Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Interests of women over 50y/o      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 plainster
Msg: 26
Interests of women over 50y/oPage 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
^^^^ very common sense and probably accurate picture of what is going on in the real world.
 MissScawlett
Msg: 27
Interests of women over 50y/o
Posted: 6/8/2015 1:52:36 PM
ohenryx -- You nailed it -- "Women tend to go on dates for completely different reasons than men. The women want to have a “boy friend”, or a “SO”. They enjoy having a male companion....

Men, on the other hand, date because they want sex. End of sentence, end of statement, end of story. And when they get older, many men have a greatly reduced sex drive, so a greatly reduced need for dating women. Just that simple."
 123nightmoves
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/8/2015 2:00:14 PM
I think Ohenry is bang on in his observations.

As to why are so many older men on dating sites, I think there are far more women than men online dating. There seems to be far more women than men on these forums., if that is an indicator. I think women are far more comfortable with a computer, talking about themselves via a computer, more computer saavy,mets. than men are. A buddy's wife told me about online dating and I'm still not sure about contacting anyone. I am quite comfortable going into a bar alone and starting a conversation but there are far more men in a bar then women, especially at this age.

I don't think anyone has a "fully stocked pantry" but I do think that men this age may have a lot of options. I don't know about Safeway but I do know one thing, Walmart shopping is not going to happen in my world. I have options.
 plainster
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/8/2015 2:07:21 PM
Nightmoves.

This depends on the boards. On the Yahoo boards, especially the Yahoo investment boards, women are few and far between. I doubt women have any more expertise with computers, other than the administrative staffs, oftentimes women, are used to using them on a daily basis. Still hard to see how any guy can get by in today's world without have a fundamental understanding of computer operation. Computers do for the most part run themselves these days. Always nice to know about malware protection, virus protection, etc., and there are utilities for that.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 2:08:07 PM
It's so nice to know that the women on here know EXACTLY what men want.

Do keep in mind that as you gals keep pushing us in a big pile, do keep an eye out for the tall slim guy who keeps slipping out of the pile, and running for the door. He's slippery, fast, and have moves that you women don't know about.
 123nightmoves
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/8/2015 2:27:51 PM
"Malware protection, virus protection ". I'm kind of new to dating and I'm more concerned about virus protection in a different context and protecting my assets as well as my ass.

I still think there are more women online than men. And I read a piece on a different page by Ohenry again saying he thought women that truly liked men and truly liked sex and being sexual seemed to find a good mate quicker. Those, both men and women, who are truly at ease with themselves found partners. He had a good point. He also used a phrase I hadn't heard before "born again virgins" which made me laugh as there are a few out there, I just didn't know there was a name for them.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/8/2015 2:47:14 PM
guywithabrain- It's not specific to where you live, you see this in profiles no matter where the person is from.
There can only be two reasons:
1) It's so common that people say they do these things, some will say they do to attract a mate and they really don't do them (dumb-a good way to get busted lying).
2)They actually do these things and enjoy them.
Going by the tone in some of your reply's, you may not like this, but I'm going to say it anyway.........
Who determines what is cultural verses redneck? (as you put it)
Who determines what is a "male" interest verses a "female" interest?
I don't care for such labels and some bias is showing through on your part.
People can, and do, have varied interests.
I read almost every day, I love music and art, I love to learn and I also enjoy fishing and kayaking.
Camping, it depends. Overnight, maybe two nights, I can do it, longer than that and I'm ready for the comforts of home.
I'm scared of motorcycles and guns so I'm not getting on a motorcycle or going hunting.
To each their own.
If someone IS into motorcycles and/or hunting, as long as they are ok with me NOT being into it, we are ok, if they want someone to do those things with them, then I just go on to the next profile and hope for a better match.
Easy enough, yes?
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/8/2015 3:22:15 PM

It's so nice to know that the women on here know EXACTLY what men want

I agree with this.....anymore than I believe in the absolute of this statement below......about what women want or will do....

