Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > You get blocked just for sending a message?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ouija2025
Msg: 51
You get blocked just for sending a message?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
If they change their mind they can always message you :) I don't usually block - it is however annoying to keep getting msgs from people you have no interest in.
I have stopped saying anything at all and let my silence speak
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 52
You get blocked just for sending a message?
Posted: 1/6/2016 2:41:14 PM

Why should I tailor this perfect message specifically for you, just for you to never respond?

Why bother to send any message at all if you’ve already determined she’ll never respond and obviously think so lowly of her?

If you deem a woman unworthy of any effort on your part, why the heck would you want to message her or meet her?? I can’t wrap my head around your bass ackward thinking. :/
 kj521
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/6/2016 2:46:36 PM
" I can’t wrap my head around your bass ackward thinking. :/"

Well I can. I have teenagers who use the same type of reasoning skills. :D
 Dragracer428
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/6/2016 2:49:43 PM
Happened yesterday, got home from work on Monday to 3 Meet Me's, looked them up, thought 1 was interesting enough to message. Spent a few minutes writing a message that seemed inline with her profile.
Checked yesterday and I had been blocked LOL.
Always 2 ways of looking at things, I could be all butt hurt about this or look at it as a close call with a drama queen. Grin
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 2:59:52 PM
I doubt that a certain number of blocks would have a person's profile deleted. After all it can happen with just sending a first message. Once you guys have been blocked a few times you learn not to take it too personally I am sure. All part of the game. Better than turning up and she is a no show, right!!!
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/6/2016 3:08:09 PM
Your only two choices of reaction are to be butt hurt or assume you had a close call with a drama queen?? Gee I wonder which one you chose.
 Dragracer428
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/6/2016 4:10:15 PM

Your only two choices of reaction are to be butt hurt or assume you had a close call with a drama queen?? Gee I wonder which one you chose.

And I had just finished drying the tears and you had to bring it back up again, for shame.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2016 8:25:32 AM
“I doubt that a certain number of blocks would have a person's profile deleted.”

Evidence that your account can be deleted for being blocked by too many users (including users who have been told directly by POF that’s why their accounts were deleted and moderators disseminating that information directly from POF):

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16195941.aspx
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14147607.aspx
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14402651.aspx
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16285205.aspx

This site was set up to be largely self-regulating so the owner could be as cheap and lazy as possible. As a result, it overflows with the unintended consequences of its bare bones strategy, including the deletion of many profiles that most would argue didn’t deserve that fate.

But feel free to continue to contribute to the deletion of profiles on here because you and your infinite POF history “doubts it” and you have some sort of bone to pick with men you deem inferior.
 ohenryx
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2016 11:10:29 AM

HawkingJr
This site was set up to be largely self-regulating so the owner could be as cheap and lazy as possible. As a result, it overflows with the unintended consequences of its bare bones strategy, including the deletion of many profiles that most would argue didn’t deserve that fate.

If you take the time to do a google search, you can find several articles about this site, including interviews with Markus. He brags, repeatedly, about how “inexpensive” this site is. Minimum number of servers, very very few employees, “self regulating”, etc.

Actual posts made here in the forums, by Markus himself, clearly indicate that he is NOT at all interested in what any of us think about this site, how it works, how he runs it, etc.

Does anyone have a clue whether the sale has actually gone through, and if he is still the actual owner? At some point we need to stop bit__ing about Markus, and start bit__ing about the new owners.

And speaking of blocks, it’s interesting that you can see whom you have blocked, but not who has blocked you. I was just looking at that the other day. I have blocked maybe a dozen people over the course of the last 6 years. Some for standing me up. And a few from the forums here, people who took exception to something I posted and sent me harassing / threatening messages.
 Patmaster
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2017 5:40:21 PM
"You only know you are blocked if you send another message".- Not true- when you are blocked, your conversation and history with that person disappears, as does their profile, regardless of whether you send another message.
 sun___flower
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2017 7:14:30 PM
Hi Patmaster,

Welcome to the forums. :-)
 familyguy4444
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2017 3:16:59 PM
The problem with some blocking others simply because he or she is not interested is that POF will delete your account if "you accumulate a high number of blocks. Users who are deleted may not signup to the service again." That is in the current FAQ at http://www.pof.com/helpCenter/helpCenter_faq.aspx?Guid=88794965&SID=euz2kddpmimcu4rg4wl5tqdq

You should only be able to block someone if there is real cause, such as rude messages. Either that, or POF needs to do away with its policy on deleting accounts for a "high number of blocks."
 ponyelvis82
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2017 4:59:18 PM
Neither is going to happen. After this long, and this many complaints, and this many people just openly talking about how they block people just because they don't get their panties wet, nothing is going to change. It's just the way of dating sites. I'm actually banned from one because I messaged too many people who lived what they felt was too far away from me.

