BS messages over and over and quite frankly, I'm not interested in reading that mess. Don't want to read "hey beautiful" 30 times a day or get called sexy by nasty looking men with money, alcohol and middle finger pics.
 cooldog65
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2017 1:27:41 AM
^^^^^ Thank you for your explanation. It's unfortunate those types of guys write to you. You do present yourself very nicely and you're well spoken.

I guess I didn't see this forum as a form of social media. Good point.
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/2/2017 1:33:54 AM
Not a problem, Cooldog.

I don't know how it is for men, I assume kind of the same but women get a ton of messages and they're all carbon copies of each other. And then when we reply back, they don't have much of anything to say except 'how are you', 'wyd', 'how was your day', 'so tell me about yourself' (never mind you have a profile that already say something about you). It's just useless dealing with a lot of men on this site. So I come to the forums because you'll at least get some feedback rather than something like 'oh cool' or 'hey wanna meet up'....after 2 messages.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2017 3:54:59 PM
A good many of us men find OLD (on line dating) next to worthless.

We could message to we're blue in the face, and get zero replies. The carbon copy responses you're getting, is sorta based on not getting any answers to begin with. Most of us don't know what to say after a first message. We weren't expecting one to begin with. An answered message throws us into a tizzy.

More should get involved with the forums. It's an easy way to gather more info on a prospective date.

Say, you're on the fence about a person. His first message is rather questionable. If he's in the forums tossing opinions on certain subjects, You then can gather intel on him. Perhaps he wasn't too clear on him in his first message. Forum talk could give clues to his personality. Is he more interesting in the forums? Just suppose he writes terrible messages. I'd count that as not knowing how to approach you.

I believe, that was POF's original intent. But after a time, for one reason or another, it never did what it was intended to. The forums became a place to squabble over foolish views. Ask questions, and get criticized over asking dumb stuff. Vent issues that bother us.

Online dating isn't what it's cracked up to be.
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/2/2017 6:51:42 PM

A good many of us men find OLD (on line dating) next to worthless.

We could message to we're blue in the face, and get zero replies. The carbon copy responses you're getting, is sorta based on not getting any answers to begin with. Most of us don't know what to say after a first message. We weren't expecting one to begin with. An answered message throws us into a tizzy.

Lol! I'm sorry but that tickled me a bit. I do know that women get bombarded with messages and it's the opposite for me. I think the reason for that is exactly what you stated: most don't know what to say after the first message and many aren't engaging but they want to exchange phone numbers. I'm not giving out my number to someone who doesn't know how to have a 2 way conversation.

More should get involved with the forums. It's an easy way to gather more info on a prospective date.

That would be so awesome. Definitely would be easy to pick and weed out who you aren't interested in

Say, you're on the fence about a person. His first message is rather questionable. If he's in the forums tossing opinions on certain subjects, You then can gather intel on him. Perhaps he wasn't too clear on him in his first message. Forum talk could give clues to his personality. Is he more interesting in the forums? Just suppose he writes terrible messages. I'd count that as not knowing how to approach you.

I believe, that was POF's original intent. But after a time, for one reason or another, it never did what it was intended to. The forums became a place to squabble over foolish views. Ask questions, and get criticized over asking dumb stuff. Vent issues that bother us.

Online dating isn't what it's cracked up to be.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2017 10:58:14 PM
Sorry...what is online dating "cracked up to be" ???? I did dating through personal ads and phone messages before online ads were available. I found NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL between the types of people I'd meet and the propensity to LIE, OMIT facts, or just be bad company. Despite the remarkable improvement in digital and cell phone cameras in the last 15 years, the quality of photos has barely budged at all.

So...what is online dating "cracked up to be" ????
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 126
Posted: 1/3/2017 12:28:50 PM

Am I the only person who thinks social media is pointless?

No.
I'm in that camp.
That's why I refer to it as ANTI-social media.

I just don't get the fascination with it.

I suspect that a lot of the same people who are fascinated by it, are a lot of the same people who made the useless Kardashians rich and famous.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 127
Posted: 1/5/2017 8:15:06 AM
I would guess that Forumites mean well... BUT.

A Mod could stay quite busy on this site doing nothing more than "correcting/removing" all the erroneous "input" from members concerning both weight gain/removal and how site features work.

How people could be here for years and STILL not understand how the most basic site features work/what they do? No wonder they only seem to snag bottom feeders if anything.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If you personally owned POF what would you change about it?