"Women tend to go on dates for completely different reasons than men. The women want to have a “boy friend”, or a “SO”. They enjoy having a male companion....
Men, on the other hand, date because they want sex. End of sentence, end of statement, end of story. And when they get older, many men have a greatly reduced sex drive, so a greatly reduced need for dating women. Just that simple

It's not this simple.....quit putting everyone in the same box.
 sealady111
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/8/2015 3:41:48 PM
Hi there.
I am a single woman over 50 and have multiple friends you are women over 50.

We are all individual, just like everyone else........

To me being outside is healthy and fun.
Going to recitals, the symphony, opera, poetry reading, galleries and the theatre is also very enjoyable.
But I am not sufficiently wealthy to pay for theatre tickets every other day.
The next big show to open in Sydney has tickets at $150 each.

So 2 tickets $300 + a nice dinner $100 + supper $60 + a few of glasses of bubbly $50

$500 for a night out for most of us is a treat.

Now if you were willing to move to Sydney and pay for me to accompany you to all these things that would be great.

p.s. I also agree that many people on here, men and women, write interests that they think will attract.
I have found many, many who say they enjoy something that they did once 20 years ago.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/8/2015 4:06:45 PM

I've noticed a marked increase in the number of women (in Pittsburgh) who list motorcycles, camping, fishing, kayaking, hunting,

I'm going to be 50 soon, I hate all that crap, except fishing. Fishing is very chill.

I also hate boxing and NASCAR.

Pittsburgh is literally overwhelmed with cultural activities,

Oooohhhhh. Pittsburgh sounds nice :)
 Kay9876
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 5:19:26 PM

Msg. 20: … In my book, I don't really care how many interests a woman shows in her profile, as long as she lists at least a couple that involve sweating. I have a theory that the couple who sweats together, stays together. Now, I just need to find the proper lady to test the theory.

You’re welcome to join me for a sweat-fest at a dance-a-thon or on the treadmill. That’s what you had in mind, right?
:)

Msg. 1: In the last five years or so, I've noticed a marked increase in the number of women (in Pittsburgh) who list motorcycles, camping, fishing, kayaking, hunting, etc, and other more physically traditional 'male' activities as being their primary interests. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to attend quilting bees, but since Pittsburgh is literally overwhelmed with cultural activities, I'm posting this to hopefully get some feedback as to "why" these have become so popular in a more mature age group. Is this something unique to this city, or is it everywhere?

As others have noted, some women are genuinely interested in outdoor activities. Others gamble with “fake bait.” In addition, the shift in interests you’re seeing in profiles of women over 50 might lie in one or more of the following.

#1. People who prefer “cultural activities” (your words … I’d switch it up to say indoor activities in a climate-controlled environment) more easily find activity partners of both sexes. Women don’t need to date for this so their profiles lean toward “man-friendly” endeavors.

#2. Aside from the cost of the initial equipment, the interests you listed are relatively inexpensive. People nearing or past retirement age often have less spending money due to punctuated saving for retirement or decreased income after retirement. As noted in an earlier post, cultural events sometimes carry a heavy price tag. For that matter, dinner at a very nice restaurant can bend a budget.

#3. Even when a woman’s financial situation is relatively reliable, she might list less expensive interests on her profile to leave the door open for men who are financially stable but have less disposable income. For many women, a good heart trumps a fat wallet.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/8/2015 5:36:47 PM

Men, on the other hand, date because they want sex. End of sentence, end of statement, end of story. And when they get older, many men have a greatly reduced sex drive, so a greatly reduced need for dating women. Just that simple."

Kind of an unusual post for you MissScawlett.

I obviously can't speak for all older men, but the sex is just part of the equation....there must be attraction.

It would be awsome if there were common shared interests, enjoying each others company, doing things as a couple.

