Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Being stood up still irks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NJgirl116
Msg: 26
Being stood up still irksPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

My advice: Read their interest.

I agree. I was talking to a gentleman on this site (I wrote to him first), then he disappeared mid conversation. A week or two later, he suddenly wrote and asked for my phone #. I gave it. He did not answer and disappeared again. Two weeks later, I get a voicemail asking me out. I didn't call back. With this level of interest, I'm PROBABLY looking at getting either stood up or canceled on last minute.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Being stood up still irks
Posted: 6/14/2015 4:37:15 PM

That a woman would arrange for you to pick her up at home and take her somewhere, a stranger from the net, is loopy in my view anyway. Even if she had met you once before.

I'd known her for 6 months. And this was 30 years ago, when people DID trust each other.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/14/2015 6:56:52 PM
eternitygracesme:
From her description of Jack, even if I were to whittle the Jack list down to a couple of dozen of Jacks, I still wouldn't discover the Jack to whom she referred, in her post. Jack whom, by the way? I don't give a shit.

I think you're over-reacting -- for nothing, of course, other than to marginalize a woman for recounting and sharing her experience.

Thank you for your support. For heavens sake, I didn't give his last name, official job title, where he works or lives. Tens of thousands of people worked on the massive Carlton Complex wildfire last summer.

The 2014 Carlton Complex fire, the largest recorded wildfire in Washington history, burned 256,108 acres, destroyed 353 homes, and caused an estimated $98 million in damage. The fire caused no direct fatalities or serious injuries, although one homeowner died of a heart attack while protecting his home.

Lightning sparked the fire on July 14, 2014, in four spots near the towns of Carlton, Twisp, and Winthrop in Okanogan County on the Methow River. The four fires spread uncontrollably and on July 17, hot winds turned them into a firestorm that raced 25 miles south. It reached Pateros on the Columbia River, and burned down 111 homes. It burned homes and ranches in the Chiliwist Valley, and threatened the town of Malott on the Okanogan River.

On July 18, it merged into one gigantic fire and approached the hills around Brewster, burning 47 homes. By July 22, firefighters had stopped most of the advance. By the end of July, the fire was 71 percent contained. On August 21, massive downpours caused devastating mudslides over the bare, ashen landscape. Yet rain helped douse the remaining hot spots and on August 24, 2014, officials declared the Carlton Complex fires 100 percent contained.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/14/2015 7:03:48 PM
Behind-Blue-Eyes:
He is in a Supervisory Position there......
He was a Pilot or Spotter who worked the Carlton Complex Fire.......
3,000 People may have worked that Fire, but most of them don't fit your description of Jack......

WRONG AGAIN.
Jack is neither a pilot nor spotter.
I deliberately chose to call his position "firefighting supervisor" because it is vague and covers many different positions.
 Olivoil
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/14/2015 7:08:38 PM
LH, why would you be compelled to make this post all about you? Your reply to op is a little out of context, don't you think?
 sealady111
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/14/2015 7:24:01 PM
Kathleen, LH.

How long does it take to get fit legs.

Yesterday, I took my dogs for a bush walk.
What you may call a short hike.
My FitBit tells me I walked 7.5km and climbed the equivalent of 38 flights of stairs.
Now my legs ache.

I realise for you that 'hike' is not much but my legs think it is a lot and are even complaining about flat walking today.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/14/2015 7:32:04 PM

LH, why would you be compelled to make this post all about you? Your reply to op is a little out of context, don't you think?

She's very proud that she went out with a "firefighter supervisor" and we all have to know about it.
 Olivoil
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/14/2015 7:43:27 PM
"She's very proud that she went out with a "firefighter supervisor" and we all have to know about it".

ALMoST.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/14/2015 8:16:31 PM
sealady:
Kathleen, LH.
How long does it take to get fit legs.

Good question, Diana. It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to rock a short dress? Keep exercising your legs. In the weight room you can also do calf presses, leg raises, leg extensions and leg presses.

