Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > RIP *cowboy*      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 76
RIP *cowboy*Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
How shocking and sad! Thank you for letting us know. I will miss Cowboy's straight-shooting, funny and wise advice in the forums.

Cowboy sent me upbeat, fun messages over the years. I will miss his marvelous joie de vivre.

I will never forget him.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 77
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/17/2015 11:09:49 PM
I adore Cowboy's profile and just reread it for a chuckle, for old time's sake.
Cowboy always made me smile.
His POF profile is still up. Username: *Cowboy*
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 83
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/20/2015 6:35:27 AM
I was sorry to hear this...

IMO he was fair as a moderator, & he did stick up for me once regarding an old thread I created that was viewed as controversial.

I was glad to be able to lend him an ear for a few minutes when he was disappointed about a potential love connection.

Hope he is smiling down at us from way up high in the sky!

Loved his story about meeting a foxy woman in the pickle aisle at Kroegers!
 Mz_Dressup
Msg: 84
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/20/2015 10:16:24 PM
Sad to hear of *Cowboy*'s passing. We spoke a few times and he was always patient when it came to explaining things to me. He certainly had his own style. I will miss him.
 rennips1949
Msg: 85
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/21/2015 3:04:17 PM
Deeply sorry to hear of this...as a longtime lurker I had opportunity to observe him.
Will pass the info on to those whose shoulders I lurked over...they will also be saddened, I'm sure.
 miss_allison
Msg: 86
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/22/2015 2:39:51 PM
I rejoined a few days ago because someone asked me what my thoughts were.
I suspect I have a slightly different perspective as we both moderated for POF for long times.

It is no secret that Cowboy and I had a love/hate relationship. Frankly his passion for POF could sometimes drive me bananas, but its really hard to hold that against him as I think his intentions were always good.
Sadly though I think a lot of people confused my dislike of some of his actions as a dislike of him as a whole.
What a lot of people don't know is that off site he was frequently a sounding board for me. But both Cowboy and I knew the difference between me doing job as a moderator and still being able to chat at the same time.

At first, when I was told he passed, I didn't believe it cause he was still logging in to POF on a daily basis until the day I quit. Apparently he died just a few days after. He never had a chance to dump his profile and rejoin like a lot of you others have done. Here I thought he was just being headstrong. Sadly that wasn't the case. Anyway....

First off, I would like to offer my condolences to all his family and friends.
I was aware of the ongoing issues he had going on for a while and was sad to hear of his sudden passing.
My thoughts are with his family at this time.

Now for a few thoughts about Cowboy.

There is no denying he truly loved POF. Although I started moderating in 2005 and was the first POF event moderator, during my absence, Cowboy eagerly stepped up and helped event hosts though html templates and tutorials that previous moderators such as Puddles had created. Even after I returned after he stopped moderating for POF, he continued to help event hosts with their event threads. He was really passionate about events and really cared for the event hosts and their events. A lot of his work on events still can be found in the events forums and in the event threads he helped create. I know over the years I've had many event hosts tell me how thankful they were for all the hard work he did on their event threads.

He also was an advocate for many of you users out there. Even for some of you big bad fellas that might had thought Cowboy disliked you. Now this is where we both tended to butt heads, but he really had no problem telling me when he thought I was wrong and would often contact me and ask me to lighten up on my bans, etc. Sometimes he was successful. Sometimes not. I know he certainly counselled some of you as how to best contact me. (I know a Cowboy form letter when I see one - hee hee). He always tried to soften his bluntness to me with a darlin'. Again, sometimes he was successful, sometimes not. LOL.

As for troubles we got ourselves into, I'll never forget the one time we both got blasted by POF staff members for trying to protect POF. At the time there was a flaw in the system (resolved now) that made it possible for anyone with enough info to take over an abandoned moderator name. Cowboy plugged the leak and we worked together on trying to keep it plugged only to have a staff member not "get" what the flaw was and instead they unplugged it and reprimanded us both. It might had been comical if it didn't create such a mess in the forums. You might all remember this flaw as the fake Abelian poster. Cowboy did his best to prevent that from happening. What can I say, he had good intentions but they fell on deaf ears. Remember he didn't have to try to prevent this disaster, he just did, for the love of POF.