I've personally have reached a threshold of whether to make a decision about the standard I personally have about my prospective SO versus resigning myself to getting to the finish line solo. This is not an enjoyable endeavor I can promise you.
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/8/2015 6:37:49 PM

Not everyone considers camping etc "redneckish interests"

thank you for your feedback.
yes, you’re right about not using the term redneck - apologize for that, but I think that illustrates how things have changed, as I am still a little influenced by social values of the 70’s and 80’s when (around this area) that is what you were considered to be if you were into those outdoor activities. I did not review your profile, I just followed up on what you posted in your first reply. And to be clear, I am not being judgemental about what interests people have, I am only looking for feedback on the sociological change apparent to me on this dating site of a particular age and gender group.
So far (haven’t read all the replies yet) all I’m getting is that they have the time now, or the time and money.
That’s confusing, since if they were married to men that (presumably) enjoyed those things, wouldn’t they have already experienced them, which then leads to the answer that these women just have a natural interest in hunting, camping, fishing, etc. OK, So why then, if women are naturally interested in outdoor recreational pursuits, when I have browsed profiles of younger age ranges, do I not find the same lists of interests.
And all that leaves my question still unanswered, which is: in a metropolitan area that is rife with much more refined cultural pursuits, are so MANY women interested in catching fish? (for example)
I’ve tried to get some feedback from my friends, but their wives just usually give me a terminal stare followed up with a resounding “REALLY?”.
 MsMicki
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 6:44:50 PM

And all that leaves my question still unanswered, which is: in a metropolitan area that is rife with much more refined cultural pursuits, are so MANY women interested in catching fish? (for example)

Because it's fun....because it gets them outside in the fresh air....because she doesn't have to buy a $200 dress for it ???

I find it hard to believe in a city of that size.....that you can't find women that share your "refined" tastes....
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/8/2015 6:54:18 PM

sealady111 - if I were willing to move....

thank you for your feedback.
Well, Pittsburgh is not Sydney, or even New York; I can get a season subscription (Sept - April) for 2 decent seats for a couple nice theaters here for $300; museums are very cheap, so are art galleries (free) and art openings, the conservatory, aviary, zoo,, I could go on; and not to say I don’t enjoy the outdoors - picnics at scenic areas are free too. Fishing is not cheap: there’s the license, bait or lures, a boat (because all the photos posted by women show them holding a fish on a boat), and all the gear ; I’d venture to say all my golf equipment that I bought used cost me far less, and it’s better exercise than sitting in a boat waiting for a stupid fish to take the bait! Really, if THAT is what turns women on, I’m better off alone! hahaha
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/8/2015 6:56:50 PM

ouija2025 - bikes

I said motorcycles, not bikes
 ohenryx
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 6:57:39 PM

Ouija2025
I'm having a really really hard time with a few of the statements made here.
If indeed older women are vying for the older man attention - then why would there be so many older Men on dating sites?
Illogical
I mean - if I have a a fully stocked pantry and freezer why would I venture out to stand in line at Safeway?

Okay, let’s clear up a couple of things here. You asked, “why would there be so many older Men on dating sites?”

Up above, in this thread, I stated, “by age 60, there are 3 women for every 2 men on dating sites”. This is not some made up number, there are articles to back this up. ‘The other free dating site” has published some very good statistics on this.

So there are a lot of men, but there are more women than men in this age range. With me so far?

Now, you ask, “if I have a a fully stocked pantry and freezer why would I venture out to stand in line at Safeway?”. A fair question, to be sure. Most of the men with a fully stocked pantry are not venturing out to Safeway. Most of the men who come on here and gripe about never getting a date are younger men, who are in a completely different demographic, and don’t really stand a chance.

The older men who know how this works tend to be partnered up. I am not, because I’m too busy enjoying the buffet. I have never in my life had it so good. And that is a fact, whether you choose to believe it or not. And I don’t really want to leave the buffet and settle for one woman’s home cooking. How about that for some truth?

CrookCatcher

Kind of an unusual post for you MissScawlett.

