Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dealbreakers and +'s in a profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sactownromantic
Msg: 201
Dealbreakers and +'s in a profilePage 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Yes I'm really 49, I don't use Grecian Formula so my hair is all natural.
 Dragracer428
Msg: 202
Dealbreakers and +'s in a profile
Posted: 8/23/2015 3:31:42 PM
Turns out 'text speak' is a turnoff for me, I have seen it talked about here and kinda thought so what.
But it seems I had never seen it in full flight so to speak. Messaging with a woman and she used every bit of text speak possible, she did everything on a phone though no computer. Think I may be way too fussy for a guy as low on choices as I am. LOL

Crookcatcher wrote

Not real fond of "have traveled abroad extensively in the past, would love to find that special one to do it with again". Um hum

X2 for me, not a traveller
 Maleman999
Msg: 203
Posted: 8/23/2015 3:53:06 PM
"X2 for me, not a traveller"

I'm a traveler. I travel to the beer store to get a six pack.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 204
Posted: 8/23/2015 4:55:24 PM
^^^ does this mean you will walk me down the aisle?
I think why usually a big gap can be a bit idk, icky
Crookcatcher could land a 40 year old, no problem.
Some young kid messaged me today..
Since I was thinking about all the whining " no replies"
When he did the lead in, then said
" I can't lie I want to be with an older woman"
I said
" ask your Mom out"
 JoeBnD
Msg: 205
Posted: 8/23/2015 10:11:00 PM

X2 for me, not a traveller

Nor am I a travel financier.
 ohenryx
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2015 10:24:23 PM

CrookCatcher
Not real fond of "have traveled abroad extensively in the past, would love to find that special one to do it with again". Um hum

I am totally freaked at the number of women on OLD sites who talk about foreign travel. I’m not sure whether they are rich, and are looking for a rich traveling companion, or they’re poor (like the rest of us) and looking for a sugar daddy to pay for their travels. Either way, it ain’t me, that’s for damned sure!

Maleman999
I'm a traveler. I travel to the beer store to get a six pack.

+1

CrookCatcher
Not fond of "God's way or no way" type profiles. I don't fault them for their belief, but I've seen some pretty cruel stuff and can't imagine that's part of any master plan.

+1
I do believe that religion is the opiate of the masses. But then, who am I to deny anyone what makes their burdens more bearable? If religion helps you to get through your days, then more power to you. I would never take away what makes it possible for you to keep on. But why insist that I believe the same things you believe?

CrookCatcher
Nope no 20-30 somethings here, heck it's tough getting a 45-50 year old woman interested on here, in real life nope....never comes up, ever. Now if my age were 59 it would make a difference. 60 is that invisible wall or line that you cross that others view as an electric razor wire fence. You can look but can't touch. Lol

You’re preaching to the choir here. Been there, done that. But miracles do happen. I had a date tonight (second date, or first real date) with a 52 year old woman. Very pretty, very nice. Liked me, kissed me, made out with me in the parking lot. Yeah, I’m excited, very high hopes here!

CrookCatcher
Also on a unrelated side note... while channel surfing yesterday, I have now decided womens beach volley ball is my new favorite sport.

Damn, you’re slow, bro! I found women’s beach volleyball years ago!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:19:50 AM

If so, then oh dear. I had more respect for you than your post deserves

Well, I suppose we could discuss the basis of terms used in communication, however, I stand by my post. Like all of the scientific community that resulted in the long term development of what eventually became known as quantum physics, discussions between the participants resulted in steady advances in the knowledge of the various quantum phenomenon.

The basic point here is that "visibility" to a scientist is more precisely "observability". This is not a function of the human eye, it is function of experimental observation. The fact you can't see a virus with your bi-focal does not mean it is invisible.

Einstein is best known, in my humble opinion, for the theory of special relativity and for the e=mc2 equation, the latter being a scale factor relationship, not intrinsically related to quantum physics. Heisenberg is best known for the uncertainty principle, a basis of the development of the consequences of quantum physics.

There are, unfortunately or fortunately, many other views of reality in the world of physics, and the discussion will be ongoing for many years, in my opinion, before any firm conclusions crystallize about things like action at a distance. In some senses, the uncertainty principle is not different from Zeno's paradox, and while its elaboration has provided modern physics with many apparently deep insights, it remains somewhat unsatisfactory.

We should remember that 100 years ago physicists were still publishing papers about the aether, 50 years ago the (undefined) cosmic vacuum, and today dark energy. All theories, never observed. There is a lesson there.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 208
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:41:41 AM
I have an interesting deal breaker that you likely won't see on this thread.