In 2014 I did 32 hikes totaling 108 miles, and 44,718 feet of elevation gain (and loss.) Also walk/ jog on the riverfront. Lift weights regularly (2-3 times/week). I've been doing this for 40 years.

The first hike of the season is always a leg burner, no matter what I do. Each hike gets easier.

My first hike of 2015 was the summit of Mt. Sauer (see photo) totaling six miles, with 2,00o feet of elevation gain. My calf muscles were painfully burning on the last steep push to the summit. Glad I brought Gatorade.
 DietFree
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 8:34:38 PM

Very catty....plops down a bowl of milk.

Just because she used "Jack" doesn't mean that she's making it "all about her". Other people have mentioned their own experience on this subject.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/14/2015 8:38:36 PM
See now Sealady...

If you could develop the calfs of LH and the sleuthing skills of others here,

you could hunt down these cretins and intimidate the crap out of 'em!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 8:42:01 PM
and we still lease the reconditioned Chanuks from the US to do major water bombing, dont we, Di???
Elvis and the other one whose name escapes my memory.

Amen to the thanks to all the heroes of the modern world.... the firefighters, SES.... etc
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 8:45:18 PM
purplerider
Yes, 30 years ago danger still existed but then I took risks when I was younger, too....lucky to have got off lightly with a couple of situations I found myself in.

If you knew her for 6 months that may be a different story.....but she still blew you off.......
 sealady111
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/14/2015 8:55:44 PM
My exercise plan is to:

1: Keep the dogs amused so they do not destroy my house.
2: Transform from "BBW" or "few extra" to Hubba Hubba
3. Keep my brain from going soft along with the rest of me.
4. Negate my hatred of gyms. Give me a bush walk or swim to a waterfall or sailing on our stunning waterways any day.
5. Get my heart racing, work up a sweat, flood my body with endorphins and collapse in a wonderful satiated state of exhaustion.
6. Be an alternative to the sex I am not having at present.
7. Be even more intimidating when I walk around looking like a Victoria's Secret model.

Re Elvis. I still call them all Elvis. Letita
Another example of Aussies and Yanks being friends and helping each other out.
I found this on the internet.

As the other Elvis has been quoted to say.
"Thank you very much"

Elvis is the nickname of Erickson S-64 Air-Crane N179AC which has gained fame in Australia as a highly visible and valuable tool in bushfire suppression. The helicopter, which can hold 9,500 litres of water or foam mix, has been brought out by the Victorian Government from the USA for each fire season since 2001-2002. The aircraft obtained its nickname due to the time that it spent working for the United States National Guard in Memphis, where singer Elvis Presley lived for most of his life.

Erickson Air-Crane helitankers were first brought out to Victoria in December 1997. The first one, dubbed by locals as "Eric the Water Bomber" (N223AC), was used to fight a fire in Frankston and the Caledonia fire in the Alpine National Park, and was brought out again for subsequent fire seasons up to 2000-2001.[3] On December 27, 2001 "Elvis", which had arrived in Melbourne, was immediately deployed to Bankstown, New South Wales to help with fire fighting efforts in the Sydney region and was lauded for its role in helping to save almost 300 homes. It was also credited with helping save the lives of 14 firemen in the Burragorang Valley in New South Wales.[

Two other Aircranes, "Georgia Peach" (N154AC) and "Incredible Hulk" (N164AC), were rushed out from the U.S.A on board a Russian Antonov An-124 air freighter to assist with the 2001-2002 Sydney bushfires following the successful deployment of "Elvis".

A number of other Aircranes and Skycranes have subsequently been brought out to Australia for each bushfire season and based in Western Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2015 9:14:03 PM
Di,
that's it. George Peach!!!!!. Thanks for all that info......They were apparently shipped out in pieces, and we assembled the parts here???
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/14/2015 9:25:11 PM
Hilarious, Diana! My exercise plan is to mentally grab myself by the collar and march myself to the YMCA. "I'll do a light workout today," I comfort myself. Nice try.