All that being said, I have to say I liked Cowboy more than I disliked him.
He loved POF and seemed to always have good intentions.

You have to give credit where credit is due and I feel he gave of himself selflessly to POF.
His reward for doing so was an unappreciative webmaster and members that would frequently do hurtful things such as post nasty comments all over the web and/or doctor up photos of him as a joke. No free upgrades, no pay and the few and far between occasional thank you from someone that felt he aided them - be it in the forums or at their events. You have to wonder if people doing stuff like this realize how hurtful their actions could be. Thankfully Mark seemed to be able to handle it. Perhaps the many great friendships he made along the way helped dull the crap given out by others.

So on behalf of all that have never thanked him for his service to POF, I would like to say thank you (even though he drove me bananas sometimes) - Thank you Mark! May you rest in peace.
 kj521
Msg: 87
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/22/2015 3:25:28 PM
Thank you Miss Allison for sharing your personal thoughts and memories.

His days as a moderator are not ones I know much about. That was not only lovely but I am sure will make those who knew him smile. I can picture him laughing, winking and rolling his eyes throughout.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 88
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/22/2015 4:09:00 PM
Very well put Allison and welcome back!

I, also, feel he always had good intentions here. Sometimes he was blunt, sometimes funny, sometimes a charmer but always dedicated and helpful.

Once, years ago, I had an issue with my computer which kept turning itself off. I received lots of trouble shooting advice from posters in my thread, however the terminology for computer parts was over my head even though people patiently tried to describe the parts. Good ol' Cowboy came long and asked me to take photos of the inside of my computer and put them on my profile, so I did.
He said things like : "see that round silver thing at top right? That's the heat sink. That's what needs to be cleaned because your computer is overheating. The green plate with the tiny wires on it and the soldering is the Mother Board"........etc etc etc." Wonderful help!!! None of this "......sheesh, you're just not getting it are you?....."

Miss you Mark. Rest in peace. x
 cotter
Msg: 89
view profile
History
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/22/2015 4:20:42 PM
Messages 89, 90 and 91 ... All very well said.

I really didn't have much interaction with him as a moderator. Either I must not have been posting or I was just being a good girl ... which is probably unlikely.

I just don't really recall having any interaction with him ... to speak of.

I'm glad people are coming in to report fond memories of him. It's a wonderful tribute.

POF was there for me when my son suddenly passed away and now I'm seeing POF again at their best. That's what I recall too ... from my POF family.
 import_from_uk
Msg: 90
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/23/2015 7:17:12 AM
Glad you got my message Allison and sorry it had to come via a third party. I knew you and Mark were friends but it was the only route I had to get it to you before publishing here and I tried to contact those who I knew were his friends before creating this thread.

Thanks for coming back and adding to the thread. Mark would have been touched by that.
 miss_allison
Msg: 91
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/23/2015 8:06:50 AM
No problem at all import_from_uk.

Not your fault that I quit without a word to anyone except one friend and only a handful of people knew how to reach me off site. (I didn't want to get talked out of it - lol).

I just felt it was important that I say a few words about Mark.
I really wish Markus would say a few words for Mark's family but he seems too out of touch with his forums lately.
Just another example of how underappreciated he was.

After all he gave of himself to POF, I thought it was important that someone show appreciation and speak of him not only as a moderator, but as the man he was. At the end of the day, we're all just people, worthy of being treated with dignity. Unfortunately there are too many people who only knew him as a moderator and judged him solely on that, without ever having a conversation with him. It's a shame too, cause being a moderator was just one of the many hats he wore. I figure I have a different perspective than a lot of people out there cause I know what it is like to moderate the jungle otherwise known as POF forums and the impacts it can have on your life. Thankfully though, I know Cowboy had made many great friendships out there that helped counter balance all the negativity.

I like to think Mark, wherever he is, has been sitting back, chuckling, saying the word "sheesh" a lot (it just can't be helped) and enjoying reading the forums as much as I have been lately. Better than any soap opera on tv I say!!

Just promise me, when its my time, no Miss_Allison threads!!!
 BialaPolska
Msg: 92
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/23/2015 12:06:22 PM
We all miss the unreplaceable Cowboy. No doubt. But , this thread begs the question ; why moderation? And , if you prefer this filter , to what extent?
 import_from_uk
Msg: 93
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/23/2015 5:48:14 PM

But , this thread begs the question ; why moderation? And , if you prefer this filter , to what extent?

