Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Interests of women over 50y/o      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Interests of women over 50y/oPage 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
No, didn't meet him through POF.
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 77
Interests of women over 50y/o
Posted: 6/10/2015 2:52:38 PM

whistlestop - "my quest in life on these forums ..."

rereading that sort of points out how empty and useless your life must be if THAT is all you have to do with your time
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/10/2015 3:07:51 PM

Ladyinred4755 - “Don't confuse work, for pleasure. Mowing your lawn may keep you active, (otherwise known as work) but unless I'm mistaken, you would not invite a woman to come join you”

Not only do I have a fair amount of work to take care of around my home, but I work a fairly physical part-time job, and the very last thing I want to do for a date is something else that is physically demanding; in addition I belong to a gym and get there when I can, so a date should be something fun, but not strenuous as far as I’m concerned. And just a FYI: the last woman that I had a great relationship with about 10 years ago helped me cut a tree down and drag the branches over a nearby hill after only knowing me about 3 weeks; no, she was not built like a linebacker for the steelers, she was 5’5” and about 140#. Unfortunately she passed on a couple years into our relationship, or I wouldn’t even be on here. What is interesting is that the more physical interests are pretty well divided on a ethnic basis; if I were inclined to date a black lady, I’d have my pick as they rarely list things like fishing, let alone camping!
 sealady111
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/10/2015 3:08:02 PM
Dear Henry, Message 75.

Thank you for picking up my booboo.

Yes. I know mature men who are enjoying the 'buffet' of available women.
Most, like you, do not advise the ladies of this intention.
Hence the frustration of lots of mature ladies who think they have finally met someone who could become a partner then the truth comes out. After the buffet tasting.

There are some women who are enjoying a 'buffet' of men but they tend to choose significantly younger men.
If a 50 something woman wants no string sex, why would she choose an old man when there is a multitude of young, virile, men who do not require any pharmaceutical assistance and are keen to learn to please.

My preference is for transparency and honesty up front.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/10/2015 3:21:41 PM

do you let these women know that you plan on buffet browsing

Interestingly, buffet chains claim that fish is the most popular food consumed on the weekends.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 81
Posted: 6/10/2015 3:24:39 PM

There are some women who are enjoying a 'buffet' of men but they tend to choose significantly younger men.

Would you like that boiled or grilled?
 Guywithabrain
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/10/2015 3:27:10 PM

sealady111 - “The same with Meetups and just about any other activity I can think that I have attended has more women than men over 50. Turn up, be charming and strike up a conversation with the ladies.”

I think there was one other person that also suggested meetups; believe it or not, there are no groups that include singles over 60 in the Pittsburgh area, at least I haven’t found them. (Unless you want to count those aarp people that sit around Panerras on saturday mornings and argue about politics). Most of the events involve meeting at a bar or nightclub with alcohol involved, and even if I wanted to be in that environment, they don’t fit into my work schedule.
 Whistle_Stop
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/10/2015 3:57:10 PM
OP...msg 79...Get over it!!
I was being facetious....because it was such a silly question.
I'm glad the good people here have set you straight...Like most have said, if there is anything you don't understand or can't comprehend on anothers profile...ask them or pass it by.
You're the one claiming to be the man with a brain(is that an insult to other men)....use it.
Easy...peasy!!

My preference is for transparency and honesty up front

Hard to find....lol
 sealady111
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/10/2015 4:05:36 PM
MeetUp groups.

Do not limit yourself to singles MeetUp groups.
Most ladies I know, including me, avoid Singles Meep Ups as we do not want to meet predatory men.

Choose MeetUps where the aim is to do something.
Attend a museum, art gallery, poetry reading, theatre.
You will find a mixture of people.

I will add that you say you get sufficient activity at work and gardening.
May women, me included, have a sedentary job so we welcome more energetic pursuits.

Would you like that boiled or grilled?

Clooney I would welcome you raw anyday.
I am sure together we could create sufficient heat.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2015 4:45:01 PM
Just curious, ohenry, WHY did you have to walk away? And if that's what you do when you encounter intense chemistry, how is it going to happen again?

Absolutely, and it could happen again, easily. Last Saturday night I was dancing with a woman, and the chemistry was so intense I had to walk away, couldn’t even talk to her. Safest to stay away from that flame!
 clooneystutor
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/10/2015 6:24:27 PM
^^^
He was intimidated :)
 sealady111
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/10/2015 6:50:04 PM
^^^^
Love it. :)
 clooneystutor
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/10/2015 8:26:02 PM
Defrosting it now paws :)

Must be a male phenomenon. Being mesmerized that is by someone's appearance.

It's only happened to me a few times, and no, they weren't my ex's, lol, and they were not pictures.

These are the gals that cause you to 'lock up' and freeze when they look at you.