But nobody can figure out why so few guys tend to take these sites seriously anymore.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/11/2017 8:20:02 AM
I don't think I've ever been blocked.
Unless the people who blocked me are people I don't
want to talk to anyways.
I've blocked a few, because they wouldn't go away.

I don't think I'd take it personally.
 sun___flower
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2017 10:50:52 AM

You should only be able to block someone if there is real cause, such as rude messages.

But then who defines what a rude message is? I'm glad to have the option to decide when to block someone from contacting me again.
 south_city
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/11/2017 2:28:23 PM

But then who defines what a rude message is? I'm glad to have the option to decide when to block someone from contacting me again.

Name calling or not being able to take no for an answer would be 2 examples when blocking someone is justified.
 DarkjujuEmpath
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/29/2017 9:44:52 AM
I have to block a lot of men. Mainly they will continue to email after I do not response to their messages. OR they will keep responding when I have stated we are not a good match. OR they will get mad because I did either of the above and send an ugly email. Online dating is not easy or for the faint of heart. Gawd forbid I am bored and just trolling profiles, the men assume I must want them because I looked and proceed to flood my email. Blocking is a very necessary tool. Let's be real online dating give many people the option to approach people they would not normally approach. In their minds it worked out so much differently than it did and that pisses them off.
As far as deleting your profile because you have received too many blocks suggest to me YOU need to reconsider how you practice online dating. I mean more than 50 blocks then you are doing something VERY wrong.
 alittledrummergirl
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2017 7:52:54 PM
I'm so sorry you were treated badly when you hadn't deserved it. Maybe she was gun-shy .. too wary of every man who paid any attention to her; maybe she prefers to be the aggressor, but whatever; that's on her. It just shows she wouldn't have been a good match for you anyway.

The only time I block somebody is, after I've politely thanked him for writing but don't see us as compatible, he starts demanding reasons. I don't owe him reasons beyond the one I already gave, and I don't feel like being bullied, especially by somebody I've never even met! I responded to your thread because I actually just had to block a man for being too pushy after I said "thank you, I wish you all the best .."
I don't ever want to be rude to anybody. It takes courage to put yourself out there and risk being shot down, so I respond to everybody at least once. If they're cool about it, all good, but I will swiftly block anybody who shows the potential for overbearing behaviour, as that guy did today.

It's not your fault this happened to you. She just wasn't the right one. Maybe you even dodged a bullet! You never know. God bless.
 RonBurgundyLaw
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2017 11:06:17 AM
This is quite a common topic for discussion on dating forums (along with the related "why won't they at least reply?" argument).

If someone sends you abusive messages, report it to the moderators. It's not that hard to decide what a "rude" message is. If he is effing and blinding and calling you the whore of Babylon then I think the line has been crossed.

Being blocked can sting a bit (even more than being ignored) because we often think of it as something reserved for creeps, so when a girl on here blocks you it feels like she is labelling you as a creep as opposed to merely rejecting you. "But all I did was say hi!", right? I've had a version of this happen to me in real life too, as sometimes people will not only reject you but also make out like you committed a faux pas and you should have known not to even start a conversation with them.

OP, whilst I agree that it's unfair and that the excuses people are making in this thread don't really wash, ultimately we live in a world in which freedom of association exists. Many people are very conceited and genuinely do not care whether they have treated you fairly. Trying to reason with those people is a futile endeavour - it shouldn't be, but it is. Life is too short to waste your time like that. Focus on maximising the time you spend with nicer people. Think like a successful businessperson; recognise a bad investment, cut your losses and move on to someone who shares your vision.
 jay951jay
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/16/2017 6:22:00 AM
people like to abuse the block feature. if a person is being rude & disrespectful then blocking is fine. but when you ask a person how are they, how has pof been to you. is not grounds to block sonebody. if somebody is not interested just say so or don't respond back
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2017 5:54:40 PM

move on to someone who shares your vision.

AKA, to quote Don Quixote-The Man of La Mancha:

"to dream the impossible dream".
 Roseanna001
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2017 5:56:34 AM
I blocked two guys who claimed they were in the military. Typically, I google search pics of guys to see if their photos have been stolen. I learned that from another dating site a couple years back. Sure enough, one of the guys was using a stolen military pic. In fact, the pic had an article that some scammer was using this military guys pics. I blocked him without responding.

The second military guy's English was so bad there was no way he could have been in the military for 25 years as he claimed. I asked him about it, he was half-German, half-American and retiring after this last tour. He had no independent ideas, agreed with everything I said and then asked to take our conversation off-line. I said no, and that no one in the military would get mis-spell certain military words.
 Cynderella
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2017 9:15:42 AM
I look at it like the cup is half full...
Throw a "Block Party"
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > You get blocked just for sending a message?