MissScawlett did NOT say that. She was quoting me, directly, and agreeing with what I had said. Basically, all men are pigs, and all they want is sex.
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/8/2015 6:58:39 PM

MsMicki - hard to find

yes, me too, ergo the reason I posted for feedback. thank you.
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/8/2015 7:07:54 PM

oujia2025 - why so many older men on dating sites

good point - now we need to explore that further
 Ouija2025
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/8/2015 7:11:22 PM
GWB
We call them bikes here. Usually the men who don't have cuddling as an interest own a few
Well Henry - at least here there are oodles of the nearly dead.. not sure about the USA.. most of my msgs come within my country
I would think that there are far many more older women who are happy enough not to date ( Maybe that failure to launch re Men has something to do with it)
As long as people are happy and finding what they want - power to them.
GWB - many of the older Men who msg me seem to want to replace what they had/yearned for
Very nice Men I am sure.. but damn, they offer all sorts of stuff..
I think women tend to have more secure social networks
Men are often more used to be married.. happily or not.. and they want to recreate it
jmo
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/8/2015 7:11:30 PM

Really, if THAT is what turns women on, I’m better off alone! hahaha

Just because it may be listed as an interest doesn't necessarily mean it's a turn on.

I'm not really certain what the point is you're trying to make. If those women have something listed as an interest that you find disinteresting just click on by. It's not rocket science.

But then again my personal preference would rule out a woman who had attending the theater, symphony's or art galleries as her sole interests probably would'nt be a match, though attending those ocassionally as a couple would be fine, but having those as your only source of interest would fizzle fairly quick....at least for me. But to each their own. ymmv.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/8/2015 7:15:11 PM
As long as you are happy Henry :/
Glad you have it so good
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 7:24:40 PM
Women used to mostly do these outdoor activities with their men. Now they are doing these things without men, but they would prefer to have male company doing these things with them.
I have no idea why younger women aren't listing these interests. The young women I know like the outdoors, camping, etc.
You seem to be confused over nothing much really.

I am not being judgemental about what interests people have, I am only looking for feedback on the sociological change apparent to me on this dating site of a particular age and gender group.
So far (haven’t read all the replies yet) all I’m getting is that they have the time now, or the time and money.
That’s confusing, since if they were married to men that (presumably) enjoyed those things, wouldn’t they have already experienced them, which then leads to the answer that these women just have a natural interest in hunting, camping, fishing, etc. OK, So why then, if women are naturally interested in outdoor recreational pursuits, when I have browsed profiles of younger age ranges, do I not find the same lists of interests.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2015 7:28:22 PM
So ohenry, do you let these women know that you plan on buffet browsing, or do you leave that out of the conversation, leading them to think there's a possibility of more?

The older men who know how this works tend to be partnered up. I am not, because I’m too busy enjoying the buffet. I have never in my life had it so good. And that is a fact, whether you choose to believe it or not. And I don’t really want to leave the buffet and settle for one woman’s home cooking. How about that for some truth?
 sealady111
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/8/2015 7:34:34 PM
Dear Guywithabrain.

If you go to your list of cultural pursuits solo you will meet a myriad of single, mature, elegant women.

Certainly when I attend any of the things on your list women outnumber men significantly.
(Other than the ballet Spartacus where the Australian Ballet men dance in tiny leather lap laps and the audience is about 50% women and 50% gay men. Not a straight man in sight.)

The same with Meetups and just about any other activity I can think that I have attended has more women than men over 50.
Turn up, be charming and strike up a conversation with the ladies.

My dad when in his 70's used to attend the Sydney Opera House for concerts solo wearing his dinner suit.
He regularly came home with multiple phone numbers.

I guarantee that if you attend ANY MeetUp held at ANY of the activities on your list you will be significantly outnumbered by single women.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why mature ladies list these 'masculine' activities is as good as mine.
They like them.
They want to give them a try.
They know some men like them.
They want to experience something a bit of different.

Henry is exactly right.
More mature women have far less choice than a 20 year old woman.
And MANY of the mature women are enjoying the buffet.
But they don't tell that till they have finished tasting that particular morsel.

p.s. I just read your profile.
Sorry. But I strongly suggest that you get a profile review.
So much negativity and wanting a woman who can sew on a button???
No woman I know would contact a profile with all the negativity.

Now if your profile said that you were seeking a woman to accompany you to use your season tickets to the theatre.........

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Interests of women over 50y/o