You can't speak and you're not even thinking sex at that point either.

It's that exact moment when you realize...you are 100% male, and a visual creature indeed!
 sealady111
Msg: 89
Posted: 6/10/2015 9:42:52 PM
I have been on the receiving end of the 'lock up' and freeze.

In my case the knee trembles. That makes the man a 'knee trembler'.
Twice I have been so overcome my knees have actually given way and I had to grab something to stop me falling on the floor.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/10/2015 9:51:45 PM
guywithabrain:
in a metropolitan area that is rife with much more refined cultural pursuits, are so MANY women interested in catching fish?

Everyone is different. While I have been an avid hiker since age 21, fishing severely bores me. I love art, jazz music, literature, stage plays and musicals. Surprise! I even have two floor-length, glamorous evening dresses, both involving velvet.

I'm wondering if women list fishing as an interest because they think this appeals to men. Fishing is too boring and sedentary for me. Ditto for golf. I love Dave Barry's take on fishing: "Fishing is very similar to golf because in both sports you hold a long skinny thing in your hand while nothing happens for days at a time."

I have the opposite problem: sedentary older men. "I LOVE hiking!" men proclaim. Turns out they never hiked a day in their lives. They remember sleeping under the stars as a teenager, and want to recapture their lost youth. My favorite: they last hiked at age 18 in the Army.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 91
Posted: 6/10/2015 9:57:16 PM

I'm wondering if women list fishing as an interest because they think this appeals to men.

I think the same thing when I see Dodgers or Lakers on a gals profile.

I make it clear that watching men chase a piece of rubber is not my idea of fun.

A hiker once marched me up a mountain...

I saw her pretty butt get smaller, and smaller, and smaller, as she marched ahead of me.

I'm too grounded for hikers :)
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/10/2015 10:13:38 PM
Clooneystutor:
A hiker once marched me up a mountain...I saw her pretty butt get smaller, and smaller, and smaller, as she marched ahead of me.I'm too grounded for hikers :)

Very funny, Clooney! Was this the hike where you wore black clothes in the blazing hot sun?

When I started with online dating, for first meets I took men on a steep, short day hike to Lake Colchuck (see picture), gaining 2,280 feet in elevation over 4-1/2 miles. I wanted to test their mettle. When I realized I was going to give some out-of shape-guy a heart attack and couldn't carry him out, I downshifted to coffee or lunch in a quiet café. If he's ambulatory, charming and fun, we can go for a walk afterwards.

"Don't you ever stroll?" a new man asked when I picked up the pace. "I want an aerobic workout," I replied.

My ex-husband always said I looked like I was leaving the scene of a crime.

clooneystutor
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/10/2015 10:24:32 PM
Alas, it was LH.

I won't be wearing black on any ascents again.

The last thing I need is a pretty thang watching me getting helo'd off a moutain...
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/10/2015 11:15:33 PM

ohenryx: Asking me to go for a walk would make me think of LiterateHiker, and the very thought of her marching me into the ground would make me run away screaming. Perhaps call it a “leisurely stroll”, the opposite of the Bataan Death March that she keeps talking about. (smile)

What you consider "the Bataan Death March" - hiking- is an uplifting, transcendent, spiritual experience for me. It's all in the perception.

In the mountains often everything I encounter- flowers and trees, the taste of food, mountain peaks, colors- seems luminous and razor-cut in clarity. We all need more low level ecstasy in our lives.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/10/2015 11:21:28 PM

What you consider "the Bataan Death March" - hiking- is an uplifting, transcendent, spiritual experience for me. It's all in the perception.

I love this about you LH. You're a warrior.

See, for me? My couch is too endearing...

Walking 10 miles on flat pavement is a 'Bataan Death March'

I try for the life of me to see the spiritual benefits, but damn...

I'm too worried about finding a bathroom and having my ATM card for that Gatorade nearby...
 CharminC
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/11/2015 8:37:14 AM

In the mountains often everything I encounter- flowers and trees, the taste of food, mountain peaks, colors- seems luminous and razor-cut in clarity. We all need more low level ecstasy in our lives.

Hmm mmm! *nods in agreement.
I miss hiking *whimpers
But the last time I went, I had joined a meetup group. I thought FANTASTIC! I get to meet people and feel safe at the same time hiking up a mountain. I was literally bombed with men from every angle. I thought wtf?! I just want to hike.
But as the typical Canadian, I was polite :P
By the end of the day, we were all at a pub having brunch and drinks, I was surrounded with both men AND women chatting away creating friendships and THAT is how it should be..... No??? Regardless, I haven't used meetup since. It seems to be just another meat market nowadays. *sigh
Perhaps I'm a closeted vegan with my disinterest *gasps*

Walking 10 miles on flat pavement is a 'Bataan Death March'

Oh dude... dude?.......dude!!!!!!
Not to brag but if the land is strictly horizontal I can walk for days with the right pair of footwear. You are so doing your legs and joints a disservice. Get off your tushie :P
 2ufo
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/11/2015 9:34:11 AM
Clooney - Try Denmark -- they can't do the 'Bataan Death March' there. Highest peak is about 500 feet.

