Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Donald Trump running for Presidency 2016      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 714
Donald Trump running for Presidency 2016Page 31 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump's tax plan would cost an eye-popping $12 trillion over 10 years, according a new estimate that runs directly counter to the billionaire's pledge not to increase the deficit with the proposal.

The conservative Tax Foundation, which has been scoring candidates' tax proposals throughout the race, found that Trump's changes to the individual tax code would add $10.2 trillion to the deficit using traditional scoring methods, his corporate tax cuts would add $1.54 trillion and his proposal to eliminate the estate tax would add another $238 billion.

In addition, the gains from the cuts would disproportionately benefit ultra-wealthy Americans like Trump, whose personal income, business earnings and inheritors all stand to gain from a number of its provisions. According to the analysis, the wealthiest 1% of Americans would see their after-tax incomes increase by 21.6% versus just 1.4% for the poorest 10%.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/tax-group-trump-tax-plan-would-cost-12-trillion-n435666
 flyguy51
Msg: 715
Donald Trump running for Presidency 2016
Posted: 9/30/2015 9:36:34 AM

I believe that what Trump has in mind is growing the economy in a variety of ways which will allegedly more than compensate for lower taxes, etc.

I have for many years played a game called SimCity 4 Deluxe...you'd have to be real familiar with it to understand this...and I've built and managed probably hundreds of cities by now. Its a bit complicated, and if you're trying to really do it right and end up with something that has perpetual vitality in many ways, you will fail most of the time as I have. One of the many truths revealed, at least in the game, is that I can be quite successful by having quite low taxes across the board, yet a big budget to work with and a very large and very vibrant city because I address things in other ways indirectly and with a long term stable endeavor, by making my citizens wealthy and capable overall.

If I read you right, that doesn't surprise me at all. One can lower taxes and actually increase tax revenues from the ensuing growth. The catch is that when Reagan accomplished this, it was made possible by massive debt spending on the aerospace and defense sector with the goal of fighting and outspending the Soviets-- the "stable endeavor."

It is simply "borrow and spend" in favor of "tax and spend," and is one of the many reasons I switched from a Republican to Democrat voter. Clinton, in contrast, raised taxes, rolled back defense spending, yet still had massive growth via the dot com boom and had budget surpluses to show for it. Reagan's growth worked via debt spending, whereas Clinton's worked via good fortune. I have found that Republican voters and politicians are only concerned about budget deficits and national debt when a Democrat resides in the White House...
 pontogoldworth
Msg: 716
Posted: 9/30/2015 11:22:59 AM
It was Reagan who actually started the spiraling of the deficit with his nonsensical trickle down theory. It didn't work then and won't now. It does the economy no good to have most of the money in the hands of a few who will never be able to spend it in their lifetimes.
 gtomustang
Msg: 717
Posted: 9/30/2015 3:23:07 PM
"I have for many years played a (computer simulation) game called SimCity 4 Deluxe...you'd have to be real familiar with it to understand this...and I've built and managed probably hundreds of cities by now. Its a bit complicated...you will fail (many times) . One of the many truths revealed, at least in the game, is that I can be quite successful by having quite low taxes across the board, YET A BIG BUDGET to work with and a very large and very vibrant city because I address things in other ways indirectly and with a long term stable endeavor, by making my citizens wealthy and capable overall."

>>there are times where computer simulations come real close to reality. How do low taxes work? when a lot of people are paying a lot of those low taxes, which then creates a big budget. Unfortunately, the baby boom generation who worked and had paychecks, are now slipping into retirement, where their tax rate can go lower. Also, what they were spending back in their heyday wasn't always cash, but credit. If it wasn't for credit, they may not have been able to afford that housing boom that got people out of the cities.