When I used a dating service based in Thailand, I would see a few profiles from Thai women but they lived in England, USA, Germany, etc.

I puzzled on this for a while, but came up with an answer.

They needed someone to sponsor them in that country so they didn't have to leave. They all seemed to have broken up with the man that had initially brought them to that country.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 209
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:43:13 AM
Other deal breakers for me.

Anyone that has ever lived in Nigeria regardless of where they live now, and anyone that mentions something like God is important in their lives.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2015 8:17:08 AM
It has to be true that at some level every person participating in the dating scene is looking the improve their lives in some way, otherwise, they would not engage in the complexities of the hunt. The sought improvement could be economic, emotional or social, and its sort of arbitrary to draw a line along any of these dimensions and call it a red flag. Let's face it, if you bind with someone, it will involve a certain cost and benefit along any or all of these dimensions, so your perception of a red flag is just an expression of your own perception of the other with respect to your own values.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 211
Posted: 8/24/2015 9:55:43 AM
CrookCatcher

Also on a unrelated side note... while channel surfing yesterday, I have now decided womens beach volley ball is my new favorite sport.

Ohenry

Damn, you’re slow, bro! I found women’s beach volleyball years ago!

Yesterday, afternoon, sittin' next to BF, on his sofa, giving my self a pedicure. My attention is on my toes, until I realized he had changed the TV channel.
She says, as she chuckles, "I thought you didn't like watching sports on the TV?" He replies as he continues to stare at theTV, "I don't. I could care less about football, baseball, golf. This is different. THIS is women's beach volleyball. Soooo much easier to watch. I like THIS."

New deal breaker. Nope, men who prefer football, baseball, and golf. Yes, they must love women's beach volleyball! LOL
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2015 11:20:02 AM

I am totally freaked at the number of women on OLD sites who talk about foreign travel. I’m not sure whether they are rich, and are looking for a rich traveling companion, or they’re poor (like the rest of us) and looking for a sugar daddy to pay for their travels. Either way, it ain’t me, that’s for damned sure!

Doesn't mean you got to get on a plane with her every few months. I actually have found out going on cruise ships is often what they mean. I know you have cruise ships in Houston. They take you from one hot and humid location to another hot and humid location.

When I used a dating service based in Thailand, I would see a few profiles from Thai women but they lived in England, USA, Germany, etc.

I puzzled on this for a while, but came up with an answer.

They needed someone to sponsor them in that country so they didn't have to leave. They all seemed to have broken up with the man that had initially brought them to that country.

One of the sites I used when I started was a Russian site that is pretty big here ( not for outsiders :P) but they have members in every country and city of the world where there are Russian speakers. Often I would get a message from a gal from SOMEWHERE else like,Washington or Alabama or New Mexico.

I know right away that they most likely either came to the country to work, or with a guy they are trying to leave from.

That being said, I realized that the Russian speakers who are on POF/OKC are more serious than the Russian site, although, many are on all sites( including JDATE). About half the gals I spoke to directly from the Russian site were either separated and living with the guy or divorcing(Russian guys). It basically is a hook up site for bored housewives apparently, lol.

She says:" He is at work so it is ok to come over for lunch"--LMAO

*Come to think about it all the free sites seem to be hook up orientated here-lol
 rearguard*2
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2015 12:44:51 PM

*Come to think about it all the free sites seem to be hook up orientated here-lol

Strange, in my years on POF I have received exactly zero propositions, and just about every profile I have read has indicated that the women are not here for sex!

Must be your location. I should move there, I suppose.
 2ufo
Msg: 214
Posted: 8/24/2015 3:42:43 PM
The only thing I know about quantum phenomenon is that light can be both (or maybe either) ray or partical.
I like that. It shows that contradiction is built into the universe.
 Peas_
Msg: 215
Posted: 8/24/2015 4:04:25 PM
long scraggly beards with noticeable quantum particles hiding in there.
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 216
Posted: 8/24/2015 6:09:49 PM
"It has to be true that at some level every person participating in the dating scene is looking the improve their lives in some way, otherwise, they would not engage in the complexities of the hunt. The sought improvement could be economic, emotional or social, and its sort of arbitrary to draw a line along any of these dimensions and call it a red flag. Let's face it, if you bind with someone, it will involve a certain cost and benefit along any or all of these dimensions, so your perception of a red flag is just an expression of your own perception of the other with respect to your own values."