Interests are usually too numerous to mention but I'm hoping to restart fishing when in another month or so. I have a special technique. I don't bait the hook, then I don't have to worry about catching one. So very relaxing! Camping - probably not more than once a year; too many spiders and scorpions (I can handle snakes) for me.

I'm going to try meetup for things requiring at least one other person (volleyball, board games) or some knowledge I don't want to bother googling or that might be more fun with interaction (local botany/gardening, surviving the zombie apocalypse).

I really can't understand going to a meetup simply to meet someone who I might end up dating. Where's the fun in that? If you're going to spend time doing something, make sure it's something you'll have fun even if your 'date' doesn't show up. It's also easier to talk to someone when you're enthused by what you're seeing and doing. You're not so worried about how your clothes look or if you're making a good impression.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/11/2015 11:52:59 AM
We have a lot of nice hiking places here where you don't have to
climb mountains. I like hiking the dunes at the beach...you're in
and out of woods...onto sand...walking along the beach at times.
Also quarries to walk around with trails that go out on the rocks
or stay inland.
Or the woods...miles and miles of woodsy trails.
I'm not much of a hiker...I prefer walking.

Of course if you want to climb mountains, there's an app for that.
NH, Me, VT.

Best of all worlds.
 ohenryx
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2015 12:12:58 PM

ohenryx
Last Saturday night I was dancing with a woman, and the chemistry was so intense I had to walk away, couldn’t even talk to her. Safest to stay away from that flame!

Strawberry_Jello
Just curious, ohenry, WHY did you have to walk away? And if that's what you do when you encounter intense chemistry, how is it going to happen again?

clooneystutor
^^^
He was intimidated :)

sealady111
^^^^
Love it. :)

clooneystutor
Must be a male phenomenon. Being mesmerized that is by someone's appearance.

It's only happened to me a few times, and no, they weren't my ex's, lol, and they were not pictures.

These are the gals that cause you to 'lock up' and freeze when they look at you.

You can't speak and you're not even thinking sex at that point either.

It's that exact moment when you realize...you are 100% male, and a visual creature indeed!

While I have had the exact experience that Clooney is talking about here (intense visual excitement), that was not the case here. This was not about looks. The lady in question was very attractive, but not drop dead, blow your mind gorgeous.

I asked her to dance to a slow song. After we got started dancing, she moved in closer and laid her head on my chest. I laid my cheek on top of her head, smelling her hair. And she started singing, along with the song. Her voice was low, audible only to me. And she had a beautiful voice.

I was transcended; I was simultaneously 100% into the moment, utterly aware of my surroundings and the very attractive woman in my arms. And at the same time, I was back over the course of many decades, remembering women whom I had loved, and danced with, who also sang while they danced. Yes, it was sexual, but it was much more emotional than just sexual. And I couldn’t handle it, when the song was over I walked away and did not try to talk, I just couldn’t have handled idle chit chat at that moment.
 ohenryx
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2015 12:40:09 PM

Literate_Hiker

The elevators in this high rise office building have news items on a small tv screen. This morning, I read one that said walking amongst the trees could relieve stress and help you to sleep better at night. I believe that, I grew up in a forest, and I miss it.

But what you describe, the way you talk about it, how men aren’t in shape, and can’t keep up, walk 10 miles in 30 minutes while increasing altitude by 5,000 feet, makes it sound like a competitive sport, an Olympic level competitive sport.

I am not interested in going on a date where I have to compete with a woman at physical activities. Would you be interested in going on a date with me to the gym, where I would belittle you because you couldn’t bench press as much as I do? No, I didn’t think so.

My original post was talking to / at Strawberry_Jello. She was complaining that a man did not want to join her for a walk in the park. My recommendation (a serious one) was to make it clear that she was talking about a leisurely stroll. A few weeks ago, I invited a lady to join me for a Sunday afternoon outing. I picked her up (she knows me already, it was safe), and we drove about 45 minutes to a state park well outside of the metropolitan Houston area. Then we went for a leisurely stroll through the park, feeling the peace and tranquility among the trees, watching the deer and rabbits who were coming out to forage (it was close to sundown).

Contrast that with the Bataan Death March, and I think you can understand where I’m coming from. There are several men here on the forums that are very serious about bicycle riding, they are in great shape and do high effort, long rides. I’m sure they would love to find a female companion for those rides, but they do not make that a requirement for dating, and they do not belittle women who can’t go as far and as fast as they can.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Interests of women over 50y/o