Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dealbreakers and +'s in a profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deetristate
Msg: 51
Dealbreakers and +'s in a profilePage 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Men hugging or kissing animals. Breaker.
 Peas_
Msg: 52
Dealbreakers and +'s in a profile
Posted: 6/30/2015 3:07:24 PM
Skullet hidden by cowboy hat.
 flamingjune1960
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2015 8:30:00 AM
Excuse me? What did you say about redheads? Its genetics alright but I am 55yrs old and I am gorgeous....oh what a wonderful world it would be if only I believed that. But I digress...
I have plenty of dealbreakers but does it really help to advertise that? I think not...
 clooneystutor
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/4/2015 9:42:59 AM
^^^
If we all could as age as well as this gal...
 Mummymania
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/5/2015 1:35:31 PM
^^^ agreed. I have to assume she colors her hair, right
 grover14
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2015 4:04:10 PM
Flamingjune, you are gorgeous! And that beautiful red hair is a deal maker, not a deal breaker for me. Smokin' hot...
 clooneystutor
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/5/2015 4:10:53 PM
Apparently usernames are now another dealbreaker...
I want to hear the deal breakers in a profile
Posted: 7/7/2015 7:04:22 PM
Yes, I want to hear her deal breakers because when you get right down to it, I think the best way to really learn about a person's values is to hear what they complain about.

The top dealbreaker for me continues to be a woman who portrays herself as having high moral character and integrity, but the photos portray someone who is the opposite.

It's hard to believe you want to serious relationship when your photos are all dolled up of you wearing a low-cut shirts and you complain that online dating is really difficult.

Well it is, especially for women, but if you're not going to ask difficult questions upfront… Such as the prescription drugs he's taking, or how long he's lived on his own, or is he financially solvent, well it is, especially for women, but if you're not going to ask difficult questions upfront… Such as the prescription drugs he's taking, or how long he's lived on his own, or is he financially solvent, then why even get involved? Wouldn't the really good man welcome such questions as an opportunity to showcase how much they have it together?
 thebomb1971
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/10/2015 7:00:47 AM

NO MAN sees himself as overweight or out of shape

I admit that I am. After I decided to move to Florida I stopped going to the gym. I'll pick up the gym again after I'm in Gainesville.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/10/2015 9:00:28 AM
people looking for adventure. nascar fans. fat men in football jerseys. gomers.
oops there goes 90% of Indiana.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/10/2015 10:38:45 AM
Women who select PNTS for body style who have a slew of pics [dated or not] that show her as "average" or better. Of course what constitutes "average" in this day and age here in the USA... is suspect. My "best guess" is that PNTS would mean at least 25% over what she would like to weigh.

?????

Fish really should [and could] easily add/change some of the available choices for body type. Of course ONLY the honest people would utilize them but I have met ONLY honest ladies [pics wise] so I know there are enough of them out there that would likely utilize other choices if they were available. Of course just ONE "decent" recent [within a year IMO] dated full length pic will always trump whatever she selects as body style.

A plus would be a lady who posts "consistently" in the Forums. She doesn't post simply because/when she is "angry" or because/when she is in a "chemically enhanced" stupor.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/10/2015 1:12:55 PM

4. Sport nuts
I'm not a sports fan.

This really translates into couch potato for me. I don't watch sports on TV. I go do them. I'd rather run. Rather go to the mountains and pretend to be a hiker. I'd rather get a kayak and go at it. Or take my mountain bike up somewhere and smack a tree. Ride my bike and do 80 miles.

If I want to watch any sports, I go to a bar and hang out with my friends and watch.
 sactownromantic
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/17/2015 7:36:09 PM
Here are my deal-breakers:
If they say they are a "homebody", it means they don't go out and enjoy the outdoors.

If they are in their 40's or 50's and profession says "student", it means they are unemployed and they're looking for a meal ticket. I can understand if someone is working and going to school.

If they say "stay at home Mom", again unemployed and looking for a meal ticket.

If they state what they don't like in bullet points:(this is from an actual profile)
"*No yellow teeth
*No facial hair
*If you are over 40 dream on!"

If they mention their exes.

It says "average" for their body type when the photos prove otherwise, average means you are full figured but you still have curves in the right places.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 5:30:21 AM
Oluben, you made me curious, so I looked at your profile to see what your deal breaker was.

Hahaha, now I'm intrigued. What did those teachers do to you?

On topic: I had a ton of deal breakers, when I was still dating. Most of them were more a lack of what I was looking for, but things like bad grammar or a bad attitude with anger or entitlement issues were deal breakers.
 ohenryx
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 8:41:55 AM

Oluben
I have just put my very first ever dealbreaker in my profile because I am quite jaded of meeting a certain type of lady. But I have already had someone question if it is reverse pyschology. It is not.

LiliMarleen
Oluben, you made me curious, so I looked at your profile to see what your deal breaker was.

Hahaha, now I'm intrigued. What did those teachers do to you?

There have been a number of long threads here in the forums about this subject, people’s prejudices for and against certain occupations here in the OLD world.

While I do not exclude any occupation, I will admit to a prejudice against elementary school teachers. Not that I absolutely wouldn’t date her, or at least try talking to her (especially if she’s cute), but that definitely lowers her score (for me). Most tend to be conservative hard core Christian, the exact opposite of what I’m looking for.

On the other end of the spectrum, I really, really like women who teach at the college / university level. They tend to be rather liberal, and have a world view that is quite compatible with mine. And nurses, yes, absolutely, they tend to be the most down to earth, practical people in the world. Even when they’re religious, I can get along with them.