Perhaps create a new thread rather than de-rail the subject of this one with a conversation about Moderating. Thanks.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 94
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/24/2015 10:01:01 AM
I loved *cowboy* / mark. I wasn't in touch with him off site very much, and I didn't know a lot about him personally, but we shared a lot of emails and a lot of laughs here. one time he banned me for 15 minutes
oh well, his heart was in the right place.

*cowboy*... pax vobiscum, darlin'

import, thanks for letting us know.
 yeahmeagain70
Msg: 95
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/24/2015 11:45:49 AM
Knock it off idiots, cowboy was a douchebag.

You people are as pathetic as when the school goon/bully dies in an accident and suddenly they are remembered as a hero, champion, resuer of puppy dogs and kittens.

He was mouthy, arrogant, rude, ignorant and had a piss-poor a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e.

It's no secret that London's finest, Allison, is several rowns behind him as far as likeability. Power tripping douchebags.

Hey, Allison, I attended a function once about 7 years ago where you showed up and sat on the other side of the table. The deragotory whispers about you I heard from your peers on my end of the room were....well, can't be repeated here....but you already have achieved fame on the Internet.

Anyone can google "Miss Allison pof" and read all about you on dozens of posts. The only ones who support you are the ones similar to you in personality.

And yet, here you are, back again...but I digress.

Getting back to buddy here....he will not be missed by many, because he was abusive and a bully towards anyone who didn't fit into his narrow view of things....that's all there is to it.
 kj521
Msg: 96
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:57:18 PM
I am truly saddened by the above post.

Although, it has opened my eyes to the notion that Miss Allison introduced...that the moderators had to deal with vile individuals with disgusting behavior on a daily basis. And for what? Not for pay....not for recognition or respect from admin....or many forum posters....but because they cared for this website. They are better people than I, as I would not do it.

I have been given permission to post that I received a private message from Miss Allison with regard to the fact that she was deleting her profile out of respect for Mark as she did not want to distract this memorial thread from what it was created to be.

Thank you again Miss Allison for allowing us to see a different side to Mark and the challenges you both faced and I know he would be touched by your reason for self deleting.

With that said I must add....

I was very fortunate that I did get to know Mark on a personal level. The person in the profile is the man I got to know and a side of him you only get a glimpse of. The kind....heart of gold....give you anything you asked for side.He came into my life at a moment where I could not have felt more alone and gave me laughter and hope and asked for nothing in return. I can only hope I gave him the same.

Your memory and the love you freely gave with remain in the hearts of those that loved you.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 97
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/24/2015 6:14:07 PM
^^^ kj, I think you were lucky to have the opportunity to get to know him personally. I loved his straightforward style, pure texas (I lived there a couple of years, it rubs off on you). you never had to guess where he stood on anything. it was so easy to imagine sitting at a bar with him somewhere, just having a great time about nothing in particular.
 kj521
Msg: 98
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/24/2015 7:15:59 PM
Yes, Ms. Motown....I was very lucky. But the funny thing is....the way you described Mark were some of the same things he said to me about you. He told me he loved your posts. That crazy man would contact me by text, email, pof message or phone (and sometimes several of these ways at the same time) just to tell me to look at this or that thread and read one of your posts because you made him laugh so hard.

And it was easy to imagine sitting in a bar with him having a good ole' time about nothing in particular...but you knew that it was only a matter of time before nothing in particular was gonna turn into SOMETHING! And it would definitely be memorable. He had a natural charm that can't be taught. :)
 Coma_White
Msg: 99
view profile
History
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/25/2015 1:03:09 AM
Why was he banned? Wasn't he a mod?
 robaustralia
Msg: 100
RIP *cowboy*
Posted: 6/25/2015 3:21:27 AM

Why was he banned? Wasn't he a mod?

One could also ask why his Gold profile still exists? Don't they have to be paid for? If so that means someone is paying to maintain a dead mans's profile. That is a bit perverse.

I've smelt a rat since this thread was started. Anyone else feel that way? We all know the OP is a Loonie, that says something to start with.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > RIP *cowboy*