A sputtering economic engine, doesn't create a lot of paychecks for people to pay income taxes on. so how do you infuse cash into a sputtering economic engine, so that people spend more locally, which gives local businesses money to buy more product? by giving 1% of the population more money to hand to a financial investor who will buy stocks in companies that are already financially secure (ie, safe) or risky foreign markets, or by giving money to a wide range of consumers and letting the money trickle up ?

oh, there is that credit thing. Some of us might remember the Savings and Loan crisis. Deregulated banks overloaned money. Then recently we had a second bank crisis. Guess what family was in the White House both times? uh oh.

as for what middle class might possibly replace the one we had from the 1960's thru the Clinton era...most economic experts are pointing to...wait for it...immigrants who come to America, do well, and then elevate. or get their "anchor babies" into school and maybe they become some internet sensation. that's right, record immigration numbers might make up a population bubble in America.

the people who might possibly make "America great again"...are the ones we accuse of changing what it looks and sounds like. ain't that ironic.
 pontogoldworth
Msg: 718
Posted: 9/30/2015 3:32:07 PM
^^^ If you want to read what we face, read some publications from Harry Dent regarding the demographic bomb. Essentially, as the baby boomers retire, and we are all getting close, we significantly slow our spending. We downsize instead of upsize.

The generations that are following the boomers have neither the numbers nor the wealth to power the economy the way the boomers did. So who is going to be left to buy all of the mcmansions as the boomers go to Condos, spend less on everything from furniture, and appliances to travel.

This has got to reverberate through the economy. We are on the downslide.

The stock market is probably even now at the end of the bull and has entered bear territory.

This coming Bear may well be a big one.

Of course the market works in cycles. We are due for a bear market and we will be back in a bull soon enough.

But the economy will never be what it was in the past. We will never have the wealthy middle class as in days gone by.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 719
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2015 4:39:57 PM
Seems like we already have some bear. The bull done runned away.

I hope Trump isn't planning on fixing everything by running debt really high, and then just having America file for bankruptcy.

Some things about SimCity 4 Deluxe make me think that it should be one of many other things I have in mind that would be required (playing it several times and doing well) for anyone trying to be in certain positions of responsibility and authority. But, it can come only so close to reality. For example, I often barely have any kind of police-presence...police stations here and there...because I found that if my virtual citizens have lots of educational and employment opportunities (and so high education for everyone, and a good variety/plenty of jobs, etc) along with other things that I institute in my cities, like having to do with quality of living/city life, I hardly have any crime. Extremely low crime rates, sometimes none at all. However, I know that in the real world...there can still be quite a bit of crime. For reasons untouched by educational levels, wealth, and quality of life. All kinds of other factors at play which hasn't been put into the game.

Maybe mister Trump imagines certain economic effects stemming from deportation of illegals including those illegals doing what they have to do to get back in legally, as part of his overall idea. I can think of several different kinds of things that businesses (and the workforce) at many levels would have to do to adjust, or "get" to do in some cases. But all of the things which immediately come to my mind are a mixed bag of potential negatives and positives. Meaning that I'm not sure just how it would all add up in the end, and this includes that degree of unpredictability in the whole machine.

btw, It's been hard to feel like I have a good read on any of the candidates, but I am now thinking that I don't much like Fiorina. And might...might...kinda-sorta like Christie. One maybe two others, can't remember. But don't hold me to any of that. Most judgement that I try to make on such things has very little to do the obvious 'surface' stuff they talk about or the details of their opinions on certain things.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 720
Posted: 9/30/2015 4:40:06 PM
Well, I'm old. Old enough to remember how Reagan plunged the economy into deep, deep recession, then got saved by the Boomers and a consumer lead recovery. They hit their 30's, had kids, bought houses and minivans. Despite the policies of high interest rates to discourage consumer spending, the Boomers needed things with families.

The Millenials are a bigger generation than the original Baby Boom. And they are approaching their 30's. They will do exactly what every generation before them has done. Even terrible economic policies won't be able to stop that. Of course, it would be better if there were sensible policies. But that would mean looking at things like facts - and there is one political party for which that is anathema.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Donald Trump running for Presidency 2016