Once there I throw myself into my regular, hour-long weightlifting routine and abdominal crunches, followed by (my favorite) stretching and Yoga.

Afterwards I tap-dance down the outdoor steps at the YMCA, feeling like a million dollars. Flooded with endorphins.
 gtomustang
Msg: 42
helping jack off the helicopter
Posted: 6/14/2015 10:32:17 PM
getting stiffed does suck. like with other situations in life, we should be able to get excited about the outcome of something we're hoping will go well. then we get let down.

not much to do but keep on, keeping on. and remember to consume water during those long walks, flush out the lactic acid. I was getting some near shin splints from getting about some big shows last week. As for those big cargo planes, it defies physics that those monsters can get their fully loaded belly up into the air.

LH, you're lucky you get those endorphins. My pain tolerance's too high, I never get the "runner's rush". *grumble*
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/15/2015 6:45:06 AM
of course it's annoying. momentarily. people being rude, or getting the sense that you're being jerked around isn't something you'd expect to grow on you. did you have a plan B? always have a plan B! that way, it doesn't matter because you will always have something else fun to do.

one time I agreed to meet someone and it was a bit of a drive. I didn't really care if he never showed up, because I had several options of other things to see and do in the area if that happened. as it turns out, it never went past one date.... and that's how it will be for most of the people you meet anyway.

so why waste time getting bent out of shape about nothing? in my head, i'm always thanking the people who self-eliminate, because they just did me a favor. woot! just another one of life's small victories.
 benartflick
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/15/2015 7:42:05 AM

Afterwards I tap-dance down the outdoor steps at the YMCA, feeling like a million dollars. Flooded with endorphins.

Maybe it's the yoga. After working out and swimming, I usually saunter away from the gym, feeling exhausted. In my younger days, after 2 hours of running around playing tennis, my girlfriend and I were exhausted. Now I'm exhausted after playing golf, in a cart.

After a mile run, while in the army, we all fell to the ground trying to catch our breaths. I don't recall anybody dancing around, flooded with endorphins. Perhaps 'endorphins' is for a few lucky women.

Even after sex, I heard most men take a break. Ya ever see one get up and dance around the room? (I kinda think both you and your dates do.)
 clooneystutor
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/15/2015 8:12:09 AM
Hot child in the city
Hot child in the city
Runnin' wild and lookin' pretty
Hot child in the city
 kayla_58
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/15/2015 9:20:57 AM
Yeah, well, at least it sounds better than WISHING you had been stood up ...
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/15/2015 11:59:16 AM

She's very proud that she went out with a "firefighter supervisor" and we all have to know about it.

But we STILL don't know the name of the Thai restaurant Jack ate at.

Give me a bush walk

Do you sing "Waltzing Matilda" while you wait for your billy to boil?

Or "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport"?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/15/2015 12:20:50 PM

Jack directed bombers in a fire but couldnt direct his arse to the right thai restaurant lol, poor show

hahahahahahaha!

Sometimes on these threads, pontificating old poots comes to mind.

I've never been stood up, unless you count the elvis impersonator that took a nap
and forgot to call to confirm plans. I was iffy about him anyways.

I've never stood anyone up either. I've gotten picky about people I talk to...forget
going out with, so if I make plans...I see them through.

Welcome back norwegianguy! It's nice to see you!
 clooneystutor
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/15/2015 12:28:39 PM

But we STILL don't know the name of the Thai restaurant Jack ate at.

The Lotus Blossom ?
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/15/2015 12:46:24 PM
Ha! Only time I ever stood someone one up was when I was sitting in the ER with a broken arm. I was never forgiven.

Been stood up a few times but until I see the whites of their eyes ... It's not real.

LH, I think we have to work on getting you out of the "J" section of the dating arena. lol Don't worry about the way you type. Unless someone has real issues, they are not going to go to the effort of tacking down Jack or John. Good Grief!

Le Pew
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Being stood up still irks