Back to teachers – teachers at the high school level it’s hard to tell. Some good, some not so good. I wish teachers would put on their profile what grades / subject areas they teach in. At least they do tend to list themselves as teachers, which is good, unlike so many women who put “I have a job” or “profession”.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:09:30 AM
When a fiftyish [or older] lady has in her profile "Looking for someone to marry". Not a dealbreaker but still... It's certainly OK to desire that as the ultimate outcome but stating it right up front? I DO give them credit for stating it right up front though.

But I have to wonder... Have they ever researched WHEN and WHY marriage was established, how little it has truly changed... and considered how different the world and our lives are now? Surely no one would argue that at least SOME of the vows, traditions etc. need to be changed to reflect the RW we currently live in?
 Qura
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:45:09 AM

While I do not exclude any occupation, I will admit to a prejudice against elementary school teachers. Not that I absolutely wouldn’t date her, or at least try talking to her (especially if she’s cute), but that definitely lowers her score (for me). Most tend to be conservative hard core Christian, the exact opposite of what I’m looking for.

Really? I never would have known that--I don't have many friends who teach elementary school, but a few who do fit that description. But they're just friends; I'm not dating them!!

I've taught at both the h.s. and college level. My closest friends (male and female) are nearly all h.s. teachers and/or nurses--even my friends from high school, before we chose professions. High school teachers can be a *very* fun crowd--but there are narcissists who love the captive audience--they can be fun people but not true friends. Gotta watch out for those folks!
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:55:03 AM
Oluben, LOL, Yah I wouldn't have dated any of my teachers either. They were WAY to old for me.

Deal breakers: From day one of OLD, first and foremost, #1. Alcohol and /or drug abuse.

The following I learned over a period of time, to avoid.
#2. Marital status=Separated

#3. No grown children, and/or estranged from children. Also no family ties.

#4. Less than 2-3 years of single life following a marriage of greater than 20 years.

I can not compete with the ex-wife, who is NOW perfect, and YET,
SHE cheated on him during their marriage, not just once, but several times and yet the man wanted to forgive and forget. SHE had to leave him, before he realized the marriage was over, and even then he fought the divorce.
OR
NOW of course ALL women will cheat on their man, and SHE/the ex, was ....(insert some really bad words here).

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ No thank you!

+ + + + + Social drinker, family man, (my family likes him, his family likes me,) divorced for several years or more, seldom mentions the ex, AND doesn't blame me, as in "all women cheat", and last but not least, LOL, owns and rides a motorcycle.
LOL pretty simple actually!
 clooneystutor
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/18/2015 10:03:27 AM
I avoid discussing exes, but often the women will want to checkout my rear view mirror, and then discuss their past.

The only thing that really turns me off when a woman discusses her past, is if she left because not because of abuse or infidelity, but rather he was too focused on work and the passion was gone.

I call this the Eat, Prey, Love syndrome. Prey intentionally misspelled.

I'm not funding her spiritual liberation.

These are the types that often mention that this is my time now .
 Qura
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2015 10:16:58 AM
I would hope that at our age, all of us would prefer to be single rather than in a relationship with someone who has untreated mental health problems (addictions of any kind, personality disorders, etc., included)! So yeah, heavy drinking, gambling, gluttony, etc., etc. should be, by definition, "deal-breakers" for all of us.

My only deal-breaker that might not be covered by the above is smoking, although it too is an addiction, but most people don't think of it in the same category as drug- and alcohol-abuse. I am too susceptible to being pulled back in and would never risk my smoke-free lifestyle for another person. Maybe in a few more years it will be "safer" for me, but I doubt it--I quit a long time ago and just cannot be around it now, so I'm not sure that will ever change.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/18/2015 12:18:52 PM

If they are in their 40's or 50's and profession says "student", it means they are unemployed and they're looking for a meal ticket. I can understand if someone is working and going to school.

That may or may not be the norm but for me, personally, I retired at 39 on my tech stock and paid cash for law school. So at 40-42 my profession would have been listed as "student" and I wasn't employed. But also was not looking for a meal ticket, a savior, or dumpster diving.

YMMV.
 sactownromantic
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/18/2015 5:27:51 PM
^^I can understand your situation Cynthia and wouldn't NOT date a woman simply because she is a student, it depends on the situation.^^

A lot of women's profiles in my area state they are students, they also have children living at home. That screams they are looking for a meal ticket to me. Many of them are also separated, another deal-breaker.

Profiles with nothing in the "about me" section except "ask me", no interests listed are also deal-breakers. I guess we are suppose to play 20 guesses.

My +'s are:
Photos of her smiling.
A positive "about me" section that mentions what she likes.
Hobbies in the "interest" section.

Peas_
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:42:03 PM

PS What's a "skullet"?

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/14558029datingPostpage41.aspx

I have more dealbreakers. Let's just say I have narrowed it down to one man who doesn't have any of my dealbreakers. Actually, I stumbled upon him. I didn't do a search.
 LasVegasLori
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/19/2015 12:03:31 AM
My dealbreakers are men who send the first message, and once I reply with genuine interest, and questions to keep the conversation going, just reply with the answers to my questions, and no followup question.
 6146Catch
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/12/2015 5:18:25 PM
I don't get the "I want a man who can make me laugh" thing. Are all these women really waiting for a standup comedian to find them?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dealbreakers and +'s in a profile