Rearguard, you speak some serious truth here. Cost and Benefit is the name of the game - dating game theory even. I have tried to postulate the elements of the costs and the benefits for our age group but got the usual knee jerk gender politics (from men even - how crazy is that!). I enjoy the hunt but to a point, and that point is 'when does the kill (metaphor bad I know) leave the hunter with less nutrition than when the hunter started out with his hunt'?

Yes so many females post all of their preferences (deal killers) that are so shallow and ,,, well contrived - or as you put it "arbitrary line". Gee, I must be a saint for all the faults I would accept in a female should she see me as the high quality person I am and lift a finger on her part to meet me. But no ... yes I have my limits too but they are not even as petty as these entitlement queens with a man's height, or his hobbies, or his beliefs. Imagine what your grandmothers had as values for your grandfathers: hard working, honest, respected, loves children, talented, makes the world a better place than what he found ... There are good women with these values (not preferences -notice the difference) but the do not seem to be parked on these threads.

Rearguard, your thoughts on Einstein have me intrigued. My old crew used go gather around and debate so many issues of science, theology, politics, economics, ... One of our last was to what degree was Einstein a plagiarist? My undergrad degree was in physics and I had a professor who elegantly posited that Einstein was a great 'writer' of physics but not an actual physicist. It is no doubt a shame that Hilbert, Poincaire, Lorentz, Bohr, Maxwell, De Prietto will not get that honour of being the true geniuses of physics that they where because of a cult of personality in Einstein. The back story of geopolitics in this matter shores up the Nobel prize "gift" to Einstein (think the Nobel prize in peace given to Pres. Obama before he even took office!). What a dis-logically world we live in.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 217
Posted: 8/24/2015 6:55:12 PM

The only thing I know about quantum phenomenon is that light can be both (or maybe either) ray or partical.

Black holes.

Are they really devastating entities that crush all matter once inside them, or do they lead somewhere magical with unicorns and rainbows?
 sactownromantic
Msg: 218
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:04:17 PM
According to quantum mechanics an electron can be in two places at the same time, when humans observe electrons they appear to act normal.

I wish I could be an electron.
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 219
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:13:45 PM
Rearguard, your thoughts on Einstein have me intrigued. My old crew used go gather around and debate so many issues of science, theology, politics, economics, ... One of our last was to what degree was Einstein a plagiarist? My undergrad degree was in physics and I had a professor who elegantly posited that Einstein was a great 'writer' of physics but not an actual physicist.
------------
That is one of those Alex Jones-like conspiracy theories that is utter bullshit.

---------
It is no doubt a shame that Hilbert, Poincaire, Lorentz, Bohr, Maxwell, De Prietto will not get that honour of being the true geniuses of physics that they where because of a cult of personality in Einstein.
----------
If you think that's really the case, you have never talked to anyone who does math or physics.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 220
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:22:47 PM

... or do they lead somewhere magical with unicorns and rainbows?

Sometimes I question whether unicorns are even real :(
 VMinRVA95
Msg: 221
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:25:38 PM
So you are saying that Hilbert, Poincaire, Lorentz, Bohr, Maxwell, De Prietto never existed? Or are you saying that I challenged your State Religion? There is interesting history here and smart folks who do math (like Hilbert had to do for Einstein) and study history have spent a lot of time on this. But do go on pretending to know me ... Oh, "conspiracy theories" ... what a great self-censorship tool for feeble minds to shut down intellectual inquiry!
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 222
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:37:20 PM
Meh.

Denying your residency in Lilliput while standing on the shoulder's of giants.

The hypocrisy.

I'm gonna go step on some rolly polly's on my patio.

Hell, maybe I'll light 'em on fire too.
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2015 9:57:22 PM

Sometimes I question whether unicorns are even real :(

They are--I did a college theme paper on it

It is more symbolic than anything now--it's about pure of soul and going away from technology to a peaceful place --can be in nature or in a old crowded bookstore...

This was one of the highlights I found..."The Chinese called the unicorn 'K'i-lin'. To them, it was a symbol of wisdom. Around 2800 BC, the Emperor Fu Hsi wrote of seeing a k'i-lin. He saw markings on the coat of the animal, and perceived those symbols as a written language, thus giving credit to the k'i-lin for the establishment of the written Chinese language."
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 224
Posted: 8/24/2015 10:02:48 PM
Chinese emperors often had many mares in addition to their unicorn.
 Peas_
Msg: 225
Posted: 8/24/2015 10:12:31 PM
residency in Lilliput!

+1
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dealbreakers and +'s in a profile